The High Road or The Firing Line?

PDA

Matt King
April 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
Which do you think is a better site? Personally I love both of them:) , But I am just wondering which you think is better.

If you enjoyed reading about "The High Road or The Firing Line?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dan M.
April 25, 2006, 06:21 PM
It may be my imagination (both sites are so similar), but I think there is more of an "I'm ready to shoot anybody anytime" attitude at TFL, at least currently. It's not prevalent, just seems more evident than it does here. And Mas Ayoob posts more often here. Then again, some folks might take that as a negative. Not me. There are great mods at both sites. I like both and check both of them regularly.

rbernie
April 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
The forums that I haunt here certainly seems to be frequented by more technically savvy gunowners than can be said for other sites. <shrug> Spending time at TFL makes my head hurt, most times these days...

GTSteve03
April 25, 2006, 06:26 PM
I'd say they're both head and shoulders above a certain Talk forum about a certain Austrian pistol that starts with a G... :evil:

sm
April 25, 2006, 06:27 PM
For new folks, I suggest you read a bit on both sites...you might just find some of the same folks, same staff, and not necessarily using the same usernames. :D

I like it when the same moderator is bashed on one site, praised on the other by the same member...:p

Me...I've been enjoying the view from a porch and reading some law files written by a critter from the Lone Star State...*snort*

Stiletto Null
April 25, 2006, 06:43 PM
Well, I haven't checked in at The Firing Line in a while. THR seems to be more highbrow.

I have THR and TFL for my general gun-only discussion, The Other Side for my more social discussion (although there's also an impressive amount of arcane knowledge over there) or for probing new subjects, and Surplusrifle for specific milsurp issues.

Black Majik
April 25, 2006, 07:07 PM
I just like the colors of THR better, the Firingline hurts my eyes. :D

Eleven Mike
April 25, 2006, 07:18 PM
You can customize the display here, perhaps you can there.

cosine
April 25, 2006, 07:20 PM
Both sites are great, and I'm registered at both sites with the same username, but for some reason I gravitate more readily to THR. I usually check TFL once or twice a week, while I usually check THR several times per day.

Byron
April 25, 2006, 07:38 PM
I am a member of both and frequented both. One thread I was on at TFL was closed by the moderator because he did not like it. It was not obscene or rude but several did come to the point in challenging one who seemed to be an "expert" but never establish his credibility.I did not care for the censureship and have not been back. Byron

Larry Ashcraft
April 25, 2006, 07:58 PM
I joined TFL in 2001 but always felt like the outsider, the new guy. When Oleg opened this site I immediately joined (member #145) and decided to be active and one of the "group".

I still visit TFL a couple times a day, but consider THR my home.

hso
April 25, 2006, 08:01 PM
For you noobs, the sites each came from the other and respect each other very much. TFL got to the point where everything that was worth saying had been said 3 times over. The operator decided to close the forum and leave the library open for folks to use as a reference resource. While that was a great service to the gunowning community it left a bunch of folks without a favorite hang out and with the AWB still stinging there were enough folks wanting another place to meet and talk about RKBA and guns. Oleg and Derek were more than kind enough to open this "home for wayward gun nuts" and gave the people in the gun community that were interested in a civil place to meet a hangout. Eventually TFL opened it's "doors" again and now we've got the two finest online firearms forums in the world available for folks to participate in!

The huge influx of new members at THR lately, note the first 2 posters are April join dates, have brought tons of folks in from the hinterlands. As such we have a lot of new folks that have only been here a couple of weeks or months and are still feeling their way around the party and haven't learned that the "kill'em all" approach is equivalent to adolescence on THR and TFL. Eventually they'll realize it's not what folks here believe and will either stay stuck in childhood or mesh with the community and be great contributing members.

NineseveN
April 25, 2006, 08:07 PM
Both THR and TFL are great places to discuss firearms, tactics and the like, but I personally consider THR my home away from home (because my forums are my home of course ;) )

Mulliga
April 25, 2006, 08:08 PM
hso said it best. We don't do forum wars here. ;)

1911JMB
April 25, 2006, 08:16 PM
TFL seems more thread lock happy. Just the same, TFL and THR are great sites that shooters should be greatful for. These sites are free, and can provide far more info than an extensive magazine collection at a moments notice. I don't think we have room to complain on this one.

sm
April 25, 2006, 08:27 PM
hso said it best. We don't do forum wars here.

hso, no offense my friend, but I didn't trip over the pull cord on the Skeet field just yesterday you know. ;)

Yes we have forum wars. A little known fact that Rich, Oleg, and other Forums did not think I knew about...but I do. I may not be smart, don't mean I am stupid. I have stated I work at reading my surroundings, paying attention, being aware...

