Found a 9mm shell at work. Everyone flipped out.

PDA

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 12:14 PM
At work last night, someone found a 9mm shell casing. I work at a Best Buy in a suburb of San Diego. I don't see what the big deal was. It would have been more of a concern to me if we had HEARD the gunshot. It might just have fallen out of someone's pocket.

If you had found it would you turn it in? There's a small chance that it might be cause for soncern...i guess.

But most likely someone decided to go buy a DVD on their way home from the range.

Another funny thing about the situation is our loss prevention guy was examining it and one girl said, "I wonder if it's been fired." (Remember, there's no bullet in it and I could see the little dimple on the bottom.) The L.P. guy holds it up to his nose, smells it, and says, "No it hasn't. It still smells like gunpowder."

I walked away and went back to work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found a 9mm shell at work. Everyone flipped out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SolaScriptura139
April 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
That's funny and sad at the same time. I don't know why people would flip out about it, like you said, unless they actually heard a shot. I don't know if I would have turned it in, probably just throw it away.

"I wonder if it's been fired." (Remember, there's no bullet in it and I could see the little dimple on the bottom.) The L.P. guy holds it up to his nose, smells it, and says, "No it hasn't. It still smells like gunpowder."

That's just hilarious. :D

xMetal
April 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
Another funny thing about the situation is our loss prevention guy was examining it and one girl said, "I wonder if it's been fired." (Remember, there's no bullet in it and I could see the little dimple on the bottom.) The L.P. guy holds it up to his nose, smells it, and says, "No it hasn't. It still smells like gunpowder."

LOL. People can be so unintentionally hilarious.

mr_dove
April 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
wow, that last part is pretty funny. People need more training.

Dollar An Hour
April 27, 2006, 12:37 PM
That's funny and sad at the same time.

My thoughts exactly. :(

Chipperman
April 27, 2006, 12:38 PM
It would probably be a bad idea to start dropping fired cases around the store once every couple of weeks. :evil:

Mainsail
April 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
That's why I stopped wearing my Doc Martins to the range. I'd walk out with two or three spent cartridges stuck in the lug soles. I'd later find them in my truck or house.

noresttill
April 27, 2006, 12:42 PM
Sometime 9mm casings get stick in between the tread of my boots. If your still looking for a reason to give them, that is.

Jesse

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 12:43 PM
When they find spent casings, why do people assume that there was a crime committed?

Oh well. They do, so I guess it's a good idea to make sure you're not spreading brass all over the place.

mr_dove
April 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
Sounds like some fun experiments. I have about 4000 45acp brass in my reloading closet. Now I just need to figure out a way to observe the fun that ensues.

Crosshair
April 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
Now you know what to do with your 22 Long rifle casings. Even better, I have a bucket of berdan primed 308 brass I could give you.:evil:

El Tejon
April 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, great, now 1,000 "brass fairies" are going to be leaving empties in Best Buy stores all over the USA.

anotherinkling
April 27, 2006, 12:59 PM
That's why I stopped wearing my Doc Martins to the range. I'd walk out with two or three spent cartridges stuck in the lug soles.

Me, too--ha!:D It usually happens that I go somewhere with tile or linoleum floors and find myself clicking like I'm wearing tap shoes. Funny stuff...

Stiletto Null
April 27, 2006, 01:03 PM
I have a mostly-full shoebox of spent 8mm Mauser casings...:uhoh:

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 01:07 PM
I convinced that if they ever find something like that, they'd die of a brain aneurysm .

phonesysphonesys
April 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
Okay people what days of the week do we make Brass Fairy visits to Best
Buy.

I don't think the one in Denver West would get upset'

Phonephonesys

dleong
April 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
Personally, I think a randomly dropped 22LR case has the potential for causing more confusion/fun in a public place, as it is not immediately recognizable as a spent ammunition case.

Some time back, I stopped by a fast food outlet one evening on the way back from the range. As I pulled my wallet out from my jacket pocket, a spent 22LR case dropped onto the countertop; the order-taker merely handed it back to me and told me that part of my pen had broken off.

Nitrogen
April 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
I can beat that.

