THR going down the drain...

PDA

Kobun
April 23, 2003, 04:11 PM
I am finding myself spending less and less time in the general Discussion forum!

With all these "what if" threads, about bugs and dinosaurs etc. I find it a waste of time.

Please STOP!!!

It is neighter fun nor interesting in any way.

This is THR, like in HIGH, not low...
I used to come here to read, learn and become friends with nice people from around the world.

Please don't bug down this board with crap.

Sure, I can take some of it, but when every second topic is some fantasy that isn't even plausable in real life, then it is a waste.

Think about it everyone...

If you enjoyed reading about "THR going down the drain..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dude
April 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
just don't read them (duh)

I have not read any 'cause I can tell by the title they are lame.........no worries

Carlos Cabeza
April 23, 2003, 04:19 PM
First vote for STOP !!!!!!!!
This isn't a video game forum, so let's quit the "Mutant Aliens" posts.

Sincerely,
Carlito

buzz_knox
April 23, 2003, 04:19 PM
I would have voted for either "who cares, as you don't have to open the thread" or "I like them occasionally, as they add a bit of levity between posts of losing our rights and good people being murdered because they didn't have a weapon." But the poll was a little bit rigged to one side.

Chipperman
April 23, 2003, 04:22 PM
I don't bother reading them, unless I want a laugh.
I don't mind them being here. This is the General Forum.

RustyHammer
April 23, 2003, 04:23 PM
I concur with Buzz .....

telewinz
April 23, 2003, 04:24 PM
I don't mind the "what if" polls at all. They can be funny and interesting. I think because of TV and the War coverage that the quality of the posts has suffered some. Seems that some of the regulars are coming back.

gudel
April 23, 2003, 04:25 PM
i always ignore the ccw posts. most of them are ridiculous. man, how did these people get a license to have ccw in the first place? scary.

Justin
You'll notice that there's currently only one fantasy-related thread still going, because it's gun related. The others have been locked down.
I don't think that the occassional fantasy-style thread is all that bad, a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor is always a good thing. Keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously. I doubt that it's something that's going to be a regular occurrence, and if it becomes one, the mods will deal with it.
:)

Mal H
Kobun is absolutely right.

I don't care if I hurt anyone's feelings on this, those types of threads are downright silly. They are the kind of topics school children would dream up. Let's serious up here folks.

dude - You suggest that we "just don't read them", but that doesn't really improve the quality of THR. They are still here in our sight, they still take up THR disk space, they still take up the Moderator's time since we are practically obligated to read them.

Humorous threads are fine and are welcome as long as they are on topic. An occasional off-topic and humorous post or two in an on-topic thread is also fine. But, the "what if" threads aren't all that humorous.

"Think about it everyone..."

buzz_knox
April 23, 2003, 04:34 PM
And once again, we are reminded that many qualities, including the level of humor in a particular subject, is in the eye of the beholder. Yet one more proof that whether something should be banned or locked should be based strictly on its relationship to the issue of firearms.

Greg L
April 23, 2003, 04:36 PM
I really don't care, I generally don't open them. If pressed I would probably come down on the get rid of them side. However I would rather see the monster/alien threads for levity rather than the SHTF threads that all revolve around the same idea with only slight differences between them.

Greg

P12
April 23, 2003, 04:43 PM
i always ignore the ccw posts. most of them are ridiculous. man, how did these people get a license to have ccw in the first place? scary.

I don't read all of them but, like what bothers you?:confused:

Flashpoint
April 23, 2003, 04:45 PM
I found THR after running from a forum that went to crap. The forum either didn't have a moderator or the mod didn't care. It was alright for a while, we pretty well checked ourselves, but then he came. You didn't have to be registered to post so this troll came in. He basicly badmouthed anything anyone would say. Then people started making fun of him it was funny for awhile and then it got old, and it was something that couldn't be ignored. The fantasy thread are the same way, amusing at first but could get old and annoying. Just here recently I got an Email from handgunreview.com (http://) they got a mod that started making manditory reg. and got rid of the troll, it's now a respectable forum again.

El Tejon
April 23, 2003, 05:01 PM
As long as we rid ourselves of threads about bears and unicorns, I'm with ya, Kobun!:)

bogie
April 23, 2003, 05:19 PM
Merge 'em all, and let Bob sort 'em out!

Personally, I think it's sorta fun.

