How did you come up with your name?

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

the 22 junkie
April 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
I thought of mine while watching one of those "music/dancing/surfing...my anti-drug" ads; and thought about that and how my affection for 22's would prolly work well as that, seeing a s I wouldn't be able to buy legaly if I was convivted on something drug-related. Yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "How did you come up with your name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
a454me
April 26, 2006, 09:41 PM
A 1911a1 in 45acp is my favorite handgun so : A forty-five for me

depicts
April 26, 2006, 09:44 PM
I used to own a photography company called d'pix. At the time (ten years ago) I couldn't use an apostrophe in my e mail address, so I used the phonetically similar depicts, and have been depicts ever since

rero360
April 26, 2006, 09:44 PM
mines the same as my AIM name and when I was thinking it up I couldn't think of anything so I took it off a coffee mug that my dad got through work, had rero on one side and loctite on the other, so I took the rero and added a 360, its an easy number to remember

Mooseman
April 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
My wife calls me her mooseman because she loves moose and I'm 14" taller than she is.:)

GunnySkox
April 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
I wanted a name what could easily be condensed into a cool-looking abbreviation (inspiration, a poster on another board who ended his posts "~AbM") and would also be representative of me.

My first attempt at that was "Slam_Fire", but "SlF" or "S_F" don't look as cool as "AbM" so I tried to come up with two words bumped end-to-end (with the always-classy capital letter in its midst) that made sense and worked together.

I'm a furry, and I roleplay as a "skunk-fox" on "teh internets", so Skox was a given. Add in a healthy dose of gun-nut, and you get "GunnySkox", which squishes down to the nifty "GnSx"

~GnSx
[SPARE] ~ The Original Extraneous Solution

combatpreacher
April 26, 2006, 09:53 PM
My life before and after meeting Jesus

real_name
April 26, 2006, 09:54 PM
It's my real name.

CajunBass
I've had this name since I first started exploring the internet. I don't know how long ago it was, but AOL charged $3.95 an hour back then I think it was, and was using Version 2.5. :what:

I got the name from the Cajun bass boats I was running back then. When Cajun went under, and I switched to a Javelin, I was too lazy to change my name.

GunnySkox
It's my real name.

Real_Name wins, I think.
:D
~GnSx

Matt King
April 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
I just really love my state:)

dakotasin
April 26, 2006, 09:57 PM
i'm a paper assassin from s.d.
made sense to me.

the 22 junkie
April 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
True that! :D

flatdog
April 26, 2006, 09:59 PM
It's the nickname for the African croc.

'Card
April 26, 2006, 10:00 PM
I used to be a Whitewater Raft Guide on the New and Gauley rivers up in West Virginia. Just about every guide gets stuck with some kind of a nickname. Mine was "Wildcard". (the story behind that is too long to get into here - let's just say I lucked out and the river gods turned a lousy hand into a royal flush, so to speak)

So in 1997 when I started gaming on the internet (playing Air Warrior on AOL) I just naturally used "Wildcard" as my callsign. People who knew me and became friends over the years shortened it to 'Card, so that's what I use most of the time now.

M2 Carbine
April 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
The first web site I signed on was a British site. I wanted a name about guns and since I have a M2 Carbine :) .

stellarpod
April 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
I suppose it's a reference to my love of astronomy. I got the idea from the cosmic machine in which Jody Foster rode across the universe in the movie CONTACT.

stellarpod

Zero_DgZ
April 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
People call me Zero. My website is DgZ. A high speed collision of the two results in...

Yes.

Besides, plain old "Zero" is usually taken at most places, so I gave up even trying to use it.

cslinger
April 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
Some years ago a wrote some books and such for a popular role playing game. One of my creations for those books featured Cybernetically enhanced gunslingers or Cslingers for short.....hence the name.

My wife who posts here from time to time became Sheslinger.

Chris

real_name
April 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Gunnyskox, it's also my (real) name elsewhere on the internets.
It never ceases to amaze me that it's available whenever I sign up somewhere, yet names like "PictureFrame_BlueSidewalk_2000" are already in use.

I guess everyone wants a name that means something while I just want one I can easily remember.

rbernie
April 26, 2006, 10:10 PM
My platoon in Basic decided that my nickname would be Bernie, since it was short and easy to yell and derivative of my last name. That was my online name since '93, until things got crowded enough that it wasn't distinctive any more. Adding my first initial to the nickname made it <rbernie>, and I've been <rbernie> since '95 or so...

Myself
April 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
I am Myself.

Emeses
April 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
Phonetic spelling of my initials MSS.:D

Mannlicher
April 26, 2006, 10:16 PM
Mannlicher-Schoenauer Rifles :D

ATAShooter
April 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
ATA - Amatuer Trapshooting Association Shooter

Hawk
April 26, 2006, 10:26 PM
It's what everyone calls me. Not unexpected given a real surname of Hawxhurst.

Tough to get on most boards though; pretty much have to be in the first hundred users signing up - real popular nickname for some reason.

CSA 357
April 26, 2006, 10:36 PM
csa 357, from a skeeter skelton book it was a tag number in the book,

Devonai
April 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
Kyrie Devonai, third in command of the CIA's Omega Team, a Boston-based branch office specializing in quick response and covert investigations in the New England area. He's a main character in my first two novels and a supporting character in my first published novel, Reckless Faith.

gripper
April 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
In another setting I was nicknamed "Greg the Ripper".....and I won a bet from someone at a gym involving a plate loaded grip machine.

blacksuit
April 26, 2006, 10:48 PM
Up until a few months ago I worked on a special security team at a maximum prison. We wore black colored uniforms, everyone else wore tan. The inmate would always say " here come the blacksuits! "

Sam
April 26, 2006, 10:50 PM
Pop hung it on me about 10 minutes after I was born.:D

Sam

neo-con
April 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
Guess....yes thats right neocon was already taken:fire:

oneshooter
April 26, 2006, 10:53 PM
Because I am but one shooter out of many.:neener:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

creitzel
April 26, 2006, 10:53 PM
First initial and last name. I guess I win for most unoriginal name eh? :)

Chris

LynnMassGuy
April 26, 2006, 10:55 PM
I'm a guy from Lynn, Massachusetts.

thumper723
April 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
When I was growing up in New England, I raced Motocross NESC and NEMX. My race number was 123 at first, and when I made Youth Expert, I took 723 because 123 was taken.

Four-Stroke motocross bikes were called "Thumpers" due to their sound, (at the time, early 90's two-strokes were king, and sounded like weedwackers on steriods).

The first web forums I was on were Motocross forums, so I used a MX related username. I just kept on using it on other forums, so I did not have to remember 100 different user names.

About the only exceptions, are the forum for my fraternity, where I use my fraterny nickname, "Cooter" (I can fix ANYTHING).

