Whats so great about the "fancy pants" H&K USP?

PDA

Tropical Z
April 22, 2003, 11:09 PM
All these people walking around thinkin theyre all that and a bag of chips because they own a USP.Ill show em whats up with a HP!

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats so great about the "fancy pants" H&K USP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cool45auto
April 22, 2003, 11:12 PM
:confused:

Darrin
April 22, 2003, 11:15 PM
:confused: x2

Buddy of mine has an HK USP .40 He's still a computer geek. Nothing different than when he had his 1911.

George Hill
April 22, 2003, 11:18 PM
WHO LEFT THE SHINER BOCK TRUCK PARKED AT Z'S HOUSE LAST NIGHT?!?!

Tropical Z
April 22, 2003, 11:23 PM
Overpriced-thin polymer frames.What gives?

Island Beretta
April 22, 2003, 11:31 PM
Well, apart from the light weight, durability, reliability, accuracy, go to hell and back, low down dirty fighting machine.. MARKETING!!!;)

12-34hom
April 22, 2003, 11:37 PM
One of the most [if not thee most] reliable - accurate - factory pistols made to date.

Thier full sized 45acp [variant #1] would rate in my book as one of two best combat pistols ever made.

If they Chambered one in 10mm i would never have to buy another pistol... ever.

12-34hom.

Airwolf
April 22, 2003, 11:46 PM
I'll second IB"s assesment.

My USP45 is the "go to" gun for my first line of home defense. It's the one always within a few steps and beside the bed at night.

Why? Because it feels good in my hand, I can hit what I aim at and I KNOW it will work EVERY TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER, period.

The USP is the only handgun I own that has NEVER failed to fire and cycle to slide lock EVERY SINGLE TIME from the first mag I put in it. I've had break-in failures with others and some glitches because of ammo. Not the USP, ever.

I also like to be able to leave the hammer down and the safety on for a "house gun". Without that ability I ALWAYS use a holster. The USP gives me the option of a "naked gun" if you will.

And yes, HK can get away with charging more $$$ because of the marketing hype but in this case the "walk" does match the "talk".

Airwolf
April 22, 2003, 11:48 PM
A 10mm USP? I'd be on that SOOOO fast it would make your head spin. :what: :D

caz223
April 23, 2003, 12:12 AM
My USP compact .45 has been to date, the only pistol I own that has never malfunctioned under any (mis)treatment it has been exposed to.
As accurate as my bullseye pistol, as heavy as I'd want to carry, as light as I'd want to use, and the only one with all the features I want.
If they made it in 10mm, I'd need two more.
And that's the God-honest truth.

gudel
April 23, 2003, 12:14 AM
it must be the German made/origin.
oh yeah, i sleep with the HK USP 45 under my pillow. :D

jem375
April 23, 2003, 12:38 AM
I guess accuracy and dependability and just about anything anyone would want with a semi-auto...........guys, this is the clown that thinks Hi-points are the greatest.......

April 23, 2003, 12:57 AM
always thought they were overpriced glocks with a safety and bad trigger.:neener:

Handy
April 23, 2003, 01:00 AM
This is a great topic. Really brainy.

jem375
April 23, 2003, 01:05 AM
Handy.....agree.....moderator should take this off the board.......

Skunkabilly
April 23, 2003, 01:09 AM
Wie sagt mann 'bag of chips' auf Englisch?

Schuey2002
April 23, 2003, 01:58 AM
"How do you say 'bag of chips' in English?"

:confused:
:uhoh:

Yo
April 23, 2003, 01:59 AM
I'm an HK USP .45 owner.

It's very, very accurate. Nice big sights.

One of the two best combat pistols ever?

Hah.

The decocker/safety mechanism can work loose WAY too easily. The Double action has the most unpleasant creep I've ever felt in a modern handgun. Bore Axis is very high.

Very mushy and long reset, and it is easy to get a false reset during double-tap rapid fire.

Oh, yeah and the firing pin breaks real easily. Happend to me and I have a permanent dent in my forehead to show for it.

I like the accuracy. I like the ergonomic mag release. The pistol field strips with incredible ease. But, in my book its flawed because of the bad trigger and some serious reliability issues that have lead at least three major police agencies to drop the gun.

- - -

You want a great HK, get a p7.

Skunkabilly
April 23, 2003, 02:06 AM
I'm selling my USP45C. Good gun, but it doesn't hold a carbon fiber Zippo to Graciepoo, my P7M8.

AndABeer
April 23, 2003, 02:10 AM
mmmm, Shiner Bock

KY Moose
April 23, 2003, 02:25 AM
As a former owner of a USP 40 and USP 45, I can say they were well designed and high quality handguns. I only had two dislikes with the USP models. Like Yo, my biggest hang up with the USP was the long heavy double action trigger pull. It was just hideous to me. I just did not do that well with the first shot in double action. My other dislike is the high bore axis. I like a low bore axis like the Glock models.

