Antique Ithaca Double bbl 10 ga

PDA

Carl
April 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
I'm soon going to be purchasing this antique as a wall hanger, and would like to know more about it. Here's the pictures.

http://gundersonmilitaria.com/shotguncartithacanewithacagun49278.jpg

I'm hoping to find out the manufacture date as well as what it's chambered for, etc... Anything I can find out about this gun is welcome.

Serial number is 49278.

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique Ithaca Double bbl 10 ga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
April 29, 2006, 11:44 AM
The SN list in the back of the Blue Book shows 1900 for "Crass Models Ithaca Doubles" 46627 to 61608.

The '99 Standard Catalog of Firearms lists the "New Ithaca Gun" as introduced in 1888 and discontinued in 1915. It came in 7 grades, Quality A through Quality F, in 10, 12, 16[add 30%], and rarely 20 ga.[get a good appraisal].

"Lower grade models carried the logo "New Ithaca Gun", usually within a banner, on each side of the frame. Like its predecessor [the Baker Model], grades above Quality B are seldom encountered, and an expert appraisal is recommended."

JohnBT
April 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
Here's a list of chamber dimensions if you'd like to stab a quick stab at determining the gauge.

www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html

Carl
May 2, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well, the check is in the mail, and soon, I'll receive it at my door. I just hope someone is home to take it in.

John, I'll most likely take it to a gunsmith to find out the specifications on it, since I'm not much of a pro myself to find out.

Carl
May 7, 2006, 02:13 PM
A friend of mine had brought the idea to me that since it's made in 1900, and not pre 1899, but still coming in the mail, that it could possibly be made for black powder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique Ithaca Double bbl 10 ga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!