The other is a Naval Aviation related forum where I used "MASTER" which is my callsign.

rico700
April 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
Old nickname plus my favorite rifle. I have no imagination:( .

rhubarb
April 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
I sure do like them there rhubarb pies. I'm a bit of a rube (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Rube). It's my real_name I swear.:rolleyes:

Rembrandt
April 26, 2006, 11:01 PM
Finance the firearm hobby by doing classic car restorations and custom painting. Being of Dutch decent several clients nicknamed me "Rembrandt the Artist".....that was over 25 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/self-1634.jpg

RyanM
April 26, 2006, 11:02 PM
Mine's obvious.

LeonCarr
April 26, 2006, 11:02 PM
When I was going to college in Huntsville, Texas, I worked full-time as a Correctional Officer in the Administrative Segregation Unit of a Maximum Security Prison. One night at work a convicted felon screamed out "Leon Carr" at the top of his lungs for about eight hours. I went up on the run and asked him who Leon Carr was, and he tried to hock a lugie on me :). I thought it was hilarious, and since I never did find out who Leon Carr was, I have used his name as my screen name ever since. Call it an eternal tribute :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Guy B. Meredith
April 26, 2006, 11:04 PM
Mom and Pop gave it to me.

clueless
April 26, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'm man enough to admit that I don't know as much as I think... therefore I'm clueless!:)

Black Majik
April 26, 2006, 11:14 PM
Well, my SN really came from the car days, this was due to owning only black cars. Its stuck with me on car forums, motorcycle forums, counterstrike SN, shooting forums etc etc...

slohand
April 26, 2006, 11:18 PM
Eric Clapton fan

Clipper
April 26, 2006, 11:22 PM
I started using this handle when I had my 1955 Packard Clipper Constellation...

scooterthegreat
April 26, 2006, 11:22 PM
I was given the nickname scooter by some kids at my karate studio. Had to do with my sparring style and how at 5' 2" I put down a 6' 2" opponent with a scooting kick to the head. (we were both surprised) "the great" was added as scooter is so very often taken and is mostly in sarcasm - like Joxer the Mighty.

ColoradoKid
April 26, 2006, 11:24 PM
It's where I presently live...!!

bumm
My late father called me "bum" ever since I was a baby back in 1950. I was looking for a name to use on ebay back in '98, and bum was already taken so I used "bumm." It works fairly well, since actually the entire name he often used was "bummer." Most every place I go online, if I'm not going by Marty, my real name, I'm "bumm."

Warren
I am an interconnected system of underground burrows in which rodents reside.

Byron Quick
April 26, 2006, 11:26 PM
Parents put it on my birth certificate. People kept using it and I became resigned to it.

Hypnogator
April 26, 2006, 11:26 PM
Once upon a time, I was an investigative hypnotist. Haven't done that in a long time.

.....but don't look me in the eye. :what: :eek: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sindawe
April 26, 2006, 11:27 PM
The handles I used to use during my BBSing days no longer fit since they were reflective of a life and outlook long since laid to rest. I chose a name from one of my favorite series of novels (The Black Company). I did a search, there are lots of Croakers, Ravens, One-Eyes, Goblins and even a few Soulcatchers online, but no Sindawes.

So Sin suffices.

Nashmack
April 26, 2006, 11:28 PM
I live on the NASHua/merriMACK town lines ;)

loud-mouth shnook
April 26, 2006, 11:28 PM
Mine was an insult slung from one character in a Warner Bros. cartoon at another character. It also became a running joke in my band. (Bands usually have a few running jokes at any given time.) Anyway, those old '40's and '50's WB cartoons are timelessly dear to my heart.

(Doesn't hurt that I prob'ly AM a loud-mouth shnook.)

CrazyIrishman
April 26, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hmm,lets see.....

After I got my license (early 70's) I wasn't able to afford a car right away so I got a street bike which I rode year 'round. On the weekend that a friends girlfriend threw a birthday for him I got stuck in a thunderstorm.

No sooner I got in the door (and soaking wet),my buddy says "man, you sure are a CRAZY Irishman"! LOL!

Savage.250
April 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
Mines pretty odvious. Have a Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 Savage cal. that was handed down from my grandpa.

Hardware
April 26, 2006, 11:38 PM
I've been Hardware since the early 80's. I started off with nuts and bolts, car parts and anything I could take apart. Since then my hobbies have evolved into guns, computers and power tools. Each one has a unique set of hardware, but I love tinkering with 'em all. Only natural that I'd take the name online.

joab
April 26, 2006, 11:42 PM
RoadRunner assigns a temporary ID when you sign up usually consisting of four letters by four numbers min was JOAB 1949.
When I signed up here, my second forum, I couldn't think of a screen name and didn't think to hit the shift or cap lock button and became joab.

Later found out there is another meaning to the name and am surprised that I have not been called on it yet, especially from out Bible oriented members

SiG Lady
April 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
My first gun was a Ruger Mark II Gov' Model, but my second and third guns (9mm and .40S&W, respectively) were my first big-bore items... both Sigs, P239 and P229 respectively. I had to choose SOME kind of handle for a couple of forums and the "SiG Lady" just naturally stuck. I still use the moniker in various forum business and related business activity, even though the Sig armaments are gone. One thing you DON'T do in business is constantly change your name. So I didn't. :D

Snagglepuss
April 26, 2006, 11:48 PM
Old CB handle from the days of Smokey and the Bandit. Also great cartoon from the late 60's, early seventies.:cool:

Can'thavenuthingood
April 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
Long distance call from a friend of mine in Minnesota telling me about his latest gun purchases. While at the same time I was looking at the circular's from Century International and AIM, each full of "Not for sale in California" listings.

I was pouting cause I "Can'thavenuthingood" out here.

Vick

aguyindallas
April 26, 2006, 11:52 PM
When I first discovered forums and instant messaging several years ago, I lived in the city of Dallas. As such, I was just "a guy in dallas" which is aguyindallas.

I now live just north of Dallas, but heck, the name sticks and I kinda like it.

crashm1
April 27, 2006, 12:17 AM
M1 is the number on the side of my racecar, I borrowed the number from my father. Crash is what I tended to do with it for the first couple of years till I learned how to avoid them. I have pretty much quit racing because it's too dang expensive. Now I play with guns and motorcycles which are considerably cheaper.

Kim
April 27, 2006, 12:19 AM
My Dad thought Kim Novack(a movie star) was the most beautiful woman. Yes I need to change my name to something that I can hide behind. So this may be my last post with my true name.:scrutiny:

hso
April 27, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've used hso ever since the days of rec.knives.

It stands for Health and Safety Officer, which is the title of the lead person that is responsible for the team's health and safety on a hazardous waste site. I did this for a living for over a decade on various rad/chem contaminated sites across the eastern U.S.

cosine
April 27, 2006, 12:24 AM
Well, I like trig, and like the sound of the word cosine, so I became cosine. Not much to it, actually.

Rexrider
April 27, 2006, 12:26 AM
My motorcycle is a Kawasaki ZRX1200. The nickname for the bike among owners is ZREX or just REX.

Hence... Rexrider

http://i3.tinypic.com/wjubl0.jpg

the 22 junkie
April 27, 2006, 12:38 AM
What I'd like to hear is where Beerslurpy and PP got theirs from.

