What powder do you suggest for 45 ACP for a new reloader?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
April 24, 2006, 12:38 AM
Is there an old standby?
Would Accurate #7 be a good choice?

If you enjoyed reading about "What powder do you suggest for 45 ACP for a new reloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LeonCarr
April 24, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hey Lone,

I would go with Winchester 231 for the .45 ACP. IME it has good accuracy and velocity with all bullet weights. You can get the loading data by downloading the Reloaders Guide at www.winchester.com, or by looking in any good reloading manual (which you should have several already and have read them cover to cover before starting to reload, especially the safety warnings).

IMO AA #7 has too slow a burning rate for the .45 ACP. Works great in the 10mm though :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

1911user
April 24, 2006, 12:49 AM
231 is what I use for 45. It's versatile and a classic. Some will say it's a little dirty and maybe they're right. There are lots of good choices and 231 is one of them.

only1asterisk
April 24, 2006, 01:00 AM
AA #7 is bit slow for standard 45 ACP loads. If you really want to use a slow powder, I like Power Pistol. For most loads Win 231, HP-38, AA#5 are about right.

David

dakotasin
April 24, 2006, 01:07 AM
i run power pistol thru mine. works fine.

StrikeEagle
April 24, 2006, 01:16 AM
Is there an old standby?

Yes... Unique. It's what I use.

I heard that the US Govt loaded .45ACP with Bullseye for many decades. True or not, Bullseye is another good choice.

Rustler
April 24, 2006, 01:17 AM
I'll add my choice Hodgdon Tightgroup.

From the Hodgdon site:

TITEGROUPô As the name implies, this new spherical propellant was designed for accuracy. Because of the unique design, this powder provides flawless ignition with all types of primers including the lead-free versions. Unlike pistol powders of the past, powder position in large cases (45 Colt, 357 Magnum and others) has virtually no effect on velocity and performance. Cowboy Action, Bullseye and Combat Shooters should love this one! TITEGROUP has it all, low charge weight, clean burning, mild muzzle report and superb, uniform ballistics.

Lone_Gunman
April 24, 2006, 01:25 AM
Also, what would be a good starting bullet to select for learning how to reload and general plinking?

I see .451 and .452 caliber bullets in 230 grain weights. Are both of these used for 45 ACP???

Sorry to ask such basic questions, I am still in the reading and learning phase and haven't bought equipment yet.

JDGray
April 24, 2006, 07:03 AM
Both work, .451 is for jacketed and plated, .452 for lead:)

mattcat
April 24, 2006, 08:35 AM
when choosing a powder it is good to keep your barrel lingth in mind for a short barrel you want a faster burning powder, but a slower burning powder will build pressures slower and will not make recoil as sharp, it wont make much differance in a 45acp but it makes a lot of difference in longer barreled pistols and rifles

The Bushmaster
April 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
My vote is for W-231 and is one of the cleanest and will have no unburned powder left. I would (as I only shoot jacketed bullets) recommend the Remington 185 grain JHP from www.midwayusa.com . Affordable and accurate.

Stinger
April 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
231 and AA#5 are excellent choices.

Kramer Krazy
April 24, 2006, 01:31 PM
I use #231.

ocabj
April 24, 2006, 01:35 PM
While 231 is probably the most commonly used by those starting out in .45ACP (since it is readily available and easy to meter), other popular ones include Unique, Bullseye, and Clays.

I use Clays mainly since I load light 200gr target loads. I don't really have a load for standard 230gr ball, but I wouldn't use Clays for a fullpower load.

Johnny Guest
April 24, 2006, 01:39 PM
For decades, I used Unique powder - - Burned kegs of it while engaged in IPSC competition with nary a hitch. But what was then my favorite load for 230 RN lead bullets exceeds current max recommended loads, probably because of fancied problems with leading. Then and now the load to duplicate factory ball is the same: 230 FMJ with 6.5 gr. This is the top load listed in the Speer manual - - gives about 840 fps.