There exists a Competition between Forums, gets kind of heated, razzing, serious bragging rights...

Who can spot Gunkid's newest alias the fastest and boot off the board the quickest.

Sub-Catagory for the Admin, Staff, or Mod indvidual of respective board that does this.

Last I recall Rich had to send Oleg Shiner Bock, Justin got a big bag of Wasebi Peas.

Didn't think I knew about that either - did you? Ha!

:D :D

Other than that minor War, none b/t forums.

What do I win for noticing this? :p

See I are smart ain't I ?

SouthpawShootr
April 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
I prefer THR. I might visit TFL a few times a week, but that only when nothing I see interests me on THR. I think TFL is still suffering from afteraffects of their long shutdown and absence from from the gunboard scene. Traffic seems to be picking up over there but I doubt it's even close to this one. Both useful resources IMO.

Henry Bowman
April 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm not really a "feelings" kind of guy, bu I feel more at home here.

MillCreek
April 25, 2006, 08:42 PM
I like both of them, have learned a great deal on both forums, and like to think that in some small way, I have contributed to the intelligent discourse on both forums.

PinnedAndRecessed
April 25, 2006, 08:49 PM
They're both useful, at times.

They also both attract a certain immature attention seeking audience. THR more than the other, I think. (No names, please.)

I don't like the political/immoral thrust of either, at times, however.

But they also both host some genuine gun experts.

And, yes, both forums sometimes practice too much censorship. Also, at times, not enough censorship.

NineseveN
April 25, 2006, 08:49 PM
Who can spot Gunkid's newest alias the fastest and boot off the board the quickest.

Hehe, I think he might be back on my forum soon....:banghead:

R.W.Dale
April 25, 2006, 09:05 PM
Gunboards.com :evil:

gbran
April 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
I feel more at home here.

hso
April 25, 2006, 09:16 PM
Tracking down Gunkid in his endless mutations isn't a competition. It's a service to mankind with 2 cyber civic communities working furiously to end the species once and for all!:scrutiny:

Bigreno
April 25, 2006, 09:20 PM
Both are great boards. I am a member on both. However the filtering software at work won't allow me to view TFL so most of my time is spent here.

...that's right. The computers at the Sheriff's Dept. can't access sites having to do with (guns/bombs/explosives). God, I love this place.:banghead:

sm
April 25, 2006, 09:36 PM
hso, how well I know...

Seriously, I started with TFL, came here to THR when TFL closed as so many of us did.

Even with TFL closed, I used it a LOT for research, for searches, provided links to post here on THR.

One will note THR still has links to TFL stickied at the top of various forums.

Since TFL re-opened, I have continued to use TFL. We no longer have some members now passed, there is a gold mine of GREAT informative posts these folks posted, and Rich , oh I am so grateful Rich these great posts of great folks are still accessible. Thank You Sir!

TFL has some members we do not, some are posting great information, time does not allow them to post both places. Add, well, not their job to spoon feed you, you are supposed to think for yourself, do the best you can...then ask questions to find something. We don't mind helping folks that have honestly tried to search for something.

Both forums get a bit tired of :

1) Behavior elsewhere tolerated - Low road - and wanting THR/TFL to lower their standards... not going to happen. Either grow up, leave, or start your own forum.
2) Read, Read, and Read to get a feel of how our communities work. Use the Search function. WE have a LOT of information over the same frequently asked questions.
3)TTPO (look it up)
4) Go read Rich's sig line at TFL.
5) If you have a beef with anyone, take it PM. Includes Staff, Admin, Mods...even Oleg.

Both forums are going to continue to raise the bar, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Just recently another member and I were trying to recall some information, we could not recall which forum. WE each took a forum and did searches. I even PM-ed someone and asked if they recalled, or were we spelling it wrong.
Changed Spelling and we found it.

