1911 front sight dovetail dimensions?

PDA

rbernie
April 14, 2006, 05:16 PM
What's the difference between a Kimber cut and a Novak cut? They both look to be .325" front-to-back; are their angles the same?

I need to replace the front sights on a Springer and a couple of Kimbers (they all need a .150" height) and would love to just buy the same sight for all three if the dovetail angles are the same...

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 front sight dovetail dimensions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
April 14, 2006, 09:36 PM
Take a look at the Brownells catalog for specifics. There are three cuts in common circulation, and I can't keep the straight without looking at the catalog.

rbernie
April 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
Funny you should mention that - I was just doing exactly that. :D

It looks like the Novak Gov't front cut is .330" wide and .070 deep @ a 60 degree angle, and the Kimber is .330" wide and .070 deep @ a 65 degree angle. Novak has a Officer cut that's identical to their Gov't cut but is .010" shallower.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 front sight dovetail dimensions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!