For all you Hi Point owners....Hi Point Cleans up in Latest issue of "Gun Tests"

PDA

hillbilly
April 27, 2006, 11:24 PM
In the May 2006 issue of Gun Tests, Hi Point products score two wins.

First, "Low Cost 9mms"

Hi Point is picked as a "Best Buy" over Bersa Thunder 9mm.

Bersa gets a "Buy It" rating, but in Gun Tests magazine a "Best Buy" is just about their highest endorsement.

Hi Point wins in .40 carbines, too.

Hi Point .40 carbine gets a "Best Buy" over the Beretta Storm in .40 which gets a "Don't Buy."

Beretta Storm gets the "Don't Buy" due to its $800 MSRP, awkward stock.

Oly Arms K40 AR-platform carbine gets a "Buy It" rating.

But in both articles, Hi Point gets thumbs down for sheer ugliness, but big thumbs up for reliability, functionality, and bargain price.

I currently do not own any Hi Point firearms.

However, if that .45 ACP carbine ever comes out, I just might have to.

hillbilly

If you enjoyed reading about "For all you Hi Point owners....Hi Point Cleans up in Latest issue of "Gun Tests"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
April 27, 2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know if I am a Hi-Point "fan". I don't own one but I have fired quite a few and never had any trouble. They are hell for ugly and heavy (due to being blowback), but I never had a failure with one and they seem to work with about any ammo.

Somehow, many of the folks on the net seem to have taken a real dislike for them. Possibly there were some lemons (as from most makers) but some folks rant about how bad they are, how they are inaccurate and won't work and then say they never fired one or never even saw one. Odd.

Jim

ezypikns
April 27, 2006, 11:51 PM
was a Hi-Point 9mm. I bought it because of the price. Several people advised me not to buy it. When I asked why not, I got the stock answer: "It's junk".
None of the people who made these comments had ever owned or fired one, so I decided to go ahead and buy one. Absolutely reliable put of the box. Accurate? It was about as accurate as I could shoot at the time. Ugly? Without a doubt.
I found out later that you can certainly buy a more accurate pistol, and undoubtedly you can buy something better looking. In my experience however, you can't buy a more reliable weapon.
Having said all this, I have to admit, I couldn't stand the way it looked. Sold it after about 1000 rds.

Crosshair
April 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
Hi-Point Forums (http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php):cool:

I'm really surprised about the Beretta Storm recieving the rating that it did.

Mooseman
April 28, 2006, 12:52 AM
My Hi-Point 45 is reliable and of course ugly. Does it send lead reliably down range where I want it to? Yes! Do I want to carry it when other options are available? No! My Ruger sp101 in .357 is what I carry. Am I sorry I bought a Hi-Point? NO! Would I recommend it? Yes! Would I buy another? Certainly.:)

Templar223
April 28, 2006, 01:00 AM
I bought a Hi-Point 9mm pistol back in about 1993ish. I was amused at the thought of a pistol for $89. It was a total POS. Weighed about as much as a case of .223 ammo (or so it seemed), held a whopping 7 or 8 rounds and had a challenging time keeping the rounds on a piece of 8.5x11 paper at about 25 feet. Oh, I forgot, about half the bullets tumbled their way to that target. Sold it in one week to some kid for $100. Good riddance. (Sucka!)

Fast Forward:

Last fall, in one of my Personal Protection Classes, I had a student who owned 2 9mm Hi-Points and a .40. He used the "most tricked outedest" (yeah, I know that's not a word, but it fits) gun himself, and cursed his son and wife with the other two. He had :D :D muzzle brakes, laser sights, flashlights and all sorts of other stuff on these guns. I remember asking him if they (the Hi-Points) worked well when we were practicing stances and dry firing. He said, "Oh, yeah. And I got all three for what a Beretta would've cost me." Okay...

So, after lunch, we're down on the range.

"On the line, with one round, load and make ready."

Oh, yeah. They work great and he got all three for about the cost of one Beretta (on my hip). One wouldn't feed the one and only round real well.

Pretty soon, shooting five-round strings, the POSs was having stoppages worse than a public toilet with intermittent running water.