BullfrogKen
April 27, 2006, 01:05 AM
Over a decade ago when I first began dating the gal who became my wife, we were walking along some streetside stores after dinner. An outdoor shop had a T-shirt depicting a big ol' bullfrog on it, with this big long tongue. She pointed it out and said something about who it reminded her of . . .

trickyasafox
April 27, 2006, 01:11 AM
there was a simpsons episode where homer said LIKE A FOX

so then i became, tricky, like a fox.

Nathaniel Firethorn
April 27, 2006, 01:18 AM
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/02/one-that-started-them-all.htmlI also found out that Pyracantha is a Latin word that means, "Deadly Demon Vampire Bush from Hell."- NF

evan price
April 27, 2006, 01:18 AM
It is an alias I used to use, once upon a time, as a character in a Werewolf RPG. Carried 2 Glock 17's with silver bullets. My packmates didn't appreciate the fact that I carried silver.
The name came literally, as I was creating the character, I grabbed a phone book, flipped to a random page, and first name at top of phone book page was Evan something.. Same random stab, name at top of phone book's last name was Price.
I used "Adam Selene" for years and years all the way back to BBS'ing in the early 80's and as a matter of fact a lot of people thought that was my REAL name; I get mail for Adam Selene regularly. (well, my real first name IS Adam) but now I guess a lot of people read Heinlien so it is already taken on a lot of places I register.

ReadyontheRight
April 27, 2006, 01:23 AM
I am a liberal democrat.

DRZinn
April 27, 2006, 01:27 AM
D. R. Zinn

Pleeztameetcha.

bill.l.johnson
April 27, 2006, 01:41 AM
I am who I am!:)

April 27, 2006, 01:47 AM
I've loaded hundreds of pounds of 2400 over the years.

Twycross
April 27, 2006, 01:51 AM
'Twycross' is the name of a planet in a sci-fi computer game I used to play.

Low-Sci
April 27, 2006, 01:57 AM
There's high science: chemistry, quantum physics, biotechnology, nanotechnology, medical science...

And then there's low science: nuts and bolts, blocks of metal, washers, o-rings, cutting tools, stuff like that. I'm a machinist, and I figure that's low science. Hence, Low-Sci.

Don't Tread On Me
April 27, 2006, 02:02 AM
Most names were already taken when I joined.

The name I use on here is pretty much the shortest, and to the point expression of how anyone should and can react to what's going on in American right now.

Worked back then, should work again.

Reacher
April 27, 2006, 02:55 AM
Reacher was a King in a book I read. I really liked his character. "He of the sure and just reach."

gazpacho
April 27, 2006, 03:01 AM
Back in my BBS, MUD and early WWW days I went by the name TheDarkbear. But it got poached so much I finally gave it up. About that time I was really into a BBC TV show called Read Dwarf. "Gazpacho" is the last word spoken by one of the characters. Liked it. Used it. Kept it. I've even eaten it once or twice.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
April 27, 2006, 03:43 AM
I just put a bunch of letters together because everything else was takin.

silicon wolverine
April 27, 2006, 04:03 AM
I picked mine up when i played team fortress classic in high school. It was commented on several occasions that my playing style resembled the behavior of a wolverine. i.e. teancious, dangerous, cunning, quick etc. I was the lead computer geek in school also so hence "silicon wolverine" its stuck ever since.

SW

David W. Gay
April 27, 2006, 04:05 AM
It's a long story. However, the Cliff's Notes version is:

I was born. I was given a name. Years later I joined THR. And, as I couldn't think of anything better to call my self online, I just used my given name.

The End. (Well, not really The End -since "I'm not dead yet") :)

PlayboyPenguin
April 27, 2006, 04:22 AM
My name comes from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon "Frigid Hare". It is the name of the little penguin in the top hat.

Nematocyst
April 27, 2006, 05:02 AM
I'm a biologist by training. Now a professional educator.

I came to THR looking for advice about a shotgun that could be used for not only hunting, but self-defense. I already pretty much knew which model I wanted to buy (see user name), but hadn't decided which specific set of characteristics I wanted on it. (I ended up with a "P". Fine gun.)

As you know, speed of operation is one (among several) important factors when using weapons for self-defense & food acquisition.

I move fast, write fast, dance fast, like fast music, etc. Thus, for my user name, I searched for a biological phenomenon exemplifying speed. I considered antelope (fastest NA land mammal); kestrel (blazing birds); & cheetah.

[Added by edit: I'll preface this by saying I don't study birds per se. Thus, I made a mistake in my original post. For years, I've held the mistaken belief that kestrels were fast. Doubting my accuracy, I checked the web. They are not. They are related to the fastest - Peregrine falcons, and are even in the same genus. But kestrels are relatively laid back. Good thing I didn't pick that name. :D /edit]

Then, I remembered that nematocysts - the business end of 'stinging cells' that you feel when you get tangled up with a jellyfish - are used both for defense & prey capture, AND are very, very fast. They evolved in cnidaria (that's jellyfish, hydras, anemomies, corals, Portuguese man o' wars, etc), but can be incorporated into other animals (e.g., molluscs) via symbiosis.

The sig line takes it from there.

(Just call me) Nem

the pistolero
April 27, 2006, 08:38 AM
pistols are mainly what I shoot these days...

MadMercS55
April 27, 2006, 09:22 AM
I love old Mercury vehicles. Have 2 old\1 new right now, favorite is my 1955 Mercury Montclair 2dr hardtop, fully restored. I also have a 1964 Mercury Marauder, runs good buy needs some TLC. Daily driver is a 2003 Mercury Marauder.
So, hence my user name.

G36-UK
April 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
I live in the UK, and I have a great desire for a H&K G36K.

It was meant as a play on words. Also, I didn't think G36K-AG36-UK would fit.

dawgtraxx
April 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
watchin' my dog chase a squirrel across the yard,,, she runs sideways:)

El Tejon
April 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
Nickname from my law enforcement days.

Stiletto Null
April 27, 2006, 09:39 AM
Knives.

You'll usually see me around the Internet as "Stiletto", "Stiletto One", or "Stiletto Null".

creampuff
April 27, 2006, 09:43 AM
With a wife and baby girl, I probably shouldn't be wasting my time playing online games. But last year, I took a shot at Call of Duty. I gave myself a screen name of Sig220, or KillerDawg. However, I was getting killed mercilessly by kids probably half my age. I didn't think myself worthy of SIG220, so I changed my name to "creampuff".

I did have to laugh, and how these kids were taunting each other, with how real men don't snipe, or use cover....It's a video game!!!...Testicular fortitude is not determined by pixels on a screen :banghead:

nucstl1
April 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
New Castle Nut Brown Ale. My Favorite beverage and football team.

afsnco
April 27, 2006, 09:53 AM
I'm a retired, Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer-AFSNCO. I guess you can take the guy out of the acronyms, but you can't take the acronyms out of the guy.

