How to attach a sling to a Marlin 60

PDA

halfgone
April 25, 2006, 11:12 PM
The M60 does not come with swivel studs, which means you cannot attach the sling swivels that Marlin sells. I'm sure there has to be a way around it, but I'm not sure how.

Does anyone know of a sling-type that can get around that?

If I am going to be drilling into the stock, does anyone have suggestions on the type of hardware I should buy to install?

I would like to add a sling for target shooting/riflery purposes. It has to be able to have some pretty good tension against it (this is of course in lieu of practicing all the time with my full-sized/more expensive rifle).

Thanks for the suggestions. -hg

If you enjoyed reading about "How to attach a sling to a Marlin 60" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Limeyfellow
April 25, 2006, 11:35 PM
It shouldn't be too hard to buy a set of swivels and install it onto the stock, though might require taking out a little wood from the stock to get the metal level with the wood. Its fairly basic stuff but I guess most gunsmiths or even a semi competent DIY man can do it.

spooney
April 25, 2006, 11:54 PM
There are sling studs that clamp around the magazine tube, although that may preclude you from using your sling as a support.

halfgone
April 26, 2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll go for the DIY drill option. The wood is pressed wood, not solid, so it bothered me a bit... I guess I could just learn to love the rifle the way it is, but I was really hoping it would help me learn to shoot w/ a sling better.

Oh well. I'll look around for some parts.

rangerruck
April 26, 2006, 04:13 AM
use a small drill bit just to get a hole started. go aout 1.5 inch from the rear of the buttstock, for the back. go 2to3 inches in for the front.

dfaugh
April 26, 2006, 11:22 AM
use a small drill bit just to get a hole started. go aout 1.5 inch from the rear of the buttstock, for the back. go 2to3 inches in for the front.

Yup, this is what i did with mine. I bought the sets with screw in studs and "removable" sling swivels (so they don't get in the way when i shoot off the bench. drill a hole roughly 1/2 the diameter of the screws, you should have no problems with the wood splitting.

adaman04
April 26, 2006, 12:25 PM
I started shooting my Marlin 60 at age 5, under Dad's guidance and supervision of course. When I was about 6 or 7 I decided to put a sling on it. Dad and I took a trip to Bass Pro and the same studs have been on there since.

I think I just bought a package with the studs and swivels all in one. I have never had any problems with it.

As said before, just drill a small hole for the studs. Just get a good pilot hole and screw the studs in, you won't have any problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to attach a sling to a Marlin 60" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!