Para Ordnance 14-45

PDA

Plainmark
April 6, 2006, 02:17 AM
:) I just picked up a used one in a gun shop today. I have questions.
1. What is the purpose of the spring-loaded guide rod and the hex screw in the face of it?
2. What do I do with a slide stop that won;t catch the slide on lst shot?

If you enjoyed reading about "Para Ordnance 14-45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LoadedDrum
April 6, 2006, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you have a two-piece guide rod. The Hex screw is how you take it apart. My advise to you is to ditch it and get a GI guide rod and plug. As for the slide stop, does it look worn? Or may be it is that your mag spring is weak. Do you have another mag to try it with? Arizona Gun Runners sells the 13rd Mecgars for this gun for around $19 bucks. Sure you lose one round in the mag but you can have 13 more loaded and ready to go with the money you save over the factory 14rders.

wally
April 6, 2006, 10:19 PM
Quality control on Para mags is pretty poor. I've had to work on about half to get them to function semi-reliably -- good enough for range fun, but I've never got enough rounds thru any of them without a feed failure to trust them for carry.

First problem is to determine if its the mag or the gun. Does the mag lock the slide back when you hand cycle it with an empty mag? IF not I'm betting its a problem with the mag. If it locks manually but not when shooting I'm betting weak mag spring.

For it to be a problem with the slide lock lever you should be able to see where it is worn or broken.

For most guns, trying new mag would be a definitive test, but unfortunately for both the Para and Mec-Gar P14 mags I've had too many new ones who's follower wouldn't come up enough to engage the slide lock :( Not really hard to fix and easier to stomach on a $18 Mec-Gar than a $40+ Para.

I also recommend AGR for the 13-round Mec-Gar P14 mags, the last four I bought from them did work 100% out of the box.

--wally.

Plainmark
April 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
:cool: Now that you mention it, the slide lock/release is sharp and as new as the gun is. The Para mags have sorry looking blue plastic followers that do NOT engage the slide at any time. They do not keep the slide open manually or automatically.

I think I'll call AGR and get a couple of mags. Tho this piece is fatter and heavier than my Springfield Compact, it shoots exactly where I point ... eeeentsy weeentsy groups... and it does not care what ammo I give it! And the LDA trigger is finer than the finest CZ trigger I have shot (and that has been a BUNCH of 'em).

Now, the guide rod. Not being a .45 person of expereience with naything but SPFLDs, I would like to know if the suggestion for a solid full length guide rod can be met with Para parts, or do I order from somewhere else and will it fit and will it decrease the MONSTER effort it takes to cock this gun>>>>>>>>>>> Plain

wally
April 7, 2006, 09:19 PM
IF the mag gets it up into position my P14 and the Armscor 1911-A2 P14 clone I have both feed anything.

Stock Para followers are black. I suspect someone changed followers (and probably springs) in an attempt to fix the magazine at one point. If your mags feed reliably, I'd look at the followers and maybe build them up with JB Weld so they lock the slide back. Sometimes all you need is a few strokes on each side of the follower with a file to remove the burr or flash that is keeping the follower from getting high enough to engage the slide lock. IMHO its worth trying to fix the slide lock issue if the mags are reliable at feeding since a fair number of Para mags aren't :(

--wally.

orionengnr
April 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
Two double-stack (six mags total)
Two single-stack (six mags total)

No blue followers (?)
No feeding problems with any pistol or mag.

Except when I bought that crap A-Merc ammo that would not feed reliably in anything I or my friend own...(never again).

If you go to M1911.org, there is a Para page, and it is monitored by a Para rep, George Wedge. He is great to deal with and I believe he willl help you out.

Best wishes, Rich

Plainmark
April 7, 2006, 11:45 PM
I can't wait to try everything you are telling me. Tomorrow may see the time I get to fiddle with the babe.

It is a big bulky gun, but I am an ACE with it. I think I will make it work and carry it.

Thanks again
Plain:p

Hawkmoon
April 7, 2006, 11:57 PM
I have a couple of older Paras with black followers, and no problems with locking the slide. I'd suggest Wolff +10% mag springs, and last I knew you could buy replacement followers for Para double stack mags from Dawson Precision.