Let's just suffice it to say that most of the rest of the class had to wait until Sunday Morning to practice their malfunction clearing drills. This poor guy, his wife and son got a little one-on-one instruction on malfunction clearing on the first day. Well, make that extensive, not "little".

By about 4pm, I offered him my "three of yours makes one of mine" Beretta. "Hey, wow, this really works well. And it's so light."

Yeah, a full-size M9 light. Uh-huh. Compared to a boat anchor, sure.

Yeah. Think "excrement" if you see any Hi-Point handguns more than a couple years old. They are expensive paperweights & laser pointers. His wife and kid about kissed me after I let them borrow a couple of Glocks.

I'm gonna guess he's sold those and bought one or two real guns. It's what I told him to do anyway.

I know their carbine supposedly run like champs, but I haven't found any of their handguns worth pissing on.

John

clone
April 28, 2006, 01:07 AM
i own a Hi Point C9 and a JHP45. the 45 has been flawless in function and reliability.

the 9mm did give me a few jams until i did a fluff and buff on the mag's. i believe the 9mm's would 10x's better if they took a bit more time on redesigning the mags. one thing i think would help is to use the same type followers that the 45 style mags do.

can anyone confirm or deny, if the Hi Point 40 has the same style follower as the JHP45?

chris in va
April 28, 2006, 01:46 AM
My 9mm carbine is still a favorite of mine. Solid reliability and accurate as all get out. I just wish the 20rd magazine I bought for it actually worked.:cool:

Crosshair
April 28, 2006, 03:12 AM
The problem with them feeding is due to the owner using blunt HP bullets. One needs to use ammo with a more rounded nose. I handload for my 995 carbine and I keep the rounds close to the max spec for 9mm (1.069", I load my rounds to 1.050") and I get 100% reliability. It's when you load them to a short OAL or use the wrong shaped bullet that they like to jam up in my experience.

Slimjim
April 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
ATI makes a replacement stock for the Carbine now. Kinda looks like a storm.

rangerruck
April 29, 2006, 01:31 AM
i owned a 9mm pistol once, ONCE. the only good thing i can say about it was, the fully adjustable, very visible rear sites.

CajunBass
April 29, 2006, 01:37 AM
Mine (9mm) works like a champ.

ajax
April 29, 2006, 02:07 AM
I have enough money that I dont feel the need to own a ugly and cheap pistol but my brother bought one and I have to say it's a damn fine little shooter. I also agree with crosshair about the ammo. My brothers is finicky with certain HP's other wise it shoots like a champ.

00blkgt
April 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
It's certainly not the best gun, but it is affordable, reliable protection. Good for Hi Point.
J

Sewerman
April 29, 2006, 10:44 AM
I have the .40 and love it. My wife has decided its hers however. She does let me shoot whenever i want to. It has probably had close to 4000 rounds thru it at this point without so much as a hiccup. I killed a deer in the driveway with it last year, one shot dropped him where he stood.:D

Mannlicher
April 29, 2006, 11:20 AM
Gun Tests is written by non gunners, FOR non gunners. I don't trust a darn thing they say. Even when they 'get it right', its for the wrong reasons. Trust this rag at your own peril. :what:

On the other hand, when comparing Bersas and Hi Points, its like comparing garbage and crap. Neither is much worh buying.

Srigs
April 29, 2006, 11:38 AM
Love the carbines! Great guns... ;)

hillbilly
April 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
Of course, Mannilcher!

And all the other gun magazines they are written by GUNNERS!

All the other gun magazines are written by gunners for the manufacturers and advertisers....uh, oops, I mean by gunners for other gunners!!

The other gun magazines are full of truth and light and they pick the right guns for the right reasons!

The other gun magazines never, and I mean never put lots of polish on a turd just to keep the company that made it spending lots and lots of advertising dollars in their little rag, uh, I mean magazine.

