College Student Sues School for...

PDA

Autolycus
April 11, 2006, 04:18 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rockford, Illinois – April 11, 2006

College Student Sues for False Arrest on Campus and Suppression of His Speech and Second Amendment Views.

Shaun Kranish, a civil rights activist and founder of ICarry.org in Rockford, Illinois has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Rock Valley College, its Board of Trustees, Police Chief, an officer, and members of the College Administration involved in bringing a criminal charge against him and preventing him from expressing his constitutional beliefs on Campus. The lawsuit arises out of Kranish's wrongful arrest on October 11, 2005 for “Disorderly Conduct,” following his request to meet with a Rock Valley College official to express concern about and convey information regarding school policy. Kranish and other members of ICarry.org disagree with civilian disarmament or "gun control" policies, including Illinois' reluctance to join the 48 other states in the country that allow concealed carry.

Wearing a jacket with “I CARRY .ORG”, the Internet address of the Illinois gun rights organization he founded, and a small empty pouch he had regularly worn on and about campus to represent the need for civilians to be able to defend themselves and protest their disarmament by their government, he voluntarily walked into the Campus Police Department and politely requested to speak with someone. He was thereupon detained for hours as the officers made countless phone calls and conspired with school officials to lodge a baseless charge against him in order to suppress his freedom of speech. When he asked to leave, they held him against his will -- preventing him from attending classes and taking an exam -- without a warrant or probable cause and eventually placed him under arrest -- his first ever.

Maintaining he was falsely arrested and maliciously prosecuted to thwart and silence his free speech and Second Amendment views, Kranish has retained Walter Maksym, a veteran constitutional attorney from Chicago, to represent him. Mr. Maksym, who obtained the dismissal of the criminal charge in State Court, filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois on April 7, 2006 seeking damages for Kranish by reason of the false search, arrest, detention, suppression of his right to free speech, defamation, interference with his education, to remove the false arrest and charges from his College records, and for injunctive relief to prevent the College Police and Administration from further suppressing Shaun's freedom of speech on campus. For more information, please visit www.icarry.org.

http://www.icarry.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=166&mode=&order=0&thold=0

==========================================================

I admire the cajones of this guy. I dont hace the courage to pull some of the stunts he is pulling.

If you enjoyed reading about "College Student Sues School for..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Optical Serenity
April 11, 2006, 04:47 AM
I was about to say, he has gonads, but...I really don't think he was going about the right way to express his rights and further the cause...

gunsmith
April 11, 2006, 04:49 AM
we might get somewhere

gunsmith
April 11, 2006, 05:08 AM
if he had a Che shirt with a picture of a gun, they would have shook his hand.
Students wear all kinds of offensive stuff and they come after this guy for
having a fanny pack and a jacket with no profanity?!
http://www.icarry.org/

GrammatonCleric
April 11, 2006, 05:22 AM
This man has my support. I really admire and respect his bravery.

Molon Labe
April 11, 2006, 07:11 AM
I really don't think he was going about the right way to express his rights and further the cause...The display of courage is always irksome to those who do not possess it.

He has my support.

Moral cowardice that keeps us from speaking our minds is as dangerous to this country as irresponsible talk. The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character. - Margaret Chase Smith

Wiley
April 11, 2006, 08:04 AM
I was about to say, he has gonads, but...I really don't think he was going about the right way to express his rights and further the cause...

OK, fair enough. What is the "right way"?

Maxwell
April 11, 2006, 08:13 AM
Small empty pouch == holster?

Well, either way theres blatently offensive stuff being worn by kids these days. I wouldnt consider pro-gun gear to be anything worrysome. I'd agree that if he was wearing lefty gear they would be congradulating him instead of trying to throw the guy in jail.

Since when does asking to speak with the authority warrent this kind of treatment?
The fact he got the initial charges dismissed heavily suggests that he is in the right, and that the college deserves to get the shaft.

Molon Labe
April 11, 2006, 08:23 AM
OK, fair enough. What is the "right way"?Oh, you know... writing a nice letter, saying "pretty please," etc.

As I stated, there are people who frown on any display of courage. This is because the display of courage is always irksome to those who do not possess it.

Baron Holbach4
April 11, 2006, 08:30 AM
. . . he voluntarily walked into the Campus Police Department and politely requested to speak with someone. He was thereupon detained for hours as the officers made countless phone calls and conspired with school officials to lodge a baseless charge against him in order to suppress his freedom of speech. When he asked to leave, they held him against his will -- preventing him from attending classes and taking an exam -- without a warrant or probable cause and eventually placed him under arrest -- his first ever.