LoadedDrum
April 8, 2006, 02:43 PM
Frankly, I am suprised that your gun did not have a one piece FLGR to begin with. My P1445 Limited came with a solid FLGR from the factory. It is 2002 vintage.

Plainmark
April 8, 2006, 10:50 PM
FLGR.. what kind of spring does it have around it? Where do I order one? the stainless recoil spring lug has a hole in it that might accommodate the flgr. This 2 piece that I found in this pistol had the standard 16# recoil spring wrapped around it too!

I got nervy last night and took the 2 piece apart and trimmed the spring 1 coil at a time until it fit in its own compartment without compression... reassembled with the recoil spring and voila! fine operating slide!..

PLUS the follower after closer inspection had a chunk out of it where it contacted (or should have) the slide release. I rebuilt it with epoxy used in boaat building that is like steel... hardened, shaped and working just fine.

I have a new favorite pistol!

Trigger is so smooth it is making me shoot better! I hate the grips tho. Need to replace them. suggestions for flgr and grips thjat will hold the ambi thumb safety in place?

Thanks
Plain

LoadedDrum
April 8, 2006, 11:08 PM
FLGR' should be a drop in affair. You should not need a factory original. Any quality make should do. You could call Para Ordnance and see if you can order one from them but it would be most likely easier order one from Brownells (part number 791-110-001, be sure to order the appropriate hollow spring plug) or Clark Custom Guns.

As for the recoil spring on my gun, I believe it is a standard 16#, but have never measured it. It is the spring that came from the factory.

Gordon
April 9, 2006, 03:51 PM
In praise of the P-14:
I just got back from 1000rnd HSLD intense 5 day course and used my P-14 as primary and a P-13 as a back up. it ran FLAWLESSLY! I used 5 15 round factory mags (2 were discarded as followers hung up before I left) and never cleaned the thing during the course! Of course I had replaced the nasty cast extractor with a Wilson Bulletproof one. The Commander style hammer was replaced with a new old surplus 1911A-1 GI one as was the strut (rough as a cob from factory) sear , disconector, recoil spring (18.5 Wolfe) firingpin spring,thumb safety and grip safety and a main and sear spring - all using surplus NEW in package GI parts . The trigger pull was a serviceable 4.5 pounds . The gun came with with the old style guide rod, but I removed the buffer. The factory sights were adjusted over but the elevation was right onn with ball. The factory sights worked great! I will replace the white painted front sight dot with a tritium tube in the future! A very accurate and reliable lightweight piece with twice the capacity as a single stack. I am in it just over a grand. It is replacing my $3000 Gold Cup full custom for training and on my combat kit!

wally
April 9, 2006, 07:29 PM
.45 ACP 15-round P14 factory mags?

--wally.

sargenv
April 9, 2006, 10:39 PM
The Blue Followers sounds like aftermarket followers made by someone like Arredando. I have some for my P16. I wonder if this gun had a life as a former IPSC or action shooting iteration. AFAIK Para followers in all calibers are Black as I've bought factory followers for my 40 and 9mm's (P16, LDA D18-9). The two piece guide rod works as good as the regular GI one and is mostly a preference thing. I have a tungsten guide rod with a reverse plug in my P16, and I have the stock 1911 short guide rod in the 9mm LDA. They both work fine.

In the action shooting sports like IPSC, going to slide lock is generally not wanted since it is a time waster and I suspect that may be why you have the blue followers, to disable the slide lock functionality.

Vince

Plainmark
April 10, 2006, 12:19 AM
But then.. I need the slide to lock open. I do not shoot IPSC for I have no time. I just love shooting and I am going to carry this for my CCW. I know, it is fat and long, but I am fat, so who cares. Long is good for my failing eyes.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I am getting happier by the minute.

Plain

Gordon
April 10, 2006, 12:53 AM
I bought 6 factory 'made in Canada' +1 mags marked "15 round" in 1994 from Para. They have a 3/4" thick big rounded floor plate. The 14 round mags (I have 6 of those) don't have that thick rounded floor plate which makes a good speed load but sure doesn't conceal well!

wally
April 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
OK, +1 baseplates. I've one of those along with a few of the Arrendando +2. I never knew they came from the factory with them.

--wally

If you enjoyed reading about "Para Ordnance 14-45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!