help me choose a commander

PDA

SkaerE
April 21, 2003, 07:25 PM
well, at least a commander sized 1911. or close to one.

i figure i can choose from a kimber pro carry, a springfield champion, a real colt commander, and...?

i cant spend custom $$ on this. so ed brown, rock river, wilson etc...all out.

i dont want a series 2 kimber, so i guess i have to buy used.
i would prefer an all steel frame. and would prefer a bushing'd barrel over a bull or cone type. - i have heard that the pistol will wear loose because of the barrel rubbing on the slide...that true at all?

anything else?

price range/differences for these? i believe the colt to be the least expensive?

If you enjoyed reading about "help me choose a commander" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FJC
April 21, 2003, 07:42 PM
Colt makes two different "levels" of Commanders - a very very basic one that runs around $550-600 street price, and a more upscale one (somewhat of a beavertail, ambi safety, front cocking serrations, some other features) for about $100-150 more (the XSE series).

In this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18429

I posted some details and pictures of a basic blued Colt Commander model I recently purchased. I bought it with the full intentions of sending it off to a local gunsmith for some major customizations - not because it NEEDED them, but just because I wanted them. :)

George Hill
April 21, 2003, 07:54 PM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PX9511L.jpg

Denny Hansen
April 21, 2003, 08:20 PM
The Kimbers are great guns. If you do get a Series II pistol, why not simply remove the extra junk, uh, I mean "safety features."

Denny

Smoke
April 21, 2003, 08:30 PM
Have a Springfield Commander. Good Gun.
Have a Kimber Ultra, wish it was a Pro.

IF I had the money and was buying again I'd go Kimber.

Kitt
April 21, 2003, 10:53 PM
I bought a Colt Satin Nickel series 70 Commander for $525 in very good condition. I throated and polished the barrel, staked on a new Trijicon front sight, and put in new springs. This pistol is 100% reliable and shoots good groups right to point of aim. I don't think you would go wrong with a Springfield or Kimber but I sure do like the old Colt.

Sproles
April 22, 2003, 12:21 AM
Bought a SWEET Colt Commander S80. I absolutely love the way it shoots and handles. I bought mine from a friend of mine who is in the gun business (major manufacturer) who did his custoomization on his own.

Custom Bead Blast finish (gorgeous)
Ed Brown Beavertail
Ed Brown thumb safety
New trigger and a few other things...sweet ride.

I say you can't go wrong with either one of the ones that you are looking at. Sometimes it is about the best deal that you can find and how patient you are and willing to wait.

Good luck!

David

If you enjoyed reading about "help me choose a commander" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!