Hollywood and guns

PDA

GlockMan86
April 30, 2006, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know of a hollywood movie that is pro-gun. I was trying to think of some, but just when i thought i found one, my friend corrected me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hollywood and guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chopinbloc
April 30, 2006, 11:35 PM
duh!

red dawn, if you count documentaries.

GlockMan86
April 30, 2006, 11:39 PM
Thats a good one

LAR-15
April 30, 2006, 11:49 PM
Red Dawn

Smokey Joe
May 1, 2006, 12:19 AM
Glockman--2 come to mind: "Open Range," starring and done by Kevin Costner, in which the citizens of the little town grabbed guns and helped rout the BG's, and "Starship Troopers," based on the R. A. Heinlein novel of the same title. The book is even better than the movie in any number of ways, but for what they used of the book to make the movie, I feel they Got It Right. Read Heinlein's version and the movie becomes clearer, besides it being a heckuva good read.

Justin
May 1, 2006, 12:36 AM
I hate Paul Verhoeven. The movie version of Starship Troopers was abysmal.

Progun movies:

Quigly Down Under, Uprising (The two-part miniseries about the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.)

dmckean44
May 1, 2006, 12:39 AM
"Starship Troopers" the movie, was satire and definately not pro-gun.

ABTOMAT
May 1, 2006, 10:41 AM
Starship Troopers was one of the most appallingly lousy big-budget movies I've ever seen. It was like some mediocre TV episode bloated in length.

Lupinus
May 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
Come on ABTO admit it, you've wondered what caliber for the bugs :D

And if you think the first one was bad you should see the second one :neener:

Freddymac
May 1, 2006, 11:28 AM
Tremors. The "gun-nuts" whip out their arsenal and save everyone.

Fred

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
May 1, 2006, 11:32 AM
FULL METAL JACKET

ApexinM3
May 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
Uh, Hello!

"Commando"-who here HASN'T seen the part where Ahnold breaks into the gunstore & finds the secret gun room? It's a lot like the high-end room at Cabelas but for us folks who like black guns.

Where else can you get a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher?!?:D

kjeff50cal
May 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
ApexinM3- Uh, Hello!

"Commando"-who here HASN'T seen the part where Ahnold breaks into the gunstore & finds the secret gun room? It's a lot like the high-end room at Cabelas but for us folks who like black guns.

Where else can you get a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher?!?

Commando is definately NOT a pro-gun movie..... It shows antis where we keep our REAL toys.:neener:

Clipper
May 1, 2006, 02:49 PM
...In ElDorado, tells James Cann to start carrying a gun and learn to shoot, and when Cann's character says his mentor didn't believe in guns, the Duke says "He's dead...Think about that".

Deanimator
May 1, 2006, 03:28 PM
All of the "Tremors" movies. They're practically a gunshow with a plot.

just one question
May 1, 2006, 03:32 PM
Desert Heat with John Claude Vandam

The gun store owner helps him out numerous times and town's people save him with their personal firearms at the end!

And who can forget death wish (escpecially the 3rd one)

Beachmaster
May 1, 2006, 03:33 PM
A lot of the older Western movies are pro gun. They show how the settlers used guns to defend against bad guys, hunt for food, etc.

The movie "Carbine Williams" is sort of pro gun. Its based on the true story of David Williams who invented the short stroke piston, which was later developed into the M1 30 cal carbine.

Cosmoline
May 1, 2006, 04:00 PM
Another vote for "Uprising." It was a made for TV movie a few years back but it's one of the best WWII films I've ever seen. Very matter-of-fact and very loyal to the documented facts. Right down to the street corners and the hour-by-hour events. It's almost the only film I know of about the Holocaust that doesn't take huge fictional liberties. The other one, also made-for-TV, was the excellent "Escape from Sobibor." If you go around watching films like "Schindler's List" and wonder why the Jews acted soo passively, remember you're seeing a work of fiction based very roughly on what actually took place--and one that leaves out large sections.

John G
May 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
Unforgiven, the movie where the brutal sheriff bans firearms (except for himself and his deputies.) When English Bob hands over his pistols, he is badly beaten by the sheriff, then incarcerated. When Bill Munny hands over his pistol, he is beaten nearly to death.

V4Vendetta
May 1, 2006, 04:07 PM
I vote for "Uprising". I saw Death Wish's 2-5 on TV once & out of all of them, I liked #3 the best. Nothing like a little taking back the streets from the gangs although it wasn't the most realistic gun movie ever made either.

