Im Considering the Hi-Power

PDA

combatantr2
April 14, 2006, 08:26 AM
Im looking right now for a good and reliable 9mm preferrably the HI-Power model. Not the BROWNING brand but the FEG made 9mm Hi_Power. Im in RP and have seen the Browning HP model but it seems the price is off way my head right now and im now considering getting the FEG made.

Putting aside FEG as the manufacturer - what should i expect from the Hi_power features. (Im a 1911 guy). Such as safety features, trigger reset and mechanism, handling and reliability and the format in general.

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear constructive feedback as I will be making the downpayment by Monday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Im Considering the Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deanimator
April 14, 2006, 09:18 AM
If you can find one, you also ought to consider the Argentine FM Highpower. They have a very good reputation.

Pilot
April 14, 2006, 09:48 AM
I would get a nice, used FN made Hi Power. Either the FN or Browning branded models. Frr the few extra bucks you pay, you'll have an excellent gun that will last a lifetime.

Harold Mayo
April 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
Putting aside FEG as the manufacturer - what should i expect from the Hi_power features. (Im a 1911 guy). Such as safety features, trigger reset and mechanism, handling and reliability and the format in general.

Just as safe as a 1911 since safety is in the mind, not the gun. How safe are you with a 1911? That's how safe you are with a hi-power.

There is no grip safety, obviously, but there is a little thingie called a magazine "safety" by some, a "disconnect" by others, that doesn't allow the gun to be fired without a magazine in it. These are easily removed and you can throw them surprisingly far.;)

Trigger reset? If you're a long-time 1911 shooter, you will be SO disappointed with the reset distance and lack of a "positive" or, for lack of a better term, "powerful" reset on a hi-power. The reset is LONG (unless modified by someone like Ted Yost or Ned Christiansen) and there is only a small "click" that can sometimes barely be felt. Getting custom work done alleviates a lot of this but it's still no 1911. For a mostly stock gun, installing a Wolff extra-power trigger return spring helps some.

The trigger break itself may be horrible or may be OK from the factory. There are lots of things that can be done to improve it. No matter what, though, the BEST hi-power trigger is still not equal to even a "good" 1911 trigger.

Handling? Some people say the hi-power is the best-handling pistol of all time. Others don't like it. Only you can say.

Reliability? Unless you get an older one or a dud, it's going to be hard to find a pistol that is MORE reliable than a hi-power. Very hard.

If you're interested in hi-powers, you used to be able to get a lot of information on the old fnhipower.com site but it's now down. The next best place to go is probably Stephen Camp's site, which is, I think, www.hipowersandhandguns.com

chunk
April 14, 2006, 06:18 PM
i have a FM hipower, it kicks a$$ !!!:evil:

Black Majik
April 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
Holy moly! Everyone wants a hi-power now! :D

Billy_H
April 14, 2006, 07:29 PM
I love my Belgian made 1969 HiPower

confed sailor
April 14, 2006, 11:14 PM
i have a FEG, cant beat it, i almost bought anouther.

granted im waiting to inherit the "golden quartet"

Baby Browning
1903 Browning
1910 Browning
Browning HP

fvf
April 15, 2006, 06:10 AM
I have a Belgian made FN Hi Power and after have the trigger safety spring lightened (not removed as some do) it is one of my favorites together with my Glock19.

I forgot to mention that I use Mecgar 15-round magazines with it. Get the nickel plated ones because the trigger safety slides more freely on the smooth surface plating.

Had planned on selling it but reconsidering it after all the good reviews it gets.

combatantr2
April 15, 2006, 08:06 AM
As much as I wanted the BROWNING brand I cant afford it right now. FM Argentine brand? I cant find one here in RP. Browning HP cost about 3xxx than FEGs here. I believe FEG makes decent firearms, hell my 1911 says made in China.

Harold Mayo - thanks for a brief and concise response. But I wonder why HPs are categorically classified as single action when it seems from the looks of the trigger-hammer down, trigger has quite a distance from stock to discharge? Are HPs DA/SA?

