AK in .223 trouble with high cap mags?

PDA

22/22mag
April 14, 2006, 03:29 AM
Searching for a good AK .223 and have read that there are problems with high cap mags working right in the .223 AK.Anyone have info ?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK in .223 trouble with high cap mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grump
April 14, 2006, 10:56 AM
I've personally dealt with only a Valmet M76. Israeli Galil mags will tend to feed rounds to the back of the barrel, about 1/16-inch below the chamber.

It can be fixed by adding material to the front mag lug, to raise it up high enough for the feed lips to properly snug up against the receiver rails.

IME, at least.

grimjaw
April 14, 2006, 11:48 AM
I haven't had the problem with mine (Arsenal AK/polymer mags) but I haven't had it that long yet. So far flawless.

jmm

Drue
April 14, 2006, 01:04 PM
The only problem that I know of with .223 AK mags is that there are a number of different mags that work with the rifles for which they were made but cause problems when tried in others. Russia created the 7.62 and 5.45 standards when they introduced the rifles. The first .223 AKs were commercial and there was no "standard" to adhere to. The first .223 AKs available here the Valmets and they worked fine with their own mags. Then both Polytech and Norinco introduced their own versions and the mags were not always compatable across brands. The Global Trades .223 used the Bulgarian poly mags as do the current Arsenal rifles. The SAR3 works well with the EG Wieger mags. Vepers use the Robinson modified AK-74 5.45 mags.

Since Russia has developed the AK-101 that may become the standard. Since several former Warsaw Pact countries are now in NATO and use .223 AKs, there may well be a NATO standard .223 mag for their AK varients one day. Given the variety of .223 AK here now, just be sure to get the right mags for your rifle and everything should be fine.

Drue

Dr.Rob
April 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
Norinco and Polytech .223 rifles work with Norinco .223 mags, made in 5, 10, 20 and 30 rds. These mags don't always work in other mfg's rifles, however inexpensive AK-74 30rd Bakelite mags work fine, IF you only load 20 rds... there is a quick mod described at ak-47.net to conver the ak74 mags to take more than 20 rds.

MagnumCaliber357
April 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
:scrutiny: what do you guy know about hi cap saiga 223 mags? are they hard to come by or non existant.....

Dave R
April 14, 2006, 07:48 PM
I have a SAR-3. The first time I shot it, it had problems with one of the bakelite mags Century Arms converted for it. I fixed the mag, and it has not hiccupped in the 3-4 years since then.

SAR-3's were made to work with Weigar mags, which run $16-$25 each (last time I checked.) You can use converted bakelite mags, but they need BOTH some surgery on the feed lips, and a Robinson Arms follower.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK in .223 trouble with high cap mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!