I learned my lesson

PDA

crewzer
April 22, 2003, 12:51 AM
Well I work in an environment were I have a lot of people come in and give me there ammo, either through a firearms purchase or just looking to properly dispose of it. Well I went to the range with my Colt Commander Lightweight which has only had about 100rds through it, and proceeded to properly dispose of some ammo. I know your are already thinking STUPID! Ok I had that coming to me. My conclusion is that unless it is in a factory box, it gets destroyed! My 3rd round through the gun was a squib and the following round caused a lockup and failure to extract. Not having the appropriate tools to delicately examine my Colt without damaging the finish, I boxed her up and took her home. To my surprise the barrel had bulged about an 1 1/2" from the muzzle causing the lockup. :what: :barf: Well first of all I am thankful that the Colt did not blow up in my hand. Other than the damage to the barrel, everything appears fine including the extractor. I am normally a Glock kinda guy, so I would like some advice on barrel selection and any other minor changes I should make to my Colt. Without spending a whole bunch of money, just looking for a dependable CCW carry piece.

If you enjoyed reading about "I learned my lesson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
April 22, 2003, 01:37 AM
You could look into a Bar-Sto or stock replacement barrel. Won't be too much difference in price and either will give you a reliable carry gun.

WonderNine
April 22, 2003, 03:45 AM
The barrel bulged an inch from the muzzle?

I wonder if the squib you fired before the last round that locked it up even made it out of the barrel.

crewzer
April 22, 2003, 10:41 AM
I don't think so. I thought for sure I saw a new hole in the target. But that would explain the bulge as the bullet increased the pressure at that point

clown714
April 22, 2003, 02:42 PM
:) glad to hear you're alright;)

clown

10-Ring
April 22, 2003, 04:23 PM
You're alright & your gun can be repaired. As long as everything else is okay, I'd go w/ Blades suggestion of getting a Bar Sto barrel...Good luck & stay safe :)

If you enjoyed reading about "I learned my lesson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!