Australian soldier shoots self

PDA

Hatchett
April 27, 2006, 05:02 AM
Supposedly by "accident" while cleaning gun.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/04/22/1145344306978.html?from=top5

If you enjoyed reading about "Australian soldier shoots self" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AmbulanceDriver
April 27, 2006, 05:30 AM
For this soldier's family. His death is truly tragic. However, "accident' is just a touchy-feely word to avoid the harsh reality. He was either a) grossly negligent or b) suicidal.

However, Defence Minister Brendan Nelson rejected speculation of suicide.

"The soldier was simply handling his weapon and maintaining his weapon as soldiers are required to do and for some unexplained reason the firearm discharged and the bullet unfortunately entered the soldier's head," Nelson said.

Now, I'm not in the military. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the disassembly/reassembly of whatever weapon this soldier might have been using.

However, I can just about guarantee the first instruction he received in regards to maintaining or cleaning his weapon began with: "First, make certain that the weapon is UNLOADED!"

I can also guarantee that nowhere in the cleaning/handling/maintaining instructions was there a line that states "After failing to ascertain that this weapon is unloaded, point weapon at your own head before beginning this procedure."

I'm sorry if I come across as a cynical SOB, but I am sick and :cuss: tired of these *CENSORED* wimps in government and media. Tell the :cuss: truth for once.

Again, I'm sorry that this wife and kids have to go on without Daddy. That's a true tragedy. Now if this government official has determined that this soldier was not suicidal, that's great. So the only thing left is gross negligence.

HUZI
April 27, 2006, 05:34 AM
If any one is interested it was a Browning hi-power.

ReadyontheRight
April 27, 2006, 05:44 AM
It sounds like an unfortunate accident. Best wishes to his family.

"His death reminds us all of the dangers that our servicemen and women face in service of the nation. The entire army is saddened by his death."

It would have been good if the General had also used the occasion to remind all of us to make sure weapons are unloaded for cleaning and to observe safe gun handling.

Spiphel Rike
April 27, 2006, 06:14 AM
This recently in....
Today the defence minister said he wasn't cleaning it at all. The government also stuffed up bringing the poor guy home. They shipped the wrong body over :fire:

I've been stuck telling people that it's pretty darn difficult to shoot yourself while cleaning your weapon. I've told people that A) he did not follow procedures or B) that it was something else.

"It would have been good if the General had also used the occasion to remind all of us to make sure weapons are unloaded for cleaning and to observe safe gun handling."

Gun handling in the Australian army is taken pretty seriously, we even have a separate offence for an ND, and the punishment is harsh as hell.

Lest we forget. RIP

Janitor
April 27, 2006, 07:08 AM
Truely a tragedy for his family and friends.

for some unexplained reason the firearm discharged
I'm going to hazard a guess at an explanation. I'm thinking that maybe somebody pulled the trigger.

/j

MD_Willington
April 27, 2006, 02:52 PM
...for some unexplained reason the firearm discharged

It was the negligent discharge fairy, right? :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Australian soldier shoots self" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!