Remember that the "gun culture" isn't _just_ about personal defense, CCW, or duck hunting... It has many facets, and a time honored TFL tradition was "what would you use if something REALLY absurd happened..."

Okay - would would YOU use if you woke up, and suddenly found yourself in the middle of a John Woo movie?

My answer: the remote!

Fun is a Good Thing, folks. When you get too serious, you become incredibly boring. If all I saw on this forum was "what kinda gun should I carry" questions, I'd leave. All that crap has been hashed and rehashed by the folks in the hawaiian shirts...

And by the way, I own a hawaiian shirt with the same pattern that Selleck wore in Magnum PI... And he waved around a 1911 with fair regularity in that show. And since it was in hawaii, I'm sure there were big hairy spiders in the underbrush, right?

Phyphor
April 23, 2003, 05:31 PM
...is exactly the sort of thing I see on Usenet all too often, and it usually leads to the same damned thing. Flamewar, flamewar, flamewar.

Instead of posting on-topic stuff only (in an effort to get the signal-to-noise ration higher,) he posts a whining diatribe on the evils of so-called fantasy threads.

Not everyone likes such threads, of course. Then again, I don't recall any TOS agreement with THR that requires that one reads each and every thread that's posted.

To those that don't like such threads, do yourselves a favor and just ignore them. If they get out of hand, the Administrator and moderators will no doubt take care of them.

Let 'em do their jobs.

:banghead:

Pappy John
April 23, 2003, 05:32 PM
Some I open and read....others I ignore. Its like most things in life, you make choices. I'm more worried about the attitude that you would like to see limits on what we all discuss, thereby taking that choice away. As long as we're talking about annoying topics....polls with steered options annoy me much, much more.:rolleyes:

coonan357
April 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
I personnally don't care , I sometimes open them up take a look to see were its going and then let it go or respond sometimes the humor in them kind of lightens up the seriousness around here and show the outsiders that we do have a sense of humor at times. and sometimes we need a little creative outlet on tfl there where many atimes on fiday nights when thse of us who didn't have an outside life or where stuck at work to make things a little lighter .. as we say in the trucking industry if you don't like whats being said on the radio, turn the channel or turn it off.

Kobun
April 23, 2003, 05:49 PM
OK, I did not mention anyones posts in perticular, but since I'm obviously whining...

I did NOT say we can't have humor here.
Reread my first post if in doubt.

I also admit the poll might be a bit biased... That came from being fed up with what I consider dumb posts.

Here are some examples (only the subject) of treads that I feel wastes my time:
Where Can I get One Of These? (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19702)
Hello, THR moderators? (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19696)
Uh oh! There goes Tokyo!!! (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19692)
GIANT bugs (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19500)

If those people that starts a tread just for the sace of starting a tread, or wants to have some outofthisworld (R) discussion, than can't they also MARK the subject line?
I opened the "Uh oh! There goes Tokyo!!!" tread because I thought something had happened in Tokyo that was remotely gun related.

Treads like those are scams! The poster does not use the subject line to describe the message in the posts.

So, if I whine, so be it.

K.

Moondancer
April 23, 2003, 06:04 PM
I had to go with "I don't care". If I'm in the mood, I read 'em. And if the Subject Line isn't descriptive, and I open one, and I'm not in a humurous mood, I go "BACK". Time lost... 2 seconds. No big thing. I spend / waste more time on threads with polls than I do on reading uninteresting threads that I can't self-censor from subject lines.

Soap
April 23, 2003, 06:04 PM
It is fun and stress relief every now and then to celebrate our Gun Dorkiness. Think about it, we have people here who worry about their SHTF rifle selection all the time, so why not have a thread about killin' bugs?

But, we're at Oleg's barbeque so its his call.

Kestryll
April 23, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think those posts are rather amusing. At least most of the post'ers make an attempt to include a vague left-handed referance to firearms.
As the saying goes, you don't like, don't open. I don't see Godzilla standing behind you with a gun saying "Open 'em all or I shoot!"
I know some people don't make the title match the post, it happens. So you pop a post, it's not what you want, you close it and move on. Three seconds outta your life unless your on a 28.8 modem, in which case we have bigger issues to cover!

Mizzoutiger
April 23, 2003, 06:18 PM
Hmmm... funny. This thread seems to be offtopic as it is not gun related. :rolleyes:

280PLUS
April 23, 2003, 06:19 PM
it looks like a split down the middle between stop and don't care so i say try only posting ridiculous threads only half as much and everybody should be happy...

try to only post every OTHER ridiculous thread idea you come up with

:rolleyes:

SodaPop
April 23, 2003, 06:21 PM
I have to admit that things get a little too goofy at THR. The L&P and General Discussions here haven't been at the same level as TFL was 6 months ago.

