Walking around with an assault rifle

PDA

kennyboy
April 30, 2006, 04:07 PM
I was just wondering how people would react if I just started walking around town and going everywhere with an assault rifle strapped to my body. Do you think that more people would do this if I started? I think it might be comical to see some people's reactions when I walk past. lol. What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walking around with an assault rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RocketMan
April 30, 2006, 04:15 PM
Uh, yeah, okay...
The standard reaction from most: :eek:
The standard reaction from LE (somewhat dependant on where you live): :eek:

TallPine
April 30, 2006, 04:35 PM
I've seen that in downtown Billings. Nobody paid any attention as far as I could tell.

(except me ... I was trying to figure out what kind of rifle it was ;) )

mbs357
April 30, 2006, 04:39 PM
Do you even have an assault rifle?
That is, a select fire rifle firing an intermediate cartridge (I believe that's an accurate description).
But no, I wouldn't...assault rifles are too expensive to cart around all day.
Maybe something a bit cheaper?

dakotasin
April 30, 2006, 05:05 PM
depends where you live i guess. where i'm at, nobody would give it a second thought.

grimjaw
April 30, 2006, 05:23 PM
I've sold and traded rifles with folks in the parking lots of stores and whatnot. Didn't get any LE visits, and not too many strange glances that I remember. But those were just enough time for ID's and money to be exchanged and rifles to be examined. The only place under normal (therefor not SHTF) conditions I'd cart around a rifle are hunting and to/from the gunshow.

jmm

lamazza
April 30, 2006, 05:33 PM
Where I'm at it would be a very short walk :)

The Real Hawkeye
April 30, 2006, 05:37 PM
I was just wondering how people would react if I just started walking around town and going everywhere with an assault rifle strapped to my body. Do you think that more people would do this if I started? I think it might be comical to see some people's reactions when I walk past. lol. What do you think?In most places in the US you'd likely end up being shot by the cops. At the very least, you'd be proned at gunpoint. We've come a long way since the days of the minute man.

Jeff White
April 30, 2006, 05:39 PM
Let me tell you from personal experience, it's a pain in the butt. I carried an assault rifle around every where I went all day many times when I was in the Army.

They get heavy, even an M16A1 or M4 wears on you after 6 hours or so. They are unwieldy, they bang into things and you have to pay a lot of attention to the rifle so that you don't inadvertantly cover someone or something you're not willing to destroy with the muzzle.

If you are out in public you have to worry about little kids asking to touch it and hold it. You'll also have to put up with wannabes and posers wanting to strike up a conversation with you about their time in SOG when they HALO'd into Red China to steal a Ming vase to replace one a stateside general broke on a drunken night after coming home from the O club.....

There is a reason that we have pistols. They are portable. If you're carrying your pistol concealed instead of your assault rifle, you can probably walk into the bank lobby to open your Christmas Club account without making people think that one of the North Hollywood bank robbers escaped and has come to your home town.....A simple case of mistaken identiy like that could have somewhat interesting repercussions when the local police arrive to make sure you aren't the rumored third North Hollywood bank robber.....

It's up to you though...Personally I find all the downsides make it not worth my time to carry mine all the time anymore.

Jeff

cslinger
April 30, 2006, 05:50 PM
Too unwieldy. I much prefer a nice Ma Deuce on a pintal mount in the truck bed. Plenty of firepower, no muss, no fuss. :D :neener:

AndyC
April 30, 2006, 06:28 PM
Dianne Feinstein seems to be ok with it:

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/120/dftf26ss.jpg

"And, I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I'd walk to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me." - Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senate hearings on terrorism held in Washington, D.C. on April 27, 1995.

Not trained well enough to keep your finger off the trigger, eh, Dianne? Or even-minded enough to understand that those of us out here without bodyguards just want the same right to protect ourselves that you once enjoyed.

TMM
April 30, 2006, 06:59 PM
If i saw someone with an AK or AR strapped to thier back, i'd think: "MALL NINJA!!11eleventy-one!!11!"

Speaking of mall ninjas, today i saw two at a flea market. one was a guy, with an army-like shoulderpack, OD green jacket, camo cargo pants tucked into black leather boots, with dreadlocks and some kinda hat. the other was a girl, didn't see her very well. dressed similarly to the guy.

~TMM

akodo
April 30, 2006, 07:09 PM
here in MN, we have a personal protection act, not a CCW, regardless of what the media says, there is no concealed part, just the ability to have a gun on our about your person, etc. Concealed is how most do it, but you could legally walk around with an assault weapon on your back.

a TV station did do a stunt where they had a guy pack a snubnose unconcealed (I think it was tucked in the small of his back) to watch reactions. While some people balked and googleeyed, none scream and ran in terror. Some cops just did a doubletake, and cept on letting the guy go, that is a plus. Some cops did stop and ask for him to show paperwork, etc, especially I think after complaints.