Absolutely!

hillbilly

ajax
April 29, 2006, 01:06 PM
Mannlicher I have to say this with no offense intended ,but I would put my Bersa 380 up against any comparable pistol you have and I believe I would win. At 10 yards my Bersa and I are shootin 1 to 1.5 in. groups. Being that it is just a HD gun for my wife I'd say those are respectable numbers. I'd also like to say that after about a 1000 rounds my wife and I have never experienced a faliure of any kind. All ammo thats been run through it has worked fine. I think your bashing a firearm manufacturer you have limited experience with. I can only assume you don't subscribe to guntests so you are a real gunner.

Manedwolf
April 29, 2006, 03:12 PM
I am rather surprised that they'd rate the Bersa higher than the new Taurus Millenium Pros and 24/7s. :scrutiny:

Did they even test those?

Stiletto Null
April 29, 2006, 05:02 PM
In my untrained opinion, having never actually FIRED a Storm, but only handled them: they suck.

I also don't like Hi Point pistols, mainly because they're balanced all weird and are fugly.

HOWEVER, I fully intend to get "a few" Hi Point carbines, because while they're not very pretty, they have decent (ghost ring) sights and I hear they're accurate and reliable.

CajunBass
April 30, 2006, 08:57 AM
On the other hand, when comparing Bersas and Hi Points, its like comparing garbage and crap. Neither is much worh buying.

So tell me. Which was used to shoot this target from 7 yards? Crap or garbage?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/battlefield066.jpg

Wakal
April 30, 2006, 09:23 AM
Not bad.

Oh, wait, you said "7 yards". That looks like one of my 50-yard targets. Only your target has some wicked flyers and mine...well...not so much.

:neener:

I've had the same experience (students bringing HiPoints) in my CHL and basic NRA classes. Thankfully, most folks realize that no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it is still a pig...and have not brought any out for competition or competition classes.

Good price point, and they tend to go "bang"...for a while.

Alex

CajunBass
April 30, 2006, 09:35 AM
Well, now you are right on both counts there Alex. It is pretty close shooting, I agree. Shoot I can't hardly see a target at 50 yards, much less shoot at it. :eek: As for the flyers, well it was ME shooting the gun. I take credit for those. The gun get's the blame for the ones in the black. :neener:

Wakal
April 30, 2006, 10:53 AM
:D

I just wish more gun companies would make...more inexpensive...pistols. HiPoint is on the right track, I think, with a basic design with no frills. Not everyone needs a Porche, but most folks could use a car.

But to use the same analogy, even Metros run most all the time :)

Alex

Janos Dracwlya
April 30, 2006, 01:39 PM
I used to subscribe to Gun Tests and I remember them reviewing the Hi-Point carbines at least once, maybe twice, and they rated them as "Don't Buy" on account of their spotty reliability. I recall that at least one of these reviews was for the 9mm version.

That's why I've always stayed away from the Hi-Point. Naturally, when I started reading Sigforum and The High Road, I was very surprised to see all of the folks who love their Hi-Point carbines. (of course, back when I subscribed to Gun Tests, they tested the Arsenal Makarov and panned it (their example blew it's safety in 25 rounds); I've had one myself since 1997 and put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems at all, so I should have known :o )

Stiletto Null
April 30, 2006, 02:51 PM
The carbines? Just about everything I've heard, everywhere, was that Hi Point's pistols are awful-to-decent, but that their carbines are solid; some people have even said that Hi Point should just drop the pistol market and concentrate on making carbines.

MechAg94
April 30, 2006, 05:12 PM
I have a Bersa .380. Good gun. I don't shoot it because I have been alternatives, but I can't knock the gun.

One problem which Gun Tests says up front is they test only one gun of each type. Sometimes, they get a gem, sometimes they get a POS. They do put a lot of opinion in there and sometimes they give don't buy ratings for seemingly trivial stuff. (Gun owners are never opinionated are they? :) ) I get a good/bad look at a lot of guns I otherwise would have not experience with. Works for me.

R.W.Dale
April 30, 2006, 05:18 PM
One problem which Gun Tests says up front is they test only one gun of each type. Sometimes, they get a gem, sometimes they get a POS.

And how is that diffrent than other gun rags?