From time to time its nice to break the ice with some slapstick, but I've had issues with some of the stuff that is constantly being posted over and over in the L&P and GD forum.

Double Maduro
April 23, 2003, 06:39 PM
Since this thread has absolutely nothing to do with guns or shooting, kind of like the video game thread. Shouldn't it be locked?

I have had threads locked that actually had firearms content, because they were deemed to be badly disquised attempts to talk about my grandkids or cigars or the number of posts I had made. Some were.

I feel that if it is of general interrest to the members of this board it should be allowed. Although I think they are sometimes a bit heavy handed and sometimes to lax, I feel the moderators are doing a pretty good job.

I don't read the buggy threads like I don't read those about video games.

Bruce H
April 23, 2003, 06:44 PM
Oh yes lets just post serious material. That way every post will be locked before a dozen replies. It sure doesn't take very long for the " my .45 is bigger that your.45" garbage to surface. Comedy and silliness make a much nicer day and it isn't like we are here to save the world. Very little world saving done with our posteriors planted in a chair.

Oh yes while I'm here we need a low road also. That is where our opponents reside. They use any and all tactics available to further their ends. Keeping your nose in the air and your eyes on the sky is a real good way to have your high hill dug out from under you.

DamnedDirtyApe
April 23, 2003, 06:46 PM
I'd like this section to be like GNG at Glock Talk.

Marriages, divorces, gas stoves, shoplifting, bad beer, cars/trucks/boats/planes, good beer, favorite comic book,...etc. etc. etc.

Hkmp5sd
April 23, 2003, 06:49 PM
Read the forum rules. Obey the forum rules. Simple.

zahc
April 23, 2003, 06:51 PM
The cool thing about forums is, if you don't like it, don't bump it. Some ppl don't get it, and will dig up an old post just to insult it.

dude
April 23, 2003, 07:00 PM
so let me get this straight

.........................some of y'all don't like the stuff in some of the threads, but you can tell by the title of thread that you will not like what's in the thread........but you read it anyway. Or you don't read it, yet are still bothered by it!

The fact that the thread even exists is bothersome..............hmmmm

Some of you have ALOT in common with my ex-wife!!

QuarterBoreGunner
April 23, 2003, 07:07 PM
I voted 'don't care' but would have rather voted 'they don't bother me.' Yes they're silly, and yes they're barely related to the forum topics, but if I’m not interested I don’t read them.

But then again I came to this forum to talk firearms and related issues and would really hate to have to wade through a dozen ‘What if…?’ threads just to find what I was really interested in. One every once in awhile is good for a giggle but let’s be reasonable about it. I get the feeling the ‘Giant bug’ and ‘Aliens’ threads were simply in response to the ‘Zombie’ thread; a little ‘I can come up with a more outlandish scenario than you can’ contests.

I trust the mods judgement to close the threads when they feel they need to be closed.

Nightcrawler
April 23, 2003, 07:16 PM
I've got the sneaking suspicion my Zombie thread has something to do with this.

I'll point out that as dumb as it is, dozens of THRers, including a couple moderators, took the time to reply, and since it hasn't been locked yet I'm assuming it's remained on topic.

Is it silly? Of course it is. But, you can tell that by the title. No trickery, no deception, no deceit. When the title of the thread mentions "zombies", you KNOW it's not going to be a timely, relevant discussion of real world issues and concerns. You won't be opening the thread and gasping, "I've been deceived! I thought that this thread about zombies was going to be a timely and relevant discussion of real world issues and concerns! It's all been a clever ruse! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-09-07&res=l)"

To date, I've made some 700 or so serious posts and one goofball one. Pretty fair ratio, to my mind.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're actually gun related, I don't see a problem. Unless it gets out of hand, but I'm sure the moderators will deal with it if it does (and if it does, let us know too, we do want to play ball here).

dude
April 23, 2003, 07:22 PM
...........why is this totally non-firearm related and site bashing thread still open??

(not to mention whine-y!!!)