Mongo the Mutterer
April 27, 2006, 09:56 AM
afsnco -- I'm a member of the AAAAAA. (the Association for the Abolition of Abused Acronyms and Assinine Abbreviations).

"Mongo":D -- when "Blazing Saddles" came out my friends put the name on me. Just don't know why...

SolaScriptura139
April 27, 2006, 09:59 AM
I came up with mine after watching a History Channel show on Martin Luther, and reading "The Holiness of God" by R.C. Sproul. Both mentioned Sola Scriptura, meaning "Scripture Alone". I liked it, and it reflects my viewpoint, so I picked it. The 139 comes from Psalm 139, one of my favorite psalms, helped me through some difficult times.

afsnco
April 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
Mongo,
My name is AFSNCO and I'm an acronym-oholic.

Sola,
Good one.

Mongo the Mutterer
April 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
yep af, Me 2. They save time.

Manedwolf
April 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
It's a neat-looking and very endangered South American wolf species I try to help with the conservation of...that has thankfully become something of a national-pride animal for Brazil, now. They'd long been mistakenly thought to be dangerous by the local populace, even though it turns out they're harmless, keep to themselves and never attack people.

Sort of like law-abiding gun owners...

http://www.naturephotocentral.com/galhi/3016.jpg

Henry Bowman
April 27, 2006, 10:53 AM
Inspired by John Ross' Unintended Consequences.:cool:

MedGrl
April 27, 2006, 11:03 AM
I got the nickname MedGrl round about 10th grade because I have 3 licenses that are classified as medical first responder (Lifeguard, Wilderness firstaid and Wilderness search and rescue) going on 8 years now I've been MedGrl.

Rumble
April 27, 2006, 11:05 AM
It's the name of one of my cats.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
April 27, 2006, 11:06 AM
Some folks pick a name that implies something false, or makes them sound tough, or sometimes like a blowhard. "specop" this, or "tactical" that. Not for me. I'm just some dude with a gun.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
April 27, 2006, 11:06 AM
DOH!

raveneap
April 27, 2006, 11:09 AM
My favorite poem is "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe. "Raven" was taken, so: raveneap.

stevelyn
April 27, 2006, 11:20 AM
Combination of mine and my gf's name.

MechAg94
April 27, 2006, 11:33 AM
degree in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M. I used this name on the Aggie football sites first.

CoastieTech
April 27, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm in the Coast Guard and I'm an electronics tech.

Dain Bramage
April 27, 2006, 11:41 AM
I stole it from someone else on the internet.:uhoh:

Diomed
April 27, 2006, 11:53 AM
Diomed was the Duke of Wellington's horse, and took a pike at the battle of Assaye in India.

Figured no one anywhere would be using it as a handle, and I think I'm right.

fletcher
April 27, 2006, 12:36 PM
It's my last name.

RocketMan
April 27, 2006, 12:36 PM
I have another hobby that involves smoke, fire, and loud noises: High Power Sport Rocketry.

HPR Certification
NAR Level 2

ChevellRCR
April 27, 2006, 12:38 PM
This is my first love. :) I just use this name on all forums. Stands for Chevelle Racer but I dont race anymore.

slow944
April 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
I owned a 1984 Porsche 944 that was not Turbo Charged, so I had a "SLOW944".

longrifleman
April 27, 2006, 12:54 PM
I was setting at the computer trying to think of something clever ( I sat there a long time), and turned around and saw the then new Pennsylvania long rifle on the rack above the door. It kinda fit the board, so here I am.

Freddymac
April 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
In the world of investing, there are securities called freddymac's. And since my name is Fred, it's just what people at work call me.

-Fred

Old NFO
April 27, 2006, 01:23 PM
Old NFO since I am old retired Naval Flight Officer, and my handle "Cajun" was already in use elsewhere...:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

ALHunter
April 27, 2006, 01:30 PM
Live in Alabama, love to hunt.

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 01:49 PM
I was in a metal band in highschool. Our singer and I were arguing about who was the king of metal. He said he was but I could be the archduke of metal. So it stuck. Kinda silly. Anyway I quit the band and hardly listen to metal anymore so now it's just "TheArchDuke".

RaggedClaws
April 27, 2006, 01:56 PM
The following lines from the T.S. Eliot poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" have stuck in my mind since I first read the poem in high school...

I should have been a pair of ragged claws,
scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

I've used this handle in lots of places through the years.

Mikee Loxxer
April 27, 2006, 01:58 PM
Mine is nickname a buddy of mine gave me back in Elementary School.

repsychler
April 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
Mine was originally a name of a character in a video game. I thought it was an interesting play on words and its weird enough that it's not taken.
It's pronounced 'recycler' (re-psych-ler)

MNnaloxone
April 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
MN=Minnesota
naloxone = generic name for Narcan, the drug of choice for morphine/heroin overdose, with unusual method of admin. I'm a clinical pharmacist.

armedandsafe
April 27, 2006, 02:45 PM
Back when we first started fighting th "It's a Crime, Bill," I closed up my company and started a newsletter. "Armed and Safe" worked well and I've kept it going since.

Pops

xring44
April 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
xring44, thats how many x wives I have.:neener:

Actually, its the point on the target that my bullets are supposed to strike when I am shooting my .44, unfortunately all do not always land there.:eek:

Jack Burton
April 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
This seems like a good place for a first post...

What can I say...the movie cracked me up...I'm a sucker for one liners!! :D

Steve 48
April 27, 2006, 03:19 PM
When I started surfing the web and posting messages, I was 48 and my first name is Steve. Steve 48

Deanimator
April 27, 2006, 03:22 PM
From the horror movie "Reanimator", about a guy who brings dead bodies back to life.

I'm more interested in the opposite process...

duckslayer
April 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
I like to hunt ducks, but it would be more appropriate if my screen name was duckmisser :)

Working Man
April 27, 2006, 03:25 PM
I work between 60 to 80 hrs a week (sometimes more) and access THR from
work, hence the name.

Carl N. Brown
April 27, 2006, 03:26 PM
You would not believe me if I told you.

00blkgt
April 27, 2006, 03:34 PM
From the local car forums here in VA. I own a black 2000 Mustang GT that has some aftermarket goodies on it.
J:D

redloki
April 27, 2006, 03:53 PM
I got the red part of my name from being a redhead. I am big into history and genealogy and my last name traces back to the 6th century Scandinavian. In researching this I read quite a bit on the old norse gods. I ran across the norse god Loki and found him to be an intriguing fellow. I was looking for a message board handle about the same time. I suppose that is how I came up with it.

Rockrivr1
April 27, 2006, 04:01 PM
It's the abbreviated name of an F-4 squadron I was in when in the Navy. VF-161 Rock Rivers (Also called Chargers). Most people think it's because I like rifles from Rock River Arms or I live in some mid western state. Actually I do like Rock River rifles. It's what I use to shoot Highpower.

