Best games out right now that involve guns...

PDA

edamon
April 22, 2003, 06:52 AM
Recent releases that are great:

Raven Shield (www.ubi.com)

Counter terrorism game - over 60 weapons in the game very
accurately modeled w/proper ballastics for the most part.
No health meters and what not. Get shot in the leg, you drag
the leg. Head popper - good night. Graphics are amazing and
online play is great as well... but so is the single player.

Vietcong (www.vietcong-game.com)

Absolutely the best vietnam war game to date. The weapon
sounds are absolutely perfect and the enviroment is great.
Single player has a good story line, including VC tunnels to flush out. Multiplayer is good too.

Delta Force : BlackHawk Down (www.redstorm.com)

A little on the arcadey side, but great fun. Complete with about
30 missions, skinnies included. They really captured the movie well
in the games enviroment and execution. Multiplayer as well.

-d

If you enjoyed reading about "Best games out right now that involve guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nsf003
April 22, 2003, 07:40 AM
Operation Flashpoint Game of the Year. It has the Soviet Campaign and the Resistance campaign. Great game, very realistic gun action.

Codemasters (http://www.codemasters.com)

nsf003

cool45auto
April 22, 2003, 08:25 AM
Medal of Honor: Frontline

Lots of cool WWII era weapons.

Wilhelm
April 22, 2003, 08:45 AM
PLANETSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its science fiction but it has it all. Grunts, Support, Tanks, Aircraft, Anti-Tank, Anti-Aircraft. Oh and I almost forgot POWER ARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilhelm

cslinger
April 22, 2003, 09:22 AM
Police Quest SWAT 3. Simply the best mix of graphics, modability, firearm ballistics and the most complex control of AI team players in a most easy and intuitive way. My only complaint is I like to see the model of the firearm and they don't do this.

Ghost Recon. I just picked up the gold package on a whim. I really tend not to like the Rainbow Six series too much because I feel control of your team mates is much too limited and rigid. You plan and go and can't really change from there. No telling Joe blow to grenade a room etc.

Ghost Recon however uses an on the fly waypoint system and the ability to switch to whomever you wish and I think it works pretty well. It's a far cry from the SWAT 3 interface but it works. The graphics are beautiful and the sound is very well done. Again, my only real complaint is the lack of visible weapon models.

Operation Flashpoint. Very good game. Not a FPS but truely a military simulation. I have yet to finish this because it gets pretty complicated and is difficult. I really don't like some of the vehicle contol routines and really wasn't a big fan of that aspect with the exception of the simple vehicles such as trucks, jeeps, gunners in tanks etc. When you get to jets, helos etc. I don't think they should have been controllable because they had to simplify too much and took away from the game.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Realistic.....no. Fun? Absolutely. The normandy beach level is just like playing Saving Private Ryan. Very fun game. Good sound. The weapons look good and "feel" beefy. How can you not like a game with that wonderful "PING" of the Garand.

I have played around with the Ravenshield demo and the graphics are good and the weapn models are not too bad. Sound is good and the flashbang effect is great. I still have hangups with the AI control though. Not sure if I will buy this one.

Of course then there is Postal 2........if you have to ask:D

The Soldier of Fortune series, 1 and 2 are good for some light fun. The damage modeling is so over the top that it is kind of like gruesome fun.

I really want to try Vietcong.

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2. These are some of the best games ever. Campy, witty, fun weapons, gadgets. It is James Bond meets Austin Powers with boobs. Not the most realistic firearm sim but a real hoot to play.

Devonai
April 22, 2003, 09:30 AM
The Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life. It make MOH:AA look amateurish at least in terms of weaponry. DoD is much more realistic in that department.

Chris Rhines
April 22, 2003, 09:34 AM
IDPA, 3-gun, sporting clays, CAS...

:D

- Chris

Camel
April 22, 2003, 09:36 AM
Americas Army: Made off the Unreal engine by the US Army. Very fun team based online FPS. I think the weapons are all done well. I also like that the training missions, and honor system weed out some of the idiots. Oh and its free :)

OF
April 22, 2003, 09:44 AM
Operation Flashpoint

America's Army

- Gabe

Bacchus
April 22, 2003, 09:56 AM
Another vote for Ghost Recon.

