How to carry a rifle on a motorcycle?

PDA

Molon Labe
April 16, 2006, 07:52 AM
A friend recently purchased a motorcycle. He was wondering how to transport his FAL. I was thinking of a vertical tube of some sort mounted behind the seat.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to carry a rifle on a motorcycle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunsmith
April 16, 2006, 08:14 AM
I used a gallatin case and duck taped the heck out of the connections on the straps.

maybe one of those guitar gig bags with shoulder straps?

Smith357
April 16, 2006, 08:47 AM
I use a hard case bungeed to the luggage rack on my old BMW. You would be supprised at how much stuff you can attach with bungees. Here is a picture of it with my camping gear from last summer.

wheelgunslinger
April 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
That pic is awesome! Nice old airhead too.

You can buy rifle scabbards and mount kits made for fourwheelers that bolt to the round tubing that makes up the racks on an ATV. One of those should be pretty easy to graft onto the side of a bike. I used to carry a surfboard on my bike.

Boxerrider
April 16, 2006, 10:57 AM
Everybody should own an Airhead or two!
ATV scabbord would probably work best, gig bag or hard instrument/rifle case should work as well and might attract less attention if that matters to him.
I suggest tie-down straps instead of bungies. Most can be adjusted from long to very short easily an when straps wear it's in a very obvious manner and give you plenty of warning whereas bungies can fail suddenly and with ugly (and expensive) results.
Is he just going to the range or is he really traveling? I would be tempted to just hang it over my shoulder and go if the ride isn't too risky.

Enjoy!

ID_shooting
April 16, 2006, 11:48 AM
Not sure of the laws in your state, but here, I just sling it on my back and head out.

DunedinDragon
April 16, 2006, 12:24 PM
Put it in a soft rifle case, strap it across yer back, and watch for the looks you get from the soccer moms as you head down the highway!!!!!!

Now THAT'S entertainment!!!!!!:eek:

armedandsafe
April 16, 2006, 04:57 PM
I used to head North out of San Diego with a scabbard strapped on each side under my legs, a hard case across the rear trunk and a soft case across the handle bars. You couldn't see the pistols and ammo in the side bags and trunk. That was on my R75/5.

The only problem with that was getting stopped by County Mounties, because they wanted to talk guns. :D

Pops

Rob1035
April 16, 2006, 06:13 PM
gotta post this picture I found somewhere a long while ago:cool:

Sam
April 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
I had my local shoe shot mod out a saddle scabbard to fit to the attaching points on my Commandos front forks. Set it up with a shoulder strap and if I had to leave the bike I just slung that scabbard over my shoulder.

The El Monte Ca. PD used to carry shotties on thier bikes, used the good old 'Lectro lock. Caution when mounted muzzle down it is rough on shell stops.

Sam

mustanger98
April 17, 2006, 12:30 AM
IIRC, the U.S. Army used to hang a leather scabbard on the handlebars/fork of their scouts' Harleys.

I'm not a biker so what do I know.

velojym
April 17, 2006, 01:01 AM
How about along the front forks? Just be careful about the suspension.

Foxtrot427
April 17, 2006, 01:14 AM
Is it legal to have it on your back like that guy with the AK?

Scottmkiv
April 17, 2006, 02:18 AM
That depends on your state laws.

Adventurer_96
April 17, 2006, 02:20 AM
Depends on where you're at, as far as legality.

If it's a short trip, I'd recommend a small gig bag/soft guitar bag, although the FAL can be separated in two really easily. Kind of along the lines of an AR, so depending on the backpack you might even be able to go that route.

Or, have your "backseater" ride with it at the ready.:what:

Strings
April 17, 2006, 02:56 AM
Shouldn't be that hard to seperate a FAL. I bungie my O/U beretta in it's take-down case to the sidebag of my Kaw all the time, and never had any trouble, even at freeway speeds...

gunsmith
April 17, 2006, 03:00 AM
that must have raised eyebrows!

rayra
April 17, 2006, 05:09 AM
wheelgunslinger
You can buy rifle scabbards and mount kits made for fourwheelers that bolt to the round tubing that makes up the racks on an ATV. One of those should be pretty easy to graft onto the side of a bike. I used to carry a surfboard on my bike. Seconded. Just got to steer clear of the hot spots.
I wonder how well a mil-style front-fork vertical mount would work.

rayra
April 17, 2006, 05:15 AM
"Is it legal to have it on your back like that guy with the AK?"

