Marlin 39A Rear Sight Assembly Question

PDA

cslinger
April 9, 2006, 07:03 PM
Does your current production Marlin 39A come with the sight elevation assembly? Mine did not, just a very cheesy plastic flip up sight. Very cheesy part for such a nice rifle.

Thanks

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A Rear Sight Assembly Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
April 9, 2006, 08:51 PM
I thought they all had a stepped piece/elevator that fit in the slot in the sight. As far as the plastic part goes, beat's me, I haven't looked closely at a 39A since I got mine over 40 years ago. The rear sight on mine is bent metal and doesn't fold.

Call them and ask them to send you one.
PO Box 248
North Haven CT 06473-0905

Send Product to (for returns/repair):
Marlin Firearms
100 Kenna Drive
North Haven CT 06473

By Phone:
Main Switchboard: (203) 239-5621
Gun Service (800) 544-8892

mainmech48
April 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
Don't know about current production, but doesn't sound like any 39 I've ever seen.

My 39M has the step elevator and folds down, but it's nearly thirty years old. IIRC, the new-production 39s at Wally World, etc. that I've seen recently were set up the same way.

If it bothers you, it would be a simple matter to get an old-style replacement from Brownell's or Numrich. Marbles and Williams also make nice open sights that'd drop right on.

Personally, I think it'd be more cost-effective to just get a good receiver sight like a Williams FP or Lyman 66. The Williams model 5D is cheaper than the FP, as it isn't micrometer (click) adjustable. Not a biggie, IMO, unless you switch ammo types a lot. Sight the flip-up leaf in with HV LRHPs or whatever you'll be using and make it your emergency back-up. FWIW, many of us do this with the formerly-stock unit anyway.

chuckles
April 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Mine is about 4 years old and has the elevator type but it's metal and does fold. I put a Marble's Peep Tang on mine and love it.:cool:

johnmcl
April 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Chris,

My 39A is a year old and has the step platform and the fold down sight. I'd recommend finding Brownells for a replacement, or contact Marlin directly. A photo of mine is below with a 4x Leupold on it.

I now have the same problem with this 39A that I have with my Garands. They shoot an order of magnitude better than I. :)

Chuckles, I'd love to see a pic of yours with the tang.

John

cslinger
April 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys, mine is definitely missing the elevation part. I called Marlin and they are sending me parts, but I also ordered a full buckhorn replacement.

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A Rear Sight Assembly Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!