Bipod mount for a shotgun

PDA

slk1460
April 25, 2006, 03:24 PM
If anyone could help me on this - I would really appreciate it. About a year ago, I purchased a specialy bipod mount for my son's Remington model 870 express Junior 20 gauge. I originally saw this on a hunting show and then was able to find the product online. Now, my youngest son is ready to hunt and 2 kids but only 1 gun just doesn't work. I am having a horrible time trying to find this mounting bracket again to purchase for the second 20 gauge. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bipod mount for a shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DevLcL
April 25, 2006, 03:40 PM
Look, forget the bipod. If they can't lift a shotgun then they are too young or too weak. If they plenty old then they just need some excercise. It's not a good idea anyway to teach young shooters that they can just slap some silly accessory on anything they want. I've never even heard of a bipod on a shotgun, nor would I ever try it. Don't take this as an insult, but rather, good advice.

-Dev

waterhouse
April 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure in what way you are using the bipod, so I don't know if this will help, but if you can't find what you are looking for you might be able to use shooting sticks (Stoney Point and others make them.)

kmrcstintn
April 25, 2006, 05:11 PM
I am responding with the idea that the lads are shooting from a stationary position as in turkey hunting or using a slug gun for deer, bear, or feral pig.

I'm not sure how effective mounting a bipod would be and not sure about the system you are describing. I am offering another suggestion that would have the same effect for stabilization that would not require the mounting of a bipod.

I offer that a telescopic unipod would offer temporary stabilization for the above stated hunting scenarios. They are sold different places for differnet prices. I bought one at Walmart for under $10. Other sporting goods retailers offer better constructed ones that cost more and will last longer.

One reader described shooting sticks which are attached and open up in an "x: shape to place the gun in. This is a good alternative also.

I hope this helps. I know it is not adirect answer to your inquiry, but this is what I can offer.

slk1460
April 25, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well, I guess that I will have to respectively disagree with you. My husband and I grew up in the woods and certainly won't regret passing that tradition on to our boys. Both of them enjoy their time out there and are very good marksmen - especially for their age. That being said, our children have the benefit of two parents who are avid sportsmen. We've never pushed our hobbies or beliefs onto our children - but have been happy to include them for as much as they want to be involved in. They enjoy it - we enjoy it and safety is always of our utmost concern. For us, spending time in the woods just to go for a walk, to shed hunt, to scout, or to hunt for animals is always quality time together. In my opinion it beats sitting in front of the TV with your kids or worse yet, not spending time with them at all. Most people that I know in the industry / sport are eager to include the younger generation and enjoy passing their knowledge and experience on to them. I may be new to this web site - but I'm not new to the sport of hunting. Again, I appreciate you opinion, but will again respectively disagree with you and also state that I didn't request your opinion on how to raise my sons but rather had hoped for some input on a bipod adapter. Thank you.

slk1460
April 25, 2006, 05:24 PM
Thank you to Waterhouse & Kmrcstintn for your responses. I did purchase a set of shooting sticks for temporary use that will work for now. You are correct - the bipod is for stationary hunting (specifically turkey and deer). The adapter clip that I was able to find last year worked great on the gun we are using now. It is very simple and attaches to the end of the magazine barrel - but not to the shooting barrel. Onto that you then attach the bipod. This setup keeps it from interferring with the pump action. It is the same type of bipod that I use for my varment rifles, but this shotgun setup works great for younger hunters. I'll keep on with my search!

Brian Williams
April 25, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hi, Welcome to THR.

Look at Harris Bipods that attach to a swivel stdu and get a magtube band stud attachment, should work???

ArmedBear
April 25, 2006, 05:30 PM
Interesting response, slk1460. You're not among anti-hunters here; no need to be too defensive.:rolleyes:

Good luck with the bipod. It sounds like you're an outdoor family. That's very cool. You do need to understand, however, that given no other background, it's easy to make assumptions about the question.

