.450 rifle

PDA

tension
April 6, 2006, 07:06 PM
I am reading African Rifles and Cartridges" by John "Pondoro" Taylor. He mentioned that the .450 rifle was prohibited in India but I can't find why.
I'll bet someone on this forum knows.

If you enjoyed reading about ".450 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 6, 2006, 08:32 PM
The Colonial Office was worried that insurgents could take .450 sporting rifle ammunition away from hunters and break it down for components to reload .577-.450 MH brass for their captured military rifles. So the .450 BPE and NE were banned from India and the Sudan. I think that is giving the wogs more credit than they deserve, but it was government policy. It let the various gunmakers bring out new non-.450s for the same job, which had to help sales. Things like .470 NE originated by Evans but popularized by Rigby and practically everybody else to this day; .465 H&H, .476 W-R, and .475 Jeffrey.

tension
April 6, 2006, 08:36 PM
Thank you. I wonder why he didn't explain it in the book. Very interesting book.

If you enjoyed reading about ".450 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!