Tribute to a sniper

PDA

PinnedAndRecessed
April 27, 2006, 01:40 AM
http://oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Tribute to a sniper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don't Tread On Me
April 27, 2006, 02:06 AM
Awesome.

What a great American. I love true stories of great American marksmen giving the enemy hell. From the first patriots nailing British commanders at long range to US servicemen hitting Germans beyond the trenches. It seems every enemy is always astounded by what they experienced.

Makes me feel all warm inside.

ReadyontheRight
April 27, 2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for that.

1 old 0311
April 27, 2006, 06:18 AM
He had guts, brains, and talent. That was a deadly combo for anyone on the wrong side of his scope.

Kevin

DKSuddeth
April 27, 2006, 06:35 AM
Wow, awesome stuff.

semper fi Gunny Hathcock.

Mizzle187
April 27, 2006, 10:59 AM
Great thread! They mentioned that Canadian sniper team the other day on Future weapons that broke his record for longest shot.

72Rover
April 27, 2006, 01:45 PM
Got an autographed copy of "Marine Sniper" (1988) right here. Met Carlos at a gun show years ago....

Unfortunately, the follow-up book by the same author (Charles Henderson) has yet to grab my interest. Dunno, it's just not as good a read....

Rezin
April 27, 2006, 06:49 PM
I believe we have a Marine in Iraq now, who has broken Hathcocks record...............

Jaim03
April 27, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for posting such a cool tribute to an amazing Marine...

Stevie-Ray
April 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
Very nice. Marine Sniper is still one of my favorite books.

offthepaper
April 27, 2006, 10:22 PM
That was great.
What men like C.H. have done to change the face of modern warfare cannot be overstated. It's great to see a memorial to this great Marine. It's always good to be reminded of the sacrifices some have made to serve their country.

Hooligan
April 27, 2006, 11:45 PM
Got an autographed copy of "Marine Sniper" (1988) right here. Met Carlos at a gun show years ago....

Very cool.

I read that book awhile ago, I need to buy it and read it again. Very good read. He was a great American.

Rob1035
April 28, 2006, 12:20 AM
I believe we have a Marine in Iraq now, who has broken Hathcocks record...............

That's the rumor I've heard from returned servicemen

roscoe
April 28, 2006, 02:06 AM
I want to know if that story about shooting through the enemy sniper's scope is true. That's a pretty incredible story.

Ala Dan
April 28, 2006, 06:37 AM
Very deserving tribute to a fine United States Marine. His memory remains
very close too my heart~! Many thanks for sharing.

Q-Lock
April 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
roscoe wrote: "I want to know if that story about shooting through the enemy sniper's scope is true. That's a pretty incredible story."

Yes the story is true. He and his spotter Burke saw a glint of light in the jungle and before Carlos was sure what it was, he shot at it. He and Burke then went down towards the dead VC and found that Carlos had in fact shot through the scope of the rifle and into the VC's eye. Carlos supposedly wanted the VC's rifle sent back home so he could keep it...it got lost in the transport though, so he never saw it again.

I think I remembered all of the story correctly. Been a few months since I read the book.

Amazing book, you should definitely pick it up.

72Rover...very nice. I'm jealous.

czhen
April 28, 2006, 11:09 AM
Superb, a small tribute for a finest soldier.

I will pick up his book today.

CZhen,FL

GrammatonCleric
April 29, 2006, 01:55 AM
Men like him make me proud to be an American.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tribute to a sniper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!