I wonder if the Rock Valley College cops would behave in a similar fashion if Sarah Brady showed up to voice her anti-gun views? These kinds of totalitarian cops harm the image of good LEOs.

wheelgunslinger
April 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
Good for this guy. Sounds like he's manifesting his beliefs into action.
On most college campuses, there are "free speech areas" where you can let your ideas out to the public. Otherwise, the guys and gals of campus security will come and take you away for talking about religion, gun control, etc.
In the 60's, this would never have flown. Now, the baby boomers are in control of campuses and are strangling civil/constitutional rights. Where's the indignation, protests, and sit ins?
Good for this guy. Bad for the Cops who made up charges and detained him. :D

Tory
April 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
"But he ain't stupic, [sic] and he certainly has a very good lawyer. I suspect Illinios [sic] has punitive damages."

Note that the case was brought in FEDERAL court, almost certainly as a civil rights action under 42 USC 1983. That provides for damages, costs and attorney's fees, IF the plaintiff prevails.

It requires state action, however. If the college is private, and it sounds as though it is, he may need to show how the state was involved. I suspect that will be done through the state granting the college cops police powers.

TexasRifleman
April 11, 2006, 10:10 AM
The display of courage is always irksome to those who do not possess it.

He has my support.

Absolutely correct.

Where is the legal defense fund, I will show my support that way.

Brave move.

molonlabe
April 11, 2006, 11:20 AM
OK, fair enough. What is the "right way"?

How about "Write a strongly worded letter"??:neener:

Henry Bowman
April 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
I support him, as well.

Go get 'em!

Soybomb
April 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
Small empty pouch == holster?
He was wearing an empty thigh holster actually.

We've had this thread before and it seems to be a 50/50 split. Personally I don't think think he's aiding the fight for ccw in illinois, but ymmv.

TexasRifleman
April 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
Personally I don't think think he's aiding the fight for ccw in illinois, but ymmv.

And you may be right. He IS however doing what 99.999% of today's youth don't do, and that's to take a stand for SOMETHING.

Good on him for that if nothing else.

sam59
April 11, 2006, 12:54 PM
"he voluntarily walked into the Campus Police Department and politely requested to speak with someone".

Does this line from the story stink to high heaven to anyone else?

What does voluntary have to do with it? He walked into the police department would cover it just fine.

He politely requested to speak with someone? I get the feeling it wasnt polite and it wasnt just someone.

Maybe I am getting a little cynical of the media's potrayl of this type of "news", ok, I flat out think they are a bunch of liars and opportunist but thats another story.

If I was an observer to this incident that happened to be in the police department at the time I have a strange feeling the version would go something like this.

The guy walks in and asked to speak with the Chief of Police right now. He was asked if he could be helped by someone else etc... This was not acceptable and he said something about the holster/fanny pack/gun he was wearing. The officer(s) became concerned that he had a gun based on his statements and detained him.

I guess the point is if the entire story was reported more accurately (If it in fact is exaggerated) then maybe the actions of the Police Department were not so "Communist like" as potrayed.

mr_dove
April 11, 2006, 12:54 PM
He seems to be going about it the right way. He's making authorities uncomfortable without breaking the law (we think).

I presume the "pouch" is one of those older holsters with a flap covering the top. Those holsters are shaped alot more like a handgun than most modern holsters.

Mr. James
April 11, 2006, 01:03 PM
So . . . In Illinois is wearing a fanny pack or an empty holster considered a breach of peace? What, precisely, earned this guy the detention?

zahc
April 11, 2006, 01:12 PM
The only thing necessary to get yourself police detention on a college campus is to act a little differently.

Trust me, I know firsthand.

sam59
April 11, 2006, 01:15 PM
That was the point I was trying to make, it sounds really bad from the newspapers version but what really happened. The story is from a main stream newspaper so I think to even base any opinion from it is content is unrealistic.

Maxwell
April 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
Planned lawsuit? maybe.
Rosa Parks sat in the front of the bus when she knew it would get her in trouble with the law. The history of non-violent protest is full of small instances like that.
In the end they come to matter alot, because people can assosciate with a simple act that proves how silly a law can be.

A member/head/boss of the campus police is not fudal lord. Seems like talking to him was a simple enough request that, at worst, should have ended with them tossing this guy out on his rear end.
Not detained, questioned, and arrested.

