New...

PDA

30-06 lover
April 9, 2006, 02:03 AM
I am getting a 6mm Remington in the next few days, and would like to start loading my own for the gun due to high costs of factory ammo. By chance, I have an old "Lee Loader" for 6mm, but I have never used one or ever reloaded for that matter. Is that all I need? The directions seems fairly simple and straight forward, but I have a couple questions. There is a Powder measure for the Lee set already. Do I just fill up the powder measure and pore it in? If I do reload with this set, will it give me enough energy to hunt with? I will most likely be loading Nosler Partitions if I do reload, becuase I will be hunting coyotes mostly and deer occasionally. I have not the first clue on reloading, so any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
-Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "New..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
April 9, 2006, 02:25 AM
Step #1; Get a manual, better yet get two of them.

Step #2; Get a scale.

The measure will require a scale to properly set it. You need good safe load data for the cartridge and instruction on what you need to do, what you need to use and why you need to do certain steps. The manuals will explain these and help with safety tips and pictures to help guide you.

loadedround
April 9, 2006, 09:46 PM
Ol Joe gave you good advice but to answer your question, yes there should be a powder scoop in the set. Along with the scoop there should be a set of instructions giving very safe starting loads that can be measured out with the scoop. There will be powder recommendations also for you to follow. This Lee set will load good ammo for you, but the main drawback is that is so damn slow. Learn to use it and then consider one of the Lee starter kits with a bench mounted press, powder measure and scale. Many oldtime reloaders started with the same kit you now have.

jaimeshawn
April 10, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, the Lee Loader is all the equipment you need - then just snare some primers, brass, powder and bullets and you are good to go. The Loader should have had starting loads in the instructions. Did your loader not come with instructions?

If not, you might check the www.leeprecision.com website to see if a copy is posted on line.

Grumulkin
April 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
The Lee Loader has every thing you need except a case length guage and a case trimmer. The powder measure it comes with is pretty foolproof but of course you don't have the flexibility to try other powders and different weights of powders without a scale.

If you enjoyed reading about "New..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!