Wildcats?

PDA

griz
April 10, 2006, 05:49 PM
Are there any gaps in the current long list of available cartridges? It seems to me we have everything covered from almost airgun power to elephant guns. Maybe somebody needs a round to function in a specific action, such as a rimmed version of an existing round for a single shot?

Or maybe one of you has an idea for something actually unique. Let's hear it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wildcats?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
April 10, 2006, 07:14 PM
What's the matter Griz? Running out of something to do? Gettin' bored??? Pickin' on the wife can get you some excitment...:D

Frohickey
April 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah... something in between 12.7mm and 20mm...

Unfortunately, thanks to FDR, we have the stupid NFA34.

dakotasin
April 10, 2006, 07:31 PM
i've been trying to come up w/ a cartridge that will fit and function in the m1 carbine. the working pressure of the 30 carbine round makes it difficult.

dimensionally, the 221 fireball is a good fit. pressure-wise, the 218 bee is a good fit - but the rim and uselesness of the cartridge aren't appealing (reason i want to re-barrel is make the carbine into something useful)...

a 22 or even 6mm carbine would raise pressures too high... i'm still at the drawing board...

R.W.Dale
April 10, 2006, 09:37 PM
i've been trying to come up w/ a cartridge that will fit and function in the m1 carbine. the working pressure of the 30 carbine round makes it difficult.

dimensionally, the 221 fireball is a good fit. pressure-wise, the 218 bee is a good fit - but the rim and uselesness of the cartridge aren't appealing (reason i want to re-barrel is make the carbine into something useful)...

a 22 or even 6mm carbine would raise pressures too high... i'm still at the drawing board...

You've already been beaten to the punch.

.256 Winchester Magnum was chambered in some of the universal carbines. Also a .22 caliber was tried named either 5.7mm Johnson or 22 Spitfire.

LOL On another wildcat forum an old timer was commenting on designing a .25 caliber cartrige based on 7x57:rolleyes: kinda busted his bubble when someone pointed out that he had just reinvented 257 roberts

griz
April 10, 2006, 09:56 PM
What's the matter Griz? Running out of something to do? Gettin' bored???

Well yea, a little bit.:o
I was thinking of something along the lines of a "practical" wildcat. The best example I can think of was one John Wotters came up with. He wanted a small 25 caliber that would do well with cast bullets. Something like the 256 just mentioned, but he wanted it to work in a small bolt action. So he necked up the 222 case and it was just what he wanted for turkey and other small to medium game.

So here I am, so bored I am trying to think up something I actually need to get!:D

dakotasin
April 10, 2006, 10:12 PM
.256 Winchester Magnum was chambered in some of the universal carbines. Also a .22 caliber was tried named either 5.7mm Johnson or 22 Spitfire.

wasn't trying to come up w/ something new... unless you are designing your own brass there isn't much new to be had... already looked into necking down to 22, but pressures wouldn't work - thus trying to figure out how to get 218 bee pressure w/o the rim, and w/ easily available brass...

the 256 doesn't do anything for me... (the reason i want to re-chamber what i have... if i wanted a useless cartridge, i'd just keep it in 30 carbine)... anyway, when i find happiness, i'll put pics of my butchered carbine up...

Ultima-Ratio
April 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
Well. the .45WM has been done already how bout a Mini-14 with a .44 cal wildcat based on the 7.62 X 39?

Any Cal.
April 11, 2006, 03:35 AM
The holes in the line-up are in the big end. There are only a few .338's and only a couple .375's. These are also stompers that are overkill for most everything, as well as being chambered only in big, heavy guns. The 375.06 and the 338.06 are appealing, but I keep wondering about a .338.08 or maybe a .375/.300WMx2. I am not sure about the nomenclature on the second, but a shortened case. These would give a big bore in a shorter action, lighter gun, tough bullets, but without the huge casehead of the WSM. Something like 275g at 2200 in a short action would be a neat guide gun. If a guy started with a Savage, he could probably order all the parts he needed except the barrel. Similiar to the .376 steyr, but trading velocity for the shorter action.

redneck2
April 11, 2006, 07:04 AM
I've got a .357 Herrett in a 10" Contender. Rifle performance from a 10" barrel. Hunting and silhouette. Maybe 2-3 times the power of a full house .357 from about the same size package. This round was designed specifically for this application

note: use ear protection. OK, use double ear protection

USSR
April 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
dakotasin,

Seems to me, a .30 Carbine in .243 caliber would have some appeal. What about necking up the .221 Fireball?

Don

griz
April 11, 2006, 05:23 PM
I keep wondering about a .338.08

I've yet to see one, but I understand the new 338 Federal is a necked up 308.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wildcats?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!