I had an old box of Federal cartridges on my desk. there were no rounds in it; I had used it to put pins and rubber bands in.

One of my coworkers went completely nonlinear. OH MY GOODNESS THERE ARE BULLETS IN HERE THERE ARE PROBABLY GUNS TOO OH NO I'M GOING TO DIE!

JoseM
April 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
"I wonder if it's been fired." (Remember, there's no bullet in it and I could see the little dimple on the bottom.) The L.P. guy holds it up to his nose, smells it, and says, "No it hasn't. It still smells like gunpowder."

ROFL....that's just ...well...man.

I guess it goes to that old saying, "It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Henry Bowman
April 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
Oh, great, now 1,000 "brass fairies" are going to be leaving empties in Best Buy stores all over the USA.I can't think of any other reason for walking into that den of thieves.

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 01:40 PM
Den of thieves? It's not that expensive. But then again, you don't have the employee discount. (5% above cost)

Seriously though...you're exactly right haha.

Zero_DgZ
April 27, 2006, 01:52 PM
I find brass in all sorts of strange places when I go home from the range. It's what I get for using autos (and in previous years, small caliber autos).

I've found spent brass in my pockets, in the cuffs of my pants, and I had one .22 casing slot itself right into my shoe. If I shake my range bag hard enough usually one or two casings will fall out, because it's got all kinds of pockets and folds and whatnot all over the front of it I keep my tools in.

Mikee Loxxer
April 27, 2006, 01:55 PM
Now I know what to do with all of those spent berdan primed rifle cases I have. Sprinkling around some 7.62 NATO or 7.62X 39 case would be a hoot.

busterbrown
April 27, 2006, 02:08 PM
xray machine found intact 223 round at Salt Lake City airport; probably rolled off kichen table. She was really upset at us. Fortunately, security & police were all gun enthusiasts and were really nice about it. Wife did get an official letter/reprimand from Homeland Security

citizen
April 27, 2006, 02:11 PM
Range trip - $68

DVD player - $87

Dropping brass at BB - Absolutely Priceless!!:p

dhoomonyou
April 27, 2006, 02:13 PM
After a range trip once I had to use the bathroom at a restaurant.
I'm near the urinal, unbuckle and a .45 shell case falls out (must have been between my belt and shirt).

Hits the tile and bounces across the floor.

I was alone at the time. BUT I could just imagine some of the looks I would have gotten.

MY response would have been "its loaded alright"

lucky_fool
April 27, 2006, 02:28 PM
Found a 9mm shell at work. Everyone flipped out.

I thought you meant you worked with the entire .45 side of the caliber debate. :neener:

'Card
April 27, 2006, 02:44 PM
Hey, don't make fun of the LP guy. He knows a lot about this stuff. He watches CSI.

Hawkmoon
April 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
xray machine found intact 223 round at Salt Lake City airport; probably rolled off kichen table. She was really upset at us. Fortunately, security & police were all gun enthusiasts and were really nice about it. Wife did get an official letter/reprimand from Homeland Security
You are fortunate to live in a free state. If that happened around here, she'd probably still be in jail.

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
Hey, don't make fun of the LP guy. He knows a lot about this stuff. He watches CSI.

You know what makes this a little more confusing? At one point, he pulls out his camera phone and says "It looks like it comes from something like this" and shows a picture of his handgun with bullets around it on a desk. Obviously he was trying to impress everyone. But if he shoots as a hobby, he should know that if the bullet is gone...it has probably been fired. Pretty simple concept.

SLCDave
April 27, 2006, 03:13 PM
I found a .38 Special case in my pocket one day at work. It fits perfectly over the lid of those cheap Bic pens. Anytime anyone asks to borrow a pen, that's the one they get. I've never had anyone forget to return it... ;)

TheArchDuke
April 27, 2006, 03:18 PM
haha that's pretty funny SLCDave.

By the way, your name reminds me of SLC punk which was actually a good movie. But that's off topic haha

wolf_from_wv
April 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
When I go to the range, often times the amount of brass I pick exceeds the container I have with me... One day, I used an empty clay pidgeon box. I used a piece of cardboard to cover the opening in the bottom, but it didn'y work very well............ Then, there was the time the bag tipped over in the bed of the truck... Quite a few calibers fit through the gap between the tailgate and the bed...

sm
April 27, 2006, 05:16 PM
Must be the flouride in the water, folks now-a-days just get the weebie-jeebies over anything.

