Springfield XD?

PDA

TooTaxed
April 22, 2003, 11:44 PM
How's the accuracy and reliability?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vertigo7
April 23, 2003, 12:05 AM
Mine's been great. I considered it reliable enough to make it my first carry gun. It's still my primary CCW gun when not at work (where a Kel-Tec P-11 is substituted due to dress code). Visit XDTalk.com (http://www.xdtalk.com) for all things XD/HS2000-related.

jem375
April 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
I will buy one just as soon as they come out with a decent caliber.....hopefully next year, rumors a 45 ACP is coming..........

yotehunter
April 23, 2003, 02:16 AM
Both of mine have performed great. I have a Tacticl XD40 and a 4 inch XD40. I only have about 2000 rounds through them but have not had a single malfunction with either. The 4 inch seems to be more accurate for some reason but that could just be me.

axeman_g
April 23, 2003, 09:42 AM
I have a XD 40 4 inch model in od green and blue slide. I put ghost ring rear sight on it and a stainless guide rod with a wolf 22# spring. I like the gun alot. It is very accurate and has not failed in approx 400 rounds. I am going to sell it though because it is too bulky for me to carry in Atlanta. If interested in one slightly used with lifetime warranty still unissued, let me know. $425
Classified ad going up soon.
Axe

762x51
April 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
I shoot my buddys XD 9mm every now and I shoot better with it than my guns. Going to have to get one for myself.

He hasn't had a hiccup yet going on 2000 rounds.

10-Ring
April 23, 2003, 12:09 PM
The ones I had been renting had been surprisingly accurate, reliable & fun to shoot. All of the XD's available for rent at the range I frequent have seen ALOT of rounds. As of late tho, they have experienced a guide rod breakage problem.

emc
April 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Accurate, reliable, reasonably priced, and ergonomic. What's not to like? So, I bought an XD9 AND an XD40! Highly recommended.

FWIW,

emc

El Tejon
April 23, 2003, 12:47 PM
The Crock rocks. Solid weapon, especially for the denek.

mrming
April 23, 2003, 01:48 PM
Have an XD9 here. Still trying to get accustomed to the 25 meter zero on it, but accuracy is as good as she feels in the hand.

Factory mags are avaliable at cheaperthandirt for $23 each..

Put 400 rounds in the first outing, no jams, mis-feeds, FTF or anythin else.

In short, cheap ammo, cheap mags, good accuracy and I can't seem to make it mess up. Sounds like a winner to me..

akanotken
April 23, 2003, 01:53 PM
but that's nothing to brag about. I just picked up one in 40, and only have a box through it. Hammered a shooting tree, 4-5 in plates at 15 yards. Put a group of 10 in a 3-4 in circle at 7 yds. Bout as good/bad as I do with my others.

In defense of my poor marksmanship, I spend more time trying to get fast than I do on shrinking my groups:o In fact, in competition I've been known to miss faster than most others!
Then there are those guys who are faster and don't miss much:fire: :cuss: :barf:

Brad Johnson
April 23, 2003, 04:50 PM
The accuracy in my XD-9 has been excellent. As far as reliablility, well... check out this link for an example of how tough the XD is. (http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003202)

Brad

MJRW
April 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
I hope they do something with those grips. I like the gun, I like the idea, but I can't deal with those grips.

NoBite
April 23, 2003, 10:48 PM
with my new XD-9. My first 9 and just a bunch of fun to shoot! The trigger takes no getting used to. I usually shoot my Kimber, but switching to the XD-9 is a snap. Accuracy is very good at combat range. Haven't tried anything longer yet. Feels good, is easy to field strip, is easy to get back on target for fast follow-up shots. Heck, I haven't found anything I dislike yet. All this for under $400. I'm happy! :D

railroader
April 23, 2003, 11:22 PM
I've had mine for almost 2 years now. It still runs like a top. I think I can actually shoot it better overall than my cz75b or my kimber, at least I get better times with it at matches. Mark

Fair 'n Square
April 24, 2003, 12:59 AM
XD-40's are pretty scarce around here. I've been checking with three different dealers, and the XD-40's go out as fast as they come in. But one of the dealers will sell me an XD-40 for $379 when he gets some in stock. Can't wait!

