Kimber warranty?

PDA

kamagong
April 23, 2006, 04:01 AM
Hey guys. I have another question for you all. I posted a thread a few days ago asking some questions about the 1911 and am thinking between a Kimber Custom and a Springfield Loaded. Since this will be my first experience with a 1911 I want the piece of mind that comes with having a good warranty. Does anyone know what the warranties are for these two companies.

Thanks for the help again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber warranty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glocker1911
April 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
Springfield offers a lifetime warranty and has excellant customer service to boot. Kimber has, last time I checked, a year warranty, and as far as their customer service goes, did I mention Springfield has excellant customer service?:D

I'm sure some Kimber "folk" will be right along to tell you how Kimber will take care of you as long as you treat them "nice". But if you ever have to deal with them, trust me you'll find out real quick no matter how polite you are that everything you say is wrong and they are right. Most problems with Kimbers aren't even warranty since they usually involve either your not breaking the gun in right/yet, limp wristing, or not realizing "how tight" their guns are made. Don't believe me? Just ask em.

kamagong
April 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
Lifetime vs. 1 year huh? Wow. Given that I don't have much experience with guns this warranty could pretty much be the deciding factor that pushes me towards getting a Springfield Loaded.

NineseveN
April 23, 2006, 12:33 PM
I used to buy guns simply because I liked them, I didn't even look into the warranties to be honest.

Then I got smart. :)

mrapathy2000
April 23, 2006, 03:19 PM
S&W pays for shipping both ways. they send shipping label to you so all you have to do is box it and drop it off or arrange for the shipping company to pick it up from your house. they also have expedited Leo warranty service.

Geno
April 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
Kamagong:

My best experience with 1911s has been with Colts.

I have owned 13 Kimber 1911s, 5 of them were $2,000.00 "Custom Shop" pistols.

Kimber warranty and service can be good, and it can be lacking. If you have ANY problem, and the Custom Shop will not work with your reasonable requests, call the V.P. of the company. Trust me, he DOES want to hear about ANY abusive or negligent treatment. He has, and will continue to intervene!

A note for serious consideration--of the 5 Custom Shop Kimbers purchased last year, 4 were factory-defective. One had to be returned 2 times and was still wrong.

I came to the conclusion that ANY firearm that I were to purchase would have to be broken completely down, cleaned and inspected before I would buy it. Some of the defects that I saw were SHOCKING, and were observable only when the pistol was broken down.

I actually generated an Excel check-list for the frame, slide, barrel with about 30 reference points and a check-list. If the pistol failed ANY of the 30 points, forget it.

Since using the check-list, ALL of my pistols have been excellent, including my latest Kimber, a Warrior.

It is not the manufacturer that is the issue, it is the individual pistol. Even Colt can turn out a bad item. Check it over real well.

Also, when I spoke with Dennis at Kimber (he was one of the directors in the custom shop) he told me that even if the pistol is 10 years old, if the problem was kimber's fault, that they WILL repair it free. He was quite insistent that no one at Kimber wants bad products out there.

But, dollar-for-dollar, I'll take a Colt. My Colts are exceptional!
Of all of the 1911s that I have owned, 2 stand out: Colt WWI 1911 reproduction; and Colt Series 70 reproduction. They are the two pistols that I want to be buried with.

:)

Doc2005

Monkeyleg
April 23, 2006, 05:46 PM
I've told my own story before, but I'll repeat it.

Bought my first Kimber in 1998. A couple of years later, I was trying out a buddy's AMT Hardballer, and the trigger was much better than on my Kimber. I called the custom shop and asked if they could lighten and smooth it. The told me to send it to them, and I had a back in a week. For no cost. And the pistol was well out of warranty.

I bought a Pro Carry in 1999. In 2002 I had a problem with the slide release. They sent me a new one at no cost.

When I dropped the Pro Carry a couple of years ago (and broke all sorts of parts) I had a new safety put on the pistol. It broke the first time I used it. Had a new one in a couple of days.

I don't have any experience with any other 1911 manufacturers, so take the above for what it's worth.

MICHAEL T
April 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
Buy a Colt No one has more experiance at makeing 1911 that Colt. I have 3 and their keepers Other 1911 I have don't seem to stay around Just Colts.