I also loved "Big Jake" with Richard Boone. "I just saw something in your eye's I don't like. I saw a foolish thought.":cool:

EDIT: Thank's John G. I forgot about "Unforgiven". Anybody who thinks that we should limit guns to LEO's should watch that movie.

Cromlech
May 1, 2006, 04:23 PM
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

Guns are their only hope, so they work together and end up clearing out Andy's gun shop.

chopinbloc
May 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
the postman

tenbase
May 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
+1 Tremors 1-4

"Now, if you'll kindly lean your endangered carcass over my property line, we'll call your untimely demise 'self defense'." -Burt Gummer

Satch
May 1, 2006, 04:44 PM
Another take on this would be to write the 2 antigun US Senators from ********** and suggest they back a ban on Hollywood making any movies or TV movies or programs for 3 years that contain any "gun violence" of any kind. And then set back and watch them hollar "first ammendment rights,and artistic rights,etc and so on. Of coarse they probably wouldn't even answer your letters.:eek:

rero360
May 1, 2006, 04:54 PM
how about platoon and apocalypse now? outlaw josie wells, the dirty harry movies, the matrix, aliens (got to love the pulse rifle, and the MG on the steady cam mount)

panzermk2
May 1, 2006, 05:17 PM
The Patriot how could we forget that one!

Devonai
May 1, 2006, 05:25 PM
Where else can you get a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher?!?

Ahhnold was actually carrying the M202 White Phosphorous Launcher, a device intended to "paint" enemy armor so that somebody with something heavier could take it out. With the adoption of the M134 Anti-Armor rocket launcher (AT-4), the M202 became redundant.

I'd have to say that Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken is pro-gun. I mean, you have to be carrying to take on a town full of gangs.

Double Naught Spy
May 1, 2006, 06:26 PM
By "pro gun" you mean movies that only show guns in a positive light? If so, then there have to be almost none. There are a plethora of movies that depending on your view show guns positively at least part of time time in the movies.

You could say any movie with an armed bad guy is anti-gun, but that would be stupid. Just because bad guys use guns and are shown in movies does not make the movie anti gun, although many gun folks would have you believe it.

GlockMan86
May 1, 2006, 07:19 PM
Double Naught: I completely agree. Just once I want to see a movie (not about guns) that shows the main character stopping a mugging, or a rape or some such thing. And then the movie just goes on with no other mention of firearms. That (to me) would be a true pro-gun movie.

1911JMB
May 1, 2006, 07:36 PM
In John Milius's (red dawn director) directorial debut, he changed history so that a bunch of farmers could kill Harry Pierpoint instead of the G men that actually killed him. He also made sure to place extra's in the backgound dressed as armed civilians in an armed stand off scene.

In some James Earl Jones movie (don't remember the title) he pulls a revolver on some punks who tried to mug him. Although, I suppose that doesn't count, because he was playing a cop. Next of Kin also coes to mind, but I'm not sure how pro-gun that one is. Might just be more pro-hick.

usp9
May 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

That movie made want to grab a gun and start...:evil:

I have the same reaction to Jane Fonda movies.

ReadyontheRight
May 1, 2006, 08:33 PM
The Omega Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067525/) With The President :)

Jeremiah Johnson (with :barf: robert :barf: redford :barf: )

Waitone
May 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
Any movie featuring Tom Selleck. I observe anytime Selleck interacts with firearms in a movie it is a textbook example of the reality of firearms and their proper usage. Saw another one last night. He and his sidekick were sighting in an AR-15. Hearing protection and eye protection. Spotter scope was used. Fire was adjusted using an empty case. End of the move Selleck has to draw on serious badguy. The guy went down hard. Selleck kept shooting until the guy was not longer a threat and no more. He goes home after a hard day at the office (he's a police chief), walks to his bar, pulls off his firearm (looks like a colt commander with Novak sights), places it on the table, and then proceeds to drink an adult beverage.

I don't know if you consider that to be pro-gun but I enjoy seeing Hollywood product that deals with the reality of firearms and not traditional Hollywood BS.

robert garner
May 1, 2006, 08:44 PM
Especially the first episode, ever wonder why that isn't on syndication?

spaceCADETzoom
May 1, 2006, 08:52 PM
If anyone thought "VERHOVEN's STARSHIP TROOPERS" had anything to do with Heinlein's book that happens to have the same name, that person doesn't understand really heavy-handed satire.

Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is slightly less pro-gun than it is pro-military (read: it's the opposite). Verhoven spits on Heinlein, on the military and on most specifically WWII veterans. I might have repsected it as a movie if it shedded its "starshp troopers" name, but then it would have lost half of the satire. Here's the SAT analogy...Verhoven's Starship Troopers : Heinleins Starship Troopers :: Mars Attacks : War of the Worlds...only for Mars Attacks/WOTW, the purpose was comedy and entertainment...Verhoven on the other hand, thinks he's smarter than he is.