I've put a few hundred rounds through my XD-9 so far, and not a whimper. It's my main carry gun now in a crappy IWB holster. I'm also waiting on another dealer to get a Fobus holster (OWB) in that will hold the XD series. Haven't found anything else I can afford.

JPoe
April 24, 2003, 01:44 AM
450 rounds through my new XD-9 so far and I LOVE it! No FT-anythings yet. I'm somewhat of a newbie - this is my first autoloader - so I don't have a wealth of experience to compare to, but it feels like it was made for my hand and shoots where I point it. I just need to get better at pointing it! :D I went with the 4" 'Bi-Tone' model (stainless slide).

Here are a few online reviews on the XD that I've collected that'll tell you everything you could ever want to know about it:

http://www.chucktaylorasaa.com/SpringfieldXD9.html

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/springfield_armory_xd_series/

http://www.sportshooter.com/guns/guns_xd.htm

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/st_0205_springfield/

It was also recently awarded "Handgun of the Year" by the NRA publication "American Riflemen" for whatever that's worth.

Ikari
April 24, 2003, 02:43 AM
I've got a 4-inch XD-40, and I love it. I've had it for almost a year, and I've put about 600 rounds through it. No failures or problems of any kind. It definitely shoots better than I do. The only reason I'd get rid of it would be to get an XD-45 when it comes out.

litework
April 24, 2003, 06:42 PM
I've got an XD 357 and love it. Possibly the best defense pistol I own. The next pistol I buy will probably be another XD. It's been accurate and reliable so far.

Jim, the 357 Sig is a very decent caliber ;)

jem375
April 25, 2003, 01:31 AM
It's not a handgun with a decent caliber yet.......I already have 2 357 mag revolvers, don't need the 357 sig......waiting for a 45 or a 10MM, hopefully the 10MM.........

Henry Bowman
April 25, 2003, 11:23 AM
OK. I know I'm asking for it here.

I have never owned or fired a Springfield XD (any caliber). I also have never owned a Glock, so I'm not Glock-blinded. But . . .

Why is the Springfield XD series so UGLY?

I mean, the slide and the frame look like unrelated parts stuck together with no regard for what the result would be. I think the biggest blem is that the rear of the slide (and side shoulders of the slide) are so square that it doesn't flow smoothly into the shape of the frame. It would have helped if the rear of the slide were angled slightly forward or something.

Is it just me? After hearing great things about them and seeing the price, I thought an XD-40 might be a next buy for me. When I saw it I couldn't believe how bad it looked. I know that looks aren't everything, but sheesh!

[Flame suit on. Let 'er rip.]

srschick
April 25, 2003, 11:46 AM
“Get yourself a Glock, lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.”
Chief Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) to Special Agent John Royce (Robert Downey Jr.), from U.S. Marshals
(my interpretatoin of this- "get a gun that looks ugly but works, get rid of your 'pretty' gun)

Henry, Yes, It is an aquired taste.
I recently purchased my first handgun (3 months ago).
Went looking for a Glock, got an XD9 instead.
IMHO, the XD series is direct competition with the Glock.

If you're looking for something to use for protection, competition, or what other lawfull use you can think of this is a great semi loader to consider. It is a great gun (accuracy, reliability, feel in my hand, ease of use, safety, ease of take down, among other assets of this fine pistol)
And you can't beat the great price! And the SA warranty is hard to beat.

If you're looking for something to look good (in YOUR opinion), get something else.

Me personally, I wanted a pistol that looked like a Glock - black, tactical looking, meant for real use.

After trying out the Glock and XD, I fealt that the XD fit my hand better (average sized hands and fingers), the pointability was better, and seemed more accurate to me.

Just FYI, BTW, I was going to get a Beretta 92 series, having been issued one in the Marine Corps. But we all know that there are better ;) I can shoot well with any decent firearm.

My best advice is the try one out. I hate it when people give advice or opinion on something without trying it out. Would you buy an auto without test driving it?