Far too many shooters seem to spend a lot of time here:

http://www.cockeyed.com/pranks/pie/pie11.jpg

but no time here:

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Biceps/DBCurl.gif

Since there are people I shoot with who can no longer hunt, and/or are facing imminent death, due to a sedentary lifestyle (other than hunting) and self-destructive eating habits, my reaction was similar. I HATE to see these guys dying when they should be out hunting. Some great people. It brings tears to my eyes sometimes, man. Really. And then there are the old geezers who can jog up mountains. They inspire me.

So, when I see young shooters who are lazy and fat, or who learn that a gun is a handy substitute for middling physical fitness and that "hunting" happens mostly from an ATV, I, too have that knee-jerk reaction.

Again, it's good to hear you're not in that category, but no one here had any way to know that from your 1 post.

Good hunting!

kmrcstintn
April 25, 2006, 09:09 PM
I think I found something for you: Numrich Gun Parts had a listing for a bipod adapter mount to fit Remington 870's and 1100's. I hope this link works (if not I used Dogpile search engine and entered "shotgun bipod adapter mount"):

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=884030&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Good Luck!

riverdog
April 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
From kmrcstintn's link:
Remington 870/1100 Adapter - Replaces the Factory Magazine Cap and Does Not Alter the Magazine Capacity.
Model:
Item No. 884030
Retail Price: $28.30 Interesting. Whoda thunk they made a bipod adaptor specifically for 870's.

DevLcL
April 26, 2006, 05:08 AM
Not me. If I went to the gun shop and asked for a shotgun bipod I'm not sure when they would stop laughing.

kmrcstintn
April 26, 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry that not everyone can see the inherent advantage of having a stabile platform to shoot from when a steady precise shot needs to be taken as in shooting turkey or deer as the originator of the thread stated. For the person who posted against the use of a bipod I offer this thought:

Since you don't feel as though a bipod or other frontal stabilizing platform
is necessary for precision shooting with a shotgun, the next time you go to
the range to pattern your shotgun or better yet sight in your slug gun for
deer at 100 yards, leave your sandbags or whatever else you use for a
benchrest at home. Pattern or sight in from an unsupported and offhand
position while standing and then you'll realize how hard it is to shoot at a
stationary target that does not require shooting while moving or leading.

Just as shooters utilize a benchrest to pattern/sight in or utilize their leg, a branch, a backpack, or other stabilizization platform to take a shot in the wild, this father just came up with another way for his kids to steady their shots. In this case a bipod mount that offers rock solid frontal stability.

There is more than one way to achieve a desired outcome. I applaud him for his creativity since he has me thinking on how to stabilize my slug gun for this coming season. I have a protable unipod that isn't the greatest for me and now I'm thinking about getting a portable zytel bipod that I can clamp on the front part of the magazine tube on my Mossberg 500 ahead of where the forearm sits. It will offer stability if a seated shot becomes possible and I can quickly remove the bipod when not needed. Thanks for the idea.

-C4-
April 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
Look at the Harris Bipod adapter #4. It is a clamp mount and will fit diameters between .550 and .812. Part number from harris is HB4. I have seen a few others like this (clamp bipod adapters that is).

-C4-

Dr.Rob
April 26, 2006, 05:01 PM
I get funny looks for having a GI leather sling on my shotgun... it's the only sling I had forever. Doesn't mean I'd make a 'hasty sling' with a pump shotgun, but I could.

The sling attaches to the magazine cap, and that 'nipple' could indeed mount a bi-pod for turkey/slug use.

Don't see why not.

riverdog
April 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
slk1460 asked a fairly straightforward equipment question. She wasn't asking for our thoughts on if she should mount a bipod, only about where to buy a second bipod which she obviously liked.

I wouldn't mount a bipod on any of my 870's but the question wasn't about me or my preferences, and my opinions on the use of a bipod on any shotgun would irrelevant. Usually if you don't have anything relevant to contribute it's best to say nothing.

Dr.Rob
April 26, 2006, 05:21 PM
Harris and B-sqaure both make bipods that hook to a sling swivel stud, in the case of a shotgun with an underbarrel tube magazine, this means the attaching point is NOT affecting the barrel harmonics for a long range shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bipod mount for a shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!