Ala Dan
April 25, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well, I'm just old Ala Dan on both sites, with well over 5,000 posts
on both.:uhoh: Do you think I like 'em, or what~?:D

Soybomb
April 25, 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm at both but theres a definate difference in the atmosphere between the two. The highroad seems noticeably more highroad ;) and I post here more.

gulogulo1970
April 25, 2006, 10:04 PM
I was lurking over at TFL right before it closed, well I felt betrayed, that it closed before I could join up. I found THR a while after and haven't left. I visit TFL some, I'm a member but I don't like it as much.

Cosmoline
April 25, 2006, 10:09 PM
THR
http://yhspatriot.yorktown.arlington.k12.va.us/~tlenihan/HistoryClub_files/image002.jpg

TFL
http://www.dancingmountain.ca/greece/Leonidas1a.jpg

Certain other forums:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/bobhope/images/vcvg20.jpg

Lars
April 25, 2006, 10:30 PM
Shoot, I didn't even know that TFL was active again.:confused:

Guns_and_Labs
April 25, 2006, 10:47 PM
What's TFL again?

RugerSAFan
April 25, 2006, 10:49 PM
A member of the Firing Line since 04-21-01.
Haven't posted in 4+ years.

The attitude seems a little more genteel at THR. I read a couple of posts at TFL tonight, but stopped after frustration with silly things like members not taking the time to even write out their messages. Accronyms and shortcuts may be appropriate with short messages on a blackberry....

stevelyn
April 25, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm on both under the same user name, as well as others that interest me. I like both and give each equal time.

I have to admit that there is a difference in atmosphere between the two although I can't put it into words, but my homey Cosmoline:D did an excellent job of explaining it in pictures.:evil: :D

roscoe
April 26, 2006, 12:36 AM
TFL is, like, totally prettier, but THR totally has a better personality.

ingram
April 26, 2006, 01:10 AM
I used to like TFL better.....

Untill I got IP banned.

Eleven Mike
April 26, 2006, 01:13 AM
TFL is, like, totally prettier, but THR totally has a better personality.If you mean that the TFL pages look better, then I disagree; I think they're ugly.

sturmruger
April 26, 2006, 01:16 AM
There is not enough time in the day to read all the forums I am a member of.

I generally hang out here on THR then XDtalk, and finally Brian Enos. THR will always be my favorite.

NineseveN
April 26, 2006, 01:18 AM
Tracking down Gunkid in his endless mutations isn't a competition. It's a service to mankind with 2 cyber civic communities working furiously to end the species once and for all!

Well, I just banned him from my forums, so I should maybe get a cookie? :D

marklbucla
April 26, 2006, 01:25 AM
I think that Cosmoline pretty much has it covered.

I like the overall philosophy of The High Road much better.

silicon wolverine
April 26, 2006, 02:18 AM
Perhaps it should be named "the firing squad" instead of "the firing line". I posted something over there about no liking ARs and got BAR-B-Q'd

SW

Twycross
April 26, 2006, 02:39 AM
I like both. I started at TFL, and then found THR later. I used to spend almost no time here at THR, but nowadays it's about equally split. TFL is just becoming a little less high-roadish, IMHO.

Kamicosmos
April 26, 2006, 04:40 AM
I started at TFL, and came here on day 1 or 2. I used TFL as a reference resource, and when it reopened, I was still in the habit of it being 'read-only'. I've made a few posts since it's reopened, but not many. I have more 'friends' here that I look forward to reading daily. I do spend more time here though, then I do at any other forum on the web.

DunedinDragon
April 26, 2006, 06:49 AM
I'm a member of both and frequent both daily.

My impression is THR tends to have more active political and legal discussions than any other gun boards. I think THR also has a bit more technical info exchange, but that's probably due more to the size of it's user base than anything else. I can't say that technical info exchange is any more accurate than the others though.

The only advantage I give to TFR is that it's a bit more friendly to newcomers due to it's smaller user base than THR. Personally my favorite board is SigForum simply because it's the smallest and tends to be oriented more toward my specific gun interests. I come to THR primarily for the political/general discussions.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 26, 2006, 11:42 AM
THR owes its existence and its standards to TFL. The original membership of TFL basically started this site when TFL closed its doors. The only significant difference is that THR expanded the discussion in L&P to consider all civil liberties related issues instead of the more narrow view taken by TFL that focused primarily on RKBA.

