Ballester Molina slide release and what not

PDA

dryrot141
April 9, 2006, 01:13 PM
I found a BM in my recently diceased(sp) grandpas closet. I'm assuming he got it in ww2, Why its from Argentenia instead of the US I have no idea. Did a bit of research and then stripped it down and cleaned it, possibly for the first time ever (The gun was NASTY). With a good amount of effort I managed to put it back together (I removed the hammer for some silly reason). I also found 2 magazines in a file cabinet in the basement, 1 shiny and empty, the other rusty with 6 rounds in it. I removed the bullets, 2 of which were from SC (crystler) and the other 4 where WCC(western cartrige company) The dates on the bullets ranged from 41 to 43.
Anyway after being cleaned and re assembled, I tried racking back the slide and it was still very hard to pull back and the hammer was pretty hard to cock back also (but no different than it was before I took it apart). Then I tried putting in the shiny empty mag and racked the slide to see if it stayed locked back, which it did. Then I tried to hit the slide release and I couldn't budge it with 1 thumb, I had to use both to get it to finally move and release the slide I tried this a couple more times with the same result. I ejected the mag (popped out real quick like) and then tried the rusty, empty one. It didn't slide in as smoothly as the other one and I had to give it a little extra push to get it all the way in. Pulled back the slide to see it lock back and then tried the slide release Which was a bit easier in that I only needed a lot of effort with 1 thumb instead of 2. Tried that again a few times with the same result. Then I hit the mag release with my hand ready to cath the quick moving magazine but it was pointless because the mag was stuck in the gun I tried to pull it out from the bottom lip of the magazine but it started to bend and seaperate from the rest of the mag so I stopped and jammed a pen into the open ejection port to force out the mag from the top. And thus ends my little story.

What I want to know is:
1 Should the slide be really difficult to pull back as well as the hammer?
2 Why was the slide release so hard to do with one mag but not the other?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballester Molina slide release and what not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Ballester Molina slide release and what not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!