What is this Gun Kote stuff?

PDA

Tim Currie
April 21, 2003, 04:19 PM
Just saw a post with pictures of some dudes FAL with "gun kote". Looked beautiful, I am thinking it could do wonders for my ancient looking SKS....

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this Gun Kote stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
April 21, 2003, 04:53 PM
Click here. (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150)

CZ-75
April 21, 2003, 04:53 PM
You need to sandblast before application and Parkerizing is recommended also, though K-Kote sells a phosphating solution to pre-treat the sandblasted metal before application.

Best to invest in an airbrush before you try it.

BB93YJ
April 22, 2003, 02:02 AM
Gun Kote was/is made by a company called Kal Guard. Predates a lot of the "baked on" finishes touted by some of the high priced custom 'smiths.

I've used it on several guns over the years with complete satisfaction with the results. When properly applied, it will wear with the best of 'em. You have to strip off the old finish completely, and I used a very fine sand to blast the parts after removing the bluing. (The blasting was for a satin finish, you could apply the finish over polished metal too). Then wipe down the parts with acetone or other like solvent and use cotton gloves thereafter to keep your finger oils off the bare metal. Then you have to heat the metal up to about 200 degrees, then spray on the Gun Kote, then return the parts to an oven at about 300 degrees or so, (can't recall exact temp.) Let it bake for an hour, I think, then take the parts out after they cool and lube and reassemble.

Be sure and do this while your wife is away, as the smell of the coating curing in the oven will put an aroma throughout your house that will not be appreciated by the wife. I kind of liked the smell, but then, I think Hoppes makes good aftershave...

You can buy a kit that has enough to do a couple of long guns that includes a PreVal spray gun from Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio Texas...at least you could last time I checked.

Good stuff, I will use it again.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this Gun Kote stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!