Best Buy, I had to be in there, supposed to go in for a class deal and get information about IT stuff. Classmate bought her kid a movie.

Now not uncommon to use those little single packets of Alcohol pads to clean monitors, and we used them for fiber optic cable. I had one in shirt pocket, another in jeans pocket. Instead of her breaking a another ten, I had a dollar in shirt pocket, and snagged some change from jeans pocket.

Lady checking us thought I had pulled out condoms. :p We both laughed at her,
I mean she jumped back. :D

I must have "accidently" left one on her checkout counter, I only had one alchohol pad when we got out to truck... gotta wonder...

"Need a cleanup crew to checkout 3, bring the condom haz-mat gear"
:evil:

We both were CCW-ing 9mm guns with spare mags...checkout lady would of had a hissy-fit if she had known that .

Zero_DgZ
April 27, 2006, 06:10 PM
From the useless brass sidenote department, I've discovered that an empty casing from a 9x19 will fit very neatly inside the casing of a .40 and when the edge of the 9 mil hits the cup shaped sorta portion inside the .40 shell it can be pinched together and will hold there very securely and is also more than mildly waterproof.

Many a tiny screw or ball bearing that I'd rather not lose in trasnist has been transported to the hardware store or gun shop in this fashion. Most of the uninitiated look at me funny, though...

TexasRifleman
April 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
Crazy....

It's probably from my 10 year old son. He drops empty brass behind him like Hansel and Gretel with the bread crumbs. He stuffs his pockets with the things for some reason when we're at the range.

creampuff
April 27, 2006, 06:21 PM
I have had a brass bounce off the barrier, fall behind my neck, burn it (ouch), then go down my shirt. It wasn't until I got home that the wayward brass actually fell out of the bottom of my pants near my shoes. I thought I was peeing brass.

I suppose had I gone shopping that same day, I could have deposited brass somewhere in a store as well.

Pilgrim
April 27, 2006, 06:51 PM
When they find spent casings, why do people assume that there was a crime committed?
"Find" a flint, steel, and a cotton ball, and suggest an arson is in the making.

Pilgrim

riverdog
April 27, 2006, 07:28 PM
Whatever you do, don't leave a half dozen .38 Special cases on the floor like someone just dumped his empties and reloaded. . . if you must, make sure you wipe your prints :evil: ;)

lee n. field
April 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
If you had found it would you turn it in?

Naaah. If it were a cartidge I load for, I would have "assimilated it into the collective".

Whoh! Expert testimony!

creitzel
April 27, 2006, 08:25 PM
Whatever you do, don't leave a half dozen .38 Special cases on the floor like someone just dumped his empties and reloaded. . . if you must, make sure you wipe your prints

ROFL

Otherguy Overby
April 27, 2006, 08:51 PM
Don't keep your brass in a coffee can... :evil:

CypherNinja
April 28, 2006, 02:00 AM
Me, too--ha! It usually happens that I go somewhere with tile or linoleum floors and find myself clicking like I'm wearing tap shoes. Funny stuff...

LOL. I wear these Goodyear Racing Team shoes (20bux on sale), they're basically steel-toed boots that look like tennis shoes. A couple weeks ago, I went to the range because college was keeping me away from my toys. :D

The next day I was sitting in English Compostion bored out of my mind. I started tapping my foot and a few moments later I realized my foot was clicking. :scrutiny: A few other people noticed, because I got a few looks. Looking at the sole, I found a 9mm case wedged in the tread.:D

In the middle of class, with half of them looking, I nonchalantly picked the case outta my shoe and made a perfect three-pointer into the trash can with it. It bounced off the wall with the coolest "ting" sound ever.

The look on people's faces was PRICELESS.

That memory alone entertained me for two weeks. :D

ZeroX
April 28, 2006, 02:17 AM
After a range trip once I had to use the bathroom at a restaurant.
I'm near the urinal, unbuckle and a .45 shell case falls out (must have been between my belt and shirt).