Tag
April 22, 2003, 10:41 AM
Medal Of Honor Frontline for the PS2 is my favorite. Conflict Dessert Storm (also PS2) was alot of fun, as you could work as a team.

good question.

TheeBadOne
April 22, 2003, 10:49 AM
CounterStrike (didn't want it left out)

George Hill
April 22, 2003, 10:52 AM
Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, MOH, NOLF II, SOF II...

Indeed, all great games for shooters who like to play games.

But you guys are forgetting the Mac Daddy of realistic shooters.

Rainbow Six, but more importantly it's sequal - ROGUE SPEAR. I throw that out for the simple reasons of:
1. Longevity, it's been around almost as long as Counter Strike, but is far more realistic than Counter Strike (BTW, I dislike C.S.)
2. There have been a plethora of Weapon Packs that you can download to give you dang near every weapon that you could ever want. 2 of the best are the Sputnik Satilite mod and the beloved NATO 3 mod.
3. It introduced something no other FPS included before... Patience. If you just run out there like a Counter Strike player - you are so toast.

What other game lets you roll on a mission with a Marlin 1894SG and a Colt Python?

Oh, speaking of Campy Fun: Lucas Arts "OUTLAWS" has got to be the funnest. If you haven't played Outlaws, you gotta try it. You can get it for 5 to 10 bucks these days at most software shops. It's a cartoonish western theme that rolls all the Spaghetti Westerns all into one game. Loads of fun. No realism at all, but fun. You throw dynamite, fan your six shooter, and can even get rude with a 10 gauge double. SASS guys should all own this title.

OF
April 22, 2003, 11:17 AM
Rogue Spear is the grandaddy, no doubt. But America's Army has a vastly improved engine with far better modeling, movement, weapons handling, audio (fantastic audio in this game) and physics. Light-years ahead of anything else I've tried...granted I haven't tried much. I pretty much went from Rogue Spear to Flashpoint to AA.

AA rewards the patient as well, and the designers seem to think that is a key point - so new changes always look towards discouraging CS-like activity and encouraging teamwork and thought.

- Gabe

George Hill
April 22, 2003, 11:21 AM
But AA requires the use of central servers that have been less than impressive in terms of stability and speed.

If there was a LAN version and better yet, a Single Player version - then you might be right. The balistics are impressive as is the rest. But I don't want to have to burn my bandwidth just to get a little gunning going on.

spacemanspiff
April 22, 2003, 11:33 AM
i read a couple reviews of Vietcong that were less than flattering. i forget all the details but they mentioned the AI was almost too intelligent, maps had tons of glitches, aiming of weapons was atrocious, that kind of thing.

but the producers of MOH are working on their own Vietnam game, I'll wait for that to come out.

BlackHawk Down is okay, the AI in single player missions is really weak. skinnys run right by you without shooting, they have no snipers that i've come across, but it might accurately depict the resistance that Delta Force and the Rangers faced in Mogadishu, who knows?

I'm still hooked on MOH multiplayer. theres some new maps that have nighttime fighting, and excellent use of muzzle flashes to locate the enemy. look for a server called "Alous Beach Blast", or anything with Alou in the title. their website is www.mohcommand.com to download the maps.

vapor22
April 22, 2003, 11:42 AM
For pure multiplayer mayhem, Counter-Strike is hard to beat. Look soon for the next patch which will add a Riot Shield(!), the Galil, and the FAMAS...that's the rumor anyway.

If you don't mind the cheesyness then Soldier of Fortune 2 is pretty good. The AI is downright evil on that one. bump up the difficulty and you'll be fighting shotgun toting, grenade tossing, mofos that duck, roll, and shoot.

Will Fennell
April 22, 2003, 11:53 AM
Some of my favorites are ...

IDPA
3 gun
NSCA Sportingclays
FITASC

;)

Get outside and SHOOT! :neener:

OF
April 22, 2003, 11:54 AM
The server-based issues in AA are abysmal. It's a major negative for sure. But even with that, I think it's still a far more advanced experience than anything else. If LAN/single-player was available, it would be that much more obvious. But that ain't gonna happen.

