What would you suggest?

PDA

Remington788
April 30, 2006, 08:34 AM
About a month ago my boss at work informed me that he was looking at buying his first gun and wanted my opinion. He said that he is looking at Sigs and Glocks, but is open to other suggestions. He also mentioned an interest in a rifle and/or shotgun, but mainly wants a pistol for now. I told him he needs to handle a varity of different guns to see what he likes best and go from there.

My question is this, what new handgun, rifle and/or shotgun should he buy? Money is not a issue since he makes well over $100,000 a year and has a house and vehicle provided.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you suggest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kingcreek
April 30, 2006, 08:44 AM
What would you suggest?
same thing you did- he already got the best advice.
I told him he needs to handle a varity of different guns to see what he likes best and go from there.

ulflyer
April 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
Since he's shown a preference for simi-auto's, and since its his first gun, I'd suggest a Glock for its simplicity. Probably a G-19...not too small, not too big.

Cueball
April 30, 2006, 03:56 PM
You started him off right... first he needs to touch, feel, and handle several to narrow down size and type of handgun. Once that is done, then start suggesting some quality options for him to look at.

aguyindallas
April 30, 2006, 04:19 PM
I would take him to the range with whatever guns you have and let him try them out...assuming you own more than one gun that is.

This way, he gets some real world experience to at least get him started on thinking about some choices.

I also vote for Glock or also the XD guns. I have both, and love both. I have QUICKLY become a Glock freak. I started the year with none...now own 3.

Arkie
April 30, 2006, 04:28 PM
And tell him that they come in pairs, like shoes.
And you would be more than happy to keep the other one for safe keeping and also will break it in for him. :D

lamazza
April 30, 2006, 06:17 PM
I, myself do not like the way a Glock feels, I much prefer the feel of a CZ, while a friend of mine thinks the XD was designed by God. All quality brands. Tell him to forget about status and popularity of name and get what what 'really' feel great to him.

gudel
April 30, 2006, 06:52 PM
Money is not a issue since he makes well over $100,000 a year and has a house and vehicle provided.

Suggest an HK. Friends don't let friends buy jammomatic.
I would not recommend an unreliable gun for a first time user ;)

evan price
April 30, 2006, 07:17 PM
SIG 220, .45acp. Get the Hogue rubber finger grips. And a set of Trijicon night sights. Have at least 3 mags for it. There are refurb LE tradein Sig 220's floating around now for $450-$500 range.

Or a good .357 revolver. I like Colt Series III myself.

Biker
April 30, 2006, 07:21 PM
As much as I love my Glocks, for non-dedicated personel, I would recommend a revolver in a light-recoiling .38.
Biker

Cueball
April 30, 2006, 10:27 PM
I would look at H&K or SIG

Nashmack
April 30, 2006, 10:34 PM
Might I suggest a nice 1911?:D It fits everyone's hands, no matter how big or small they are, and the 1911 just screams "MY BULLETS ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS!" :D

Leanwolf
May 1, 2006, 01:06 AM
BIKER - "As much as I love my Glocks, for non-dedicated personel, I would recommend a revolver in a light-recoiling .38."

Biker nailed it. Start him on a good revolver in .357 Mag., using .38 Sp. target loads. Safety! Familiarization! Fundamentals! Work and practice until he is very good with that, then into .357 Mag. loads. There's not a puke in the world who'll stand up to a good hit from a .357 Mag. in the right place.

Many people find that semi-auto pistols are not nearly as "user friendly" as they see in the movies and teeeveee.

JMHO. L.W.

Ala Dan
May 1, 2006, 03:14 AM
Cuz, once he picks one up he will discover it fits like a well made glove~!:cool:

Lupinus
May 1, 2006, 10:42 AM
1911, preferably Colt

Nashmack
May 1, 2006, 11:44 AM
He could always get a GLOCK FOTAY! as his first gun, and be the only one professional enough in the room to carry it. I stand by my 1911;)

murphy54
May 2, 2006, 09:51 AM
I suggest the makarov..or somethinq like....were I am from it is prefered by all special forces...it is russian

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you suggest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!