Severl years ago, I changed over to Winchester 231 powder, mainly for economy - - Takes fewer grins to give similar velocities. I use 5.4 gr with a 230 RNL bullet and 5.6 with the 230 FMJ.

For sheer accuracy, Unique is bit better.

Best,
Johnny

Backfired
April 24, 2006, 02:52 PM
I use Unique and Red Dot. Other powders will work but Unique and Red Dot seem to burn cleaner and give better accuracy in my pistols.

308win
April 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
+1 on the Unique or Red Dot. Economical and relatively clean burn.

caz223
April 24, 2006, 04:00 PM
I personally use 7.0 grains of unique, a CCI standard primer, a 200 grain XTP-hp bullet and starline brass.
Life is good. :cool:
They are all pretty much the standard.
There are some other powders that are very good, too. Like bullseye, HS-6, WSF, titegroup, clays......

The Bushmaster
April 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
Lone_Gunman...This is another case of which is better (for you). Kelloggs Corn Flakes or Poste Toasties...Chevrolet or Ford. The .45 ACP works well with about any powder you want to use. Pick one. Try it. Pick another. Try it. When you find the one that suits you, let us know...:D

mr_dove
April 24, 2006, 06:51 PM
I'm a new reloader too. I started out with Hodgdon Tightgroup and I have no complaints.

dmftoy1
April 25, 2006, 09:15 AM
+1 on Titegroup and AA #5

rbernie
April 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
In my experience, Titegroup and PowerPistol are too flashy. I'm currently using Unique and Bullseye, but mostly Unique. Tried HS6 and AA#5 and got too much unburned bits-n-gooombah for my taste.

Haven't chrono'ed anything yet. When I whittle down to 2-3 best loads, I'll measure 'em and pick a weeener.

Edited to add: I am currently using Rainier 230gr HPs, and have been very happy with them..

robctwo
April 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'm new at this .45 as well. I'm shooting a lot of target, and wanted a lighter load. I have reduced power recoil springs in both my 5" and 4.25" 1911s. I've pretty much settled in on Clays for now. I have 8 lbs, less the last 2,000 loads.

Running 3.8 to 4.2 under 200 gr SWC, RNFP and 225 TC. Experimenting with bullets. I have had good accuracy from Oregon Laser Cast. They are a bit smoky, but not an issue at the outdoor range. Also am working on some Precission bullets. They aren't as accurate yet, still looking for the right load.

I've run Berrys and Rainiers in plated. Not using fmj at all.

I'm getting the best groups with the OLC TC 225 gr under 3.9 gr Clays.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 25, 2006, 10:18 AM
Powders I've used and liked:

1. W231 - the old standby and works real well.
2. Hogdon Clays - a good powder, burns clean, works in shotgun shells too
3. Hogdon Titegroup - Works well, you can use less grains and loads several calibers. Affordable too.

Bullets:

1. H&G #68 profile Lead Semi Wadcutter (LSWC) - a very accurate lead bullet in most .45's, most bullet makers sell this one. .452 diameter and if seated to the right depth and crimped properly, functions well also.

2. Cast your own bullets out of wheel weights. Much cheaper. My cartridge costs went from $3.50 a box of 50 to around $1.50. And you get another hobby as a benefit. (grin)

Regards,

Dave

StrikeEagle
April 25, 2006, 04:15 PM
2. Cast your own bullets out of wheel weights. Much cheaper. My cartridge costs went from $3.50 a box of 50 to around $1.50. And you get another hobby as a benefit. (grin)

I agree with this totally. You know how as a reloader, reloading just makes so much sense that you don't know why more shooters don't do it? That's the way casters feel about casting... it just makes so much sense! :)

I've been using the Lee Tumble Lube 6-Cav Mold. Really really knocks them out in a hurry. And the Tumble Lube/Liquid Alox method is very very quick and "works a treat" as they say in the UK.

