NYPD Hitmen...

PDA

Autolycus
April 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
New York Cops Convicted of Mob Murders
By LARRY McSHANE, AP

NEW YORK (April 7) - Two highly decorated former detectives were convicted Thursday of moonlighting as hitmen for the mob in one of the most sensational cases of police corruption in New York history.

Louis Eppolito, 57, and Steven Caracappa, 64, could get life in prison for their roles in eight murders committed between 1986 and 1990 while they were simultaneously on the payroll of both the NYPD and Luchese crime family underboss Anthony "Gaspipe'' Casso.

Federal prosecutor Daniel Wenner described the case as "the bloodiest, most violent betrayal of the badge this city has ever seen.''

Prosecutors said the two men carried out two hits themselves - after pulling the victims over in traffic stops - and delivered up some of the other victims to the Mafia to be killed.

Neither defendant showed any emotion during the 10 minutes it took the jury forewoman to reply "proven'' 70 times to the racketeering acts they were accused of. The verdict was reached after two days of deliberations.

The defendants' $5 million bail was revoked and they were led off to jail to await sentencing May 22. The men's lawyers said they will appeal.

"It's an appearance of justice, but it's not justice,'' said Bruce Cutler, who once represented John Gotti and put on a thundering defense for Eppolito, claiming the government's mob witnesses were lying to save their necks.

Prosecutors said the two used their law enforcement positions to help the Mafia at a price of $4,000 per month - more if they personally handled a killing. They earned $65,000 for one of those slayings, prosecutors said.

The two officers also supplied Casso with inside information on law enforcement interest in the mob, prosecutors said. Casso was said to have referred to the two men as his "crystal ball.''

They were convicted of charges that included racketeering conspiracy, witness tampering, witness retaliation and obstruction of justice.

"There has never been, in the history of the NYPD, an officer convicted of being a hit man for the mob,'' said Tom Reppetto, co-author of "American Mafia'' and "NYPD,'' a department history. "There's cases of police misconduct, but going to work for organized crime? Wow.''

Caracappa, who retired in 1992, helped establish the city police department's unit for Mafia murder investigations. Eppolito, the son of a Gambino crime family member, was a much-praised street cop, although there were suggestions that some of his arrests resulted from tips from mobsters.

In his autobiography, "Mafia Cop,'' he portrayed himself as an honest cop from a crooked family.

Eppolito also played a bit part in the mob movie "GoodFellas.'' After retiring in 1990, he unsuccessfully tried his hand at Hollywood scriptwriting.

The former detectives, who retired to homes on the same block in Las Vegas, insisted on their innocence from the time of their arrests in March 2005. But neither took the stand at their trial.

The key prosecution witness was Burton Kaplan, a drug dealer who spent four days on the stand linking the pair to an assortment of murders. Kaplan testified that he served as middleman between Casso and the detectives.

Casso, known as one of the most brutal mobsters in the city, is suspected of involvement in 36 murders himself. Both sides considered calling him as a witness but ultimately decided Casso came with too much baggage.

According to testimony, the detectives "arrested'' a mobster named Jimmy Hydell in 1986, but instead delivered him to Casso for torture and execution.

That same year, the pair furnished the underboss with information on where to find Nicholas Guido, a mobster involved in a planned hit on Casso. Their inaccurate tip led to an innocent man with the same name, who was killed after Christmas dinner at his mother's house.

04-07-06 00:16 EDT
==========================================================

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060406144309990008&cid=2194

If you enjoyed reading about "NYPD Hitmen..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
Who guards the guardians?

And the anti-gunners want to render us defenseless and dependent upon the police.:uhoh: Not going to happen, Sarah.:neener:

Devonai
April 7, 2006, 04:49 PM
Anybody want to make book on how soon this becomes a movie?

db_tanker
April 7, 2006, 05:00 PM
I just wonder if they could get Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro in there...have to get Harvey Keitel and Micheal Madsen as well...hmm...mebbe even Benicio Del Toro and Jean Reno as well.

Man...that WOULD be a decent movie...

