GIANT bugs

PDA

kannonfyre
April 22, 2003, 03:53 AM
A frivolous thread this may be but please bear with me....

......was watching some B-grade horror movies last night about gigantic spiders with alien DNA and I was thinkin' about the best ways to dispatch such critters with small arms. Therefore, I put the following senario in front of you guys.

An environmental disaster results in some insects growing to HUGE proportions. These start muching on some sheeple and you encounter these critters on your way home from shooting. What small arms and what ammo is best for dealing with the bugs below?

1)A 250lb scorpion
2)3 or 4 80lb red ants
3)A 250lb tarantula spider
4)2 100lb cockroaches

Please limit the "solutions" to handguns, rifles, assault rifles and shotguns only. Assume that you don't have access to "HEAVY ARTILLERY".

Also, for any entimologists out there.....what are good areas to shoot for in large mutated bugs like those mentioned above?

If you enjoyed reading about "GIANT bugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chevrofreak
April 22, 2003, 05:14 AM
like i replied in another similar thread ;) i would like a short barreled Tromix .50AE AR-15 with some sort of frangible or explosive ammo

Pendragon
April 22, 2003, 06:07 AM
I do not think bugs are as vulnerable to punctures the way vertebrates are.

I could be wrong, but thats what I think.

twoblink
April 22, 2003, 06:29 AM
The old 30-06 Milsurp incindiary stuff.. Bugs seem less suseptable to holes as they are to fire.

Armor piercing 308's come to mind..

TallPine
April 22, 2003, 09:44 AM
If they are just "munching on sheeple" I think I would hold my fire for a while and let them clean out the gene pool.

Other than that ... the biggest rifle I could lay my hands on at the moment.

riverdog
April 22, 2003, 09:58 AM
I'd have to go to a 12 ga shotgun. Those sizes are huge for bugs, but they're about right for 00 Buck.

Betty
April 22, 2003, 10:30 AM
If you're going to shoot the mega-tarantula, aim for it's big, fat... rump. That's right, shoot it in the...rump. And shoot it alot. A shotgun loaded with slug or buckshot sounds good. When the abdomen ruptures, it's soon to be bye-bye for the spider, as it is unable to clot it's blood.

Tarantulas can snap off damaged legs in certain locations (like a lizard snapping off its tail to evade a predator), so aiming for a leg wouldn't be the greatest idea, not to mention the spider still has 7 other legs, and two pedipalps to grab you with.

*Dumb tarantula-keepers factoid that absolutely nobody else will care about: Did you know you can rescue a bleeding tarantula with super glue?

If you're really, really slick, or unfortunate enough to be underneath a stampeding mega-tarantula, you may be able to shoot the mouth/fang area. A spider can't slurp your juices if it doesn't have the hardware to slurp with. (However, it may be upset enough to catch you and cocoon you in silk anyway.):p

Important: keep still if you're unarmed. Tarantulas home in on movement/vibrations, and feel with their legs.

Zak Smith
April 22, 2003, 11:01 AM
How much rolled homogenous steel armor are the various bugs' skins equivalent to? This should determine how much penetration is needed. I.e. FMJ okay? AP required?

-z

BrokenPaw
April 22, 2003, 11:12 AM
*Dumb tarantula-keepers factoid that absolutely nobody else will care about : Did you know you can rescue a bleeding tarantula with super glue? You can do that to people, too.

A nurse friend of mine keeps a bottle of superglue around the house for small cuts. He says they use it at the hospital, too.

-BP, contributing to thread drift for fun and profit. And besides, Runt started it. :D

Justin
April 22, 2003, 11:15 AM
My 1997 Ford Thunderbird.
If I'm on my way home from the range, do you really think I'm going to get out of my car to fight giant mutant killer bugs?

:eek:
Short of that, I think a 12 gauge shotty is the way to go.

BTW, did anyone ever see the 1960's era Mars Attacks! trading cards? Truly some great stuff. (Yes, the movie was based on a set of trading cards.)

spacemanspiff
April 22, 2003, 11:46 AM
*Dumb tarantula-keepers factoid that absolutely nobody else will care about : Did you know you can rescue a bleeding tarantula with super glue?

for those of you who are inept with superglue and wind up glueing your fingers together or to other objects like that last bottle of beer last year, use vaseline instead.

250 lb scorpion? considering they only use stingers rarely and only when they feel threatened, i doubt a 250 lb scorp would feel threatened by too much, so you should only worry about its claws. punching through its armor would be tough, but its mouth area would be where i'd start spraying lead.

250 lb tarantula? i might be in too much awe to do anything. what kind of color patterns does this tarantula have? is it arboreal? terrestial? male or female?