I'll tell you,the mainstream mags won't tell you when they get a POS they just say things like "minuite of deer" or "should smooth up after break in". If they even bother to do that.

duke nukum
January 11, 2007, 12:38 AM
I own two hi point .45 pistols thousands of rounds shot no problems out shot a lot of high end guns like glock, kimber , smith and weston , colt, so they cant be all bad:)

model4006
January 11, 2007, 12:55 AM
i found a gun shop around here i didnt know existed and they are a big seller of hi points. the lady said they were great, reliable, blah blah blah, everything id expect to hear from someone trying to sell me one. but then she did mention a few things to me that nobody else had.

#1 they have a full lifetime warranty, not to the purchaser, but to the gun. anybody, whatever, if the gun breaks or fails to function properly it should be sent back to hi point and they will fix it for free.

#2 they are guaranteed to shoot any commercial ammo on the market, if they dont for any reason, again just send it back.

#3 since the pistols have gone to a push button style magazine release, they have been built to a much higher standard of quality, and she mentioned that any pistol made by hi point before that time, that dont have the push button style magazine release, were a piece of crap.

she had a customer who literally wore out the barrel of his 9 or 45, i dont remember which but a pistol anyway, and he sent it back to hi point. she said they replaced the barrel, serviced the entire gun (i dont know exactly what she meant by that), and sent him an extra magazine for his trouble. she made it VERY clear they were a wonderful company to deal with. im thinking of getting one just to try out, she had 9mm for 140, and .40 or .45acp for 154 bucks. she had a 9mm with laser grips for 220! really made me wonder of it was worth a shot. (no pun intended)

RVSinOK
January 11, 2007, 01:36 AM
Not bad.

Oh, wait, you said "7 yards". That looks like one of my 50-yard targets.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think that someone buying a $150 brand new handgun is probably looking for something for self defense or just fun. If that's all you can afford, it's reliable (as I hear the recent ones are), and shoots like that at 7 yards, what's the problem? Yes, it's ugly as he**, and not something that will win any accuracy contests, but it seems to do the job it was intended for, doesn't it? Are only those who can afford that kind of accuracy at 50 yards allowed to defend themselves?

Just wondering.....:neener:

hotpig
January 11, 2007, 02:29 AM
I love Hi Point threads. The haters always get real pissy when there is so much positive feedback for the gun. I guess because they look like idiots running the gun down.

.41Dave
January 11, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hey, poor people need guns too. If a Hi Point is what you can afford, then go for it. I won't knock 'em.

However, all you Glock shooters calling Hi Points ugly? Pots and kettles, man...:D

fugi
January 11, 2007, 02:45 AM
I have a hi-point 45 I bought about five years ago, I've shot it once. it's not that it's poor quality, well it is, but that's not why I haven't fired it anymore. It's a direct-blowback striker-fired ugly single-stack brick. sure it's accurate, and unless you drop a loaded mag and it splits right down the seam in back it's reliable, but it's just no fun. direct-blowback is for pocket pistols, not .45s, it's no wonder of engineering in the least. makes it less fun to shoot and a pain in the ass to clean with that stupid pin you have to punch out, then you have the possibility of that stupid striker spring flying across the room and knocking the cat off the back of the couch. did I mention it was an ugly brick?

Prince Yamato
January 11, 2007, 02:47 AM
Firstly, I've never shot a hi-point, but I think that most of the people who complain about the accuracies of the pistol are just not used to direct blow-back. Now, I wouldn't buy a direct blow-back .45, but the .380 hi-point did tempt me at $90. If the guns were THAT bad, they wouldn't have a lifetime warranty. Frankly, I have no need for a hi-point, but I think it's rather insulting to people who can't afford better to be crapped upon by the "well it's not as good as my Les Baer crowd." For self-defense at 7 yards or less, what the pistol was designed for, there's going to be little difference between it and a $2000 pistol- in terms of hitting center of mass. A .380/9mm/.45ACP bullet is a .380/9mm/45ACP bullet no matter which barrel it left from.

hotpig
January 11, 2007, 02:50 AM
Hi Points due not require cleaning like more expensive guns. I used to clean mine every 200 rounds or so. I have just switched to every few years.