But of course, it will come to pass that someone will instead just get Steven Segal to do it. :(

D

Biker
April 7, 2006, 05:03 PM
You nailed that lineup! Now, if only Sam Pekinpah could direct the film.
Biker

Car Knocker
April 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
Serious question: Was anyone actually surprised that NYC cops were convicted of being mob hitmen?

gunsmith
April 7, 2006, 05:54 PM
that they would be hitmen, not that they are a little crooked.

in the old days, NYPD could be counted on to be fair.
when I was a kid they gave me a ton of breaks when they
could have sent me to jail, and I turned my life around.

NYPD has some of the finest men and women ever to
wear a badge and gun...God Bless Em!

they let me go for having pot on me and used to be
known for roughing up the guy who punched an old
lady while mugging her.

You could look at it as they were keeping the killings in the family, bad guys wacking bad guys...except for they messed up and got that innocent guy wacked.....or maybe he wasn't thatinnocent? I wasn't there I don't know.

seeker_two
April 7, 2006, 07:54 PM
Caracappa, who retired in 1992, helped establish the city police department's unit for Mafia murder investigations. Eppolito, the son of a Gambino crime family member, was a much-praised street cop, although there were suggestions that some of his arrests resulted from tips from mobsters.

The Mafia always had a healthy appreciation for irony... :D

I'll take two tickets for the upcoming movie--as long as DeNiro, Pacino, and Anthony LaPaglia are signed up for starring roles... :cool:

Standing Wolf
April 7, 2006, 09:26 PM
Only the police and military can be trusted with guns.

Furncliff
April 7, 2006, 10:54 PM

...........atterdaylampoon.com/GAroundup/lookalikes/deceased/brian_dennehey.jpg[/IMG]

Don't Tread On Me
April 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
Only the police and military can be trusted with guns.

Geno
April 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
I admit that there is good and bad within all groups, but this is over the edge. This isn't looking the other way when someone runs a stoplight. There is a massive, massive difference here. They broke the highest of honor codes! I'm absolutely shocked!

Doc2005 :eek:

Furncliff
April 7, 2006, 11:09 PM
.....................MOB COPS......

The movie,,,starring Robert Deniro and Brian Dennehy....

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0404/8457289_240X180.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:bnfQMhQYQ-TquM:starophile.free.fr/wallpapers/robert_de_niro_001.jpg

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0404/8457364_240X180.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:TA7rylS-D3P_KM:www.latterdaylampoon.com/GAroundup/lookalikes/deceased/brian_dennehey.jpg

DJJ
April 7, 2006, 11:52 PM
Serious question: Was anyone actually surprised that NYC cops were convicted of being mob hitmen?

Surprised that they were hitmen, or surprised that they were convicted?

Only slightly, and yes.

roo_ster
April 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
NYPD is large enough that they'll find one or two of just about anything working for them.

Of course, this sort of thing is to be assiduously ferretted out. It is akin to the CIA having a terrorist mole.

F4GIB
April 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
Move along, mind your own business, nothing to see here.

This never happened.

The background checks, psychological evaluations, academy training, field testing, supervision, IAD, and administrative excellence of our Department insure this could never happen. Don't believe everything you see or hear from the anti-police media.

Move along.

Autolycus
April 8, 2006, 09:09 PM
F4GIB: If I remember you used to post on the Coptalk forum of Glocktalk. You know all about the Blue Wall Mentalitity.

And for the record I am not surprised at them not being hitmen. I am shocked as others they were actually convicted.

wheelgunslinger
April 8, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hey, this has already been an episode of Law and Order. Not a bad one either.

I don't find it surprising that this happened. NYC is a place where lines can get blurred easily.
Keep moving. Nothing to see here.

F4GIB
April 9, 2006, 12:33 AM
F4GIB: If I remember you used to post on the Coptalk forum of Glocktalk. You know all about the Blue Wall Mentalitity.

Their management doesn't want to hear criticism of LE activities "no mo."

glockamolee
April 9, 2006, 12:37 AM
Nah........ Never happened. The Police are there to "protect."

If you enjoyed reading about "NYPD Hitmen..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!