- Gabe

Sven
April 22, 2003, 12:26 PM
Counter Strike
Battlefield 1942

Thousands of hours of my life spent in these games. Now I'm burned out on them.

kotengu
April 22, 2003, 12:38 PM
Ummm - 3-gun, IDPA, Highpower Rifle, Long Range Rifle.......

Stop playing on the computer and go shoot some REAL guns!

556A2
April 22, 2003, 12:46 PM
For the PS2 console,

Grand Theft Auto:Vice City, has a wide selection of weapons including Pythons, MAC-10s, UZIs, MP5s, Mini-14s etc. Good voice talent with Ray Liotta, Burt Renyolds, Gary Busey, fairly realistic, but very very fun. (Made a mistake with the 1911 having 17 rounds though, the game takes place during the 80s, but they didn't get the Glock for some reason :confused: )

Metal Gear Solid 2, Beretta M9 (silenced tranquiler dart though) H&K USP .40, H&K SOCOM, AK-74, M-16 etc. Fairly realistic except for the story.

You should go out and shoot, but when you are out of ammo, or broke it makes a good substitute :)

GlocksRock
April 22, 2003, 12:55 PM
HALO

Mute
April 22, 2003, 12:59 PM
Best right now is actually in the arcade. Police 911. Includes light gun and motion sensors so that the virtual character on screen representing you moves with your actual movements under the sensors (e.g. ducking behind cover, peeking out, etc...). It's also a great workout.

TheeBadOne
April 22, 2003, 12:59 PM
Spinter Cell- Xbox "Thee Stealth Game"

Diesle
April 22, 2003, 01:19 PM
What!!! Nobody mentioned SOCOM on PS2 yet!

Lots of fun!

Diesle

MPFreeman
April 22, 2003, 01:55 PM
Day of Defeat - Halflife mod. = Best playability of all.

Andrew Wyatt
April 22, 2003, 02:53 PM
DDay- a Quake 2 mod is probably the best ever WWII mod (or was, untill they decided that playbalancing the mauser and the m-1 was a good idea. now you have to shoot people thrice with the m-1)

HALO is great. it's realistic inasmuch as its consistant with itself, and you get to run things over in a warthog. always a plus.

tobeat1
April 22, 2003, 02:55 PM
Gotta throw out my opinion on this one.

Day of Defeat - Half Life mod, nothing better than mowing them down with a Thompson. (my personal favorite)

Rogue Spear - ROCKS!

Bravo11
April 22, 2003, 02:56 PM
My vote goes to Americas Army.

Your tax dollars at work.
If we up'd the defense budget we could have more stable servers.

mons meg
April 22, 2003, 03:24 PM
I have Raven Shield and DF:BHD, but I would like to second the motion for Vietcong. The atmosphere is first-rate...those guys in the black pajamas pop up over a log, take a pot shot at you, and disappear into the mist.

NIGHTWATCH
April 22, 2003, 04:16 PM
I give a big vote to MEDAL OF HONER- FRONTLINE. :D

The graphics, storyline and soundtrack are outstanding. You really sense that you are fighting the Hitler war machine in this thing, its great.

BowStreetRunner
April 22, 2003, 05:11 PM
Whenever I go home from school I get a chance to be addicted to Firearms again, it is a Half Life mod like Counterstrike and Day of Defeat.....
lots of fun IMO
i would like to try the new Countrstrike single player game coming out...I used to love the Online Countrstrike but kinda got fell away from that for Firearms
BSR

BerettaNut92
April 22, 2003, 05:17 PM
Splinter Cell is good but don't play it for the guns. Some neat stuff with the guns but the ballistics suck.

Neat stuff includes using BGs for human shields, shooting out lights to move under darkness and holding your breath while scoped to steady your rifle.

The .223 is anemic but maybe because it's suppressed? Definitely anemic for game balance to discourage run and gun play style.

