The best 1911 manufacturer?

PDA

Holshot
April 26, 2006, 12:59 AM
Part of me wants to ask this question because I need some opinions. The other parts want to start a fight and/or beat this same old dead horse.

I am going to buy a 1911. I am a type A perfectionist who would rather do without than pay one penny for substandard. I want a great gun that will be a great gun for a long time. I'm leaning toward a Kimber Gold Match II. I want to shoot IDPA and punch paper. Suppose cost isn't an issue and give me your opinions. If you can help me make up my mind, I'll be greatful.

If you enjoyed reading about "The best 1911 manufacturer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steelharp
April 26, 2006, 01:05 AM
Oh, man..................

I'm puttin' on the tin foil hat, and I'm just gonna sit and watch...

Ok, I'll put in an opinion... it's hard to beat a Colt... they're just THE workhorse...

... and I happen to have one I'll part with, as well... :D

DHart
April 26, 2006, 07:00 AM
For production grade guns: Colt.

jehu
April 26, 2006, 09:05 AM
Colt, as I sit here looking at my 1918 production 1911 all original 45 that still shoots fine. Any questions?:banghead: :what:

Kevinch
April 26, 2006, 09:37 AM
The other parts want to start a fight and/or beat this same old dead horse.

My thoughts are that this is the main reason. Not worth a response IMO...

Brian Williams
April 26, 2006, 09:39 AM
Most are partial to Colt pre 1940 but I would love to have a 1943 Remington Rand...

For New Production I would take a Colt Govt Model w/NRM

Rangegod
April 26, 2006, 09:44 AM
Over the years (way too many) I have owned several dozen 1911ís produced by various manufactures or professional builders in every imaginable configuration. I have come to the conclusion that at this time, the best combination of quality parts, overall fitting/finishing and performance per dollar spent is offered by the STI Trojan. The Trojanís price falls right in the middle of those in my current collection but it performs as well or better than the most expensive. It also has better parts (barrel, lock work etc.) then the high end Kimbers and Springfields. Itís overall fitting and finishing is equal to or better than any Iíve owned under $1500. So, for these reasons I consider the STI Trojan to be one of the best values on the 1911 market today.

JAC

Anthony_
April 26, 2006, 10:16 AM
I own and love my Ed Brown Kobra Karry 1911, got it for abougt 2300 bucks.

With that said, my Springfield Armory TRP Operator 1911 shoots just as straight, and just as reliable, and that only cost me 1400 bucks.

Over a grand for any 1911, and you are getting a great gun. You are just paying for options at that point.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
April 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
Best for what?

I hear faint whispers of "Phillipines!" and "Brazil!"

Chris Rhines
April 26, 2006, 10:27 AM
Highest overall quality, price no object, for a complete 1911-pattern gun?

STI.

I'm kinda partial to the Lawman, myself.

- Chris

Ala Dan
April 26, 2006, 10:28 AM
of course, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special .45 ACP~!:D

1911JMB
April 26, 2006, 11:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love 1911's, but I would reccomend you get a cheap one to get it out of your system, then a Sig for performance. I bought a Springfield GI. Its not incredibly accurate, but it never jams since I started using all wilson mags and had the extractor tuned. I also have a Sig P220 which I bought for 400 dollars used. Its every bit as accurate and reliable as an Ed Brown 1911, it just cost a minimum of $1,400 less.

If you are unlike me and have tons of cash, any expensive 1911 that looks good to you should work quite well. Even if you pick one up and it has problems, 1911's are like Mustangs, you can get them fixed, or tuned to your tastes cheaply and anywhere.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
April 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
Best forged gun to shoot for short money = Springfield GI or Mil-spec

Best Plinker for even shorter money = Rock Island

Best US made premium service grade 1911 = Colt, S&W, Kimber, Para, Springer

For my purposes, everything else is "the best way to spend a lot of money".
They way I look at it, the $1500 some people spend on a boutiqe 1911 was enough for me to have bought my Springer GI, tweaked and tricked it out a little if that was even neccesary, and bought 9,000 rounds of ammunition.

By the time you're finished bragging, I've still got 5 yrs worth of ammo left.

45auto
April 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
If money is no object and you are going to shoot a lot of rounds, you need to go "semi-custom" at least and full custom if you are a "nit-picking" type A personality ;) ...with lot's of time and money!

I don't think you will be satisfied with "production" out of the box 1911's.

Notice I said "shoot a lot of rounds". That's where the guns that have been "touched" by knowledgable hands and better quality parts really shine IMHO.

ARTiger
April 26, 2006, 01:05 PM
With the thousands of possible variations on the 1911 design there is no "perfect gun" out there. It's subjective as to the purpose and to the shooter. Best rationale is to ask yourself just what you want from the gun then precisely pick and choose from the many alternatives.

#1 learn what you like and dislike from the basic 1911 design - means shooting one a bunch

#2 Find a good gunsmith who knows the design and can hone it to your individual needs.

#3 There are 50 + variations for most every major part on the original design. Deciding which you want/need means expending a lot of ammo at the range.

#4 great 1911's are not so much made for shooters, but rather are made BY shooters honing their skill by precisely matching the gun to themselves.

NineseveN
April 26, 2006, 01:50 PM
Colt? Give me a break. He said money was no option and people are suggesting off-the line factory grade guns...:rolleyes:

Ed Brown, Valtro, Yost-Bonnitz, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, STI, Springfield Custom Shop, Nighthawk...if price is no concern, any one of those (or any high quality custom 1911) will make a dent in your wallet and be tailored to your individual wants and needs and will be leaps and bounds better than a factory Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, S&W etc...

Old Dog
April 26, 2006, 02:13 PM
Dead horse ... dead horse ... dead horse ... dead horse ... old, rotting, maggot-ridden, decomposing, disintegrating, drying out, turning to dust, blowing away in the wind dead horse ...

So very subjective. But me ... I'm content with Wilson's for the tacticoolness, Ed Brown's for the beauty, Les Baer's for practicality ... Factory guns ... I'll go with Colt's or SA, though I've got a good Kimber, too.

BozemanMT
April 26, 2006, 02:37 PM
out of the box, price no object
an Ed Brown

the Les Baer's are very nice and the STI's are also very nice.

however, the best 1911 I own is a regular Colt Commander that's had a lot of work done on it by Ted Yost.
And it's an amazing gun.

Money no object, I'd buy one and send it to the gunsmith of your choice.

SwampWolf
April 26, 2006, 03:52 PM
For utter reliability and out of the box accuracy, a 1911 from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center snares my vote.

Holshot
April 26, 2006, 07:03 PM
No, starting a debate was not my true intention. Just wanting to get some information. I guess the info I get here and everywhere else is that everyone has their opinion. I do own a Sig 220 and can shoot it very well but I went with a Kimber Gold Match II...almost bought the Baer, almost the Wilson. Truth is, if it doesn't work, I'm going with the Wilson. A gun is like a woman, choose your own. Much thanks to everyone for your time.

megatronrules
April 26, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'am gonna say colt I have an NRM 1991 great gun flawless out of the box to. I'am also gonna touch on something holshot said "guns are like women chose your own" Well for me I like my 1911's like my woman loose and dirty,because thats when they are the most fun LOL

If you enjoyed reading about "The best 1911 manufacturer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!