Anyone know how to get the smell of CS out of a house?

PDA

dracphelan
April 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
I am friends with a couple who had an arguement last night. It turned into a police standoff which ended with tear gas being fired into the house. I know the house will need to be cleaned after this, can someone tell me the best methods for getting the residue from the CS cleaned up? :(

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/041806dnmetarlstandoff.4394775c.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know how to get the smell of CS out of a house?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
April 17, 2006, 11:19 AM
I don't know, but the businesses that clean up after fires and onsite deaths will know.

George S.
April 17, 2006, 11:33 AM
That would be my suggestion too. A professional company will probably have the experience and tools to do that sort of cleaning. Like smoke from a fire, gas will get everywhere. It may take some sort of a "bomb" like a bug bomb to get the lingering odor out and lots of surface cleaning.

Owen
April 17, 2006, 11:35 AM
Freinds like that are dangerous to you safety and freedom.

Just a warning

'Card
April 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
Freinds like that are dangerous to you safety and freedom.
Yeah, but they sure can liven up a dull party.

isp2605
April 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
CS requires vacuuming and washing. It's a very fine powdery dust. Some household type vacs won't filter enough to remove CS so they just end up resuspending the particles in the air. Everything has to be vacuumed, carpets, furniture, fixtures, etc. Walls, cabinets, etc have to be washed. During the process use high volume vent fans. If you don't get it completely removed every time you walk thru it you'll stir it back up and recontaminate yourself.
If it was CN it can be removed by high heat. Turn the furnace up to about 90 deg and let it get the house good and warm for a day or so, then vent with high volume fans.
It was probably CS with maybe a touch of OC included.

That must have been one heck of a family argument.

seeker_two
April 17, 2006, 11:59 AM
1. Refer your friends to a professional cleaning service who handles fires and chemical spills. You may even be able to get recommendations from the local fire department.

2. Politely decline any dinner invitations your friends may send you in the future... :uhoh:

dracphelan
April 17, 2006, 12:11 PM
1. I'm sure the marriage is over. I will say that I think I know what caused this. The fact that she has been working ~50 hours per week, going to night school 20 hours per week and just got back from a 2 week business trip to India. Meanwhile, he has been unemployed for over 5 years. I think the marriage is over.
2. I think I will advise her to contact a prefessional cleaning service. To many people who are friends and family of her have asthma.

mrmeval
April 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
http://monkeyfist.com/cs-gas/eu_report.html

Bill2k1
April 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
The person needs to call the police and ask what kind of gas was used. OC in gas format requires no cleanup, just time for it to disperse. CN and CS needs the pros. Also ask the police for the name of a company who cleans up those kind of things.

aguyindallas
April 17, 2006, 06:15 PM
Wow, I saw that this morning and all I thought was oh crap, I wonder if this is somebody in our Yahoo shooting group....

"The next best thing to new, is Dalworth clean!"

DeepHelmet
April 17, 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't know what the weather is like there right now, but high heat will break down CS gas, if that's what they used. I don't remember exactly, but it's around 100 deg F.

Lupinus
April 17, 2006, 07:16 PM
get pros tyo take care of it. I will get everywhere and anywhere. And if they had heat or a/c on its gonna be all up in the duct work too

dracphelan
April 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
"Wow, I saw that this morning and all I thought was oh crap, I wonder if this is somebody in our Yahoo shooting group...."

Nope. But, he was surplus firearms collector. No matter what, he has given up his right to bear arms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know how to get the smell of CS out of a house?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!