Personally, I still visit and enjoy both sites though I have less time for TFL then I used to; so it doesn't get as much attention as I would like. I',m surprised to see some suggesting that THR is any better on genteel discussion since we have a big crossover in both mods and members.

I am sure both boards are having growing pains in that regard. In either case, the mods can only do so much to help establish the environment. It is really up to the members to set the tone, to teach new members by example and to bring in the mods when somebody repeatedly misses the clue.

Daniel T
April 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
Well, it's pretty easy, as TFL is blocked at work, yet THR isn't.

Sigh.

JohnBT
April 26, 2006, 04:19 PM
"The High Road or The Firing Line?"

Yes.

chetrogers
April 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
I read both but only post here.Seems like here you can disagree with somebody on an adult level and not get flamed for it.I have never been told i was wrong here or that what I was asking was stupid but there i think i would.But thats just what i feel because i have never posted there...I will stick with THR :)

Lebben-B
April 26, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'm a member of both and all things being equal, prefer THR. There's too much of a, "When someone breaks into my house what do you think I should use - the shotgun or the MP5...I mean, the shotty's probably more effective, but the MP5 is sexier..." attitude over there. Also, when someone disagrees with a poster here, the reply is usually phrased, "I disagree with you and this is why." versus "I disagree with you and you're a moron for thinking that way." A much more civil, but no less passionate group is to be found here.

Mike

whipper
April 26, 2006, 05:21 PM
I tried to join TFL but never received activation link in E-Mail. Tried to contact the host several times and never received anything back. Found this sit from the TFL and been here ever since. There are lots of nice people and good behavior amongst every body here. :) ... I like this place. :) ...I’m not going anywhere else and you can’t make me either! you can try ;):neener:

Mal H
April 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
whipper - If you want to try again, I have sent the activation email to you from TFL. Your email there is the same as it is here, so the address itself shouldn't have been the problem. Let me know via PM if you don't receive it.

Heraclid
April 26, 2006, 07:39 PM
TFL has been a little better source for a newb like me to dredge up information. I do not think this has been for any other reason than that they have just had more discussion of what I in particular have been looking for. This site is also excellent. I habitually check both and some times spend more time reading here than there too. I find both sites to be very civilized, and TFL is just fine in that regard if you ask me, but then that's coming from someone who has seen some from way on the other end of the spectrum. I will say that THR may be a little better in that regard, though. I would like to add that on both sites I am mightily impressed - I have found the members of each to be above par.

blacksuit
April 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
This is the top gun forum IMO. It feels like home and there doesn't seems to be as many jackasses here...lol

Shawn

Lennyjoe
April 26, 2006, 11:12 PM
Born and raised TFL but when they closed the doors I moved here and have been happy since. Seldomly ever go to TFL anymore.

1 old 0311
April 27, 2006, 06:22 AM
TFL is the site for mall ninjas.

Kevin

Razor
April 27, 2006, 06:34 AM
Born and raised TFL but when they closed the doors I moved here and have been happy since. Seldomly ever go to TFL anymore.

Same here.

Graystar
April 27, 2006, 06:37 AM
THR owes its existence and its standards to TFL. The original membership of TFL basically started this site when TFL closed its doors.
That pretty much says it all. That's certainly how I found THR. Back then THR membership paled in comparison to TFL. But now THR has more active members, and that contributes to a more active forum.

But the thing that makes the biggest difference for me is the THR’s “high road” philosophy and moderator commitment to keeping things civil. I think that gives the forum a nice overall “feel” that I like.

Spiphel Rike
April 27, 2006, 09:07 AM
"But the thing that makes the biggest difference for me is the THR’s “high road” philosophy and moderator commitment to keeping things civil. I think that gives the forum a nice overall “feel” that I like."

Makes it a bit easier for the uninformed to settle in to. Much better place to send them than GD on arfcom :barf:

John G
April 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
THR is the primary, TFL is the backup. I use both when performing a search.

Stiletto Null
April 27, 2006, 10:22 AM
I actually send newbies to The Other Side (http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/forums) first. We're a pretty chatty bunch, lots of good info and a good bit of casualness thrown in.

