Face-to-face Sale Questions

PDA

rino451
April 26, 2006, 07:38 PM
When buying ftf how do you go about determining whether something was/is stolen? Or, do you not worry about it? Do you require a bill of sale and if so, what do you include?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Face-to-face Sale Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
neil minor
April 26, 2006, 08:04 PM
I understand there are different processes for different states. One state I know of does not require any proof from the seller. It is more like a "good faith" agreement. You might want to check your local requirements. I would not be real happy if the authorities were to come to the house to take away a gun I paid my good money for. That might also cause me problems some time down the road when it comes time to renew a ccw permit. To sum all this up: I do not take any silly chances purchasing used guns.

Good luck.

Chipperman
April 26, 2006, 08:14 PM
There are no federal forms or required bills of sale.

With that said, it's not a bad idea to have a piece of paper with both signatures on it, and the serial number. It is a little more proof to the Law that you acted in good faith, and made an attempt to ensure that said gun was legit.

Local and state laws may vary.

aguyindallas
April 26, 2006, 08:30 PM
When I buy or sell FTF, I take a look at the persons DL and if they have one, CHL.

I always do a simple bill of sale that says:

I, XXXXX XXXXX, sell my XXXX Model XXX serial XXXX to XXXXX XXXXX for $XXX.XX on XX/XX/XX.

Signed

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Seller

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Buyer

This way if something does go haywire, I can at least say I did what I could to make sure it was a legit transaction.

Preacherman
April 26, 2006, 08:58 PM
It's worthwhile getting proof of who you bought it from or sold it to, and the date of sale, signed by both parties. This is because you have no idea whether the gun has been or will be used in a crime. Let's say the cops discover that the gun was used to commit a felony on a given date. Let's assume they trace the gun to you, as either its current or previous owner. If you can prove that you bought it or sold it on a date that doesn't implicate you in the crime, you're in the clear. If you can't, you'll have a lot of explaining to do.

I usually don't bother with such precautions when I know the person concerned, or have reason to believe that they're trustworthy, or am dealing with a gun that is an unlikely crime weapon. However, for those I know nothing about, I think this is a worthwhile precaution.

Dr.Who
April 26, 2006, 09:21 PM
Here in Illinois, We are required to get a copy of the FOID (firearm owner indentification) Card and a copy of the Drivers License. When ever I have done a sale. A copy of both our Id's are on one sheet of paper with the verbage saying that on this date, this so and so model gun (be discriptive grips, engravings, sites, etc...), with a serial number XXXXX was sold to party A from Party B for this amount of funds. Then I have both of us sign it, enter phone numbers, and we both retain a copy.

I will plan on keeping this info in my safe till I die..... It is just in case, in-order to show due diligence and to protect both the buyer and the seller....

I ran into a problem about 6 years ago in Michigan on a 95 year old 1911 that had been in the family since 1930's. It had never been registered. reatives were a bit afraid of it.... Inherited the gun and trying to do what is correct, went to Mich to register it in my name. They started their check and a colt with the same number came up stolen in the late 70's. I knew that this gun was not the one, since I had paperwork/Letter from the armory showing that this was one of two guns shipped to a relative back in 1932. Further checks found that the serial number belonged to a revolver and not a semi-auto.

Hence the paperwork saved a confiscation of a family heirloom gun. Keep good records of any gun so sell or buy....

M2 Carbine
April 26, 2006, 10:22 PM
I only got a bill of sale on the first pistol I ever owned. A Beretta 25, in 1956.

Since then, if the person looks "OK", I just swap money and gun. I don't care who they are and I sure ain't going to tell a stranger who I am.

As far as the bug-a-boo about getting in trouble??

A 1911 45 I bought from a FFL dealer and sold was used in a killing.
The detectives traced me half way across the US. When they called me, I said I sold the gun and that was the end of it.

Just make sure you do whatever is legal in your state.

arjppj
April 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
i sold one not too long ago and i wrote the make/model/serial number, the guy's name, DL number, address and made him sign that he was not a felon, fugitive, dishonorably discharged, ect...basically everything you sign when you buy from an FFL....it was a guy i've worked with for 3 years so i know he is clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "Face-to-face Sale Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!