StrikeEagle

Lennyjoe
April 26, 2006, 03:40 AM
Unique with lead and 231 with jacketed. That's what I use for .45's.

tbeb
April 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
I've used 231 for 15 years. It meters uniformily through my Lee powder dispenser. I used to load 200 gr. lead semi-wadcutter bullets and 230 gr. lead round nose bullets, but now I use the 230 gr. exclusively. Check your reloading manual, but 4.9 grs. works for me. I believe the .45 was originally designed for a 230 gr. bullet.

shark40sw
July 31, 2006, 10:46 PM
Without trying to sound like a broken record, W231. With a 200-230 grain LSWC bullet you can't go wrong. 4.8 to 5.3 grains has been very accurate from my 1911. A nice med shooting round.

Chuck R.
July 31, 2006, 11:02 PM
I've been loading .45ACP since 1978, used to rely on 700X simply because I was primarily a shotgun loader and 700X was what I had. Iíve also used Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, 800X, Clays, Tight Group, and now finally WW231.

Itís really a personal preference thing, all seemed to work pretty well. I like the 231 the best, it's clean, cost effective and I get the velocity I want. Clays was good, but I had trouble getting the min PF with a max load.

Settled on 5.0 under a HG #68 either home cast or store bought and have been happy since.

Chuck

Sistema1927
August 1, 2006, 12:07 AM
W231 and HP38 are the exact same powder. Buy whichever one you can get cheapest at your locale.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
August 1, 2006, 12:22 AM
I'll vote for 231 and Unique and Bullseye. Each of them meter very well, are tollorant of warm or light powder charges, loads of lead or jacketed bullets from 185gns to 240gns.

A 200gn Rn or SWC with a light load of 4gns of Bullseye is a great practice or Bullseye competition load. Unique is a very tollorant powder building very even pressures. Although it's not quite as clean burning. A happy medium is 231. But the cat's meow is Bullseye for light plinking loads.

-Steve

jjohnson
August 4, 2006, 12:06 AM
Hey, don't sweat the questions. You'e doing the right thing. Handloading's not a good place to be assuming you know something. It could be expensive, dangerous, or both. The only stupid questions are the ones you didn't read posted answers to. You'll find piles of good answers here. It's a great thing when somebody posts info that will save you money - or your safety. :evil:

Vitamin G
August 4, 2006, 02:55 AM
No matter what powder, the lighter the load, the dirtier it is (compared to a stout load) in my experience anyways.

I use bullseye because its so economical, and my perception is that 4.3gr under a 200gr Berry's SWC is pleasant.

grislyatoms
August 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
My preference:

W231, Winchester large pistol primers, Rainier plated 230 grain RN. Brass is whatever I can scrounge / beg / sweep up / trade.

I have gone through just over 6K rounds (I've only been reloading for a couple years) with the above and I am quite pleased.

RickSavage
August 5, 2006, 02:31 PM
Been using unique for 20 yrs. 6 gs , 230 lead rn. I see a lot of you use bullseye. I had a real hard time with that powder.Every match i shot in with that powder,I started getting jams after 50 rounds or so. I found it really dirty and gritty. But unique was good to go. I shot in a match once that was 400 rounds long and not 1 jam.......my 2c......Rick

HSMITH
August 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
Clays in target loads for everything but the ultimate accuracy loads. Bullseye or N310 if you want all the accuracy you will get out of the gun. Unique is about as good as you will get if you want full power with lead bullets. Power Pistol is about as good as you will get if you want full power with jacketed bullets.

sixguns
August 5, 2006, 04:35 PM
I currently use Hodgdon Universel Clays. I used to use 231 and unique.