556A2
April 23, 2003, 07:56 PM
I voted to lets keep them. I mean, for the most part they can be plain goofy, but its all in good fun and is still related to firearms. Plus the SHTF senarios COULD THEORETICALLY happen, in theory. Just my 2 pennies. :)

El Rojo
April 23, 2003, 08:00 PM
Another I don't care vote because of the obvious reply, "If you don't like them, don't read them." There are plenty of serious threads on here, why not have a few light hearted threads?

jsalcedo
April 23, 2003, 08:05 PM
I ignore the subject lines that do not interest me.

Its just a phase that will pass.

Why make a mountain out of a mole hill?

SodaPop
April 23, 2003, 08:21 PM
jsalcedo-That's the funniest signature I've read in months.:D

sm
April 23, 2003, 08:37 PM
jsalcedo- I'm with SodaPop

That sig line, origin? If not already, it needs to be picked up and used on mugs ,T shirts, mousepads....

jsalcedo
April 23, 2003, 08:43 PM
I got it from goodquotes.com

Had to read about a thousand quotes to get the Clinton one but I think it was worth it.

HankL
April 23, 2003, 08:49 PM
This site is a brand spanking new baby and in it's very early growing stages. Some of you try to compare THR with TFL and you can but you must look at TFL as it was in 1998. Go back and look, the sites owner, Rich Lucibella was literally bribing his staff, in servitude, to bring in new members who would agree to his rules of conduct on the forum. Many an OT post can be found in the early postings at the site that was once The Premiere Gun Forum in this particular world. It was a long time before OT post became a problem over there and it will become a problem here.
There was one sorry little cornered rat over there that was pretty annoying at first but he came around. The youngsters here will come around in time.

Take to the high road, help to keep the forum on it's intended track by moderating yourself. There are people here that are young, curious and wanting to join in which is a good thing. There are also people here that are older and have "been there, done that" who are willing to share their knowledge with others.
It's up to you to figure out if you are reading the post of a neophite or a a person who knows of what he speaks. Take all with a grain of salt.

;)

This thread is very On Topic as it falls under the Civil Liberties definition because we are discussing what we can and can't do on Mr. Volk's web site. He is our host here and a kind and gentle one as compaired to Vlad The Impaler and his cohorts who ran TFL with the iron hand.

Sorry for the long post, Off my soap box now.

Best To All

Hank

sm
April 23, 2003, 08:50 PM
Sorry OT again

jsalcedo, thanks. I think it needs to be used as I stated before.

cool45auto
April 23, 2003, 09:04 PM
I went with "don't care". You can tell by the title if you need to click on it or not. At least the other threads were gun-related.:rolleyes:

NapAttack
April 23, 2003, 09:05 PM
I think SilverBullet hit it. Theoretically, anything could happen. We could be invaded by killer zombies from outer space tomorrow. Any or all of the SHTF scenarios could happen. Literally anything could happen. Sometimes it's fun to let our imaginations run a little. I read the threads that interest me and skip the ones that don't.

Let's get serious for a minute. I read THR for entertainment. Does anyone honestly equip themselves or make serious decisions about firearms based on advice from faceless people they've never met and don't know their bonafides?

I have been wondering about threads being closed. Quite often I encounter a thread that seems interesting and find it closed only to wonder why? It doesn't seem to violate the rules of THR. Other times I see threads that seem to be completely off the wall that are allowed to run. Often it seems that the moderators are capricious in which threads are left open and which are closed. But hey, it's not my board so it's up to the owners of this board to decide how it's run, not me.

Since a number of people don't seem to like the humor of some members, why don't you get together and define what you consider humorous and will be allowed and convince the owners of THR to institute rules that will be palatable to you. Otherwise, just get it through your heads that this is America, with a lot of different people with different opinions and believe it or not, different senses of humor and quit griping. You don't like a thread, skip it. No one is forcing you to read or even come here if you don't want to.

SodaPop
April 23, 2003, 09:27 PM
. No one is forcing you to read or even come here if you don't want to.

I remember reading floats by Moderators at TFL every couple months about the types of threads being posted. Some people only posted threads and never actually get in on the conversations. The L&P and GD forums just turned into bulletin boards. This isn't our bandwith, its someone elses. Use it sparingly. Remember all the upgrades we needed at TFL??

There are people here that are young, curious and wanting to join in which is a good thing. There are also people here that are older and have "been there, done that" who are willing to share their knowledge with others.

I think you just narrowed it down.;)

damn kids:D

pax
April 23, 2003, 10:29 PM
Sniping, whining, close to flames -- and not On Topic, either.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "THR going down the drain..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!