I Just purchased my first 1911.

PDA

virgmb
April 16, 2006, 05:00 PM
I've spent about a year researching different manufacturers and models to find a good, solid 1911-A1, with lots of custom features for a fair price. My search ended with the purchase of the Springfield Armory 1911-A1, TRP with the stainless steel finish.

Can anyone tell me what the LPI checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing? 20 LPI or 30 LPI? I couldn't find this information anywhere. Also, what do you think about the Satin Stainless Steel finish vs Armory Kote teflon finish?

I would like hear what you think about this pistol. The pros and cons.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Just purchased my first 1911." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Otherguy Overby
April 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
virgmb:
My search ended with the purchase of the Springfield Armory 1911-A1, TRP with the stainless steel finish.

I would like hear what you think about this pistol. The pros and cons.

After you've bought it? I guess you are more interested in positive comments, eh?

Stainless pistols sure are purty. For a while, I also preferred stainless. Now I'd choose something made of good steel and if I wanted either shiny or corrosion resistant I'd choose hard chrome.

Regardless, you got yourself a nice pistol

10-Ring
April 16, 2006, 06:04 PM
Congrats on the new 1911 ;) Have you shot it yet? What did you think?

beltfed74
April 16, 2006, 06:05 PM
I think you bought one of the best deals going right now. I checked one out but cant remember for the life of me about the checkering. Im thinking it was 20LPI. It was Armory-Cote though dont know if that makes a difference. Next time I buy it'll be a TRP or Baer TRS. Congrats money well spent no matter what.

Black Majik
April 16, 2006, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the TRP. Awesome pistol that you've picked out. Yes the checkering is 20 LPI. A litlte aggressive for my tastes but its got more grip than the 30 lpi.

Two things I would do is to get rid of the 2 piece guide rod and change out the MSH with the ILS with a Smith and Alexander MSH and magwell.

Other than that, that gun is sweet! :D

carnaby
April 17, 2006, 01:27 AM
I just got a TRP too, great gun! Best trigger I've ever tried on a handgun. :D

Ala Dan
April 17, 2006, 06:18 AM
Congratulations My Friend-

As you just bought yourself one very fine pistol, in the Springfield TRP~!:)
Like my friend Richard, the 20 LPI checkering is a little agressive
for my taste as well, but one thing is for sure; when you grab it, it sticks.
And, for a CCW I prefer stainless cuz I live here in the hot and muggy
"Deep South"; but for shooting on crisp, clean days you can't beat the
blued or parkerized guns~!:cool: Enjoy:D

Kramer Krazy
April 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
QUICK!!!! You MUST get rid of the gun! You've just been bitten by the 1911 virus and it will soon be multiplying!!!! I'll gladly offer a good home for it, as I'm infected beyond cure of the 1911 virus........Congrats....now, go shoot it! :D

duncan
April 18, 2006, 01:01 AM
Springers are great 1911s.

Love my 9mm Springer 1911 - awsome shooter.

GoRon
April 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
My TRP is Armory Kote and about 4 years old now. The finish has held up well.

The problem I had was the front sight post was to high so the gun shot low. New front sight and it shoots POA/POI.

The gun has well over 10k rounds through it and never chokes. It just runs and runs and runs.

Congradulations! I hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine.

dcm
April 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
stainless steel is fine. My current 1911-style guns are stainless because they are shot and used and 'refinishing' is simplified with stainless guns. Also, the checkering is/was a little to agressive for my tastes as well. If the checkering becomes a problem then a competent armorer or gunsmith may be able to 'break' some of the sharp edges for you.

If I were having a custom 1911 built or stepping up to a Professional Model then I would opt for hard chrome or the like over carbon steel.

Finally, the 1911 platform is highly addictive. It can be everything you want out of a handgun but mismanaged it can also be a nightmare. I would encourage you to shoot you TRP, a fine gun by the way, and leave custom work to a gunsmith or the Custom Shop.

Congratulations!

If you enjoyed reading about "I Just purchased my first 1911." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!