Mannlicher
April 27, 2006, 12:13 PM
I don't have a preference for one over the other. I was on TFL for a long time before THR started, and I was one of the first here.
Both forums seem to cater to folks who either A. don't know beans about guns and shooting, or B. Pontificate and present a 'holier than thou' attitude when posting replys. There are a lot of posts on both forums that seem to have been initiated just so the poster can see his name in print. The endless "which is better" threads, and the whacky 'scenerio' threads get tiresome on both fourms.
Having said that though, I like hanging out in these gun friendly forums. I learn a lot, and I have met some really nice folks.
I appreciate the time, money, and effort both Rich and Oleg have put into these venues.

gitarmac
April 29, 2006, 03:03 AM
I really loved tfl, then it closed. I recently found out that it had opened again and went to visit. It didn't seem to get a lot of action and some threads were locked and I couldn't figure out why.

I just discovered this one a few months ago, It reminds me of what tfl used to be.

I also like glocktalk and ar15.com. ar15.com gets more traffic than any board I go to, no matter what the topic. Have a drywall question - post it on ar15 and it will get answered in a matter of seconds. Refridgerators, cars, aquariums, dogs that eat toys, music, home repair, property lines, what not to do with a fish, circumcisions, poop, all get answered in a matter of seconds. Of course you may not like the answer but that's the price you pay. It's not the place to go if you are sensitive or thin skinned. I don't have much of a life with the hours I work so it's my main source of entertainment. I like that there are a variety of boards I can go to, according to my mood.

I don't even have an ar15.

CajunBass
April 29, 2006, 03:40 AM
I wasn't aware there was supposed to be any difference in the two. I've never noticed it, other than a few different people.

I read a lot of gun forums. I post on several. Some of the people are intelligent and agree with me. :D Others I'm not too sure about. :neener: I'm sure a lot of people think the same about me. :what:

Either way, I'm too old and lazy to argue for very long. After all, this is just the internet. It ain't real.

(Actually this little guy :what: is one thing I really like about THR.)

tegemu
April 29, 2006, 09:24 AM
I used to like the both of them about equally but since The High Road. on my computer, is often maddeningly slow, it is falling out of favor with me. When it is super slow I just get out of it and go elsewhere.

jimpeel
May 15, 2006, 01:02 AM
Haven't been able to get on TFL for the last couple of days.

Wassup? Anyone know?

choochboost
May 15, 2006, 02:59 AM
I have regarded both sites highly and always preferred TFL, but now I prefer THR. Seems to be more action on THR lately and better threads as well.

I tried to join TFL but never received activation link in E-Mail. Tried to contact the host several times and never received anything back.
Check your bulk mail folder. It gets me every time.:confused:

22-rimfire
May 15, 2006, 08:49 AM
I find myself coming to THR more than the Firing Line. I float back and forth. Not very much into the AR stuff, but the more I read, the more I am leaning toward buying one. That is what makes the sites interesting. Different ideas and priorities. I like the 24hr Campfire Forum quite a bit for hunting topics, Sixgunner for revolvers, and the Colt Forum for Colts specifically. Now you know where I post.

buzz_knox
May 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
TFL and THR are pretty much the same. People who prefer THR will find excuses for their preferences. Ask the same question at TFL, and you'll find them doing the same, probably with a modification of excuses to include "too uptight other places for me." If you get above the preferences, you start seeing the same questions, problems, attributes, benefits, BS, etc. on both.

Lone_Gunman
May 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
I have pretty much stopped going to TFL, unless I am looking for some technical answer that can't get answered at THR (a rare event).

My main reason for stopping going to TFL relates to Hurricane Katrina. The owner of TFL was emphatic that guns were not being confiscated there, and that the threads pertaining to that were just internet rumor and lies. Those threads were immediately closed, even as consfiscation was occurring. Even in the face of video evidence, gun confiscation threads were closed. I have never understood that.

Pilot
May 15, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm another Dec 2002 refuge from TFL. I spend a lot more time here than there but TFL is still a good resource. I don't get into the politics at any web site.

stratus
May 15, 2006, 09:22 AM
It never occurred to me to pick one over the other; as a rule, TFL is where I post and THR is where I lurk, but um, I go through phases, I'll look up in a month and have 1000 posts here or something.

atlctyslkr
May 15, 2006, 10:04 AM
TFL seems to always be down. Also the moderators are quick to close a thread instead of letting it die naturally. If a thread is getting alot of traffic then it might be worth letting it ride instead of shutting it based on the oppinions of a few. I think a thread should stay unless it is threatening or demeaning.