If I shoot a bunch of the lead bullets I do go ahead and clean it though.

denfoote
January 11, 2007, 04:51 AM
Perhaps they have gotten better!! :eek:
After all, it's been over a decade since I've had one in my possesson!!
Am I gunna go out and buy one??
I think not!!

Cousin Mike
January 11, 2007, 07:03 AM
First pistol I ever bought w/my own money was a Hi-Point, after having them recommended to me by several people I worked with at the time. I've told the story here a million times - let's just say that it was the most unreliable POS I'd ever been unlucky enough to own, often jamming 3 times or more in a single 9-round magazine... I was lucky... I sold it to someone I didn't like very much for $90.00 - that was about 6 years ago.

About 6 months ago, I took some friends to the range, one of whom had bought a brand new Hi-Point C9. His performed the same way mine did 6 years ago. Muliple jams, multiple rounds trying to feed at the same time, 20lb. trigger... After shooting some of my SIGs and my cousin's Glock, he sold his Hi-Point the next day and bought a G23... He recently put a SIG Pro on layaway.

Personally, I don't care if Jesus himself comes down from the heavens and endorses them as the best thing that ever was... I'll never buy another one. You can fool me once...

BTW, money has almost nothing to do with anything. You can get a quality pistol for next to nothing if you know how to shop... I've got SIGs, Berettas, Glocks, Colts, etc... and I've never come CLOSE to paying $1,000 for a pistol, NIB or slightly used. Quality doesn't always mean custom. To be perfectly honest, my 100% functional Colt .38Spl revolver (Official Police) cost less than a new Hi-Point... if you wanna buy (GOOD) cheap guns, there's a right way and a wrong way.

Deavis
January 11, 2007, 07:08 AM
In my untrained opinion, having never actually FIRED a Storm, but only handled them: they suck.

So you haven't addressed the functionality or useability of the weapon at all but you know that it sucks? All the complaints Gun Tests had about the Storm, in my opinion, were pretty much without merit. I've had about 12 people shoot my Storm, from 280lbs to 108lbs and not one person has ever felt that the ergonomics of the weapon were poor or akward at all. Within 2 magazines, everyone really enjoyed the carbine as a fun and easy to shoot gun.

If Gun Tests was going to mark it down there are a few things they could have chosen that are more realistic than an akward stock such as the stock trigger pull, cleanability with the enclosed barrel, etc. I've never fired a Hi-Point carbine or pistol. They are ugly but I'm not going to judge their capability based on their looks or how it feels when I'm not actually shooting it.

Clipper
January 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have no personal experience with the pistols, as I can afford to buy something other than a brick on top of a 2x4, although I have heard about a few, and they were reliable and went bang every time...

...That being said, I do have the 9mm carbine. Got rid of the butt-ugly stock and added the ATI before I even tried to shoot it, and fell in love. I'll likely get one of the .45s if ATI comes out with a stock for it...

armoredman
January 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
Crosshair, max OAL for 9mm Nato/Parabellum/Lugar is 1.169 with standard FMJ bullets, not 1.069. Back when I still loaded FMJ, that was where I loaded them to, and they worked just fine.

As for the Hi-Point, the biggest tell is the lifetime warranty. This means the company IS standing behind thier product, as many pointed out, the ability for a person of limited means to get a defensive pistol to use at combat distances for a very low price.
I will probably never get a Hi-Point pistol, but I might be tempted to a carbine some day, especially if anyone ever manages to make an extended mag that functions.:cool:

Mannlicher
January 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
gun tests magazine is a useless rag written by non gunners about things they dont understand.
Hi Point guns are cheap, and they do work, thats about all you can say about them.

The Freeholder
January 12, 2007, 10:49 PM
I don't own any, but a friend does. Cheap, butt ugly and utterly reliable. I doubt that they would hold up to a 10,000 round torture test, but that's a guess on my part.

I think there is a place for the Hi-Point. Poor or cheap folks deserve to be able to protect themselves too.

hankdatank1362
January 12, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'd buy a Hi-point carbine only if I could get the ATI stock the same day... but they are accurate and reliable... wish they had more mag capacity.