Lloyd Smale
August 5, 2006, 07:42 PM
bullseye and aa2 surplus

cherryriver
August 7, 2006, 07:04 PM
After thirty years of using Unique, I branched out and tried several others. In the end, Winchester Super Target (WST) wins out. Inexpensive, fairly clean, nice, snappy, reliable action in 1911s, and the big bonus- it's quiet. I actually had a match director question my power factor because my loads seemed too quiet. (I chronoed fine.)
I also went away from lead after even more than 30 years of it. Rainier TMJs make cleanup time easy, and if you buy right (Cabelas works for me), they're only slightly more expensive than lead. Last I looked, they could be had for 7 1/2 cents.
4.5grs of WST with the 230gr round nose Rainier makes a little more than 700fps in warm weather. I just plain settled on 5.0 (according to my ancient scale) to get 810fps from a 5" gun on a warm day and know that my 4 1/4" Commanders will make major even in winter. I can't find actual official data for this exact Rainier/WST combination, and it does seem to exceed some 230gr published lead load limits, but I get no overpressure signs in my guns. If you're using a different bullet, you may be over the line with 5.0gr, and of course, starting lower is always necessary.
I also put up a puffball load with the same 230gr bullets and 3.5gr of WST to get barely 600fps in a 5" gun, and about 550fps in a 3 1/2". This runs well in most guns, even my Para Companion, with the nice quick burn to get the slide going, and recoils like a .22 in a GM. With a 10-pound spring, this is super-quick for steel plate competition, and may bring cheating complaints from the peanut gallery. Heh.
My wife thinks it's just the thing for "doing the dishes"- plate rack cleaning.
Bullseye was indeed the original .45ACP powder and can't be beat for reliable function, if not cleanliness.
1911s, it seems to me, prefer a quick start to the burn cycle and WST and Bullseye (and their ilk) are the best in this regard.
Bill

8ring
August 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
+1 to WST, especially with lead and moly-coated bullets.

In addition, it meters very well, is bulky so it fills the case, and is light gray in color so it's easy to see it inside the case.

I find it cleaner and much less "snappy" than Titegroup at target velocities.

Chris

DIXIEKIMBER
August 14, 2006, 06:01 PM
I shoot both USPSA and IDPA, at least two matches a month. I use Winchester 231 with 200 grn SWC cast lead bullets. I use 5.5 grns of 231 and this makes a good low recoil load that is accurate. Between me and my son-in-law we load around 400 to 500 rounds a month. Been very please with the 231 for competiiton use.:)

August 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
Bullseye or Unique

antarti
August 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
If you want to stick with the Accurate line of powders, go to AA#5 instead of AA#7.

Tried HS6 and AA#5 and got too much unburned bits-n-gooombah for my taste.

I hated HS6 exactly for the reason you mention, but I didn't have anything like the same problem with AA#5.

Also, AA#5 meters so well weighing charges has so far just been wasted time. Ok, so it's not really "wasted" but you get the idea.. meters like water.

I load 230g lead (Zeros) to GI velocities (8.0-8.1grns AA#5, IIRC) for cheap practice loads, and full power 185 or 230 Golden Sabers for more serious practice loads and backup carry loads.

joneb
August 17, 2006, 01:18 AM
I use W-231 and Unique, W-231 meters better for me, but I like Unique for my 230 grn. loads.

donkee
August 17, 2006, 07:33 AM
I like Unique. I get great results in all the calibers I load for using it.

birddog
August 17, 2006, 07:54 AM
I've also had excellent luck with Unique for .45acp. Here is my combination:

(***consult a quality reloading manual...don't trust guys on the Internet***)

230 FMJ: 6.5gr Unique

230 LRN 5.5gr Unique

I use Unique for .44 mag hunting and target loads, .357, and .45, and have had great luck with it. Not any dirtier than factory loads, and easy to come by.

AgentOrange
January 3, 2009, 07:32 PM
5.7 grains unique with 230gr hornady XTP HP
1 hole 25yd groups from a rest out of a 5" colt government MKVI series 70 custom built match gun with KKM precision match barrel

FoMoGo
January 4, 2009, 01:42 AM
I load .45 acp and .44 special... just got rid of all my .357... and use unique.
It meters well for me, consistent, not very dirty, and worked well with everything I loaded.

Jim

lgbloader
January 4, 2009, 01:53 AM
Strike Eagle,

Nice to see you... to see you nice.

I agree. Casting really does make so much sense, plus it is quite fun playing with the molten Lead.