CAS700850
May 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
When i started posting here at THR, I was accepted without question or hesitation. After a short while, I found that my opinions were valued, even though I was a damned prosecutor out to violate people's civil rights. :neener:

I frankly never saw the need to go anyplace else, so I haven't.

Robert J McElwain
May 15, 2006, 10:14 AM
I like both, but prefer High Road because it let's me read and write in larger font. That's important for some of us who can remember Pearl Harbor.:eek:

Bob

Vitamin G
May 15, 2006, 10:54 AM
I surf THR more because there's nothing obviously firearms related in the title, and i work alot.
I surf TFL more at home... well... because i already surfed THR all day...

flashman70
May 15, 2006, 12:23 PM
I think TFL's server is down today.

Limeyfellow
May 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
I tend to limit TFL to the rifle forum and rarely one of the others. It tends to have a higher percentage of tacticool mallninja type people there for some reason, or that just could be my impressions.

Leif
May 15, 2006, 12:56 PM
I don't know, Limeyfellow, I seem to see plenty of those types at both. Like Godwin's law regarding internet discussion boards and Nazis, I think anything involving firearms on a publicly accessible internet board is going to attract a fair number of the tactikewl crowd - nature of the beast, it seems. Maybe we could call it Leif's law! :D

I find both useful, but have spent more of my time at TFL simply because I found it first.

TFL still is down.

tinner man
May 15, 2006, 01:19 PM
I just bought a book about Pearl Harbor, very interesting.

It is called "Pearl Harbor" By H.P. WILLMOTT.

The Firing Line seems to have been down all weekend.

:what:

choochboost
May 15, 2006, 02:19 PM
Also the moderators are quick to close a thread instead of letting it die naturally. If a thread is getting alot of traffic then it might be worth letting it ride instead of shutting it based on the oppinions of a few. I think a thread should stay unless it is threatening or demeaning.
I couldn't agree more. That is really annoying.

steveracer
May 15, 2006, 02:32 PM
...information about guns and politics. I go to TFL to make sure I'm still normal enough to get up and put on my uniform.
You want childish crap with lousy moderation at best? Go to arcom.

Avizpls
May 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
I was browsing because of TFL being down.

The second third and fifth posts made me decide to register here. I agree that the attitude there has drifted towards...well, I cant put my finger on it, but I think you understand.

I hate starting at zero again. can someone just add a few thousand posts to my profile?

Kurush
May 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
The way I see it TFL's more forgiving clearances allow for higher reliability in dusty and muddy environments. THR's direct gas impingement system may allow for higher accuracy, but TFL can shoot "minute of bad guy" at likely urban engagement ranges. As far as terminal effects, a TFL might expand but a THR won't shrink. Sure, TFL has a partially unsupported chamber and is made of plastic, but its lighter weight is a big bonus and it has proven reliability. Buy one of each!

boofus
May 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
9mm

no! .45

Barr
May 15, 2006, 03:57 PM
I cannot say which forum is the best because both are good in their respective rights. I do however find myself spend more and more time and THR than TFL nowadays.

TFL seems to have more flareups and conflicts over some petty things. The Moderators are also more active over there.

THR is very active and has many of the same topics with many of the same users. There are still a few flareups and conflicts but usually are resolved before moderators become involved. The Handloading and Reloading forum over here seems to be much more active and have more participationthan at TFL. This area has been my latest concentration of interest because I am getting more entrenched in reloading. I am always trolling for new ideas and suggestions.

Boats
May 15, 2006, 05:23 PM
TFL and THR are the only two firearms boards I bother to bookmark. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I guess the real proof of value to me is in my relative post counts, running about 10:1 for THR, not that I say that to disparage TFL. It is just that I really only go to TFL when THR is bogged down or offline altogether.

OuTcAsT
May 15, 2006, 07:28 PM
I've been at TFL for a few months, decided to come over here and check it out, looks like I'll be bookmarking THR:)

lamazza
May 15, 2006, 08:09 PM
I wish they would impose the "post state in title" rule at TFL

Al Norris
May 15, 2006, 08:56 PM
TFL or THR... Hmm... Which one to choose? They are both excellent forums.

TFL will appeal to some while THR will appeals to others. While the styles are similar, they do diverge - despite the fact that several moderators are part of both forums. That is to be expected, as the overall leadership (Oleg and Rich) are not completely of the same mindset.