Hits the tile and bounces across the floor.

I was alone at the time. BUT I could just imagine some of the looks I would have gotten.

MY response would have been "its loaded alright"

I wasn't aware you had to clear that particular piece. :uhoh:

Gunwalker.44
April 28, 2006, 02:21 AM
:eek: I have a bunch of 8x56R cases (with the dimpled primer!). Mil surplus dated 1938 with a nazi eagle and swastika (sp?) on the head stamp. I dont even leave the empties at the range!:eek:

AK-74me
April 28, 2006, 09:30 AM
I work Nuclear Security, one of the guys I work with went to a metting with employees from other work groups, the chair he sat in had arms and with the gas masked strapped to one leg and a thigh holster on the other it was a tight fit for him to sit. After finding this out he gets up and decides to stand. After the meeting is over he leaves. About 30 mins. later he realizes that his magazine release must of got depressed when he sat down and his mag is missing. He promptly goes back to the meeting room and sees a group of people gathered around where he once sat. He asks "did you find my 9mm magazine". To is surprise he hears " O yes thank goodness you are here, we just called 911 to report it"

Now there are a large number of Security Officers that work here that are known and seen with guns eveyday, yet they call 911 when they find a freaking magazine.

I'll tell you all later about the comotion that insude when another guys AR mag dropped in the cafateria and 30 rounds of .223 spewed everywhere.

Also all the spent shell casing laying around after a MILES drill here sent everyone into a hissy too.

WeedWhacker
April 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
xray machine found intact 223 round at Salt Lake City airport ... Wife did get an official letter/reprimand from Homeland Security

TSA/DHS really can get my knickers in a twist. I'm sure your wife would have endangered the lives of everyone on the plane with the single .223 round.

Compare to the time I left on a plane from Oklahoma City, flew halfway around the world, stayed there a few months, then flew all the way back only to have someone at an airport somewhere on the East Coast (Baltimore?) tell me "I think I see a knife in your bag". Twenty minutes later, yes, they did indeed find an 8" fixed-blade boot knife stuffed in a side pocket of my duffle, which I had inadvertantly carried around the world in my carry-on aboard two large international airplanes loaded with jet fuel... This was after 9/11, by the way.
It is not the gov't's job to keep me safe - that's my job, whether I'm in my own home or aboard an airliner.

Your tax dollars at work.

(They're almost as good at their job as I am at staying on-topic! :)

Mizzle187
April 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
A month or so ago I was over in one of our storage only warehouses which is huge and wide open and is basiccly one of those aluminum buildings. I stepped on somehting looked down it was a remains of a 9mm(most likely) bullet(as in tip! :) ) . I kind of laughed becuase our shops are in the hood. Everything behind us is pretty hardcore ghetto. I looked up and of course saw a hole in the roof alonmg with at least a hundred(I kid you not) more holes. So I figured lets see how many more bullets I can find. After about 10 minuetes I had found 15 more various caliber bullets. This was nothing compared to the amount og holes. The thing is a year or so ago a little girl was killed two streets back by a falling bullet and that wasnt the first time in this neighborhood over the years. The thing that got me pissed off was the fact that if someone had been in the building(even though these probbaly were fired at night) they would have been screwed. These bullets were like pancakes. The other thing that pissed me off is the fact that these people drew attention by firing guns off(im in the city if you didnt get that yet) so why fire straight up in the air and not at something like a tree or somehting. Why couldnt they shoot at the side of the building instead of straight up. I know these people are probably not the smartest people but damn. So I got curious and went on the roof(around 40 feet high) and there were hundreds if not a thousand bullets up their. Tons of .22s and lots of 9mm and bigger. It baffled me. We had found bullets all over the property(3 buildings in a row-all different addresses) in the past but this was ridiculous.

MechAg94
April 28, 2006, 11:41 AM
All I can say is that if you want to play brass fairie, make sure you don't leave prints on the shell casings. You never know what people might do.

osteodoc08
April 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Ha, this is a funny topic.

My only personal story is when I was returning from the range, all my empties had spilled out onto the floor in my truck. I thought I got them all up.