George Hill
April 22, 2003, 06:30 PM
This morning I took my kids to school.
When I came home I played some Raven Shield.
Logged onto TheHighRoad.org and did some posting.
Unplugged and grabbed my Beretta and my Remington and headed out. Did some shooting. One 100 round box of 9MM and one 50 round box of .22LR expended by the time the thunder storm rolled in. Went to KFC and had some Honey BBQ Wings and read a newspaper. Went back out after the rain stopped and fired up another 50 rounds of .22LR.
Came back home and dinked around on the computer.
Time to go get the boys from school... Flipped on the radio, listened to Sean Hannity. Still listening. Brought the kids home... they are in the back yard playing and doing homework and stuff.
I'm going to post here for a bit, and then I'm going to play another round of Raven Shield... 35 Tangos, Veteran level, Streets Map, Suppressed AK-47, a suppressed Beretta 92, and 6 fragmentation grenades. (it's not about if I can clear this map with that kit or not - it's how fast I can clear it)

When Wiffy gets home in a couple of hours, then I get to go to class. Before you think I had one hell of a day, note: I also get to stay up till 3AM studying, eatting tacos, and drinking Green Tea.

*sigh*

What do you guys do during the day?

spacemanspiff
April 22, 2003, 07:39 PM
pretend to work. admire the fact that i get paid whether or not i do my job. d/l movies to watch when work is done. play movies with video minimized and headphones piping in the sound.

the days just fly by. i get more work done in an afternoon if i "watch/listen" to a movie while doing it.

22x9
April 22, 2003, 07:42 PM
I second S.O.C.O.M.

Stevie-Ray
April 22, 2003, 07:47 PM
George,
Sounds like a perfect day, I'm envious. Not so sure about your nights, though.

HBK
April 22, 2003, 08:03 PM
I play Ghost Recon on xbox live. That is a great game to play against other people online. I don't usually play by myself anymore.

Intune
April 22, 2003, 08:24 PM
Ghost Recon online rocks, direct connect @ 206.114.41.3 It's a SAR dedicated server. Up to 19 people, I'm Widowmaker.

MAKOwner
April 22, 2003, 08:53 PM
Raven Shield is pretty dang awesome. I've been playing that non-stop for a week. Online play is alot of fun, including the Co-Op terrorist hunt stuff. Lotta fun playing with 5-6 other guys and clearing a map.

I didn't care for Vietcong, online netcode sucks *** and the game just wasn't very fun to me.

I've been patiently waiting for the new version of Infiltration, a mod for UT. That will certainly be a sweet one to play (current version is sweet enough...) infiltration.sentrystudios.net

Autolite
April 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
I kinda like that one. Sure it's simplistic, but that's what I like. Anyone know where I can find a copy on disk ???

George Hill
April 22, 2003, 10:57 PM
Studying Psyco-ology. You cats are going to be my thesis.

edamon
April 23, 2003, 02:00 AM
Another one of my favorites:

Battlefield 1942

This game is just absolutely hilarious to play...some of the antics
that occur just crack me up. Plus it's the most fun mulitplayer game I've ever come across.

The latest mod for it (www.desertcombat.com) is absolutely sick.
Updates all the weapons and armorment to modern day... apache choppers, m1abrams, harriers, f-15's you name it. I recommend downloading it, it's free.

America's Army is cool too, but not enough interesting maps.

Ghost Recon is still a favorite, but the Raven Shield engine is so much better.. however I heard that they annouced a Ghost Recon 2.. which is awesome.

And not to forget Splinter Cell for the PC. Killer stealth game if you are into that kind of thing. Graphics are excellent.

-d

Wilhelm
April 23, 2003, 08:49 AM
Ghost Recon looks like Pong compared to SOCOMM.

Wilhelm

Admiral Thrawn
April 23, 2003, 09:33 AM
Rainbow Six III: Raven Shield

America's Army: Operations Version 1.6

Ham Hock
April 23, 2003, 09:47 AM
I am currently playing "Unreal II: The Awakening."

If only I could go down to my local gun shop and buy a gun whose ammo consists of mutant spiders!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best games out right now that involve guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!