Cheers

LGB

The Bushmaster
January 4, 2009, 11:08 AM
Reading back through this thread I notice that people seem to think that AA #7 is "too slow" (burn rate) for .45 ACP...My Colt 1911 sure works fine with AA #7 and is accurate with 185 grain JHP. From 9.7 grains (900+ fps) to 11.0 grains (1,000+ fps).

When you settle on a powder and have time to experiment with other powders you might have a look at AA #7...

Redneck with a 40
January 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've got to vote for the old standby, Unique.:D Maybe rcmodel will chime in here, he's been reloading forever, and he swears by Unique. I've been loading 40 S&W with Unique, my only pistol powder, the stuff works!:)

LCTitan
January 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
As you can see you will get many reponses and suggestions for this load. I really like both Bullseye and Win 231 for 45ACP FMJ.

Mr.Revolverguy
January 4, 2009, 12:25 PM
I like W231 it meters excellent in all three measures I have. I have a lee auto disk pro on a turret, Hornady LNL, and a RCBS Uniflow. Becareful of Bullseye because it only meters well in the Uniflow powder measure which means single stage reloading for me if I use it. I mainly have the single stage RCBS setup just for more precision rifle loads. My handgun rounds usually get loaded through the Hornady or the Lee Turret.

moooose102
January 4, 2009, 12:36 PM
i have loaded a lot of rounds of 45 acp with aa#7. but i have tinkered with a few other powders as well. some burn cleaner, but aa#7 seems to give me the best velocity. i am honestly not a good enough shot to determine how much difference (if any) a powder has on accuracy.

January 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
I use Unique for a few reason. You can bet just about any one who sells powder will stock it unless they are sold out. It is fairly cheap. It burns real clean. Lastly safety if some how you manage to accidently double charge 6.5-7gr of unique your case will be filled all the way to the top and I dont think the bullet will seat.
AA7 works good for 45ACP+P type loads because it burns a little slow for standard 45ACP loads.

Lazuris
January 4, 2009, 11:56 PM
6g Unique 230g FMJ. Unique is a great powder when used to near max. Light loads tend to be dirty. I like Unique for all pistols to 44 mag. You can use it for nice medium +357/44mag loads as well as 38'and 40's. It pretty much covers all the bases. There are powders that can push the 45 faster than unique but for every day shooting, IDPA, and having fun at the range, and training why beat up your gun?

Lone_Gunman
January 5, 2009, 12:11 AM
I started this thread two and a half years ago...

mrayw
January 5, 2009, 12:17 AM
200 gr lswc
7.3 gr power pistol
cci large pistol primer
love the fireball muzzle flash!!!

flying
January 5, 2009, 12:21 AM
Just curious but not many use AA#2?
Any reason for that?

ls0n3
January 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
I too was wondering why no one mentioned accurate arms #2.

I plan on firing my reloads from my taurus pt 145. Its barrel is just over 3 inches.

My bud who reloads suggested AA#2 over AA #7.

any opinions?

flying
January 5, 2009, 01:28 AM
Well Im going to start :)
Reason being I used it on 9mm & 38super in the past.
I also notice it is right below bullseye on the burn rate charts.
I loved Bullseye for 45 target but it was always so dirty I stopped using it.
Now that I am going back to reloading after years off I want to get one powder for 9mm & 45 so I thought AA#2
We Will see

joneb
January 5, 2009, 02:48 AM
Just curious but not many use AA#2?
Any reason for that?
I got stuck on Bullseye but I do want to give AA#2 a try.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/570103904/m/6691045613?r=6691045613#6691045613

Walkalong
January 5, 2009, 10:37 AM
AA #2 works very well in .45 ACP with plated bullets. It's very clean, accurate, and gives really good ES & SD numbers. Meters like a dream.

floydster
January 5, 2009, 05:38 PM
I have just started loading for the .45, my first load is 5.3 grs. Unique pushing a 230 gr. Cast RN. It works awesome in my new .45 Witness Match,
not one hiccup out of the box.
Floydster:)

readr1
January 6, 2009, 10:29 PM
Unique

cajun 48
January 15, 2009, 12:33 PM
lone-gunman, Don't care when you started it, apparently it's such a good topic it just keeps on goin' and goin' and goin'!!:D Matter of fact my local is out of hp38 and win 231 (been out for 2 weeks now) and reading this thread helped me pick another to load with! thanks!