Stabby
April 22, 2003, 11:52 AM
well if the 5000lb Electra 225 doesnt take care of em, I would probably go with a shotgun with slugs and a big revolver.

Jim March
April 22, 2003, 12:19 PM
Call the nearest exterminator - let the pros handle it.

Watch safely from a distance with a goodly supply of popcorn.

:neener:

Chris Rhines
April 22, 2003, 12:38 PM
What would a 'safe distance' be from a neurotoxin capable of snuffing 100# cockroaches? Would I still be able to see over the planetary curvature?

Anyway...

Did anyone ever see that movie with Robert DeNiro, The Score? In it, DeNiro blows open an "uncrackable" safe by drilling a small hole in the top, filling the safe with water, and dropping in a small HE charge. Kaboom!

A huge bug is pretty much a hard shell filled with liquid, much like a safe... Maybe I'd break out a few of my old model rockets and, ehmm, use them in a manner that would get me kicked out of NAR.

Failing that, a .30cal rifle shooting solids, or a 12ga with machined bronze wadcutters. Once the fluid starts leaking out, many bugs lose the ability to move. Hydraulic pressure, neh.

- Chris

fish2xs
April 22, 2003, 12:39 PM
...and nose plugs.. I'm sure the stink from huge burning critters would be intense!

one-shot-one
April 22, 2003, 12:39 PM
:cool: A SUPPLY OF SHAQ'S AND BIG SHOW'S (500+LBs. TV WRESTLER) SHOES AND A TALL BUILDING.:D

Mute
April 22, 2003, 01:01 PM
Who ya gonna call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!

And remember, "Crossing the streams is bad!"

TheeBadOne
April 22, 2003, 01:04 PM
Break out the old reliable, A pumper filled with DDT

foghornl
April 22, 2003, 01:05 PM
hijac.....uh, borrow the local Fire Department tank/pumper truck, with a few hundred gallons of Diazinon/Dursban/Pyrethrins in the tanks.....Hose 'em down with the 1-1/2" line....:D

Dependent upon how lead resistant their shells are, I'm thinking 12 Ga slugs, or some of the various .30/7.62MM FMJ rounds.

Soap
April 22, 2003, 01:28 PM
FN P90, make them leak.

Schuey2002
April 22, 2003, 01:41 PM
*Dumb tarantula-keepers factoid that absolutely nobody else will care about : Did you know you can rescue a bleeding tarantula with super glue?
Ahhh!! Now this picture is starting to make sense... ;)
http://www.olegvolk.net/runt_pics/tarantulas/shiva_mites2.jpg

Braz
April 22, 2003, 01:42 PM
Terminex armored personel carrier with a "lure" bug swinging on a spring on the roof. Flame thrower and fire extenquisher cannons. Fifty caliber MGs out the wahzoo. Gun ports and Barret sniper rigs for long range shots. Saaaay, you didn't see any dragonflies, did you?! :)

Elmer Snerd
April 22, 2003, 02:01 PM
If you're going to shoot the mega-tarantula, aim for it's big, fat... rump. That's right, shoot it in the...rump. And shoot it alot. A shotgun loaded with slug or buckshot sounds good. When the abdomen ruptures, it's soon to be bye-bye for the spider, as it is unable to clot it's blood. .

Runt is right. A spider's heart is in the upper abdomen. Spiders use blood pressure to hydraulically extend their legs, this should also help immobilize it.
The main trunk of its nervous system is in the cephalothorax(the part with the legs). If you (or some explosives) are under one, its lung(called a "book lung" due to its structure) is on the underside of the abdomen near where it joins the cephalothorax.

Spider anatomy: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spydawebb/anatomy.html

Arthropods are the opposite of vertebrates in that they have ventral nerve cords and dorsal hearts(the nerve cord is in the "front" of the body, the heart is in the "back" of the abdomen). The nervous system is not as centralized as a human's, even decapitation may not cause instant death(insert anecdote about the roach that lived for several days without a head, it died of thirst). Disabling the eyes and mouth would still be beneficial, of course.

My advice is to shoot for the thorax/cephalothorax for a mobility kill, then finish it off with Molotov cocktails.

For giant centipedes/millipedes, concentrate fire on the head and the dozen or so segments behind it.

gun-fucious
April 22, 2003, 02:22 PM
luckily in this gravity well, exoskeleton based lifeforms are size limited to Goliath beetles and Coconut crab sized beasties.

In earth's water environment the big crabs have a huge leg span but the bodies are still "only" bowlingball sized.

Unless you can hydrostatically explode the exoskeleton of a "super" spider,
rifle rounds are prolly gonna 30 caliber in/out hole to little effect.