ArfinGreebly
January 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
One of the guys at work bought both the pistol and the carbine in 9mm.

Took them to the range with three other guys I work with. They took turns shooting everything everybody brought.

Concensus: the Hi Point carbine was a real hit. Easy to shoot, clean and accurate out to 100 yards (red dot), handled well. The pistol got mediocre reviews, except that a) it didn't jam, b) shot to point of aim, c) handled reasonably well. They didn't care for x) the small magazine, y) the way it looked, z) the slide controls.

The universal assessment was "ugly, but good." Most of the guys averred that they would not, themselves, buy one, but neither would they throw one away.

I bought the pistol from him for my son. As soon as he has demonstrated a) safe handling, b) some proficiency, c) actual interest in shooting, I will upgrade him to a CZ 75B in 9mm. From there on, he's on his own. If the passion is there, he'll build his own collection. He has an advantage I didn't have: he can try everything in my safe.

Since this pistol seems to get discussed fairly regularly, I'll make a point of writing up our first trip to the (outdoor only) range with it (once the weather gets out of single digits).

alucard0822
January 13, 2007, 01:14 AM
Ive owned 1 hi-point pistol, and couldn't stand it, but funds didn't allow much else. Jammed often, heavy, ugly bla bla bla, but against seemingly solid logic at the time I traded it and $50 for a carbine. I still have it with an ati stock. It can shoot 2" at 50 yds, can reliably dump all 10 rds in about 2 seconds and is a blast to shoot, and with the stock it's not even that pig ugly. Im sure I am not alone in this, but a 50rd drum, bullpup kit or the like would make a fine little el-cheapo lead tosser even the most discriminating video game addict could love. http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51171&stc=1&d=1168664454

hotpig
January 13, 2007, 01:43 AM
I thought about getting the ATI stock. After some consideration I decided that it would be embarrassing to me if people at the range though that I had the Berretta.

Fu-man Shoe
January 13, 2007, 02:10 AM
Meh...screw what other people think.

If it floats your boat, go on with your bad self.

I, for one, would not mind a good, functional 9mm
carbine. I keep watchin the classifieds, and maybe
someday I'll pick one up.

Stiletto Null
January 13, 2007, 03:49 AM
OK, I've shot the Storm (in .45).

It sucks.

I'm torn between getting another .22 rifle (semiauto, since I already have a bolt-action) and a Hi-Point carbine. :uhoh:

glocktoberfest
January 13, 2007, 05:54 AM
Gun Tests is written by non gunners, FOR non gunners. I don't trust a darn thing they say. Even when they 'get it right', its for the wrong reasons. Trust this rag at your own peril.

I was tinkin the same thing .............................

Mat, not doormat
January 13, 2007, 06:49 AM
I suppose there's a market for such things, but, man. They easily make the short list of world's ugliest firearms.

