name these gun parts!

PDA

redranger1
April 30, 2006, 09:10 PM
ok fellas, i have a box of misc. gun parts that im lookin to figure out whats what. i have got two of these and there arent any markings on them and they are parkerized. any clues? if ya need more pics or any info let me know and ill get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "name these gun parts!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AndyC
April 30, 2006, 09:21 PM
The second one's a .308 FN-FAL lower - the first is a 9mmP Brazilian URU/FAU sub-gun. If the FN-FAL receiver is also from Brazil, then it's likely to read "Imbel" on one side.

FN-FAL:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6784/fn2lt.jpg

Jac
April 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
First one appears to be a Mekanika Uru...

http://wapahani.com/smgm.html (scroll down a bit)

Edited to add:The Mekanika Uru is a Brazilian blowback type sub-machine-gun adopted by the Brazilian army in 1977. The Uru uses 17 parts, no pins and no screws and can be totally disassembled in 30 seconds. It is chambered for the 9 mm Parabellum round which it takes from a 30-round box magazine and fires at a rate of 750 rounds-per-minute or single shots. from here. (http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Uru&offset=0)

Jim K
April 30, 2006, 10:24 PM
If the 9mm receiver is for a sub-gun and you are in the U.S., the legal thing to do would be to turn it in to BATFE. Some folks might suggest you find a deep lake and make a deposit, but technically that would not be legal. There may have been some semi-auto versions imported, but I don't know of any.

The FAL receiver looks like the semi-auto, but I can't be sure and maybe better safe than sorry on that one too.

Jim

Bwana John
April 30, 2006, 11:48 PM
The picture is of a FAL LOWER receiver

The FAL receiver looks like the semi-auto, but I can't be sure and maybe better safe than sorry on that one too.
Legally FAL lowers have nothing to do with semi or select fire.

Most semi only, legal FAL lowers even have selectors that allow them to go into the "A" (or "D") position.

Select fire FALs have a "Sear Cut" ejector block in the UPPER RECEIVER, and a safety sear.

If the FN-FAL receiver is also from Brazil, then it's likely to read "Imbel" on one side.

I have never seen a Imbel manufactured lower marked "Imbel".

Redranger1,
What are the 3 letters on the port side, "S,E,D", or "S,R,A" ?

hso
May 1, 2006, 12:27 AM
Bwana John is correct.

The FAL lower has nothing to do with whether a FAL is selective fire or not.

Looks like a standard FAL lower for a fixed stock FAL. Someone over at FALfiles may be able to parse it further for you based on esoteric information like park color and other details.

Bwana John
May 1, 2006, 01:27 AM
Anybody speak Hebrew out there?
What would the letters look like for "Safe", "Semi", and "Auto"?

Matt G
May 1, 2006, 09:58 AM
Legally FAL lowers have nothing to do with semi or select fire.

The FAL lower has nothing to do with whether a FAL is selective fire or not.
Without regard to whether the statement makes sense, the real question, to BATFE, is whether it ever had been full auto, correct? "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" seems to be their motto. :(

If you came by them legally, it's time to check with the BATFE boys. If you came by them illegally, it's time to come clean. :)

I'm going to close this thread for now, while redranger1 sorts some stuff out and figures out what's what.

hso
May 1, 2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for leaving it open Matt.

The best place to check for any FN-FAL or L1A1 questions will always be FALFILES.com. It's the place I started to learn about them and the best and most knowledgable folks you can hope to find are there on this weapon.

Unlike AR/M-16 weapons, the "gun" part of the FAL is the upper receiver. The lowers are like the AR uppers. Reverse of what AR fans are used to.

The gun was designed to eat ammo made in 3rd world countries and do it with apomb.

I've got a Frankenfal L1A1, a Rhodi, a Meeper .223 para and an Izzy (currently looking for a receiver for the build). You could spend a fortune trying to collect the whole set considering the various liscenced nations and companies. Argi, Brazil, Canada, UK, Germany, Austria, India, South Africa, and the list goes on.

AndyC
May 1, 2006, 11:56 PM
I have never seen a Imbel manufactured lower marked "Imbel".Ugh, my bad - quite right. My head was up my whatsit there.

If you enjoyed reading about "name these gun parts!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!