Humorously, CA doesn't require long guns to be locked up / cased. Just unloaded.
You could literally do what that motorcyclist is doing.
For a little while. :o [before the metro PC PDs turned your life into a living hell for a little while]

max popenker
April 17, 2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.motorcycle-memories.com/Photos/71-6.jpg

Just jocking, you know ;)

1911JMB
April 17, 2006, 12:53 PM
Guitar gig bag. Works great.

G1FAL
May 4, 2006, 01:37 AM
A friend recently purchased a motorcycle. He was wondering how to transport his FAL. I was thinking of a vertical tube of some sort mounted behind the seat.

Any suggestions?

I rather like the method he decided on.

Zen21Tao
May 4, 2006, 03:11 AM
LOL.... Have him bolt a set of these on his handle bars:

http://www.ridegear.com/store/graphics/MooseM9221150.jpg

pedaldude
May 4, 2006, 03:39 AM
I used to take my shotgun around in a "tactical" bass guitar gig bag, figured it'd attract less attention,riding with an AK strapped to you back might be intimidating to some but it wouldn't take much to part the rider his bike and his gun waiting at a stop light, you feel like enough of a target on a bike it's one less thing to worry about.

on the IDF website it has some cool picures of anti terrorist stuff with MCs and dudes just ridin' around with ARs

mbs357
May 4, 2006, 08:05 AM
Forward mounted and activated by what was formally the brake lever.
It's really the only way...

entropy
May 4, 2006, 11:25 AM
I strapped my shotgun to the sissy bar in back,and laid the barrel on top of the S&S carb venturi, stayed on even when I slid on some sand and went down (on the left side, of course. Didn't hurt the gun at all.)

ball3006
May 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
that I hang off the seat that I place the gun butt in. I then bungie the barrel to the sissy bar, yes, I am dating myself. Drivers around me are very polite when they notice a rifle on the bike........chris3

Seeker
September 6, 2010, 04:14 AM
I too fretted over drawing attention to myself while motorcycling -
...been riding street bikes (current dinosuar waster is a 96 Sporty w/ the 1200cc motor) for mor'n 20 years now - then I remembered CARS DON'T SEE MOTORCYCLES. So how they gonna spot my firearm id they don't see me.

SO...been trying to figure out how to mount a rifle scabbard to my sporty. I have a cuople of scabbards (one is cowboy style an the other is for a scoped rifle has a flap and was grandads). Ghost is a wasp waisted devil with an after market tank amd no bitc, er I mean Sissy, bar. I'd like to mount it under my leg cowboy style (any old cowboy movie will show what I mean). I don't think it will fit on the bars/forks. I am worried about heat damaging the leather, I once caught fire riding Ghost, (I wasn't wearin M/C boots. My Levis flapped against the pipe while going 60 mph. I started to feel the fire loooked donw snd didn't see anything. Things got hotter. I looked down again and noticed a thin red thread at the cuff of the Levis', thought to myself Levis don't have red thread there. FIRE! Pulled ober and stopped and the flames appeared racing around my ankle. Slapped out the fire and rode on.) and I don't want that to happen to a nice leather scabbard.

Strings
September 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
Mount the scabbard to the saddlebag mounts. Or, to the bag on one side itself

Oyeboten
September 6, 2010, 06:17 PM
A lot would depend on the 'bike...Cowelings, Suspension, where there is room to secure a Long Arm.

Usually it was a Scabbard running vertically along the front Girder, but these were usually Thomsons or short Carbines.

Take-Down Rifles or Shotguns of course, would need less room when in the two piece mode.

Azb
September 6, 2010, 06:50 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/20a6w52.jpg

Az

Strings
September 6, 2010, 07:30 PM
>Take-Down Rifles or Shotguns of course, would need less room when in the two piece mode. <

We actually plan on making a detachable leather boot for the case to my Beretta OU, that can be mounted to the bike. I don't anticipate any problems...

zootsuit002
September 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
Works well for carrying the Coffee as well when not carrying the hardware. Note the custom extra tall Sissy Bar as well, I didn't just build it that way because it is super cool, I was thinking about other things as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to carry a rifle on a motorcycle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!