New (or rather really old) Use For Shotguns

PDA

Praxis
April 13, 2006, 10:25 PM
Just had to share this tidbit of firearms history. I'm a graduate student by day working on a dissertation on the railroad industry. Today while looking at material on the Central Pacific Railroad of California I found a great story.

Apparently the CP had problems with giant icicles (3-4 feet thick) forming at the mouth of its tunnels in the Sierra Nevadas in the 1870s. They damaged trains and blocked the tracks. To solve the problem, crew members were stationed at the rear of work trains with shotguns to blast the icicles as the trains exited the tunnels. :what:

Now that would have been a great sight!

If you enjoyed reading about "New (or rather really old) Use For Shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ABTOMAT
April 13, 2006, 10:38 PM
I think that in some places, shotguns with light birdshot are used to clear ice from power lines.

Bob F.
April 13, 2006, 10:42 PM
I know RR Dick that used a shotty w/slug to blast icicles from the cliffs along the track not nearly that many yrs ago!!

Stay safe.
Bob

cracked butt
April 13, 2006, 10:49 PM
Shotties, usually of large guage (8 guage I think) are used to clean mineral deposits and scale from boilers.

Rembrandt
April 13, 2006, 10:54 PM
....don't laugh, but I've used mine to trim hard to reach tree limbs.....does a great job!

Sam
April 13, 2006, 11:21 PM
Also used to remove clinkers from cement kilns. Rem makes a pedestal mounted 8 ga with sintered iron slugs just for this application.

Sam

pax
April 13, 2006, 11:29 PM
In Dorothy Sayers' book Busman's Honeymoon, written in the late '30's or early '40's in England, the vicar clears Peter Wimsey's chimney of "corrugated soot" by firing a shotgun up it.

Very funny scene.

pax

velojym
April 14, 2006, 10:50 AM
We had a more pedestrian use for 'em at the airport. Loaded a single shot 12ga with blanks or bird bombs to scare avians from the runway.

If you enjoyed reading about "New (or rather really old) Use For Shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!