NineseveN
April 23, 2006, 08:40 PM
Get the Springfield Loaded. Since you actually asked about it, I figured I'd toss a vote in; unlike the Colt chorus. :rolleyes:

Springfield has a lifetime warranty for the original owner (you need to send in the warranty card) and their service department is top notch (since that's the question you actually asked).

Kimber has a 1-year warranty. Now, many folks that own Kimbers have had problems covered after the warranty has expired; but remember, Kimber is under no obligation to do this, so if a change in policy or management comes about, you're pretty much out of luck.

Colt has a lifetime warranty for firearms manufactured after 1996 IIRC, (not that you asked about Colt, but since the chorus has sung its tune, I figured I'd include it). Like S&W and SA, this just covers the original owner. They’re okay in the service department from what I hear.

Smith and Wesson (again, not what you asked, but since folks want to just chime in with 'buy X brand because I like them!' I figured I'd include it as well...anyway, S&W has a lifetime warranty (as noted) for the original owner.

I don't know about Colt, but S&W and Springfield have been reported to do warranty work on firearms that belong to someone other than the original owner, though Smith is much more reliable in that department as I understand it.

Between the two you selected, if you're buying new, as long as you like the Springfield's, go for one of those. A lifetime warranty is hard to beat, especially from a good company.

If you're buying used, maybe give Smith and Wesson a look as they're reportedly better about non-original owner warranty work, but again, be advised, they're under absolutely no obligation to continue this policy or honor it in every case.

I'd say buy new, buy a Springfield (out of the two you mentioned) and send in the warranty card. Kimber made a lot of mistakes in the past with bad parts and guns breaking or malfunctioning, they've remedied that for the most part, and I my bet is that they're trying their hardest to repair the damage that caused to their brand name. They're doing a good job from what I can tell, but again, they're under no obligation to continue to warranty their guns after one year any longer than they wish to. If you own your gun for 10 years, it'd be nice to have the peace of mind that you have a legal contract for warranty work, wouldn't it?

Check the www.1911forum.com forums under Kimber and Springfield, see which owners are reporting more issues or complaints if you're wondering about how well the guns hold up.

Good luck, and post pics of whatever you get.

poortrader
April 23, 2006, 09:02 PM
I can tell you about Kimber's unofficial warranty. I bought my Ultra Carry II back in the December of 2004. It want back to the factory for extractor problems in May 2005. Two weeks ago (April 2006, Monday), I sent the Ultra Carry back to Kimber because of additional problems. I got a brand new Ultra Carry II with an internal extractor on Friday of the same week.

This is Customer Service and Warranty.....

railroader
April 23, 2006, 09:46 PM
This isn't warranty related but out of about 3 or 4 springfield loaded 1911's Ive handled the triggers were quite a bit heavier than my kimber custom and some other kimbers I have shot. In fact my Hs2000(xd9mm) has a better trigger than those springfield 1911's had. Something to check out before you purchase. Mark

JohnBT
April 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
"But if you ever have to deal with them, trust me you'll find out real quick no matter how polite you are that everything you say is wrong and they are right."

Really?

A few years ago I called them to buy a windage screw nut for the rear sight on my 2- or 3-year-old Stainless Gold Match after it fell off and disappeared. They were very polite and helpful and said they'd just go ahead and send me one. Great.

They sent me a new rear sight. :confused:

:)

John

Master Blaster
April 24, 2006, 08:48 AM
I have two kimbers one series one 1999, and one series two TLE 2004,

I have about 12,000 rounds fired throught the first, and about 4,000 fired through the second. ZERO problems, perfect function and unbelieveable accuracy with both.

I have never needed the warranty service so I couldnt tell you.

I have a springfield milspec, bought new in DEC 2003, after about 4000 rounds the extractor went south and the gun stopped extracting fired rounds.

I called springfield up and asked them to send me a new extractor.

They said no dice, I have to pay $42 to ship the gun back to them so thay can look at it. I offerred to send back the defective extractor and that was not acceptable either. So I bought a Wilson Bulletproof $32 with shipping and installed it myself.

JMHO YMMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber warranty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!