I think the response to an obvious protestor is whats strange. You would think that being a college, they would know a thing or two about dealing with someone like that.

cordex
April 11, 2006, 01:38 PM
I really don't think he was going about the right way to express his rights and further the cause...
I don't think there is such a thing as a "right way" that gets results.

Sounds to me like he wanted a confrontation, got it and is using it. Hard to tell if it'll do him (or our side) any good yet.

If nothing else, he's taking LEO advice on the subject. He's not fighting the police, he's fighting in court. That's a good thing, yes?

Keaner
April 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
Grabbin some popcorn!

Crab Man
April 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
That was the point I was trying to make, it sounds really bad from the newspapers version but what really happened. The story is from a main stream newspaper so I think to even base any opinion from it is content is unrealistic.

What "main stream newspaper" are you talking about? The first post is from what the people at icarry.org have posted on their website.

sam59
April 11, 2006, 03:31 PM
Your right, it was a press release, my mistake. Since it's there own press release then it makes sense how they worded it. A little more fuel for the law suit.

eastwood44mag
April 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
I hope he wins, but strongly doubt that he will

Kim
April 11, 2006, 09:26 PM
Oh heck our past if full of people purposely doing things to make a statement. Rosa Parks was not some poor black woman who just decided on her own to do what she did. She purposely did so with others in tow to file the lawsuit. The ACLU does this purposely all the time. Roe of Roe v Wade was a plant in that case. Most of the great cases you think were just some poor little person doing something were really planted persons who had the legal backing already in place with their carefully crafted law suit just waiting to be jump started. That is the way the GAME is played. Reality and what one is taught is two different things. There are always shackers and movers behing the scene. Even to the point of being able to pick what Judge the case is going to be argued to.

gunsmith
April 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
an empty holster is only a threat to idiots and ego driven authoritarians!

The_Ferret
April 11, 2006, 10:24 PM
Some of you SERIOUSLY need to go read the whole story before talking about media accounts and "what really happened." This whole affair was posted on this forum when the gentleman was first detained. The whole story was written out. Before you talk about how he was "wearing an empty thigh holster" or "demanding to see the chief," you should go and read it. If it is not readily available, I'm CERTAIN one of the persons here will be able to furnish it or point you to it (Possibly on the icarry site). Once you have read the original story, please return to comment on this development.

-The_Ferret-

Soybomb
April 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
And you may be right. He IS however doing what 99.999% of today's youth don't do, and that's to take a stand for SOMETHING.

Good on him for that if nothing else.
Sadly I don't share your enthusiam. I'd personally love to see concealed carry in Illinois. However, I also don't want voters associating concealed carry with the guy on campus who wears a thigh holster. For every positive reaction how many people "man gun nuts...thats just what I want, a bunch of guys walking around with their swat fantasy holster on." Ymmv and all that, but I would prefer he not represent the cause with such methods.

sam59
April 11, 2006, 11:30 PM
The story is pulled verbatim from the icarry site and was posted in the first post. What I hear you saying is: Take the story as the truth, even though it is 100% one sided. Thanks for the advice, Ill take it with the same grain of salt as the original story!

Freedspeak
April 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
Interesting thing that seems to have been missed by some, is that he was made to miss an exam (after collusion with the admin.). Get him expelled for low grade point? (Tin foil hat icon!)

SAK
April 14, 2006, 02:01 AM
All accounts on our website I wrote myself. I've never lied about these incidents, and never will. I don't need to lie or exaggerate. And no, none of this was planned. I never expected for a second to be arrested. I was completely shocked and appalled when they told me I couldn't leave.

Anyways, I would really love to answer all of your questions and comment and all of that. Unfortunately I no longer can, due to pending litigation. When the authorities act against us and suppress us, we can either take it or fight it. By fighting it, you can only help your cause. That I promise you.

Fletchette
April 14, 2006, 03:40 PM
Many kudos to this college student!

I believe that we (as a community) need to be much more agressive in dealing with the gun-prohibitionists. His actions were entirely lawful and illustrate just how corrupt and dictatorial much of our nation has become.

My only concern is that this student will probably not recieve a fair trial. Chicago is full of judges that espouse "interpretations" of the Constitution, and I fear they will railroad him in court.

All animals are equal; but some animals are more equal than others...

jerkyman45
April 14, 2006, 06:48 PM
A bunch of college leftists playing favorites with the issues, thats what it looks like to me.

