Do I have time for Florida CCW?

PDA

imas
April 9, 2006, 10:38 PM
I am planning a trip to Arkansas in mid July. I would like to get a non-resident license from Florida so I will be allowed to carry in Arkansas.

Whats the deal can I download an application online? How long should I expect them to take to send me a license?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I have time for Florida CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannlicher
April 9, 2006, 10:43 PM
I believe they say allow 90 days. You should be able to get it done. Call the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, at 850-488-5381.

Hawkmoon
April 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
You should be okay, but it might be cutting it close. When I got mine, I think I remember it taking more than two months from the time I actually mailed the package to them.

TexasRifleman
April 9, 2006, 10:51 PM
I got mine back surprisingly fast. This was about 3 years ago but I had it back from first call to request the packet to license in the mail inside of 60 days.

Very efficient then, but that's been a while.

CDignition
April 9, 2006, 11:16 PM
do the fingerprint stuff electronically and it takes a few weeks....do the normal FBI cards and it will be 100 days

liberty911
April 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
Today is the 68th day since I mailed off my application from Kali. Still wating. I'm moving to Florida on April 29, so I hope it arrives on time. I couldn't use the electronic fingerprinting since I was out of state.

I did receive my Utah permit in about 30 days from mailing. Packing.org states Arkansas accepts the Utah non-resident permit. You may want to appl yfor both just to be sure.

El Tejon
April 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
Mine was 69 days (2003). Hope that helps.:)

Mizzle187
April 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
OKm I got my original(first time) Florida permit a week ago last Friday. It took me 82 days starting 2 days after I sent it. So a total of 84 days including weekends and holidays. About a week of those days was due to a delay where they had to send me a letter requesting more information. I was able to fax the info back to them. So you are probably looking at with no hang-ups under 80(from the day you mail it including weekends and holidays) days and that is if you mail your fingerprints. Ive heard if you can do the electronic fingerprints its like 2 weeks max. So if you have the application and all the needed info within 2 weeks you should be cool. Oh yeah they have to mail you the packet. Call them right away! The people I dealed with were suprisingly pleasant and very helpful.

TexasRifleman
April 10, 2006, 06:48 PM
The people I dealed with were suprisingly pleasant and very helpful.

I don't find it particularly surprising really. The State of Florida has to be making pretty good revenue on all those non-resident permits they sell.

baz
April 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
For those who've done it, how do you do the "electronic" fingerprint part?

And what can be used to satisfy the training requirement? I haven't sent for the packet yet, and they don't spell that out on the website.

I don't need a FL permit for Arkansas, seeing as I have an Arkansas permit. But the MIL lives in Ohio, and Ohio doesn't have reciprocity with Arkansas, so I'm looking for some other state's permit that would be accepted in OH. The two that seem most likely to work for me are UT and FL. But I'd have to take another class for the UT permit, and might have to for the FL.

imas
April 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hey thanks this is very helpful. I will be sure to get on the ball. I'll also have a look at Utah.

Does anyone know how I can do the fingerprinting electronically?

liberty911
April 10, 2006, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know how I can do the fingerprinting electronically?

You have to be in the State of Florida to submit the electronic fingerprints. Out of Staters must use the Florida fingerprint card obtained from the Department of Agriculture. Order one online at their webstie and you should have it by the end of the week.

bculp2
April 10, 2006, 08:37 PM
I applied for mine in November and got it 46 days later. I was out of state and did the regular finger prints.

carnaby
April 10, 2006, 09:08 PM
Here's another vote for Utah. They have excellent reciprocity with other states. More than 30 I think. :)

imas
April 11, 2006, 12:22 AM
I did the online request for the application stuff. How long do you think that might take to get to me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I have time for Florida CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!