The next day I go to school and come out from a long day when I see a security officer looking along my truck. I walk up and ask what's going on. He states that a student reported that they saw wmpty shells in the parking lot and reported it. I explained that I went to the range the day before and it must have fallen out of my truck when I opened the rear door to get my bookbag that morning. He just shrugged it off and said OK. End of story.

When I was in undergrad, I couldn't keep guns in my dorm room, so I let campus safety keep them in there safe. I met many avid shooters and hunters those years in school. Never did get around to a promised hog hunt with the chief.

Hacker15E
April 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks to this thread, I will be dropping some used 9mm brass in my local Best Buy this weekend just for kicks.

slow944
April 28, 2006, 01:25 PM
Not me I'm going to stop by the range and pick up a bunch of brass and scatter it around the BB just up the street. Wonder what the local news stations will have to say about all that different brass.:evil:

Pilot
April 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
Sheeple. I love it.

Creeping Incrementalism
April 28, 2006, 05:24 PM
Don't forget to check the ceilings for small glasss domes when you do this.

Mannlicher
April 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
and the sheep keep bleating.........:what:

mr_dove
April 28, 2006, 05:51 PM
I figured i'd just carry some in my pocket and accidentally drop them as I pulled something else out of my pocket. They might get me for littering if I dropped them on purpose.

Malone LaVeigh
April 28, 2006, 06:14 PM
I found a 9mm unfired round in my carry-on bag I just recently flew cross country with. Apparently escaped detection by them as easily as it did by me. I think that round must have made at least two trips by now.

CypherNinja
April 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
I've got a pair of jeans with a hole in the right pocket. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I sincerely doubt that the resolution on those security cameras is high enough to spot a casing dropping out of someone's pant leg. :D

vynx
April 28, 2006, 06:46 PM
I laughed out loud when I read the first post.

By the end I was thinking, sheeple ! When has it been against the law to have empty brass around? Sheaple calling 911, calling security! Damn, the inmates are running the asylum!

MountainPeak
April 28, 2006, 06:57 PM
I too, find it troubling that you may be working with someone that is exposing themselves to the 9mm round. Have you thought about putting on a seminar, pointing out the limitations of this caliber? Your co-workers will thank you! :neener: :D

CajunBass
April 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Years ago, I used to smoke a pipe. This was before the anti-smoking nazi's kicked the smokers in the plant out into the storm, so we could smoke in meetings and such.

I had a piece of 30/06 brass I had fired, then resized the cartridge, leaving the primer intact, then I had seated a bullet into the case, and used it for a pipe tamper.

I pulled my pipe kit out during a meeting one day, loaded my pipe, then set my stuff on the table in front of me. My area supervisor, looked at the tamper, picked it up, turned it over, saw the dimpled primer, and put it back with a grin.

Otherguy Overby
April 28, 2006, 07:41 PM
vynx:
By the end I was thinking, sheeple ! When has it been against the law to have empty brass around? Sheaple calling 911, calling security! Damn, the inmates are running the asylum!

Seems most all the anti-gun hysteria is based on lack of knowledge and willful ignorance. Of course there's that vast left wing conspiracy, too... :what:

mordechaianiliewicz
April 28, 2006, 07:48 PM
+1 citizen

akodo
April 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
i too work at best buy, and loonies abound, not jsut related to firearms.

Where I work, once a month we get a few truckloads of mechandise that customers returned to the store. We have different catagories of what it can be to be resold, or sent back to the vendor for a refund, etc etc. Some stuff must come in pristine box, other stuff, as long as the main part is there, no box or accessories are needed for us to get a refund from the manufacturer.

Anyways, about a month after the anthrax scare, we got this TV back with all this white powder on it. To me it looked like sheetrock powder, but to another it looked like 'anthrax' so he called 911. :scrutiny:

imas
April 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
My wife has some boots with grooves that seem to pick up dozens of 22 casings laying on the ground at the range. Last time she went to the range we were finding 22 casings on the ground for weeks. I'm sure she's more than a we behind at various stores. :rolleyes:

Slinger
April 28, 2006, 08:27 PM
Rolling Rock all over my keyboard!

