What disqualifies from gun ownership?

PDA

Cogster1
April 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
I live in MI and my wife wants to purchase a handgun. She is worried that she is disqualified from owning or carrying because she went to a 1 week (not overnight) counseling center for depression as a teenager. She was also on depression medication as a teenager. Can she still own a handgun? Can she obtain a CCW?

If you enjoyed reading about "What disqualifies from gun ownership?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stiletto Null
April 11, 2006, 03:10 PM
She should be fine. "Depression" certainly isn't enough of a mental disorder (bleh) to bar her from firearms, especially if it was back in the day.

scottgun
April 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
An individual is disqualified if they have been involuntarily committed for mental health reasons.

Being depressed in one's younger years can be common, its good that she took some positive action.

It won't disqualify her from owning or carrying.

El Tejon
April 11, 2006, 03:33 PM
Congress makes me continually depressed, but I own a bunch of guns. They cheer me up!:evil:

Cogster1
April 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks all. I am sending her to get her purchase permit tomorrow. She is planning on getting a Walther P99 9mm. (She thought the .22 was "cute", but I wouldn't let her get that one.)

Stiletto Null
April 11, 2006, 04:01 PM
(She thought the .22 was "cute", but I wouldn't let her get that one.)Just to clarify, before people start piling onto you: is this for a CARRY pistol, or just for the sake of having a pistol?

Cogster1
April 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
Not a carry pistol. Just wants to be able to enjoy her husband's new hobby with him.

Stiletto Null
April 11, 2006, 04:08 PM
Oh dear.

There's a saying..."if the woman thinks it's cute, it's cute, dammit".

If it's not for any particular tactical use, perhaps you should rethink "not allowing" her to get the .22—there is no better way to instill good habits than to use .22 for practice, not to mention the ammo is dirt cheap.

What kind of .22 was it, anyway?

Cacique500
April 11, 2006, 04:12 PM
I agree - if she thinks it's cute and it's not for carry, let her get the .22.

Once she develops good shooting habits you can always go out and buy her another pistol if she decides to carry at a later date.

Cogster1
April 11, 2006, 04:14 PM
The Walther P22 - I know it is good to start out with somethign small, but I already have a 22 pistol. I don't have the cash to buy much, so I try to stick to things I know I will enjoy shooting. I saved for almost a year before I bought my first gun - HK USPc .40.

LeoC
April 11, 2006, 04:59 PM
If the words of the immortal pax left any impact on me at all, it was to let her choose. Consider yourself blessed that she wants to share in your hobby with you! A great thing can be turned to a disaster if you decide her gun for her. The choice of a P99 over a P22 wouldn't have anything to do with what you wanted to shoot, would it? :p

Stiletto Null
April 11, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hmm. I guess tight funds + "already have a .22" ameliorates it. I assume you've talked it over with the wife, and it wasn't a unilateral "NO YOU CAN'T HAVE THE P22 GET THE P99"?

BTW, P99s are sweet pistols. :D

Cogster1
April 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
Nah, who can control a woman anyway. She went for her purchase permit today and the gun shop said they can have the gun in just 3 days.

cz75bdneos22
April 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
best bet is to consult your state gun laws..in Texas, one is inelegible to CCW if unable to exercise sound judgement, chemically dependant or diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder that causes impairment in judgement, mood,perception, impulse control or intellectual ability. furthermore, suffers from a condition that is in remission , but likely to redevelop at a future time, or requires continous medical treatment to avoid relapse. also, if one has been involuntariliy commited to a psychiatric facility in the previous five years preceeding the application or voluntarily hospitalized in a previous two year period. more details to be found, but consult youe state laws to be sure...

BigFatKen
April 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
but I already have a 22 pistol
You don't borrow her shoes do you? Let her pick her own gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What disqualifies from gun ownership?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!