Texas State Guard

PDA

Malice
April 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
Are any THR Texans in the Texas State Guard? Or know anyone who is?

I am very interested in getting involved with them and I have already emailed my areas commanding officer, but I would like some first hand opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas State Guard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Logan5
April 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Since you're not getting any replies...

I spent most of last October working closely with the Texas Army National Guard after Rita, and I was impressed. Depending on how you look at it, disaster response may or may not be a true test of the mettle of a state's Guard, but I thought that Texas had some of the toughest, hardest working, most together Guardsmen I'd ever seen. (I hesitate to point this out, but a lot of the NCO's were former Marines.) I'm proud to have worked with them, and have nothing but the best to say about them. They always came through in a tight spot.

woofe
April 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
Just recently got out of the Texas State Guard. Was in since 97. At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, don't waste your time.

Across that span of time I was with three different units, 2-19 formerly out of the Waxahache Armory, 2-2 in Waco, and lastly 1-19 out of Redbird Armory. The outfit at Redbird was easily the best of the three. However, when it came to doing (or attempting) to do things that soldiers are normally expected to do we were almost constantly frustrated. Generally speaking, guns are a bad thing in the TSG, going to the field is a bad thing too. However, if you like march around the armory, and do classes you never implement in a field exercise, have at. The real problem with the TSG resides in Austin at command headquarters. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas State Guard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!