Hey, just for snicks, leave a trail of brass around your local BB. Drop them up and down the aisles leading to the restroom where the amature detectives can find the toilet bowl filled with a couple of handfulls of brass. Let them try to figure that out!:confused:

XLMiguel
April 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
I convinced that if they ever find something like that, they'd die of a brain aneurysm .

Well, that's one way to thin the herd, eh?:evil:

Hey, it's a start -:neener:

Heavy Barrel
April 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
I*'ve been carrying a loaded 17HMR and a 22 LR around with my pocket change for about 3wks.When I get my change out many have seen them.No one ever said a word.Maybe I 'll just drop them somewhere,

Parker Dean
April 29, 2006, 02:17 AM
Whatever you do, don't leave a half dozen .38 Special cases on the floor like someone just dumped his empties and reloaded. . . if you must, make sure you wipe your prints

LMAO!

Just watching the reaction to something like that would be priceless. Too bad it'd waste a cops time on a prank.

The other thing is that if someone who knew firearms said something about the fired brass being harmless, the others, especially the L.P. guy, would fight tooth and nail to keep saying it was dangerous. No amount of arguing would change their minds.

mike_o8
April 29, 2006, 02:40 AM
About finding "things" in your luggage:

This was pre 9/11. I have a buddy who worked for a certain company. There was an individual there who was quiting and going to work for a different company in a different state. The individual was not well liked by many and was known as a loud-mouth jerk. Before he left someone snagged his briefcase and put a thin piece of lead in the shape of a handgun in one of the pockets. They always wondered how he fared as he went through security at the airport.

Now back to our regullary (sp) program.

Mike

sctman800
April 29, 2006, 02:47 AM
A couple weeks ago I stopped for some groceries after a trip to the range. When I dug in my pocket for the $.06 to keep from breaking another dollar I had a half dozen unfired rounds of .45apc in my hand with the change. I have known the checker for years, so she just said "just money, bullets don't count. Jim.

50 Freak
April 29, 2006, 06:09 AM
TSA/DHS really can get my knickers in a twist. I'm sure your wife would have endangered the lives of everyone on the plane with the single .223 round.

Don't make fun of the TSA, they're just doing their jobs. Last time I flew out of the country. My 3 month old baby got pulled for secondary screening. We put her down next to the guy in a full leg cast and crutches. Apparently a 3month old baby and cripple are the pretty dangerous.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Getting back on subject.....

Note to self....after shooting tomorrow...collect brass....stop by Best Buy for some fun....:evil: :evil:

dillonuser
April 29, 2006, 05:35 PM
The top of my desk at work has at least 200-300 fired .357 cartridges in a clear bag and some loaded unboxed .45 acp also visible. Over 500+ people in the building,I've never heard a word....Oh,I don't work at BB.

On another subject: I am going to laugh all day on this one,
Here's to Glock, producing toilets and firearms from the same material since Die Hard 2!!

OCJ
April 29, 2006, 08:15 PM
Was the LP guy called becuase fired brass routinely steals merchandise at your store?

shark40sw
April 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
After work one night I had a manager send one of the staff to come find me as they had something in the office they needed me to see but no one would say what it was. I get there and here's 3 managers all debateing if the 9mm round they had found in the coat check (this was a large high end nightclub) was either a warning from someone we had problems with or something that had fallen out of a customer's coat. I took one look at it and said "oh yeah, that's mine." (hand loaded lead tc 147 grain) and put it back into my pocket before wandering off to get something to eat. Best thing is, no one ever asked me why I had it (coat check moved my bag and it had fallen out ) or how I could tell.
Did get an excellent staff review the next week though and a raise.:neener:

KaceCoyote
April 29, 2006, 08:44 PM
I work at Home Depot, and depending upon the time of the year have either a 7.62x39mm round or a 12 guage hull ziptied onto one of the strings of my apron. Folks "in the know" think its a riot, and soccer moms dont seem to notice.

Management doesnt care, considering 2 of my 3 managers CCW at work and my department head CCWs off the clock.