This doesn't mean that one is better (or worse) than the other. Just that there is a slight difference. It is perhaps because this difference is slight, that it is magnified in the minds of the individual members.

I am on both forums and will continue to be on both forums. I find the differences enriching... It's why I continue to be a member of both forums.

Leif
May 15, 2006, 09:09 PM
lamazza, that's not a bad idea. You should suggest that to them when it's back online.

sm
May 15, 2006, 09:11 PM
Al Norris,

Very well stated and I agree.

I started with TFL , when TFL closed for a bit, I continued to use TFL as a resource...always will.

Oleg started THR and I became a plankowner.

Then again I have always have and continue to participate in THR and TFL in non public viewed posts, [PMs, emails, letters, telephone, in person...]

Mr. Norris - been awhile, - hope all is well with you sir.

Steve

joneb
May 15, 2006, 09:42 PM
The BIG difference I have noticed is "The High Road" has way cooler smilies :neener: to you TFL . I came here snooping to see if the TFL server was down and it is :) I'm always wondering when I can't log on to TFL that I have been axed that seems to be a popular threat there :scrutiny: You never know when you will be joining "The firerd Line" :(

ShootingEnthusiatist
May 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
I enjoy exchanging info and ideas with other members here on THR. I started out at PDO, but after multiple connection problems, I decided to look around and see what else was available. My hat's off to the folks that run this website.

Al Norris
May 15, 2006, 11:02 PM
Steve, I'm fine.

Planted my mother's ashes at my Dad's gravesite yesterday (she died last Nov.), down in Salt Lake City. Didn't know TFL was down until I came back, late last night. Good story, perhaps I'll tell it sometime.

Whadaya mean, "been awhile?" You know me over there... I'm Antipitas over there.

jibjab, you'll know if you get the ax. Here or there. Trust me on that one.

joneb
May 15, 2006, 11:32 PM
Is there a target on my back ? someone ?
Al sorry about your Mom

Al Norris
May 15, 2006, 11:53 PM
I dunno... Turn around and let me see. :D

And thank you. She'd been sick a long time.

jimpeel
May 16, 2006, 12:35 AM
My condolences on the loss of your mother.

sm
May 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
Mr. Norris,
I am sorry for your loss.

Been Awhile

Yeah I knew that, easy to spot you toting that Ithaca 37 in 20 ga :D

Oh since I have you here...

Antipitas needs to put his Post in regard to Meth & Gun Control [forget the exact thread title and TFL is down] in TFL Library- the one I sent you a link on drug stores doing a database on and PM-ed you about.

Yes , that thread you had the 37 and the get banned button handy .

Personally I feel that thread, with your excellent cites is valuable , and one that will continue to come to surface again.

Tell Rich I said it was okay to put it in the Library :D

I'm talented, I can stay in trouble on both THR and TFL - at the same time no less :p

Again Condolences,

Steve

Al Norris
May 16, 2006, 09:18 AM
OK, for those that wish to know.

Last Nov. I had just gotten back from an elk hunt, when my sister called. Mom had been ill for the last 6 moths or so and she was just ready to go. By Wed. the 16th, the Docs said gather the family. We got there on Fri. the 18th. On Sat. all the family held a little get together and talked about all the good things we remembered growing up. We said all those things most people never get the chance to say. Mom died during the night.

Mom wanted her ashes strewn over Dad's grave, so we decided to get back together on Mothers Day 2006. This last weekend, we met again, spread some of her ashes and planted the rest under a small Cyprus at Dads head.

All in all, it was a really good death and send-off. I haven't publicly posted anything here or at TFL, because it's not related to what the boards are meant for. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Back on topic.

As of this writing, TFL is still down.

horge
May 16, 2006, 08:51 PM
My condolences, Al Norris.

publius
May 17, 2006, 05:08 AM
Bet some of you didn't even know that this place has become a zoo (http://armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=3279&p=1)! I didn't notice, but then, I'm a pig. :neener:

wheelgunslinger
May 17, 2006, 08:25 AM
I post on TFL also, and I really do enjoy coming here more. I think it has a lot to do with the mission statement, etc. I enjoy intelligent, well thought out conversation as opposed to the usual "I wish a generic felon would come along and try to rob me so I could open fire" type of autoerotic activity inducing conversations I see a lot of on gun forums. THR has the much sought after intelligent convo's.
The quality of posters thoughts, critical thinking skills of the average poster, and the willingness of the mods to stick to the mission statement (despite the fact that I may not like it sometimes) speaks volumes about THR.
Of course, TFL isn't a bad forum. It just suits me better here. I find myself posting less and reading more.

buzz_knox
May 17, 2006, 08:42 AM
Bet some of you didn't even know that this place has become a zoo! I didn't notice, but then, I'm a pig.

