Knock down safes.

PDA

Otherguy Overby
May 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
Some time back, maybe even here, I saw a post with a link to a manufacturer in Iowa (I think) that sold knock down safes for the general consumer. They were light enough to use on the second story of wood frame houses. You attached them to the structure from the inside and when the door was on and closed they were reasonably secure.

Searching with google and THR searches have netted me nothing.

Can anyone help?

If you enjoyed reading about "Knock down safes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SJG26
May 1, 2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.zanottiarmorsafes.com/index.html

I know 2 friends that have them----nice quality!

orygunmike
May 1, 2006, 12:17 PM
Here is the link I have for Zanotti...I think this link has better pictures and information on the products....

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

carpettbaggerr
May 1, 2006, 01:01 PM
Nice idea, but wayyyyyy too expensive. They don't seem to have prices on the website, but I sent for a brochure years ago. The prices were ridiculous.

mainmech48
May 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
Sure, they cost more than a conventionally made safe of comparable quality and security. The design is unique, patented, and extremely practical on several levels.

Even the largest Zanotti model can be unloaded from the truck by two or three people of average strength, even in the absence of a lift gate. Try that with your 25-gun Browning, Ft Knox, or the like. As common carrier delivery contracts are almost always "to the curb", this is no small consideration. The driver will not help you get it off the truck, nor will he wait for you to assemble the manpower to do it. Same for getting it from the curb into your home - your problem.

You can negotiate with most local dealers for delivery, and sometimes even installation. Don't expect it to be cheap, and plan on paying a lot more if you want it anywhere but on the ground floor. If you entertain any fantasies of being able to get 800-odd lbs. of metal even to the other side of a room using appliance rollers or a dolly, give my regards to Santa and the Easter Bunny.

If you want or need to change your address, count on spending about 50% of what that safe cost you to have it moved if it weighs 350 lbs or more. Check it out; you'll be appalled.

When I factor-in the practical problems I avoided, such as getting a 25-gun unit off of the truck, into my house, and down a flight of stairs into my basement (not to mention what the professional help necessary to accomplish the above would've cost) I figure that my Zanotti was a bargain.

Husker1911
May 1, 2006, 06:18 PM
I love my Zanotti, it's larger than the standard sized safe/vault. I've moved twice since I've owned it, and that fact alone makes it extremely valuable to me. Zanotti evidently had some trouble in the past with Sargent & Greenleaf locks, and so they don't utilize those industry-standard locks. I'd prefer they used S & L, but that's my only beef with the Zanotti.

Mike Sr.
May 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
"Nice idea, but wayyyyyy too expensive. They don't seem to have prices on the website, but I sent for a brochure years ago. The prices were ridiculous."

Until the break into your house and take your guns.... lousy argument!

eagle45
May 1, 2006, 08:06 PM
If you want or need to change your address, count on spending about 50% of what that safe cost you to have it moved if it weighs 350 lbs or more. Check it out; you'll be appalled.

I have a 900 pound Heritage safe that I got on sale for about $1600 two years ago. I paid a local safe mover $150 to deliver it when I bought it. He moved it for me this year for the same price. It was about 20 miles one way both times. I thought that was reasonable.

Otherguy Overby
May 1, 2006, 11:16 PM
So far, thanks all. Yes, Zanotti was the company I was thinking of.

Seems the majority opinion is they are great safes.

I'll call 'em tomorrow to find out the prices...:what:

dmckean44
May 2, 2006, 07:33 AM
You can negotiate with most local dealers for delivery, and sometimes even installation. Don't expect it to be cheap, and plan on paying a lot more if you want it anywhere but on the ground floor. If you entertain any fantasies of being able to get 800-odd lbs. of metal even to the other side of a room using appliance rollers or a dolly, give my regards to Santa and the Easter Bunny.

I've moved my safe around inside my house twice since I had it professionally installed (wife is never happy with things in one place). It's 800 lbs and not too difficult to manuver around with a dolly. Certainly no more difficult than moving a refridgerator.

dfaugh
May 2, 2006, 07:37 AM
If you entertain any fantasies of being able to get 800-odd lbs. of metal even to the other side of a room using appliance rollers or a dolly, give my regards to Santa and the Easter Bunny.

I used to be professional safe mover...2 of us used to move everything up to about 4000 lbs. Add a 3rd person for stairs or safes over 4000 lbs. (and, yes, I've moved 6000 lb safes up and down stairs---down is much easier!) Gunsafes were always moved with a refrigerator dolly by the 2 of us (heavier ones with door removed), stairs never a problem.

flashman70
May 2, 2006, 02:30 PM
Like your name, Otherguy. that was a great series of books...Artie Wu and his partner......I forget his name. "Wasn't me, must have been some other guy."

flashman70
May 2, 2006, 02:32 PM
PS - I have a Zanotti on order. They start around $1000 and go up. Takes about 10 weeks.....I'm waiting patiently.

Otherguy Overby
May 2, 2006, 03:03 PM
flashman70 Like your name, Otherguy.

that was a great series of books...Artie Wu and his partner......I forget his name. "Wasn't me, must have been some other guy."

He also wrote as Oliver Bleek. Any some of his book titles were almost as good as his books... "Cast a Yellow Shadow", "Singapore Wink", "The Fools in Town are on Our Side", "If You can't be good" and more...

I can hijack my own thread I think.

Thanks!

Otherguy Overby
May 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
I talked with Mark, with who I had a pleasant conversation. The prices run from 1089 for the small safe to 2120 or so for the largest.

Turns out the Mark I was talking with was Mark Zanotti... Said he was the head janitor... :) I should'a asked for a THR discount. So, when I get back home around the end of the summer, I'll prolly order one, too.

I really do like the idea of being able to move a safe by myself. I've moved several times (sans safe) pretty much without prevailing on friends. I can't see how a person could survive without access to a car trailer with a ramp door for moving.

mrrick
May 2, 2006, 03:49 PM
How come I never heard of them before?
I need another safe (80 guns jammed into a 16 gun safe), I'm definitely checking these out.

a1abdj
May 2, 2006, 05:29 PM
Modular safe systems are not anything new, as they have been used on the commercial side of the business for years.

I am not overly familiar with the gun safe versions, but will put in my 2 cents.

Modular units are great if a one piece safe is too large or too heavy to move through a structure. One piece safes are generally preferred as they are typically stronger. Modular bank vaults start out as multiple panels, but are welded into place once set creating a one piece unit whereas these gun safes simply use pins to hold them together.

If you can get a normal safe where you need it, I would look at one of those first. If you have narrow passages or other weight issues, then these modular safes may be worth the extra money.

GunFixer
May 23, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yep, I have a Zanotti Gun Safe. They are great. I am getting ready to order the next size up, the ZIII. Where I have my safe, the only way that I could get one in the room was to get a Zanotti. Once I put it together, there is no way that anyone could get it out of there. They would have to tear down the walls. I could move everything myself except the door. That, I needed a friends help with.

Their website is http://www.zanottiarmor.com. Don't go to this site... zanottiarmorsafes.com, they are out of business I think and they just haven't taken the site down. I think that they were a distributor a couple of years ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knock down safes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!