John-Melb
May 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
Quigley - great flick
Red Dawn - ditto
Uprising - great, a group of people responding to tyranny by saying "up yours" and reinforcing that with guns, plus you get to see Leelee Sobieski's bum!

akodo
May 1, 2006, 10:42 PM
the man who shot liberty valance - title may not be exactly right.

The guy from 'it's a wonderful life' comes to town and tries to improve it, but is thwarted by bandits. Nice man can wave law in the bandit's face all day long, but it does no good. Eventually, to keep law, one must be ready to apply force. Used to mean a bunch of men in formation with spears. Today it means firearms.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
May 1, 2006, 11:06 PM
What about the tv show MAIL CALL.

evan price
May 2, 2006, 12:10 AM
You want realistic gun handling, try Heat...

Any film directed by John Wu... :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000247/

I loved Lashou Shentan (Titled 'Hard Boiled' in US)... it was the first of the John Wu trademark double fisted gun battles at point blank range... they went on to do the same thing in the John Wu directed film starring John Claude Grand Am.. err.. Van Damme..and in that one you get to see both John Claude with my favorite shotgun of all time, a Mossberg M590 Mariner, as well as Wilfred Brimley ("Now that's good oatmeal!") as the raging Cajun with a bow and arrow shooting people!

Or how about Patriot Games, with Harrison Ford? If you read the book by Tom Clancy instead, it is much more pro-gun, with Ford's character, Ryan, using his personal shotgun and a Browning Hi-Power to defend his family from the terrorists. In the end of the book it comes down to, should he put one 9mm through the head of the terrorist leader in a dark container ship, or not? Really powerful writing, you can just see yourself there. As usual the movie took liberties with the book, like the movie's crap ending where the guy falls on an anchor and is impaled. Sorry, book was more realisitic.

Hell, read any Tom Clancy novel, he's as pro gun as they get!

Ditto Unforgiven. Of all the Clint Eastwood movies I've seen, that one was by far the best.

She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition. When she died, it was not at his hands as her mother might have suspected, but of smallpox. That was 1878.

Some years later, Mrs. Ansonia Feathers made the arduous journey to Hodgeman County to visit the last resting place of her only daughter. William Munny had long since disappeared with the children... some said to San Francisco where it was rumored he prospered in dry goods. And there was nothing on the marker to explain to Mrs. Feathers why her only daughter had married a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

Low-Sci
May 2, 2006, 02:10 AM
Legends of the Fall?

Guns are used on more than one occasion to preserve life and limb, including one very memorable sequence with a police car and a large caliber single shot rifle.

Great movie, whether it qualifies or not for being pro-gun, as such.

Warren
May 2, 2006, 04:12 AM
Two pages in and no one has mentioned The Magnificent Seven?!?!

Damn it people, one of the greatest movies ever made, it shows what arms in private hands can do to stop evil.

Also: The Professionals another wonderful Western that showcased skill-at-arms and tactics.

And yes, any Selleck movie is going to be pro-gun as he is pro-gun.

But have there been any movies that were explicitly pro-gun? That is there was a point made to promote the idea, I don't know.

Doggieman
May 2, 2006, 05:48 AM
he's always got a cool gun. In fact wasn't there a gun company that paid the Bond movie machine $$ so that Bond would debut their gun in a movie?

Ramius
May 2, 2006, 11:14 AM
+1 on any Tom Seleck movie, "Monte Walsh" and "Quigley" would have to be my favorites.... anybody feel up to posting a comprehensive list?

John Wayne, American.... Big Jake was the very first movie I ever saw in a Cinema, my late grandfather took me there, just before teaching me to shoot, a side-by-side .410 shotgun....:D

It's taking all of my self restraint to keep from listing some of my favorite movie quotes.. no matter, you know them all I'm sure...

Still waiting to find out John Ross has found a worthy director for the movie version of "Unintended Consequences"... Think Milius would be up to the challenge? Who plays Henry Bowman?

White Horseradish
May 2, 2006, 12:09 PM
And nobody mentioned the Death Wish series? Heck, just about anything with Charles Bronson...

As far as the Postman, I've read the book and I thought it had a better outlook on guns than the movie did. I really like how David Brin described gun owners - "Mostly they were men indulging a harmless passion for rifles"

If you enjoyed reading about "Hollywood and guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!