aj b

luzyfuerza
January 19, 2009, 01:08 AM
Here are my results with AA#2 in .45 ACP:

3" barrel, 230 gr. Win RNFMJ

4.5 gr, 699 fps, SD=10 fps, IDPA power factor=160655
5.0 gr, 765 fps, SD=9 fps, IDPA PF=175950
5.5 gr, 818 fps, SD=9 fps, IDPA PF=188178
6.1 gr, 885 fps, SD=7 gps, IDPA PF=203550

5" barrel, 230 gr. Win RNFMJ

5.5 gr, 865 fps, SD=12 fps, IDPA PF=199027

Currently working on loads for LRN.

ls0n3
January 19, 2009, 01:24 AM
i went ahead and placed my powder orders for a little variation..

lb each of AA#2, bullseye, red dot, titegroup, w231

Figure i can try and learn which one my lil pee shooter likes best :)

Marlin 45 carbine
January 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
Bullseye is good for cast slugs in the .45acp IMO (and other standard pistol rounds). I use PP for jacketed.

Steve C
January 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
Standard to full power loads use Unique or powder with similar burn rate like Universal, SR7625 or AA#5. For target loads go with something faster like W231, Hp38, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays, AA#2, Zip, etc.

I've tried Power Pistol in the .45 but it never did anything Unique didn't do better. Its great for high pressure 9mm for which it was designed but IMO not so good in the lower pressure .45 acp.

Ghiller
March 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
Hey Guys, new here, but I've been reloading awhile...I shoot plates, and target mostly, and I will agree with 95% of the crowd that NOTHING shoots softer than clays...until NOW...I have been playing with Trail Boss, and it is a plate shooters dream...if you think Clays is soft, you gotta try Trail Boss...It prefers a heavy Bullet..230 grain with 4.5gr of powder, or 5.2-5.4 gr of powder with a 185gr...no possible chance of a double charge as it fills the case completley...If you don't try it, you are missing out....simply unbelievable.

HKIWB
March 3, 2009, 05:00 PM
New to this as well, and started out with Hodgdon HP-38 because I couldn't find W231. They are supposedly identical. After a few hundred rounds with HP-38, I switched to W231 and found that it looks the same, meters the same and burns just as clean. My reloads with 5.3g to 5.5g of either powder under a Zero 230g FMJ leave less residue than factory WWB and Blazer Brass 230g FMJ.

I'm reloading .45 ACP for about half the cost of factory ammo at WalMart. It could be cheaper if I cast my own, but that's not an option due to my polygonal barrel and a range that doesn't allow non-jacketed ammo.

Sam Adams
March 3, 2009, 05:04 PM
+1 on Titegroup. I used to use W231, but this is more accurate and cleaner. No real complaints either way. I also use Unique, but for other rounds.

I've found that Titegroup is fine for both 9mm and .45.

THe Dove
March 3, 2009, 07:05 PM
+1 for titegroup and AA#5. Both work well for me and my P220.

The Dove

LeadSpitter
September 4, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hello all. Not only new to reloading, but, as you might also notice or have noticed, I'm new to this forum as well.

And Lone gunman, glad you asked this question as I'm new to reloading.

I will be loading Hornady .451 230gr. HP-XTP (got 1000 of them for only the shipping, $21.95 when I bought the Hornady LNL AP Press).

I bought only a pound of Unique and up until this thread, didn't think twice about it and unless something happened or came up, planned on buying more. But now, now, it looks like I'll be needing to also try W231. If I were to or if I ever decide to load lead bullets, I'll then try Bullseye.

Another thing I'd like to ask is, what primers are you guys purring behind your preferred powders?

You guys using CCI? Winchester? Remington? Something else maybe? Anyone using a magnum primer? Now, remember, I'm new to reloading and am pretty much teaching myself. But I have read magnum primers can be used and can work in and or with some applications/recipes.