Hosing them with napalm is a viable solution,
or you can call the professionals

Giant Space Spiders is why the Marines have the 25mm objective crew served weapon program
http://www.rocket.com/mca.html

dev_null
April 22, 2003, 02:22 PM
"This... is my BOOMSTICK!!!"

-0-

ball3006
April 22, 2003, 02:41 PM
and I believe the weapon of choice was a flamethrower. However, nothing worked on Godzilla....chris3

tobeat1
April 22, 2003, 03:05 PM
Mossberg 590a1 w/armor/bug peircing bayonet
Large can of Raid.
wd-40 and a bic lighter.

bogie
April 22, 2003, 03:15 PM
"Hello, 911? I think I've forgotten to take my medication. I'm seeing giant bugs..."

SkunkApe
April 22, 2003, 03:32 PM
There is a short story by Stephen King called "The Mist", I think. There were giant spiders in that story. People were trapped in a grocery store when a mist rolled, and monsters followed. If I recall correctly, they used bug spray, a handgun, and tennis rackets to defeat those spiders.

I wish a could remember what book had that shorty story in it...

SkunkApe
April 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
Oh. I saw the movie "Eight-legged Freaks" a few months ago. Good fun. Shotguns worked well in that one.

On second thought, couldn't we just direct the spiders to the zombies from the other thread?

TheeBadOne
April 22, 2003, 03:35 PM
"Kingdom of the Spider"-staring William Shatner

What was used against the spiders........

Fire Extinguishers! :rolleyes:

Sgt
April 22, 2003, 07:11 PM
Diazinon!!! and while that takes effect....I'm running like heck and shooting anything with more than 2 legs!!!!!

RAID!!!!

Dave Markowitz
April 22, 2003, 07:17 PM
I'm with Tallpine, let the bugs clean out the gene pool a bit. :D

When they're done, I'd use a spud gun to launch cans of Raid rigged to vent their entire contents on contact. :evil:

Hot brass
April 22, 2003, 07:31 PM
I would like a convoy of large trucks. With BIG cages, filled with said bugs. Take them to San Francisco. Let them feed. L.A.,next, then New York. Lets see, France(they may try and eat the bugs),Germany,and then off to China. When the bug population gets too big:what: NUKE the bugs. Make China (NUKED) the New World Prison. The really bad prisoners go to the hottest spots.
:)

Stevie-Ray
April 22, 2003, 08:31 PM
Couple of 10 gallon cans of gasoline, couple of super-soakers, and a Zippo. SAR-48 with all my mags fully loaded for backup.

IRONFIST
April 22, 2003, 08:40 PM
Absolutetly freakin' huge magnifying glass mounted on the back of an tractor-trailer rig, tele-operated by servos a LONG ways away. Bugs give me the heebies jeebies.. I attacked quite a few ant hills when I was a child using a little magnifying glass until I graduated to.... WD-40 and a lighter!

Michael in Sandy, OR

JohnKSa
April 22, 2003, 09:49 PM
Well, without getting into the biological reasons that "bugs" can't get that big and still live, I'd say a shotgun would be your best option.

Bugs are incredibly tough. I think that killing one bigger than a human would be spectacularly difficult.

They have spare appendages, aren't hindered dramatically by pain, and are very strong for their size. Add to that the exoskeleton and you have a very nasty animal.

I'd find a hole or cranny that the bug couldn't get into and shoot holes in it until I ran out of ammo or until the bug's effectiveness began to decline.

Preacherman
April 22, 2003, 10:38 PM
From the all time champion thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=87258&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) on this sort of thing, from our predecessor, The Firing Line:

1. "Anybody know a good recipe for vampire bat?"

2. "Ooooohhh... I'm so scared... Oh, by the way. D'all y'all fanged, scaly critters realize yer standing in a big ole pool of gasoline?"

3. "Yes, I understand that we can't kill him, but I don't think he's going to be able to do much to us without some form of locomotion. Now go over there and pick up his legs while I collect his arms. And I don't ever want to hear you complain about me carrying two 44 magnums again."

:D :D :D

Billll
April 22, 2003, 10:59 PM
Shoot arachnids in the abdomen. Shoot insects in the thorax. It's where the lungs are, and they die very quickly. As a child I played with a pistol made from 2 clothspins that would shoot toothpicks to deadly effect against grasshoppers. I once found a grasshopper I'd shot 2 days earlier, with a toothpick through his abdomen, calmly munching a leaf.
Against soft-bodied critters, use electricity. 40 VAC applied across a tomato worm will cause it to extrude its own guts!
Yeah, I had a depraved childhood.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "GIANT bugs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!