Good gun room or not?

PDA

Joseywales3
April 16, 2006, 08:03 AM
We're looking at houses and I'm wondering if the garage makes a better area for a gun safe than the basement. The basement is unfinished and has a floating floor, where the floor edges are routed out and there's a pump to remove any water that might collect. The edged out area has cob webs, so I doubt there's much water getting in. But the garage is much easier to access.

any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good gun room or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smith357
April 16, 2006, 08:50 AM
The Garage is also easier to acces for theives, not the mention the wife or kids forgetting to close the door at night. Put it in your basement, or a spare bedroom.

XavierBreath
April 16, 2006, 09:43 AM
Since you are looking at houses anyway, look for one that has a walk-in closet that will house a gun safe at either end. Then build a table against the wall between the two safes, shelves on the walls for ammo and such, and voila! You will be happy until you fill it up.

I would not place a safe in an area not climate controlled.

Joseywales3
April 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
The humidity was my biggest concern and this garage seemed very friendly and even had a cedar closet in it. My basement now is climate controlled and working very well.

Not too much of a worry with others leaving the door open, as it will really be more of a tool room. No need for them to have access. Still, I prefer to have it in the house. I have outdoor access in the basement, so putting the safe in there shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to have to move it twice. Thanks for the advice.

taliv
April 16, 2006, 01:58 PM
depends on what you're really looking for.

i have a whole room in my house for guns, but but i don't actually store any guns in there. my safe is in a different area of the house.

for a safe the basement would be better long-term, but it's often a real PITA to get a large safe into a basement, and if you want fast access to them, the basement is not a good choice, but then, neither is the garage. at least you won't have to worry about the floor collapsing under the weight of a very heavy safe in either location.

since your thread title was about gun rooms... the basement is the worst place for a 'gun room'. in my gun room, i do a lot of cleaning and gun work, and expecially reloading. the problem with basements is they're typically not well-ventilated. in order to use stuff like gun scrubber, or sheath, you'll have to go outdoors. you REALLY don't want to be spraying that in a closed basement a couple times/week for 5 or 10 or 20 years. baaaad juju.

i wouldn't worry about people stealing stuff out of a safe because it's in a garage. after all, that's the whole point of it being a SAFE. duh. just bolt it down and don't worry about it.

Joseywales3
April 16, 2006, 09:30 PM
You're picking up some of my thoughts. My garage would be the "gun room" as far as cleaning, etc. But I think storage in the basement works. It's walk out basement, so bringing it in shouldn't be a problem.

After all, it is a safe. you are correct. If thieves want something bad enough, they can get it. I'm more concerned with temperatur and dampness.

I find fire safes especially interesting. Fire safes guarantee that the safe will withstand X amount of temperature for X amount of minutes or hours. But I wonder, do I want to shoot a gun that's been cooked inside a safe for a while? Sure the gun didn't burn, but it did cook for a while.

TooTaxed
April 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
Regardless of where you put it, safes can be stolen...after all, you brought it in, and thieves working together can get it out! Look critically at your safe, and plan how to secure it once you have it in place. You can consider drilling holes from the inside and fastening the safe to wall studs with lag bolts (being careful to use sealant and gaskets to maintain air/moisture integrity. Or, once you have the safe in, you can narrow the doorway so it can't get through...

It is also nice to have a way to install an electric dehumidifier, so a power outlet should be convenient to the location. The alternative is to have a gasket on the door and to use dehumidifyer bags which must be occasionally heated in an oven to rejuvenate.

taliv
April 16, 2006, 10:18 PM
too-taxed, most convenient methods for bringing a safe in involve opening the door. thieves won't have that luxury. yes, one guy delivered my 3000lb safe, but the same guy couldn't remove it without the combination, and that's not counting bolting it to the floor

Foxtrot427
April 16, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well a garage,like mentioned before, can be acessed by robbers easier and is often broken into before the basement if the basement is at all. If the basement is climate controlled, I would use it. And like was said before, secure it. Narrow entrances, and bolt it down hard.

a1abdj
April 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
There are 3 basic problems with using a garage for your safe:

1) Your garage usually has a line of sight to the nearest street. Everytime the garage door is open, the potential exists for people seeing your safe.

2) Garages are easy access. Just like you pull your car into it, a theif can back his truck up to it.

3) Security systems are usually wired into the living portion of the house only, and not in the garage. If you were going to place a safe in the garage, I would have your alarm company add the garage as an additional zone.

Otherwise, we place safes in garages on a regular basis. Sometimes safes are too big or too heavy to be placed within a residence.

Bolting the safe is a good idea regardless of where you place it. Bolting will prevent the safe from tipping, makes the safe harder to pry open, and will keep the casual theif from taking it with him.

Again, the weakest link on your typical gun safes are the thin steel. It doesn't matter if you have 4 bolts or 10 bolts holding it to the ground. That thin sheet steel will rip apart before the bolts do.

pete f
April 17, 2006, 03:34 AM
If you want to go gonzo in your basement, you could add a pair of block walls coming out from the corners that make a block room. with a little minor HVAC development you can vent this room or make a small fume hood and vent that outside for using the solvents. Think spark proof range hood. Add a commercial steel security door and a Medeco lockset and for about the cost of a jumbo safe, you have a walk in vault. Your wife would have a safe room to run to in case of tornado or hurricane or MNZ's showing up at the door.

Joseywales3
April 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
Yep. My safe is bolted to the wall currently, mostly to keep it from tipping. If I went the garage route, I figured on building a closet around it to keep it "hidden".

I'll have to think on building block around it if I put it in the basment. Could be a good idea.

If we finish the basement, the garage looks like a better place for cleaning and solvents. I do it in the basement now, but the new home is 3 minutes from the gun club! So I bet I'll be shooting (and cleaning) more often.

F4GIB
April 17, 2006, 07:57 PM
the new home is 3 minutes from the gun club
Where is this paradise?

Joseywales3
April 17, 2006, 10:53 PM
In PA, pretty much suburbia, if you can believe that. Nice outdoor ragne, where I was Chairman in 2004. 100 outdoor range, 5-stand trap field . 30 stand archery course, indoor handgun. Nothing fancy, but it is a lot of fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Good gun room or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!