Well, that's the beauty of a forum war (which this thread inevitably would become). Everyone's forums get gored.

Leif
May 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
which this thread inevitably would become

Maybe I'm being naive (always a distinct possibility), but I don't quite see why the two boards need to be viewed as competing against each other (and I'm not saying that you, buzz_knox, specifically are doing this). Naturally, people who post most frequently here as opposed to TFL will show an inclination that THR is 'better' - in whichever way they choose to define 'better' - than TFL; I'm sure the same exists in reverse.

I've seen a fair share of intelligent conversation, erudite answers to esoteric technical questions, SEEL operators, and political flamebaiters on both sides of the aisle. Without quantification (which would be virtually impossible), measuring the relative worth of either board as compared to its counterpart is an exercise in perception. Not having the 'historical perspective' that other members possess (I only joined both boards within the last year), it's difficult for me, at least, to gauge their respective prosperity or decline.

Naturally, though, THR and TFL hands every other gun boards' collective rears to them on a plate! :neener:

buzz_knox
May 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe I'm being naive (always a distinct possibility), but I don't quite see why the two boards need to be viewed as competing against each other (and I'm not saying that you, buzz_knox, specifically are doing this). Naturally, people who post most frequently here as opposed to TFL will show an inclination that THR is 'better' - in whichever way they choose to define 'better' - than TFL; I'm sure the same exists in reverse

You're not being naive, and you have the right of it. They shouldn't be seen as competing. But a quick review of the thread indicates people preferring THR because it's "more intellectual," filled with less "counterstrike commandos" etc than TFL. That's were arguments/flame wars arise. People prefer their favorite even when they can't see that the favorite is basically the same as the non-favorite.

Legionnaire
May 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
I started off on TFL, and migrated to THR when TFL took a hiatus. Both boards are great. Now that TFL is up and running again, I find that I spend most of my time here, although I do occasionally hit TFL as well. When looking for specific information, I search both boards.

Leif
May 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
This may be a moot discussion for a while, because if you try to access TFL this morning, this is the message you get:

On Saturday, May 13 the TFL Server Crashed for reasons unknown.

Since that time, attempts to reach our Sever Hosting Company have failed.

Offsite backup of the TFL database is available from several hours prior to the crash; no critical data has been lost.

We are currently working to bring the site up on a server owned and hosted by Eric Powell at GlockTalk.com pending retrieval of our owned servers from the former Hosting Company.

Updates will be provided on this page.

Meanwhile, you can browse the library. Regards from the Staff of TheFiringLine.com

Yikes! That sounds pretty bad. I hope that they can get everything back in order.

cbsbyte
May 17, 2006, 01:58 PM
The TFL has been offline for at least a week. Does anyone know if it is kaput or just temporary?

choochboost
May 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
This may be a moot discussion for a while, because if you try to access TFL this morning, this is the message you get:

On Saturday, May 13 the TFL Server Crashed for reasons unknown.

Since that time, attempts to reach our Sever Hosting Company have failed.

Offsite backup of the TFL database is available from several hours prior to the crash; no critical data has been lost.

We are currently working to bring the site up on a server owned and hosted by Eric Powell at GlockTalk.com pending retrieval of our owned servers from the former Hosting Company.

Updates will be provided on this page.

Meanwhile, you can browse the library. Regards from the Staff of TheFiringLine.com

The Scandinavian
May 17, 2006, 03:29 PM
THR. TFL occasionally, and GT once in a while to lament over how the mighty have fallen :-(

Al Norris
May 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
cbsbyte, TFL has only been offline since last Saturday morning. That was only 4 days ago, not a whole week.

Read the post directly above your last post and you will see the answer. It's temporary!

It'll probably take a few more days, but TFL will be back up. Rich has no intention of letting it die.

Leif
May 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm glad to hear that. Best of luck to you guys with the endeavor. I've developed this slight shake in my hand since Saturday ... :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "The High Road or The Firing Line?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!