Look forward to your input and replies regarding the primers.

Again, Lone Gunman, thanks again for asking the question way back when...

clone
September 4, 2010, 03:44 AM
Ghiller,

What kinda of velocity are you getting with Trailboss? I use it for light rifle loads with good results. But never thought of it for 45acp.

bds
September 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
LeadSpitter, welcome to THR.

For 230 gr 45ACP, I use 5.0 gr of W231/HP38 (same powder) with Winchester LP primer (during the primer shortage, I have also used Wolf LP primers with good results).

If I were to or if I ever decide to load lead bullets, I'll then try Bullseye.
I also use Bullseye for 45ACP with good results, but for lead 230 gr RN and 200 gr SWC/RN bullets, I prefer 5.0 gr of W231/HP38 and the load produces no leading in barrels shooting Missouri Bullets at 18 BHN.

Fishslayer
September 4, 2010, 12:02 PM
Wow. 4+ years for this thread. Somebody's been using the "search.":D

I started loading last year & found Bullseye has lots of data available and the powder itself is also available locally. Something to consider here in the People's Republik. I don't like the idea of spending $20 hazmat fee for a few pounds of powder that's probly backordered anyway.

Bullseye's been around longer than this thread... or ME, for that matter...;)

The downside is the same as one of the upsides. It's a dense powder, a little goes a long way. This means you can also let a double charge slip by if you're not paying attention.

RealGun
September 4, 2010, 03:46 PM
When I had the same question, the answer was "whatever was available locally" that showed a proven load in one of the manuals. Buy one pound and go from there. The really popular stuff will be sold out, most likely, but there are many powders that work well. I also followed advice from sales people but was on full alert trying to judge whether they would know. Turns out both were reloaders themselves and well accustomed to substituting powders based on availability.

Another baseline is the mil standard load of 5.0 gr of Bullseye. That is actually what I use and enjoy working with from a reloading perspective. I had to special order it in quantity, 8 pounds of Bullseye and 8 pounds of Power Pistol. I am not planning to pay another hazmat fee for a long time but it took me a while to be confident of my choices.

I am sure there are other good ones, but again it was partly what was available to special order. I will never use W231 for example, because it is too popular and hard to find. I am not tied to the pet loads for lead bullets, so I can let others chase W231.

bds
September 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
Powder Valley currently has W231 ($116/8 lbs) and HP38 ($108/8 lbs) in stock (same exact powder).

If you reload, you can check with other reloaders at the range and do a group buy to decrease the HazMat/Shipping cost 2, 3, 4 or more ways. Most will jump at the offer as they can order the powder(s) they want/need.

With about $12 shared cost of HazMat/Shipping cost, 8 lbs of HP38 came to $120 or $15/lb.

If you are unable to locate W231/HP38 locally, I have been recommending Green Dot as a close substitute with the recoil/accuracy comparable to W231/HP38 (you just need to use 0.2-0.3 gr more per round, but it costs less). I find that Green Dot is readily available at just about all the gun/reloading supply stores and like W231/HP38, meters very well.

Redneck with a 40
September 4, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'd go with unique, very versatile powder that you can't go wrong with. Its a little on the dirty side, but so what, you clean you're guns right?:)

Hondo 60
September 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
From Hodgdon: Titegroup, W231 or Universal
or AA#5.

Started using Titegroup for .38 special, .357 Magnum & 45 Colt because that's what the store had.

LeadSpitter
September 5, 2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the welcome and input bds.

Yea, I think I'm going to also pick me up some W231. Like I said, I already have a pound of Unique, so, I know I'll be using it as well. But, I want to find something that works well in my SW1911PD and my service model XD, both of which are obviously ,45acp.

