Walther P-38k

PDA

Great Scot
April 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
I saw a picture of this gun and I was curious if anyone knew anything about them. Were many made? If not, why not? Seems like a relativley simple, quick way to make a compact gun out of a service gun.

If someone wanted to convert a p-38 or p-1 to a p-38k, is it as simple as having the barrel shortened and having a dovetail cut into the fron of the slide?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P-38k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BillinNH
April 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
There's a little more to it than that. The P.38K (for Kurz) is based on the P4, not the P.38. The P4 differs a little internally from the P.38/P1 but they are very similar. The P4 has a shorter barrel. The P38K is in effect a P4 with a very short barrel, just clears the front of the slide. Since the barrel doesn't extend forward enough to mount a front sight, the P38K has one installed on the top front of the slide. The slide is marked P38K instead of P4.

All that notwithstanding, a number of people have "made" P38Ks by bobbing the front of the barrel of a P38 and dovetailing a front sight onto the slide, as you suggest. While this has much the same effect as the P38K it is really not the same thing, especially as collectibility goes.

Gene Gangarossa has good discussion of this in his two books on Walther handguns in general and P38 pistols in particular. I can give the exact reference if you like.

Bill

Great Scot
April 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for th help. I think you answered my question.

Carl N. Brown
April 17, 2006, 04:43 PM
Apparently P38 pistols have been shortened to P38K dimensions
since the P38 was introduced. They are not P38K collectibles.
although if done well they are shootables.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P-38k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!