WonderNine
April 23, 2003, 03:36 AM
All these people walking around thinkin theyre all that and a bag of chips because they own a USP.Ill show em whats up with a HP!

Trop Z, I can certainly understand your appreciation for the Browning Hi-Power; the greatest pistol ever made, but that's quite a jump from a Hi-Point.

mattk
April 23, 2003, 08:44 AM
Alright I'll say it. They are mediocre guns with good marketing.
Most of them are reliable. I have seen two that were miserable malfunctioners.
They are pretty accurate, nothing special for service gun.
They are BIG, way to big for me.
They have an extremely high bore axis hey Im an IPSC shooter, we always talk about bore axis.
The triggers SUCK period.
I wouldnt be mad if someone gave me one, but I wouldnt buy on either.
But the marketing! H&K has some of the coolest ads ever.

Admiral Thrawn
April 23, 2003, 09:29 AM
The USP Tactical 0.45ACP and the Mark 23 0.45ACP are my two preferred H&K handguns. :)

COHIBA
April 23, 2003, 09:40 AM
OVER ENGINEERING.

i learned, in about 2 min., how to fully strip a glock. i have done dozens of trigger jobs to glocks and work daily on 1911's.
vaughnT has felt my trigger work.
i wont do anything more than a basic field strip w/ a USP. in fact mine is for sale on this board.

Ala Dan
April 23, 2003, 09:45 AM
While I'm definitely a SIG fan, there is nothing
wrong with H&K USP's! That is, if you are fond
of polymer pistols.:uhoh:

They are reliable, accurate, and very fun to shoot!:)
The only one I ever owned was a full-size USP .45
ACP. I just prefer the feel of the aluminum framed
SIG-Sauer P220A.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

WhoKnowsWho
April 23, 2003, 10:18 AM
A polymer framed, beautiful gun.

I actually like the trigger, more than the Glock, a little more than the P99, but of course, a good single action is easier.

Hasn't given me any problems, soft shooting to the point of laughability. Very comfortable in the hand just to hold and when functioning.

But it does cost a good penny... but so does Para Ord, and I would choose the HK any day...

care-less
April 23, 2003, 10:57 AM
I thought the 1911 vs USP wars just ended! Sure was a short "peace".

KMKeller
April 23, 2003, 11:07 AM
I believe that this thread was initiated with the sole intent of bashing HKs and their owners. Should be terminated.

10-Ring
April 23, 2003, 11:16 AM
So, you don't like the USP...so what? :scrutiny:

12-34hom
April 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
If you want a great trigger by a Factory 1911 and tune it or a custom 1911 thats been there done that.

I've owned two H&K's so far, shot thousands of rounds thru the full sized model. NEVER EVER a malfuntion of any kind. It was one of the most accurate pistols i've ever owned or shot. I installed a set of night sites on it, that was the only change made.

It is one of the few guns i'm really sorry i sold.

Other than that, What do you want - Eggs in your brewski???

12-34hom.

TheMariner
April 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
I never got the HK love either... but to each his own... Everytrigger can find someone that likes it... Some like a mile long DA, others like it tighter. I think DA is an aimed shot only deal, but revolver lovers seem to like it all the time... whatever.

If COHIBA is right about their disassembly, then I definitely not own one. I think any gun I can't totally tear down competently without a manual isn't worth owning. Someday, It'll be me alone having to clean that thing... if I can't take it all apart, I can't maintain it properly.

Not that I tear mine apart everytime, just after every 3,000 rounds or so.

Shake
April 23, 2003, 11:29 AM
What's so great about any pistol?

:rolleyes:

Shake

Tropical Z
April 23, 2003, 12:19 PM
Any handgun that wholesalers are selling used for $399.00 and are regularly seen in stores for $800.00 better be able to cook lasagna for me on demand! USP frames need something.:confused:

Shake
April 23, 2003, 12:21 PM
You want more out of a handgun than I. . . good luck is all I can say.

Shake

MJRW
April 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Tropical Z,

Its just an over-priced High Point with unnecessary "gizmos", "thingamajigs", "doohickeys," and "gadgets."*

*See following definitions:

Gizmos - outsanding accuracy
Thingamajigs - superb reliability
Doohickeys - excellent customer service
Gadgets - stellar reputation

George Hill
April 23, 2003, 12:53 PM
I suspected Trollish Intent from the start of this thread.
However I hoped humor and good logic could turn this into an interesting thread.
Well, that didn't happen.

This thread is done. T.Z. - Don't do this again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats so great about the "fancy pants" H&K USP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!