1. Nambu
2. High Point
3. GLOCK
4. TEC-9

I really like inexpensive, but quality firearms. Rock Island, Great Western II, PT1911, police trades, Nagant rifles, that sort of thing. But High Points just make me shudder.

~~~Mat

jerkface11
January 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
A hipoint carbine is the most fun you can have for the money. Oh and the .45 carbine is coming out this year.

dracphelan
January 13, 2007, 10:07 AM
the .45 carbine is coming out this year.

That's what they said last year (and I think the year before). I'll believe it when I see one for sale.

BHPshooter
January 13, 2007, 01:24 PM
...there's going to be little difference between it and a $2000 pistol- in terms of hitting center of mass. A .380/9mm/.45ACP bullet is a .380/9mm/45ACP bullet no matter which barrel it left from.

A couple of points:
1) You're right -- there won't be any huge difference between a Hi-Point and a Les Baer at 7 yards going for center mass.
2)I might have to disagree with the "a bullet is a bullet" thing. Let's remember that the Hi-Point is a blowback operated arm, and most anything else 9mm and up is locked breech/recoil operated. Therefore there's going to be at least a theoretical difference between the bullets launched from their respective platforms. How big a difference? I have no idea.
3)While there may not be a noticeable difference between a Hi-Point and Brand X at 7 yards COM, there would be a BIG difference if that changed to a 7 yard rescue shot. With the Hi-Point's trigger, I wouldn't be comfortable with more precise work like that.

They are ugly but I'm not going to judge their capability based on their looks or how it feels when I'm not actually shooting it.

Their looks are one thing -- an eyesore, but one that won't directly affect function -- but how a gun feels, whether you're firing it or not, IS something that indicates a design's viability. What is the first thing you look for when choosing a pistol? FEEL.

We sell a lot of Hi-Points in our shop. We literally can't keep them on the shelves. Although they're not for me, they are nearly-universally admired by our customers who own them. If they work and they fit you're budget, what's the problem? That's what it really boils down to.

Wes

ilbob
January 13, 2007, 01:35 PM
I don't own one, but I am (and have been for some time) seriously tempted to get a 9mm version of a HiPoint carbine just to test it for myself.

I find it interesting that what amounts to a very inexpensive plinking gun with some SD and light hunting applications, is being criticized for not being all things to all people. No firearm can stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

ptmmatssc
January 13, 2007, 04:46 PM
Never owned one myself , but my buddie bought one . We have put hundreds of rounds through it (9mm pistol) without one hiccup . Yup it's ugly , but it has always gone 'bang" when the trigger was pulled . I thought of getting the carbine but ended up getting the Kel Tec SUB2000 . Still , i may just pick up the Hipoint carbine and maybe even one of their pistols . Btw , I've heard trash talk about every other brand of gun out there and generally buy MY stuff based on MY experiences with them . If I relied on what others said about any guns out there I wouldn't own any . :rolleyes:

Antihero
January 13, 2007, 05:44 PM
A hipoint carbine is the most fun you can have for the money. Oh and the .45 carbine is coming out this year.

A 45 carbine would be very cool, but to tell you the truth i would rather see thm put that creative energy into making a large capacity mag for their 9mm carbine say 20 rds or so.

akodo
January 13, 2007, 06:57 PM
when my friend and I first moved from the 'standard farm setup' of 'a .22 rifle, a 12 guage shotgun, and possibly a centerfire rifle' to the arena of handguns we both went for budget models.

I bought a used taurus 66 for $175 he bought a hi point 9mm for less than $100.

We went to the range, his would not feed the ammo he had bought, went and bought 1 box of ammo from the range (extra expensive there) that didn't feed, asked the guy at the counter for advice, bought a different type and that fed all right, but after the last box he was pretty much out of money, so I shot just a few shots out of his then let him use mine a lot as I had piles of 38 specials along.

So we stop by gander mountain stocking up for another trip, he buys 1 each of 4 different types of 9mm now knowing he needs to go for basically ball type ammo. That stuff runs okay, he is keeping track of how many jams per 50, all have at least 1.

So he sells it, buys a ruger 95 and never looks back.

OTOH, another friend had what we called 'the colombine carbine' because iirc, a hi point carbine was one of the firearms used in that most famous of school shootings. It is actually a pretty solid firearm, if kind of ugly.

MountainPeak
January 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
Own a 9mm carbine that has worked flawlessly. My grand daughter thinks it is one of the most fun guns we take out. The only "junk" in this post is GUN TESTS. I cancelled them after the editor insulted gun owners that supported the S&W boycott, after their deal with the Clinton administration. OUR boycott WORKED, and we ended up with an American S&W! No thanks to Gun Tests and their editor.

RVSinOK
January 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
I happened to be at the range when a guy came up with a Hi Point 9mm that he had bought the previous weekend at a gun show. He was home on leave from the Navy, and said that he bought it because of the price.

I didn't really keep track, but I'd say that he put at least 100 rounds through it without a hiccup - right from the factory. He let me shoot it, and it worked fine for me!

I still say that for what it was designed for, it's a heck of a deal! Butt ugly, yes, but it serves its purpose....

If you enjoyed reading about "For all you Hi Point owners....Hi Point Cleans up in Latest issue of "Gun Tests"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!