Oh yea, and to those who think that SA just tried to make a cheap copy Glock, post it and I'll tell you how you're wrong.

Check out www.xdtalk.com forum

Henry Bowman
April 25, 2003, 11:55 AM
I'm not knocking it without trying it. I state no opinion of quality, feel, or acuracy. I didn't say I wouldn't choose one over a Glock or any other handgun.

But I notice that you didn't really defend its appearance. :)

srschick
April 25, 2003, 12:04 PM
Henry, I edited my post :D

Yes, I basically said that these type of guns are more function rather than form.
What do you think of Glocks? I've heard many people (mostly Glocktalkers, though) say Glocks are a work of art comparred to the XD. Horse pucky!

What handgun starts your list of pretty guns?
(meaning, what gun is at the bottom of your "still pretty enough" list?) Of course, a nice STI 1911 would probably be at top of many lists. My favorite for "Best looking handgun" is the STI Executive. But look at the price for most of these guns! :what:
(an XD9 runs about $400). And look what alot of shooters have to do to theirs to get it "just right", or even working to begin with.

Henry Bowman
April 25, 2003, 12:25 PM
Most any model of the 1911 is on my "pretty" list (and you can't argue the function). the new HK's look good. I think that the "ergonomic" look of the new Berettas is great. That doesn't mean I would choose one. Heck, I may even buy an XD this year. But why did they have to make it so clunky looking? The Walther P99 is a better looking of the "square-shaped" guns in my opinion.

Glocks look nice, but I'm in the small minority who doesn't have much opinion of them either way.

Oh well. Just gun nut chat anyway. ;)

Jesse H
April 25, 2003, 12:31 PM
I didn't buy my HS2000 because of looks, but I'll admit, it's not a looker.

38snapcaps
April 25, 2003, 12:40 PM
Henry, I have an XD-9 with the stainless slide and I find it to be a very handsome pistol. You want commentary on appearance shere goes:

The contrast between the frame and slide is very nice.

The serrations on the slide aren't just "cuts" in the metal but have a molded in look.

The overall look is one of function, a Modern looking gun, not a design from the past. (Now, don't you 1911 guys get worked up, I have one and admire it too. I appreciate its history and classical design)

The cocked and chamber loaded indicators also are just "neat" in appearance and practicality.

The looks of the gun is one of the big reasons I bought it. I had seen pictures of them but the day I walked by the store showcase it just grabbed my attention, WHO, that is one cool looking gun! Two months later I like to just take it out of the gun cabinet and admire it for the above mentioned reasons.

I've heard it said a Stuka dive bomber is ugly but I find that aircraft to be fascinating looking. It is so purposefull in design and man did it do the job! Some would rave about the beauty of a P-51 Mustang but I think its boring.

I think there can be real classy looks in a machine that is a combination of well desgined and excellent peforming mechanical parts. An AK-47, a steam locomotive, Harley-Davidson, a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, or a T-34 tank are all perfect examples.

Personally I am tired of a smooth, slicked over, computer designed anything. Good old fashioned MACHINES are a delight to behold in this sanitized and overperfect world. The XD does meet that criteria exceptionally well.

Ugly? No, not hardly. Not beautiful but certainly not ugly.

Oh, lest I forget to mention-you'll find the groups it shoots pretty darn good looking!

srschick
April 25, 2003, 12:42 PM
See, here goes the opinion,

The P99/SW99 is Damned U G L Y!

But I do like the USP's, looks good(but then again, I love guns that have that "tactical" look)

Henry Bowman
April 25, 2003, 01:00 PM
Yes, I'll agree. The P99 just barely makes the grade on appearance. Not pretty, but some effort shown. I'd still rather have a PPK, James. :D

srschick
April 25, 2003, 01:14 PM
what's the most visually appeasing piece you have in your arsenal?
Since the only handgun I have is the XD, there's not much to go with there, but I do have a nice Springfield National Match M1a.

srschick
April 25, 2003, 01:20 PM
I have to add, I don't think of the XD as an ugly gun.
It's just not on the same scale as a 1911 or Beretta.
I like it's looks for different reasons, like I said about the USP

Brad Johnson
April 25, 2003, 01:40 PM
5 years ago I wouldn't have owned a Glock or HK because I didn't like the way they looked. In the intervening 5 years I have slowly warmed up to them, up to and including owning a couple of Glocks and an XD (gasp!).