308win
April 14, 2006, 07:36 PM
In a perfect world he would be able to sue the officers individually and severally for their actions; hiding behind the ole 'I was only following orders' doesn't cut it in this instance. We're talking inalienable rights here, not the priviledge of operating a motor vehicle on the roads of the state.

Quaamik
April 14, 2006, 11:05 PM
Kim wrote:
"Oh heck our past if full of people purposely doing things to make a statement. Rosa Parks was not some poor black woman who just decided on her own to do what she did. She purposely did so with others in tow to file the lawsuit. The ACLU does this purposely all the time. Roe of Roe v Wade was a plant in that case. Most of the great cases you think were just some poor little person doing something were really planted persons who had the legal backing already in place with their carefully crafted law suit just waiting to be jump started. That is the way the GAME is played. Reality and what one is taught is two different things. There are always shackers and movers behing the scene. Even to the point of being able to pick what Judge the case is going to be argued to."
.................................................................................................

And the problem is?...........

Our side tried it without pre-planning once a long time ago. You might remember the case.

United States vs. Miller

See where that got us.

SAK
April 15, 2006, 03:50 AM
That may be the case in a lot of instances. I can tell you, though, that none of this was planned. I didn't even plan to go to inquire about a meeting that day, it just seemed like a convenient time. I never imagined they could or would arrest me (I was foolishly under the impression I had the right to freedom of speech). This entire ordeal has been more than I ever expected.

Here's a news article, btw:

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060414/NEWS0107/104140041

RVC student, gun-rights activist, sues college over arrest
By Jeff Kolkey
Rockford Register Star

ROCKFORD — A Rock Valley College student who says college police officers wrongfully arrested him is suing the community college for violating his civil rights and asking a federal judge to award him more than $1.3 million in damages.

A gun rights activist who founded ICARRY.org, Shaun A. Kranish, 20, said he was arrested for disorderly conduct in October after he approached college officials to discuss its weapons policies which prohibits guns on campus.

The disorderly conduct charge in December was dismissed in a Winnebago County courtroom.

Kranish said he was wearing his ICARRY.org jacket and carrying an empty nylon gun holster to symbolizing the disarmament of Illinois residents and the state’s erosion of Second Amendment rights.

“When you set up a gun-free zone, what you are doing is creating a criminal friendly zone or victim disarmament zone,” Kranish said. “You are encouraging bad guys to commit crimes there because they know, they won’t meet resistance.”

In his federal lawsuit filed April 7, Kranish said he was improperly searched, his jacket and empty holster seized, wrongfully arrested, and defamed.

Rock Valley College attorney Peter Kostantacos said the lawsuit is without merit.

“He got arrested because they were afraid he was carrying a gun,” Kostantacos said. “He has a strong belief and he was trying to demonstrate it, and in this instance I think he went about it in the wrong way.”

Staff writer Jeff Kolkey can be reached at 815-987-1374 or jkolkey@rrstar.com.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The only problem with it is the UNTRUTHFUL statements at the end. First off, this isn't some joke frivolous lawsuit without merit. I've never sued someone before, and never planned on it. There was no way in the world I could let them get away with all that they did to me. This is the real deal.

Second, they did NOT arrest me because they were worried I had a gun. The very first thing they did was determine (by way of illegal search I might add) that I was completely unarmed. It was over an hour later that they put me under arrest and brought a false charge against me. For them to try to make it sound like there was any concern at all that I may be armed OR that the police thought so is a complete lie.

Lastly, he doesn't agree with how I went about demonstrating my strong belief? So...I break NO school rule, I offend NO person, and break NO state law, I POLITELY ask to speak with someone, but I'm "going about it the wrong way"? And the punishment for "going about it the wrong way"? UNWARRANTED SEARCH, SEIZURE, ARREST, CRIMINAL CHARGES, and SUPPRESSION OF COUNTLESS RIGHTS. This is oppression, people, plain and simple. I knew Illinois was bad, but this is just outrageous.

Fletchette
April 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
SAK: I completely agree with you. Be mercilious in court. Get the school officials to agree to your charge of infringing on your rights, plus a small monetary payment, and they will think they are 'settling out of court' and getting off. Then get him fired for said infringement (in many cases admitting to conspiracy to infringe someone's civil liberties is immediate cause for dismissal of a public servant). No mercy.

If you enjoyed reading about "College Student Sues School for..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!