Travelling on airlines with firearms

PDA

Anthony_
April 25, 2006, 04:42 AM
First time post, glad to be a part of thr!

I'm travelling to Kansas City from Florida end of may, and I bought a hard gun case for it.

Any suggestions on making travelling with an AR15 and handguns to make my trip easier?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Travelling on airlines with firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
evan price
April 25, 2006, 06:39 AM
Check out the airline you are flying- they will have instructions on their web site. Generally the weapon must be unloaded, ammo must be contained in a factory-equivilant box (with little pockets for the ammo, not a big bag-o' rounds). Weapon must be seperate from the ammo. Weapon must be in a locked, hard sided case (even if it is a pistol travelling in other luggage). Weapon must be declared when bags are checked. There is a form to fill out.
I just flew with my SIG and bought ammo where I was going for the first time and I was really underwhelmed by how much not a big deal it was to do this. I even got there early in case TSA wanted to crawl into my rectum with a mag-lite... but they really didn't seem to care that much honestly. I was even worried flying back because I had about 200 rnds of expended .44 mag brass with me (I rented a .44mag revolver for some fun & wasn't going to just LEAVE that lovely factory brass behind!); the screener didn't care.

Anthony_
April 25, 2006, 06:41 AM
Sweet, thanks Evan, I appreciate it!

I'm a little worried, as the case for my AR15 just screams out guns.

Gonna check with the airlines.

Cheers!

hso
April 25, 2006, 07:25 AM
You can purchase serveral "camoflage" type cases for an AR in a pawn shop. Look for a trombone or any large musical instrument case that can be locked.

That said, with TSA around I wouldn't worry too much about someone stealing you weapon.

Down load the instructions from your airlines website and keep a set on you and in your weapon case. Do the same for TSA's instructions. I've never had a problem flying and checking a handgun, but then I always carry a copy of the airline's rules as well with the gun info written on them and just hand it to the clerk and declare I'm checking a handgun.

CWL
April 25, 2006, 03:22 PM
dupe.

CWL
April 25, 2006, 03:27 PM
Flying out of Florida is easy, once you declare your firearm(s), the check-in person will ask you to open your case to drop in the red card (unloaded firearm declaration) and then call for TSA to walk you over to TSA secure area for inspection and plane loading. Not a big deal really. Just make sure that check-in ammo is limited to 11lbs and is carried only in original boxes or plastic reload boxes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Travelling on airlines with firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!