Foxtrot427
April 27, 2006, 04:18 PM
A song. Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo

the number is my favorite engine displacement.

proud2deviate
April 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
Years ago, I was signing up for a hotmail account whilst listening to MDFMK's Torpedoes. I was becoming rather frustrated, because every screen name I could think of had already been taken a thousand times over. Just when I was about to give up, I hear Sasha whisper in my ear, "Be Proud To Deviate. . ."

I was, and it stuck. Still walking the road less taken all these years later:)

1911Ron
April 27, 2006, 04:26 PM
Well lessee i like 1911s and my name is Ron hmm works for me:D

#shooter
April 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
My name does not describe who I am, but what I wish to achieve. If I have my glasses on of course.:D

kaiserworks
April 27, 2006, 05:05 PM
Well, the Kaiser Steel Works was a famous defense manufacturing facility near here during WWII. Since I'm in the manufacturing biz and more importantly, my dogs name is Kaiser, I thought 'Kaiserworks' to be appropriate.

jagdpanzer347
April 27, 2006, 05:12 PM
I combined two of my interests: military history and Mustangs. Jagdpanzer is German for hunting tank. A 347 cubic inch V8 is a popular stroker engine based on the venerable Ford 302 small block.

-jagdpanzer

Lo.Com.Denom
April 27, 2006, 06:18 PM
It's an old song by Cop Shoot Cop. It was just running through my head when it was time to choose my handle. Boring, but true!

Pork Fat
April 27, 2006, 07:08 PM
I like to eat. I like cooking shows. Emeril Lagasse's second most used catchphrase after "BAM!" is "PORK FAT RULES!". All the tacticool names were taken, went for comfort food instead. MMMMMM-Bacon!

O-neg
April 27, 2006, 07:10 PM
O- Negative is my blood type. On my dog tags its O-neg.

AJ Dual
April 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
It's boring, and dumb… I warned you.

I used to just post under my given name, but my surname is Polish/German and somewhat long. Others would butcher my name on purpose in replies to save keystrokes...

All the nicknames I had in school were either dumb, unwanted, or obscene.

Way back in the '90s when I sold PC's wholesale to mom-n-pop PC stores, (when there still was such a thing) my co-worker always thought it was funny whenever I said "So you'd like dual floppy drives?" to a customer configuring a PC, instead of simply saying "two". (dates me a tad even if I didn't admit to this being the 90's…)

He then assumed anyone with the name Andrew naturally had the middle initial of "J.", for Andrew Jackson, I guess... So he called me "AJ Dual". It was the only nickname I could think of, and for some reason, even though it was hardly ever used, even by my co-worker, it's in my head as a name I'll reply to automaticaly when I see it.

People think AJ Dual means all sorts of things, that I'm an Indian (the country) where Ayjay, AJ, Aijay is a common name. Or that I fancy myself the "dual gunslinger", or a dueler, etc. LOL.

1wildbill
April 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
In no particular order: William is my middle name. All the Bills in my family have been wild (beleive me!), I am just 1 of them. And I like wild bill hickock, he was a "gun-guy" too.

Yakko
April 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
I was working in a small rent-to-own store, there were three employees, when we were told by our parent company to change our login names to the computer. Animaniacs was playing on the big screen we had on display. My boss, the shortest of the bunch went with "Wakko", I was christened "Yakko" and the biggest of us was "Dot."

Barbara
April 27, 2006, 07:50 PM
My real name is Raul.

Impala
April 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
Impala: (n) "Aepyceros melampus": an African antelope with ridged curved
horns that moves with enormous leaps; see also: 1967 Chevy
Impala, a badass classic car that moves with enormous acceleration.

Thefabulousfink
April 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
A long time ago, back when AOL instant mesenger had just come out I was looking for a screen-name. So I walked over to my dads complete set of 1963 World Book Encyclopedia (the Moon landing hadn't even happend yet), I grabbed a random volume (F), and opened it to a random page. On that random page was a short biograph for a man named Fink, Mike... and thus Thefabulousfink was born.:neener:

sacp81170a
April 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
SAC - Strategic Air Command, P - parachute qualified, 81170 - security supervisor AFSC, A - Air Base Ground Defense qualified

Erik Jensen
April 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
I was born with it. :neener:

Princecookie
April 27, 2006, 09:06 PM
MY present dog Prince, (Basenji/Vizsla). My last dog Cookie, (Terrier mix).

distra
April 27, 2006, 09:20 PM
For you SciFi fans, Distra -> "Master" in Go'auld :neener:

_N4Z_
April 27, 2006, 09:40 PM
Well my name is an abbreviation for Nazgul. Firearms are but one hobby of which I am able to indulge somewhat. Online computer games is another. 10 years ago I began playing league games with a group of guys and our team name leaned toward ghosts and such. Being a Tolkien fan from my teen years I snagged Nazgul as my name. In 10 years of playing the online our names evolved a bit, one syllable names are easier to say over comms, that's about it.

Battlefield 2 is the current rage for us... There's a shocker.

the 22 junkie
April 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
Battlefield 2 is the current rage for us... There's a shocker.

If mine worked rright now that's what I'd be playing. :(
Until then I'm stuck with vehicle-less COD2.

grimjaw
April 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
A few reasons.

- I don't smile, obviously. OK, I smile nowadays, but when the nickname was birthed about 20 years ago I didn't smile as often.
- I tend to get a serious look when I concentrate.
- It's a mudged name taken from a fantasy role-playing campaign that we used to fiddle with as kids.
- I thought it sounded cool.

jmm

ugaarguy
April 27, 2006, 10:02 PM
Mine cam from my AIM screen name, which has origins in;
Uga - UGA, The University of Georgia and their solid white English Bulldog mascot Uga, who by the way is the coolest mascot EVER.
AR - The AR-15 rifle, as in my Colt SP1 AR-15 that was my first center fire rifle. So, yeah, I'll always have a soft spot for the poodle shooter, much as I love my new FAL.
Guy - well I think thats obvious.

Stevie-Ray
April 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
Mine is a nickname given me about 12 years ago by one of my instructors at the Rouge. My name is Steve Rehahn which is pronounced Ray-hon. Most everybody butchered it, (Ray-han, Ree-han, etc.) but it seemed everybody could eventually get the first syllable right. My instructor ran with that and simply called me Stevie-Ray. It preceeded me wherever I went through the Rouge. I walked into Ford's Powerhouse the first day of a new job back in 1996 and introduced myself and one of the guys said, "Oh, you're Stevie-Ray." I still don't know if I was famous or infamous.

Autolycus
April 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
I was just a fan of Tecumseh. Thats it.

silverbull
April 28, 2006, 12:29 AM
silverbull1983,

silver, favorite pm
bull, favorite critter,
1983 yob

heypete
April 28, 2006, 05:53 AM
Whenever someone greets me, they consistently say "Hey, Pete!"

Even people on the phone who I've never met, and just mentioned my name (i.e. customer service agents, etc.) to will say that.

Nobody ever says "Hello, Pete", "How ya' doin', Pete?", "Cheerio, mate!", etc. Very odd.