MrTwigg
April 30, 2006, 08:45 PM
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/120/dftf26ss.jpg

A good example of what NOT to do with a gun in public ! :banghead:

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/images/dftf1.jpg

Get that finger offa that trigger you :cuss: ! :fire:

...and to think I can't even use the gun rack in my pick-up where I live !
(They're sold as "Fishing rod racks.".

AndyC
April 30, 2006, 08:59 PM
That's the problem with anti's - they don't even know the basics (as proven in the pic above), yet they want to tell us they know so much about guns?

Mannlicher
April 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
Why just wonder Kennyboy. Strap it on and head downtown!! I am sure you will find out pretty quick.

GroovedG19
April 30, 2006, 09:37 PM
No good will come out of walking with an assault rifle in the streets of my city.:uhoh: :eek: :scrutiny:

Hardware
April 30, 2006, 10:22 PM
Why would anyone put a drum magazine on a underfolding AK? You can't fold the stock with a drum magazine on it.

As far as walking around with a rifle, pistols are weapons of convenience. Your grab the longarms when you know there is trouble.

AndyC
April 30, 2006, 10:25 PM
Well, you can, actually - you just fold the stock first, then insert the mag. I agree it's a silly thing to do, though - forget about deploying the stock in a hurry with a drum-mag :)

Biker
April 30, 2006, 10:31 PM
I could get away with it in my State, I suppose. However, disregarding my appearance and lifestyle, I like to fly under the radar when possible.
Trouble has a way of finding a man when he's not looking for it. Why send out an invite?
Biker

Foxtrot427
April 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
Everybody would think its illegal and it would be a realy PITA.

LAR-15
April 30, 2006, 10:44 PM
Why would you carry a gun thats worth at least 8,000 dollars around all day? :confused:

One that has been banned for civilian ownership unless made prior to the passage of the FOPA in May of 1986

Black92LX
April 30, 2006, 10:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/IsraeliGirlsBuyIceCream.jpg

outofbattery
May 1, 2006, 12:06 AM
Lawful and prudent are 2 different things.If you live in a location where it wouldn't get much of a negative reaction,you probably wouldn't be asking this question.If you're looking for a way to make a political statement then feel free,but negative publicity doesn't do the rest of us gun owners any favors.Some people feel that the best way to make others aware of firearms is to carry openly and show people that it's possible to carry out your daily life as normal as anyone else with a gun on your hip,or shoulder as the case would be,but for every person that gets a positive outlook,how many have the "gun owning yahoo" stereotype more firmly cemented?
Personally,the only reason I could see doing it would be just as well served by wearing only a thong and a showercap to Wal Mart and taking test rides on the bicycles.If you want attention,that should do it for you.

grimjaw
May 1, 2006, 12:24 AM
Black92LX, is that a shot from somewhere in Israel?

jmm

Blue Jays
May 1, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hi kennyboy-

Give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out. As an aside, I'm wondering why those three Israeli girls buying ice cream have detached magazines on their weapons? Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm..."

~ Blue Jays ~

CAPTAIN MIKE
May 1, 2006, 01:10 AM
...Yes, but officer it's NOT an 'Assault Weapon'
It's a "Sport-Utility Rifle" fer crying out loud.

Medusa
May 1, 2006, 02:33 AM
Across the sea in Sweden military people hang around with assault rifles (AK5 - FNC clone), when going home from training some visit McDonalds with full gear.

outofbattery
May 1, 2006, 08:09 AM
Give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out. As an aside, I'm wondering why those three Israeli girls buying ice cream have detached magazines on their weapons? Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm..."

~ Blue Jays ~

Israeli law.Guns can't be carried with a loaded magazine so one ready to go is kept at close as hand as possible, which usually means rubberbanded to the gun.

Black92LX
May 1, 2006, 09:00 AM

jmm

yup. the magazines kind of give it away on that one.

High Planes Drifter
May 1, 2006, 09:22 AM
Depending on where you live, it could be very tragic. I dont think I would do it.

Thin Black Line
May 1, 2006, 09:41 AM

Either that or things have gotten really lax for the fobbits at Victory.

Zero_DgZ
May 1, 2006, 10:01 AM
Well, in my state where open carry is perfectly legal I got hassled, thrown to the ground and gunpoint, threatened, and searched for having the audacity to walk outside with a walking stick. I'd shudder to think what would happen if I actually had a long gun on me.

Mikee Loxxer
May 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
I used to have neighbor who would emerge from his home with an AR-15 loaded with a 30 round magazine. Nobody ever got upset about it. Then again most of the other neighbors probably new he was in the Sheriff's reserve so it was okay for him to carry around a fully loaded military rifle whereas the rest of us could never be trusted with such things.

ball3006
May 1, 2006, 11:18 AM
I do carry around my land in the country a semi auto AK clone. It keeps the natives;) wondering what kind of new neighbor we have now that we got rid of the druggies down the road...........:D There are too many feral pigs around not to go armed. Would I carry it in town? No. I just don't want to attract that much attention to myself........chris3

ambush
May 1, 2006, 11:36 AM
Try it here in NJ and you'd be given free room and board for awhile, courtesy of the state.