This reply is to fishslayer. FWIW- I don't know who, why or when this thread was resurrected from the deep murky depths of the archives, but when I googled "best powder for .45acp", it was one of many that came up, and I just clicked on it. lol

Again, for fishslayer, after further review, I guess I'm the culprit who resurrected this thread. LMAO Like I said, I googled "best powder for .45acp", and it came up and I clicked on it. I started reading, got to the end of the posts and had to chime in. Didn't even think to or bother to look at the date. lol

So, I'll take the lashings. lol

The Bushmaster
September 5, 2010, 10:49 AM
Another powder that does well with the shorter barrels on .45 ACP's is WSF. 185 grain JHP bullet over 7.7 grains works very well in my 3" .45 ACP

Jech
September 5, 2010, 03:56 PM
Leadspitter, I've put about a thousand rounds down range with my SA XD45ACP 5" using varying charges of Unique and the 230gr LRN "Softball" from Missouri Bullets. In those 1k rounds, I tried a full spectrum of charges...so low they were stovepiping to so high that I won't repeat them here for liability's sake ;) I was never able to fully eliminate leading sadly. I just picked up a pound of HP38 from a local retailer and hope to see better results.

Although Unique shot accurately and reliably, in conjunction with the lube MBC uses on their bullets, I had *a lot* of fouling and "gum" in my slide. A freshly cleaned gun would be fouled so badly after 100 rounds that my chamber indicator would be stuck in the "chamber loaded" position until I dropped it's pin and used a pick to clean out the crap. Yuck!

noylj
September 6, 2010, 02:16 AM
Twenty years ago I would have said Unique. Period.
Now, I would say 231/HP38 or AA2.
I have had squirrely pressure spikes with Clays and TightGroup as I approached max. Be careful.
Other powders that have been good are Competition, WST, PB, Zip, and AA5.
If you want to work more with ball loads (military duplicate loads), I would look at WSL, Unique, Universal, N330, Power Pistol, and Silhouette (was WAP)

gunslinger720
December 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
use unique for target loads in a 44 mag I can see but for hunting loads Unique will never get you to velocities for distance or larger game than a smaller animal. I've been shooting the 44 mag for Hunting and Target also and with 19.0 grains of 2400 behind a 240 grain Hornady hp-xtp, a 240 grn Gold dot or a Hard cast Keith style SWC ( all depending on what game I'm going for) but H-110, Win. 296 (now alliant) LiL Gun, AA #9,Blue Dot or even Imr 4227 is by far hunting Powders over unique. God forbid you come upon a black or Grizzley Bear as all you'll do is piss him off. I started Reloading in 1972 and have an entire room in my home devoted to loading with manuels going back as far as 1965 ( My Step Father was a commercial reloader with star Progressives all through the basement. I just have Dillons and Rockchuckers ( for testing loads I'm Developing) but Honestly for target I can agree that Unique is a decent Powder for 44's but for Hunting I'd rethink my decision about unique, and I use and have used just about every make and model of 44's with the longest bbl being a 7 1/2" Ruger BH but have settled on a good S&W 629 Classic but for heavy and dangerous game I take the Ruger super Redhawk as with my loads the smith will wind up parts in my hand if my hand is still there LOL I'm honestly not trying to look like a know it all but I'd hate to see you go hunting and run into something that the unique won't penetrate and hit vital organs before it gets too close to you as even wild pig (Boar) takes a hell of a lot of penetration to put down and I found that out first hand

gunslinger720
December 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
I tried using 231 and unique for the 45 auto but I was also loading the 40 S&W and 10mm in my Delta Elite and was having real good luck with velocities and accuracy so I tried using Pistol Power in the 45 auto in my Para Ordenance PXT 1911 SSP and whether it was a 185 SWC or a 230 Grn Speer Gold Dot the velocities were good and the accuracy was just as good. Since that I found its pretty good in most calibers I tried it in. Some better than others but still good. I've been using it for the last few years and I'm very happy with it use a good manuel and work up slow and I'm sure you'll be surprised at just how good it is:eek:

Skip_a_roo
December 27, 2010, 07:08 AM
bullseye and aa2 surplus
And you need no other!

200gr to 230gr.

If you enjoyed reading about "What powder do you suggest for 45 ACP for a new reloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!