Lastly how would anyone rate the trigger reset compared to other single action pistols, like the taurus P92?

fvf
April 15, 2006, 08:23 AM
Hi Powers are definite single action.

I have never had a problem with the trigger reset not having had a 1911 pistol in the past.

You might want to lighten the trigger safety spring. Some even remove the trigger safety altogether. I preferred to keep it in as it ensures trigger bar connection to the swing bar on the slide that connects to the sear.

Here it cost me about 40t Philippine pesos for a brand new Mk IIIs made in Belguim version. The recent models are made in Belguim and assembled in Portugal.

combatantr2
April 16, 2006, 04:37 AM
Whats the trigger resent on a HI-POWER? How would u compare the trigger reset compared to glock or taurus 92 for example. Glock website says their discharge is at .5inches.

Thanks.

Harold Mayo
April 16, 2006, 12:00 PM
Not sure about the Taurus. I would rather have the Glock reset than a hi-power reset, though. At least it's very positive and you know when it happens more easily. Distance is probably a little more than a Glock, too, though it varies with the individual gun and you CAN change it (with the help of a good gunsmith, anyway).

buddy.sxdp
April 16, 2006, 12:09 PM
Browning HiPower

Roadkill
April 16, 2006, 07:36 PM
I've had two or three Belgian HPs and at least three FEGs, also had an Argentine FM. Only one I have now is a German marked Belgian HP, is a great shooter. I personally liked the FEGs over the FM, but other than the crappy finish there wasn't anything wrong with it.

rk

robertbank
April 17, 2006, 12:35 AM
If it were me I would get a used FN or Browning stamped Hi-Power. Great guns though if you own a 1911 the trigger will take sometime to get used to. Great 9MM that may have been surpassed by others, Sig, CZ and Tranfoglio to name three but they are a classic there is no doubt about that.

Love my Mke 1 & 111

Take Care

Run&Shoot
April 17, 2006, 05:03 AM
But I wonder why HPs are categorically classified as single action when it seems from the looks of the trigger-hammer down, trigger has quite a distance from stock to discharge? Are HPs DA/SA?

The trigger on a an HP does stick out more forward than a 1911 appears, but it more like a long 1911 trigger. There is very little travel. It is only SA.

I removed the disconnect spring on my FEG 9HP and it is smooth and short. With the disconnect it is gritty as heck.

The machining on the FEG is defintely rough. I used a Dremel stone/polisher to smooth out the feed ramp and entry to the chamber. The hammer bit my hand web big time, so I used a Dremel cut-off wheel to cut most of the hammer ring off (now it looks much like the newer HP hammers). I also filed and polished the slide bottom that was a bit sharp. I bought two FEGs and they both needed to have the slot widened that you slip the safety into when removing the slide lock/pin which retains the barrel. A bit of Dremel work with a metal cutting bit and presto, it locks back properly for slide and barrel removal.

Would I like a Browning? You bet. I am sure the metal and maching are much better. But the FEG has worked well and was dirt cheap new ($225) when I didn't have much. Since then I have bought SIGs, Glock, 1911, Revolvers, etc. but have not felt the need to replace my FEGs yet.

threefeathers
April 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have two Brownings and an FEG. The FEG is a fine hand gun, it will take evey thing you put it through. Over time you can trick it up, trigger pull will get better as you shoot it, etc. Go to Highpowers and Handguns and many will help you. Get the FEG for now, then a CDNN Browning, then a Sig, in that order.:p

Coronach
April 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
I dunno.

How much longer with CDNN have them at that price? Or at all?

I would buy the CDNN one first, because that is a great gun at a great price. The FEG is a clone- not a bad one, but still a clone. I doubt that its reliability, fit and finish are up to Browning/FN standards, and if they are, I'll bet money that the metallurgy is not. This means that an otherwise-reliable FEG might wear out before a FN HP will. Now that's no reason not to buy a FEG (they're a good deal), but if I would get the "real" HP first, because their future is in doubt (according to the errornet) and if they are discontinued, the prices will rise.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Im Considering the Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!