WI: About volunteering

PDA

Monkeyleg
April 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
Dear fellow WCCA volunteer:

Over the past five or so years, I've received thousands of emails from people who say they're willing to do whatever it takes to get shall-issue concealed carry legislation passed in Wisconsin.

During that time, I've seen many volunteers step up to the plate. And I've seen many retreat to the sidelines after we've been defeated. First in 2002, after then-Senate Democrat Majority Leader Chuck Chvala prevented a floor vote, then after the failed override of Governor Doyle's veto in 2004, and again after the failed veto override in 2006.

Frustration is understandable. Surrender is not.

What we have witnessed in Wisconsin is no different than what we've seen in Minnesota, Ohio, Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, and countless other states.

In each of these states, governors vetoed the bills, or the gun-banners coerced their pet legislators to block the bills, or the gun-banners put the bills on ballot referendums that were sure to fail, or the gun-banners went judge-shopping to find a court to strike the bill down.

Eventually, in every state, the gun-banners lost. But they only lost because people like you kept fighting.

Our NRA/ILA lobbyist--Darren LaSorte--once described these battles as a "travelling circus" in his testimony before a Wisconsin Senate/Assembly joint committee hearing.

What he meant was that, in every single state he's worked, the opponents used the same tired arguments, word-for-word, verbatum. Stale arguments, the last gasps from a losing side.

Since 1986, we've gone from 9 shall-issue states to 39 (depending upon your defintion of "shall-issue"). We've seen the number of no-issue states go from 19 to just two (Illinois and Wisconsin).

In fact, it took an absolutely gun-friendly, ultra-conservative state like Texas ten years to get their shall-issue bill signed into law.

Ten years!

There is no reason to believe that those of us in Wisconsin will have to endure a lesser fight, or that we will just somehow be "miracled" into the roster of shall-issue states.

It's going to require constant work by people like you and me.

For the past two legislative sessions, our fight has been with Governor Doyle. If not for his stubborn, anti-gun beliefs, we would have our bill passed and signed into law right now. Probably any other governor--Democrat or Republican--- would have signed this bill.

And so our fight is now with Governor Doyle and the anti-gun legislators who serve at his pleasure as leaders for his party in the legislature.

Governor Doyle has staked out his battleground for the November elections: money. He's selling every bit of Wisconsin to special interests in order to build up his own campaign war chest.

He's staked out the battlefield, and we must fight on that field. Those who have been in actual combat understand that you fight on the ground you're given, not the ground you'd like to have.

That means that we must do everything that we can to help raise funds for Doyle's opponent, as well as for the opponents of his anti-gun friends in the legislature.

To those who have become disheartened over the past five years, and to those who have just given up, I ask you this: get back into the fight. Right now, and with all you've got.

You can help by organizing your own fund-raising events, no matter how small they might be. Or help by volunteering for fund-raising events that others have organized.

We can win in November, but not if you're just sitting by your TV and watching the election returns. Crossing your fingers doesn't count as work, and it sure won't make a difference in the elections.

You told me and other WCCA volunteers that you'd do whatever it takes.

Well, now is the time for you to make good on your word, and your promise to help.

If you need help in organizing an event, or want to coordinate with other volunteers in your area, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dick Baker
Treasurer, WCCA, WCCM

P.S. There will be a fund-raising banquet on July 18th in Milwaukee, featuring Massad Ayoob as
guest speaker. We'll also have roughly three dozen fine firearms for auction, as well as other items.

We'll need about four to six people to register the guests as they arrive, and another four to six people to keep track of the bids at the gun tables.

On top of that, we're going to need people to distribute flyers wherever possible advertising the event.

And, please, forward this email to every friend of freedom you know, and to every online pro-gun forum that you frequent.

Please help out in any way that you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "WI: About volunteering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barbara
April 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
As long as I can be cranky, not cute, sign me up to work a table. :neener:

NukemJim
April 12, 2006, 07:05 AM
Make sure you post the address so us FIBs can find our way there.:)

NukemJim

If you enjoyed reading about "WI: About volunteering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!