Occasionally my girlfriend'll say "Hey, hot stuff!", but I don't think that'd go over quite as well on a public forum. :D

Clean97GTI
April 28, 2006, 06:14 AM
its my car although its lately been relegated to beater/daily driver status and isn't so clean anymore.

I'll pick up a project beetle soon and the GTI will be clean again.

CombatArmsUSAF
April 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
I am a Combat Arms/Small Arms Instructor and my branch of service is the USAF

Pebcac
April 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
It's an acronym for "problem exists between computer and chair." Working in the IT industry, I see this problem frequently, including in between my computer and my chair. ;)

MountainPeak
April 28, 2006, 12:11 PM
It's where I live.

Echo Tango
April 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
Echo Tango.........stands for Evil Taylor a moniker placed upon me by Nightcrawler, apparently he believes I am evil in certain respects.

fiVe
April 28, 2006, 12:55 PM
Mine is quite simple. The first letter of my last name is a V, which is a Roman Numeral 5 (I mean V)----thus fiVe.

Also, look here (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=924842#post924842).

nitesite
April 28, 2006, 03:27 PM
During one assignment I served in the Regular Army, my TOE assigned weapon was an M-14 with night vision device mounted on it. My Commanding officer thought it was a pretty neat gadget and he got to calling me "Night Sight". Then my squad and platoon picked it up. I grew tired of trying to correct them... "It's a 'night VISION' device." So I ended up on the internet as nitesite.

entropy
April 28, 2006, 04:35 PM
Dust off that old dictionary- I find it fits. Plus it's the first one I thought of that took besides my TNT user name. which is 'quim' . It's fun when I beat some gal at trivia and she comes over to my table and says. 'Are you quim?':evil:

cavman
April 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
Got mine from my nickname, derivative from my surname which is pronounced the same as the County in central Ireland.

cavman

jerkyman45
April 28, 2006, 05:22 PM
two parter:

jerky man, i make my own jerky and its damn good stuff. some of the best ive ever had, makes me a little money occasionally too.

45, as in .45 ACP

TheBigBulgarian
April 28, 2006, 05:32 PM
I am big (6'9'' 330lbs.) and I come from the land of the Bulgars, Bulgaria. hence TheBigBulgarian.
People usually call me Big Z but that is always taken so I came up with my current nickname.

double0757
April 28, 2006, 06:06 PM
When I join the Air Force my Pilot tranning bodies could not pronounce my first name well. So they try different nicknames, none stuck until they used my name abreviation O.O. (Double O). Double O stuck till this day. I also fly
B757 as of currently. DoubleO757

Double O

carnaby
April 28, 2006, 07:37 PM
Mine's from a Monty Python sketch, "The Bookshop (http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~jamie/.Refs/.Footnotes/.MontyPython/bookshop.orig.txt)." Here's a taste:

Or "Christmas Carol" with a q?
C: No, definitely not.
F: Sorry to trouble you.
C: Not at all.
F: I wonder if you have of "Rarnaby Budge"?
C: No, as I say, we're right out of Edmund Wells.
F: No, not Edmund Wells - Charles Dickens.
C: Charles Dickens?
F: Yes.
C: You mean "Barnaby Rudge".
F: No, "Rarnaby Budge" by Charles Dickens - that's Dikkens with
two k's, the well-known Dutch author.
C: No, no - we don't have "Rarnaby Budge" by Charles Dikkens with
two k's, the well-known Dutch author, and perhaps to save time
I should add right away that we don't have "Carnaby Fudge" by
Darles Tikkens, nor "Stickwick Stapers" by Miles Pikkens with
four m's and a silent q. Why don't you try the chemist?
F: I have - they sent me here.
C: Did they.
F: I wonder if you have "The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys
Stoat-pamphlet and Her Intrepid Spaniel Stig among the Giant
Pygmies of Corsica", Volume Two?
C: No, no, we don't have that one - funny, we've got quite a lot
of books here.
F: Yes, haven't you.

and so forth.

mordechaianiliewicz
April 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
All you would have to do is scroll to my 1st thread I ever posted on THR. Let's just say Mordi is a personal hero of mine, and proof that citizens can effectively challenge an army.

Bones3
April 28, 2006, 10:12 PM
When I got out of the Navy in '62 I was 6'4" & weighed 140.
You can take it from there.:eek:

Molon Labe
April 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
After my mom took the cookies out of the oven she would yell Molon Labe! (come and get 'em!).

Dusty Rusty
April 28, 2006, 11:26 PM
My nickname was "Rusty" when I was growing up. I was named for both Mom and Dad and his name was Russell. I was a real tomboy! Dusty is the name of my beloved collie. I was looking for a good CAS nick and this seemed to fit.

HammerBite
April 29, 2006, 12:38 AM
I was registering for some forum or other and, when trying to dream up a name, observed the way my Mauser HSc had chewed up the web of my hand earlier at the range. Thus HammerBite.

Bigreno
April 29, 2006, 12:50 AM
Don't realy have much of a story about my name. Reno is my Rottie and he and I are both a bit on the large side.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1350/reno0061jr.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reno0061jr.jpg)

Boom-stick
April 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
Army of Darkness????

+ all the good ones were taken:mad:

LoneCoon
April 29, 2006, 04:07 PM
LoneCoon is simply the combination of 'Lone" and "Raccoon."

Lone becuase I live alone and don't have many friends; 'Coon' because I really like raccoons. They're clever little critters and fun to watch.

tsp45acp
April 29, 2006, 05:11 PM
My initials and my fav cal. Thus----tsp45acp! Tracy

MrTwigg
April 29, 2006, 05:59 PM

I get a lot of mail addressed to "The Twig Guy" or "Mr. Twigg" so the post office lady started calling me Mr.Twigg and the name stuck.

Hemicuda
April 29, 2006, 06:03 PM
An original '70 Hemi'Cuda convertible, 4 speed, plum-crazy purple, white to, white stripe, white interior... fully restored...

shark40sw
April 29, 2006, 08:40 PM
my personal gun for a long time was my Glock 22, hence the 40sw and I had an encounter with a tiger shark while diving one time (hence the tattoo of one on my ---) :evil:

lazarus
April 29, 2006, 09:09 PM
Favorite author, Heinlein's protagonist..."Lazarus" (Long)

Moondoggie
April 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
My off duty pastimes at my first duty station in the Marines (Camp Pendleton) were surfing/scuba diving, circa 1971.

"Moondoggie" was a whacked-out, totally laid-back surfer dude in a movie that I saw. It's been available on every site that I've registered at.

Represents my whimsical side as opposed to my more obvious hyper work ethic serious side. Even amongst other career Marines I was considered something of a hardguy. The rules is the rules. "A Marine on duty has no friends."

It's also my CB handle in my 18 wheeler.

There still beats the heart of a 16 year old in here, somewhere.

Boxerrider
April 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
BMW motorcycles who's engines have horizontally opposed cylinders are nicknamed Boxers. I ride one, although not nearly as much as I used to since I live really close to work and hardly ever go anywhere without Dear-Sweet-Wife, Boy-Child, & Girl-Child.