M249MachineGun
April 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
I wonder what would happen if you dropped a few .50 BMG cases in an airport parking lot. I'm not sure what would happen, really.

evan price
April 30, 2006, 03:15 AM
What would happen if you left a used Stinger missile hull in the parking lot?

ILS27R
April 30, 2006, 03:55 AM
Naaah. If it were a cartidge I load for, I would have "assimilated it into the collective".

That's funny!

Handloading: Resistance is futile.

Diamondback6
April 30, 2006, 06:47 AM
For a while after I got my CCW, and still occasionally, I was deliberately--without launch platform--carrying a live Federal 230-grain .45ACP Hydra-Shok, carefully padded in a little tissue and secured inside an old eyeglass case, as a reminder of the responsibilities I have accepted with my intent to carry a weapon. (Now if I could only find an engraver who'll work on a live round... if it's possible to engrave lettering into a case without risk of setting it off or unacceptably weakening it, that is...)

Don't Tread On Me
April 30, 2006, 07:59 AM
Some of the baggy pants I wear are too long, so I roll them up a couple turns. When I shoot at the range, brass gets in there.

I've littered many places with brass not even knowing it.

If people freak out, then that is their problem. It is just a sad reflection of how our nation has forgotten its roots and its culture. I'd be laughing inside if I saw people freaking out over a piece of spent brass, because while would be freaking over the mere presence of spent brass, I'd be concealing a firearm right next to them.

Ignorance is bliss.

retiredat44
April 30, 2006, 08:12 AM
not worth thinking about unless they came from A10 Warthog..
:scrutiny:

ILS27R
April 30, 2006, 02:43 PM
I wonder what would happen if you dropped a few .50 BMG cases in an airport parking lot. I'm not sure what would happen, really.

They would probably try to outlaw .50 caliber rifles.

I think California has already successfully done so.

bumm
April 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
All this reminds me of a small event that happened back in the late 50's or early 60's. I'd gone into the bank with a friend of mine who wanted to deposit the change he'd collected on his paper route. The lady poured the contents of his change bag into the hopper on the counting machine, and then reached in all of a sudden and pulled out a .38 pistol bullet. Back then, nobody panicked, and it probably wouldn't have dropped into the machine enough to jam it anyway. Funny though!
Marty

Crosshair
May 1, 2006, 12:17 AM
Diamondback6

if it's possible to engrave lettering into a case without risk of setting it off or unacceptably weakening it, that is...)

I always wanted to engrave the bullets on my carry ammo with, "To whom it may Concern". My neighbor is a jewler so that might be easy to arrange.:D

Hardtarget
May 1, 2006, 01:12 AM
In the early 80's I worked part time at a service station. One evening I picked up a .45 round. Never thought a thing about it. I've got various bits and pieces stuck in all kinds of places. At work I've got five different pistol calibers in a desk drawer. Every so often a conversation will turn to ammo differences and out they come for comparison...you know...educational purposes. :D No body freaks.
Mark.

CNYCacher
May 1, 2006, 01:14 AM
Last deer season, I was looking for something in my truck for a friend and came up with a couple 12 guage rifled slug shells, unfired. I handed them to my friend and said "Here, hold these". He looked a little surprised/scared, but we have known each other forever and he trusts me, so he hung onto them. I finally found whatever it was I was looking for, and went to take the shells back. I told him he could keep one if he wanted. He's never been into guns so I figured maybe some baby steps.
"Has this been fired?"
"No."
"How do you know?"
"Because it isn't empty."
"How can you tell?"
"Well, you see that big grey thing sitting just inside the one end?"
"Yeah"
"That's the slug"
"Slug?"
"The bullet" (gotta speak their language)
"So, this hasn't been fired?"
"If it had, the slug would be embedded in a tree somewhere with deer blood on it, not inside the shell in your hand."
"So you could put this in a gun right now and fire it off?"
"Yes"
"So could it go off in my pocket?"
"Nope"
"What if it hit my keys just right?"
"Nope"
"Okay, cool! I'm just gonna carry it around"
He puts it in his coat pocket and as far as I know, it's still there to this day!
"Okay, don't forget it when you get on a plane."

If you enjoyed reading about "Found a 9mm shell at work. Everyone flipped out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!