V4Vendetta
May 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
I seriously thought about doing this because in my state, although I'm old enough for a long gun with a 30 round high capacity magazine & open carry is legal, I'm not old enough for a pistol with a 7 shot magazine:rolleyes: . I ultimately decided against doing it. I heard that LEO's tend to panic when they see somebody with a AK:D .

Gordon Fink
May 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
The expression on that ice-cream cone is priceless. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/IsraeliGirlsBuyIceCream.jpg

Personally, I just wish I were allowed to carry a handgun.

~G. Fink

Molon Labe
May 1, 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm all for it.

We should exercise our rights to the maximum, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that we have have such rights.

carpettbaggerr
May 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
We should exercise our rights to the maximum, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that we have have such rights.Yep. When was the last time someone called the cops to report miscegenation? And what would the response be today?

'You want the police to investigate what? That's not illegal. CLICK

Blue Jays
May 1, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi All-

Those girls are probably as serious as a heartattack if the need arises. Interesting factoid about the magazines not being allowed in the weapons.

~ Blue Jays ~

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 1, 2006, 01:00 PM
We should exercise our rights to the maximum, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that we have have such rights.

I think that would be more likely to invoke the traditional American cry of "There ought to be a law against that!" rather than much else.

Carl N. Brown
May 1, 2006, 01:12 PM
img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/

IsraeliGirlsBuyIceCream.jpg
Someone tell Topanga at DU.COM to fergit aboud UZIs at the
ice cream truck! They have ARs at the Ice Creme Shoppe!!

nadeem
May 1, 2006, 01:45 PM
iv walked around a fairly busy area of town with an SA 80, got some very odd looks but i spose i live in england so thats fair enough...

austing
May 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
Leaving behind family and headed to basic training:
http://www.rachelpapo.com/serialno3817131/images/70.jpg

A soldier is nothing without her rifle:
http://www.rachelpapo.com/serialno3817131/images/82.jpg

At the PX:
http://www.rachelpapo.com/serialno3817131/images/02.jpg

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2006/04/israeli-soldiers.html
As Dr. Helen suggested, best to ignore the photographer's leftist commentary and view the photographs for what they are.

p.s. Sorry for the thread hijack but the thread title is "walking around with an assault rifle" and these soldiers are certainly walking the walk.

jerkyman45
May 1, 2006, 08:03 PM
I am moving to Israel. Tomorrow.

garrett1955
May 1, 2006, 08:47 PM
what jerkyman said! everyone has an AR with them :)

redloki
May 1, 2006, 08:55 PM
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

huaco
May 1, 2006, 09:01 PM
It's a bit of a special case but when they have the gunshows at Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston it's quite common to see folks walking around downtown with all kinds of rifles. I went to one shortly after Katrina and the $129 SKS rifles were going like hotcakes. I saw three in one block a few blocks from the show.

Yes there were also a lot of people just staring with their mouths open, shaking their heads, etc. Wish I had taken the camera.

todd740
May 1, 2006, 09:55 PM
akodo, In Minnesota the PPA specifically mentions the word Handgun so it does not apply to long guns/ assault rifles. So my gunrack is useless...:banghead:

SFvet
May 1, 2006, 10:28 PM
I carried a M4 Carbine with an M68 Optic and 180 rnds on a tact vest. It was my baby and yes I do miss her.... I dont miss the sore joints or numb limbs from the frigid climate during training excercises. I really did like that M4:) hehe

akodo
May 1, 2006, 11:03 PM
akodo, In Minnesota the PPA specifically mentions the word Handgun so it does not apply to long guns/ assault rifles. So my gunrack is useless...

Well good thing I didn't test the law!

Are you sure? I defiantely specifically recall the FIRST incarnation being about weapons, to the extent it covered the carrying of concealed knives as well as firearms.

Now, of course, the first incarntation of the PPA was a rider bill on some DNR legislation, so some obscure rule was used to make it unconstitutional (as it was unrelated to the base bill...except there are tons of other laws on MN books not held to this same scruitiny...and origianlly DNR firearms safty training was giong to be enough, but that was changed) But it was reintroduced as a standalone, with a few very minor changes, and passed with ease. It is possible changing it from weapons to handguns was one of these changes.

evan price
May 2, 2006, 12:19 AM
In Ohio open carry is legal. In hunting season you see all kinds of long guns openly displayed in my rural area. However: If you went walking around in downtown Columbus you would probably be proned out in short order, with an inciting panic or disorderly conduct charge against you.

todd740
May 2, 2006, 06:16 PM
I just double checked and it specifically mentions pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walking around with an assault rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!