Stevelyn - funny, my dad's name is Steve and my mom's is Evelyn.

outlawgunslnger
April 29, 2006, 09:27 PM
My friends called me outlaw when I was growing up. Wanted to be in law enforcement, so they thought it was funny. Gunslnger without the I in the middle; omitted the I because there was someone else with that already and I have always been a fan of old westerns

Overman
April 29, 2006, 09:30 PM
"Overman" is a translation of "Übermensch" (sometimes translated as "Superman"). It is a term coined by Friedrich Nietzsche. According to Nietzche, an Übermensch is someone who has overcome nihilism, overcome himself, rejected society's morals and codes, and lives by his own morality.

ultimatesixgun
April 29, 2006, 09:49 PM
Ultimatesixgun, My Lab "Jackson" AKC papered name,

"Sho Me's Ultimate Six Gun" (Jackson)

His dad who won every dog show he ever entered and was a "Champion" was,

"Nimloth's Ultimate Six Gun" (Ruger)

My dog (Jackson) looks exactly like (Ruger) but I never showed him, he is the original style lab with the shorter legs, broad thick head, broad chest and very powerful! 85-90 lbs. This is what a lab is supposed to be.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/gnewsom/Jackson.jpg

USG

FIRE COP
April 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
firefighter..turned fire investigator...turned state LEO...retired= FIRE COP

Diamondback6
April 30, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well, since I'm the new guy, this seems like as good a way as any to introduce myself.

The first part of my handle originates from my ex-boss. Given my "Texas rattlesnake" personality, her pet name for me was "her pet rattlesnake." Between her and a couple people I used to game with, they came up with my nickname based on a coincidence of the largest and most dangerous of Texas rattlesnakes, one of Colt's revolvers, and my preferred weapon in a space-combat simulation. The "6" suffix, an alternate when someone else already has my handle, is a reference to the command designator in an infantry squad--appropriate since, when road-tripping with the aforementioned college-buddy gamers, I was the one to make snap decisions about problem-solving when the small-scale SHTF.

Heard a lot about you folks on other boards, and figured I'd check things out. So far, looks like I'll fit in OK...

Gun Geezer
April 30, 2006, 09:19 AM
My folks gave it to me!:D

iamkris
April 30, 2006, 10:46 AM
Because I am...

Don't ask me how I got my CAS name...Thaddeus Muckenfuss...there was too much scotch involved

PX15
April 30, 2006, 10:48 AM
When I was hired by the FAA in May 1969 I was issued the "personal identifier" PX.. All of our sector transmissions were taped and any communication you had between other controllers, facilities, etc. were ended by giving your "initials".. That way when somebody screwed up, or a mistake was made, or any other reason they could find out who was involved very easily. Also any time you took over a sector position you had to "sign on" verbally with your initials. So every transmission you made until someone relieved you was taped.

My two best friends were: DX, and TX. Generally it would have been "Papa Xray", or "Delta Xray", or "Tango-Xray" in such transmissions.

When I signed up for THR two letter id's were not allowed, so I added the 15 just off the top of my head. On other forums I use PX, PX15 or Laserlips. A co-worker gave me the nickname of "Laserlips" commenting I could talk so fast that if you could tie my tongue to my shoelaces I would be in Dallas by sundown. (We worked in Hilliard, Fl. at JaxARTCC)..

JP/:)

silliman89
April 30, 2006, 10:51 AM
college and year of graduation.

XavierBreath
April 30, 2006, 11:15 AM
When I bring home another gun and try to explain to the wife-mate why I bought it, she says "Xavier Breath".

XLMiguel
April 30, 2006, 12:09 PM
My name is Mike, I live in Virginia.

However, I'm moving to New Mexico, so maybe it's almost time for a SASS name like "The Scorpion Kid"?:neener:

apps45
April 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
My son purchased a Glock 357SIG what does SIG stand for and how can .357 be larger than .40 I'm confussed

Stiletto Null
April 30, 2006, 01:16 PM
.357 Sig is basically .40S&W necked down for a 9mm bullet. It's not "bigger", but it is a bit higher pressure (I think) and tosses those bullets out at pretty high velocities.

Not quite .357 Magnum in a semiautomatic pistol, but it beats 9mm.

Janos Dracwlya
April 30, 2006, 01:45 PM
Mine is the very short form of my old SCA name. My SCA persona claimed to be a bastard great grandson of Vlad Dracula (Dragwlya). :eek: I got a lot of funny looks from that, which was the idea. :D

Ric
April 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
When my grandson was starting to talk he would'ne say Grandpa Ric or Grandma D (my wifes name) so when he wanted to come over he would tell his mother " I want to go to D-Ric's house"
So we always thought that if we really are one flesh then together we were D-Ric
902 is our anniversary.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/867/image0019um.th.jpg (http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0019um.jpg)

Mr Mario
April 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
Well my name is Mario, and some friends and I were having a heated discution about 7.62x39 vs 223 and every time I would say somthing thay would reply OK Mr Mario and it stuck kind of a smart azz thing I ges.

White Horseradish
April 30, 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, mine's a bit hard to explain, being a Russian idiom. It is also a partial title of a book I just finished reading when I signed up here. The book was "White Horseradish in a Hemp Green Field"

Johnny_Yuma
April 30, 2006, 02:17 PM
and I rode through the West.

Johnny Yuma

thewheelsonthebus
April 30, 2006, 02:52 PM
mine was simple! i make the wheels on the bus go round and round. and stop and turn and on and on. Shop Foreman by profession.

Heraclid
April 30, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm a bit into history, especially the really old stuff, and one of my first forays into the online world was posting to a forum having to do with some ancient Greek stuff. Basically it just stuck and I've used it ever since. The term Heraclid is a synonym for Dorian or Doric basically. Mythology has it that they were the descendants of the hero Hercules, or Heracles. They figure prominently in Greek history. For more, see the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclids

Also it is the name of the first Protestant ruler in Eastern Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioan_Iacob_Heraclid

PressCheck
April 30, 2006, 03:46 PM
Cause I do it a lot.

Hal8000
April 30, 2006, 03:56 PM
was replaced by Hal9000, the most reliable computer ever made (ask Dave!).
Hal8000 is old and now obsolete!

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do...
I'm half crazy..
all for the love of you...
It wont be a stylish marriage..
I can't afford ..
a carrige...

I feel much better now! :)

Sewerman
April 30, 2006, 04:04 PM
I make the money I use to buy guns unstopping sewers. There is no trouble like toilet trouble....:D

jeepmor
April 30, 2006, 04:24 PM
I used to 4wheel and eat and sleep CJ jeeps a few years back, so jeepmor became my nickname on posting boards. Plus, it's the only nickname I've ever used that wasn't taken by already when I get on a new board. So in all likelihood, you see it used somewhere else, it's still me.

jeepmor

Offwhite
April 30, 2006, 04:49 PM
Mine is actually a nickmane that I've been called for since I was about 11 or twelve. It came about because I grew up pretty much the only white kid around but I never acted hip-hop-ish but I definately wasn't a little nerdy kid either, and one year a couple of the other kids on my basketball team were trying to figure me out & they said, "well you're white, but not really. You're kinda off white."

