Pulaski Hostage Released, Suspect In Custody

PDA

sm
April 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.kthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=27725

Pulaski Hostage Released, Suspect In Custody

A man who took a deputy hostage at the Pulaski County Courthouse in downtown Little Rock is in custody and the deputy was freed, unhurt.

Sheriff's spokesman Cody Burk says the incident ended without injuries.

The inmate, 29-year-old Alonzo Gilliam, had been taken to the courthouse for a scheduled hearing. Burk says the inmate is believed to have used a homemade weapon to take the deputy hostage in the courthouse basement at about 10 a.m.

SWAT team commander Tim Calhoun says Gilliam was desperate because he was facing multiple charges and could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Authorities say Gilliam faced numerous charges including robbery, being a felon in possession of a firearm and possession of a weapon in jail.

--
Why a lady friend CCWs.

<high priority email>

Steve,
I'm okay.
I was running errands near the courthouse when everything went nuts!
I left on foot, as I could not get near my car at the pay parking lot across from courthouse anyway. I sure am glad we practiced and thought about this kind of thing, I was wearing good shoes I could run in if need be.
I headed back to where I had just come from, stayed on the second floor where a break room is, and I was so happy I was dressed around my CCW....

One never knows as Sam reminded us often.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulaski Hostage Released, Suspect In Custody" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
Good for your friend. For that matter, good for everyone who keeps and bears arms on a daily basis.

baz
April 29, 2006, 01:54 AM
It is interesting that I read about this first on THR. I live just outside LR. But I hardly ever read the local paper, or watch the local news.

I'm glad this turned out with no harm to the good guys. I know a couple of guys on the LR police force from church. I'll get the "real scoop" from them on Sunday; bet I learn more than what's on/in the local news.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulaski Hostage Released, Suspect In Custody" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!