Need help finding a Madison essay

PDA

MacPelto
April 8, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hi y'all,

I'm writing a paper for my judicial interpretation class, and am hoping that somebody out there knows where I can find a copy of James Madison's essay Sovereignty in print. I have the text of it on-line, but am looking for a hard copy of it to use for a citation. It can be contained in a collection, microfilm, whatever, but it would ideally be library-accessible.

Any help is appreciated.

Mac

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help finding a Madison essay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigFatKen
April 8, 2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe someone else can help with this.

http://www.founding.com/library/lbody.cfm?id=188&parent=58

Ralph
April 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
I did some searching and this is what I found. Have not yet been able to verify that this essay is indeed included in this book, although several postings alluded to that fact. You will have to check further.

A valuable one-volume compilation of Madison's writings is Marvin Meyers, ed., The Mind of the Founder: Sources of the Political Thought of James Madison (Hanover, N.H., 1981). ISBN: 0585269408 0874512018

Go to this link and you will find three libraries in Texas that have this book.
http://tinyurl.com/s5oa9

Abilene Christian University, Brown Library
Abilene Public Library
Amarillo Public Library

I hope this is helpful.

Ralph

MacPelto
April 8, 2006, 09:34 PM
Excellent, thank you Ralph! I foresee myself using the website that you linked in the future.

It will be a simple matter to find out if the essay is in this book, we have five copies of it here on campus, in various libraries!:cool:

if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out that it was (possibly) included in there?

Again, thank you,

Mac

Ralph
April 8, 2006, 09:55 PM
I just started chasing things around the internet.
I started by looking for the essay.
Then after reading some posts about this book I Googled the book to see who might list it besides someone wanting to sell it and this Find in a library link showed up.
Glad to be of help.
Ralph

Dannyboy
April 8, 2006, 10:08 PM
How about The Papers of James Madison? Should be able to find it at the UT library.

MacPelto
April 9, 2006, 11:30 AM
I'll look there, too. Thanks

Mac

MacPelto
April 10, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I looked in both of those, and no good in either one.:(

Anybody else have an idea?

Mac

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help finding a Madison essay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!