I've also been called Big Worm, White Devil Black Jesus (this one was explained to me that I was feared by the White community but embraced by the Black community), 1 Crazy Honkey, and my dad was call me ****head (pronounced Sha-thee-ad) since I was like 13 or 14.

Run&Shoot
April 30, 2006, 06:58 PM
I like to run (4-8 miles now days, hopefull half and full marathons again after I get done with partime college classes and other personal obligations). And I like to shoot, especially pistol and M1 Garand. Thus, Run&Shoot.

Texas Tass
April 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
as in Smar*Tass! Given to me by my Father, many years ago.

xd9fan
April 30, 2006, 09:24 PM
simple. the only handgun that shoots where I'm lookin. Like a lightsaber to a jedi............

AndyC
April 30, 2006, 09:31 PM
First name and first initial of my surname. Mr Original, that's me :rolleyes:

Skeptic
April 30, 2006, 09:37 PM
One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

Pretty much sums me up.....

Jubei
May 1, 2006, 02:39 PM
While living in Hawaii while my father was stationed at Pearl, I used to watch a Japanese television show called "Yagyu Family Conspiracy". The hero was Yagyu Jubei, played by Sonny Chiba. That show got me interested in swords & knives, and eventually other weapons as well.

Jubei

MD_Willington
May 1, 2006, 03:08 PM
It's written on my ID & Birth certificate...

El Barto
May 1, 2006, 03:42 PM
I got mine from the great criminal mastermind:

Devildawg
May 1, 2006, 03:50 PM
For the Marine mascot, teufelhund, name given to us in WWI by Germans who thought we fought like dogs from hell, especially since the French were retreating, as always. I served 1965-69, Chu Lai, RVN Oct '67 - Nov '68. Semper Fi.

Biker
May 1, 2006, 04:15 PM
It's what I am, everywhere I go. Fact is, it was between Biker and The Iron Brockwurst.:cool:
Biker

Nicky Santoro
May 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
The name comes from the Joe Pesci character in "Casino" with whom I share a certain response to transgressors.

GreyMauser
May 1, 2006, 05:41 PM
It's a play on the Fritz Leiber "Gray Mouser" sword and fantasy series-- "Ill Met in Lankhmar" etc that I was reading in the 50's and 60's when I first developed my interest in Mausers.

pharmer
May 1, 2006, 06:05 PM
When I started posting on the internet I was a pharmaceutical rep.

Berek
May 1, 2006, 06:18 PM
Back in High school, I was part of the SCA. During one of my sword bouts, someone made the comment that it looked like half of one of my hands was missing, due to my fighting style. That reminded me of a character in one of the book series, The Thomas Convenant series. My first name is Thomas and the main character's fantasy-land twin was named Berek Halfhand, White Gold Wielder. Someone started calling me that and it stuck.

Spec ops Grunt
May 1, 2006, 06:37 PM
Points to sig.

waterhouse
May 1, 2006, 06:57 PM
Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.

bigun15
May 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
It was for a video game on the internet. I discovered that "big" and "gun" could share a G and that would be my name with my age at the end. Only problem with that idea is that now I'm older than I was when I made the account and it's wrong.

telcontar
May 1, 2006, 08:20 PM
I am a really big fan of the Lord of the Rings. Telcontar is the household name of
Aragorn.

murphy54
May 2, 2006, 10:45 AM
I came up with this name while reading about murhy and his pack of knoledge

mormonsniper
May 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
I was shooting (scoped AR15 at 200 yards, standing) at the local range here and a fella watching asked me if I worked for the local po-po. He thought I should. Lucky shot at a stick of tannerite.

I am also a Latter-day Saint.

Great conversation starter! I consider myself an average marksman. My eyes are too old now for really good shooting. I was never a military/law enforcement marksman. I did enjoy whipping the MPs in Korea with their own .45s in a qualification match though!

Blessings to all,
ms

flashman70
May 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
Took the surname of my favorite fictional character - Harry Flashman - and added the year I got married.

P5 Guy
May 2, 2006, 11:06 PM
Is my carry pistol.:)

Legionnaire
May 2, 2006, 11:16 PM
I'd just seen "Gladiator" when I signed on for the first time, and "Praetorian" sounded a bit to pompous for me. But I liked my Latin sig line, so there you go.

DarthBubba
May 3, 2006, 08:51 PM
My Now Ex-Girlfriend always called me an Evil Redneck Bastard.
Who is more evil than Lord Vader.
And so combine Star Wars and you might be a Redneck if and you get DarthBubba.

DarthBubba:D

Vitamin G
May 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
My name is Greg. I don't even remember how i got this... I know I've had it since high school, but then it becomes fuzzy.
(Years later i did a quick google search of "Vitamin G" and aside from finding all my posts on various message boards, I found out that there really is a Vitamin G... it causes impotence!

God has a sense of irony, for sure.

Guntalk
May 4, 2006, 03:12 PM
www.guntalk.com

panzermk2
May 4, 2006, 03:27 PM
I was a Tanker in the CAV over in Germany. the very first time I went online many years ago panzermkV and panthermkII were taken so I picked the third best tank of all time and have used ever since for everything

silverlance
May 4, 2006, 03:42 PM
i was fifteen (1995) and what i thought was a cool handle (Lord Raptor) had already been taken by the sysop of the bbs that i was about to be booted off of. I liked silver (ag), and I had fanciful notions of riding about on a (albeit cyborg) horse poking about a lance, so there.

after about 11 years of d*ldo jokes at my expense, however, I've thought about getting another moniker. problem is, i still like silver, and....

EddieCoyle
May 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
One of the first forums I signed up for had a buddy list with the title:

"The Friends of (Your user name)".

I picked the user name EddieCoyle so that my list would say "The Friends of Eddie Coyle (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070077/)". I've been using it ever since.

MachIVshooter
May 4, 2006, 11:43 PM
I had recently purchased a 700 LVSF in .17 Rem. and fallen in love with it just before I joined this forum. Since it was on my mind and handloads with 20 grain pills are traveling almost exactly 4 times the speed of sound.........

SRYnidan
May 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
Shoshin
Ryu
Yudanshaki

Is my black belt association

Nidan

Was my rank when I joined this forum.

pbass
May 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
Played a Fender Precision Bass for a living for a LONG time.

Mousegun
May 5, 2006, 06:51 PM
Kel-Tec P3-AT is just that and it is my primary. I believe in shot placement.:)

Gordon Fink
May 5, 2006, 08:40 PM
Back when I traveled imaginary lands in my youth, one of my companions had trouble pronouncing my name. All he could manage was “Gordon Fink.” The byname stuck and has since served as an occasional alias.

~G. Fink

If you enjoyed reading about "How did you come up with your name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!