What I appreciate most about the XD is it's ergonomics. Prior to the XD I'd never had a gun that really felt "perfect" in my hammy mitts (I wear a size 15 ring, and I have to buy extra-large gloves and then shorten the fingers for them to fit). Then I picked up an XD one day (not to look at it but to move it around in a display case) and - BAM! - I was hooked. The grip, trigger reach, and control locations all feel like they were custom done for me. Accuracy is outstanding, and I can point-shoot it so well it's scary.

I still think a bone-blued SAA it about as sexy as a gun can get and I'm not a big fan of the "black gun" look. However... I can appreciate the utility and usefulness of the XD and other "utility" guns.

Brad

JPoe
April 25, 2003, 05:50 PM
Greeeeaaat... another "Ugly XD" thread. :rolleyes: Welcome to last week! :D No, seriously, not to flame you, but run a search... this horse has been beaten to death - and recently too.

That said - Again, I think my Bi-Tone (stainless slide) XD-9 looks great. A relatively inexpensive, well-made, purpose-built machine. Nice trigger and excellent ergonomics too. All I can say is go shoot one - and I'll guarantee you it'll start looking better to you.

mrming
April 25, 2003, 06:38 PM
10mm XD?

I'd buy one.

Ikari
April 25, 2003, 08:25 PM
To each his own. I think my XD is sexy! :neener:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p2c2ff61e06e4b8fc717dbddead382ab3/fcb38683.jpg

How could you say "no" to a face like that?

NoBite
April 25, 2003, 08:47 PM
I posted this question in another forum on THR, but because this thread has attracted a variety of XD-owners, here goes -

Is anyone using the VersaMax2 for their XD? I love mine with my 1911 and wonder if one for my XD-9 would be as nice. The XD is a bit thicker than the Kimber, which is causing me some concern. I welcome anyone's thoughts who is doing this!

Thanks.

JPoe
April 25, 2003, 08:55 PM
Give 'em time! They apparently can't crank out enough 9, 40, and 357Sig models (all three three very "decent" calibers if you ask me) fast enough to meet demand as it is - and you guys are clamoring for .45 and 10mm! :D I know the 45 ACP is in the pipeline (due out "sometime in 2004"), but I haven't heard any rumors of a 10mm. Yet. Looks like Springfield (and IM Metal/HS Produkt in Croatia) really has a hit on its hands!

George Hill
April 25, 2003, 09:28 PM
2 threads of the same topic. Same names as well.

MERGING THREADS...

Everyone scooch over... make room... slide over... Come on now and feel the love.

There we go. Now let's all sing YMCA!!!

freeride21a
April 25, 2003, 11:52 PM
I LOVE my XD 40
bastard is frikin reliable and pretty darn accurate and EXTREMELY well built.

here she is
http://000buck.d2g.com/firearms/xd40.jpg

natedog
May 7, 2003, 04:03 AM
I am seriously looking into the XD as my first auto, and the looks don't bother me. They look cool, modern, functional. Looks aren't really that important to me, anyway. I don't think XD's where designed to be hung over your mantle. But there's something that I have to say: the (puke?) green frame is disgusting. And don't even get me started on the stainless. (To be fair, I think all two-tone finishes are ugly). But different strokes for different people, right?

SapperLeader
May 7, 2003, 08:52 AM
about my springfield xd-9. Its been reliable with the 5000-8000 rounds Ive shot through it, it points better than any other weapon Ive tried, it was inexpensive, cheap standard cap mags and its fun! I like it so much, I bought the xd compact last weekend for my carry gun. I cant wait till this weekend to try it out!

OneShot
May 8, 2003, 01:23 AM
Oh well My 2 cents

I LOVE my Subcompact XD9.

It is BUTT UGLY in form, but beautiful in function--Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!